As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blizzard to restore Classics: Diablo 2 Resurrected September 23rd!

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Diablo MMO. WoW is still going, but a dark MMO would be great.

And then ruin it! By making Nephalem a hidden class that you can unlock by finding Holocrons Forgotten Souls and then the whole server becomes Nephalem and trivializes content.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »

And then ruin it! By making Nephalem a hidden class that you can unlock by finding Holocrons Forgotten Souls and then the whole server becomes Nephalem and trivializes content.

I think I'd be down for a StarCraft MMO, but I think the likelihood of Blizzard cannibalizing the WoW player base is remote, at best.
    Still, Worlds of Starcraft... has a ring to it, I think.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'd play Diablo World, or Star-ablo. Both sound like fun ideas. Make a Marine class and go ham on some zergs.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I want a star-ablo where you're the zerg going ham on marines.

group needs 2 muta, +2 defense only, no glass cannons.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    On the one hand, mixing up their franchises and genres seems like the easiest thing to do.

On the other hand, that also seems like something a hackier studio/publisher would do.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I mean, the RTS genre is pretty well dead. I think the reason we haven't seen WC4 or SC3 is because they know nobody will buy it. And even if longtime fans do buy it and they get a moderate amount of box sales, the game(s) would have no long term life. They'd be dead on launch.

I think they'd actually have a better chance selling a ton of boxes if they copied the XCOM formula and made a super tactical, hard as hell, turn-based game in the SC universe.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I mean, the RTS genre is pretty well dead. I think the reason we haven't seen WC4 or SC3 is because they know nobody will buy it. And even if longtime fans do buy it and they get a moderate amount of box sales, the game(s) would have no long term life. They'd be dead on launch.

I think they'd actually have a better chance selling a ton of boxes if they copied the XCOM formula and made a super tactical, hard as hell, turn-based game in the SC universe.

After reading your first paragraph, I thought you were way off the mark. After reading your second paragraph, I would very much like to subscribe to your newsletter.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    GMaster7 wrote: »

After reading your first paragraph, I thought you were way off the mark. After reading your second paragraph, I would very much like to subscribe to your newsletter.

While obviously Xcom as an old, established franchise has been profitable (so has Starcraft incidentally), I'm not sure "RTS is dead, so double down on Xcom-clones!" is a super-sensible, safe strategy if Blizzard is looking to play it safe. Would I buy an Starcraft Xcom-clone? Absolutely. But that's getting to be a crowded market (Gears of War, a franchise with both the setting and virtually defining the cover-based shooter genre, is trying to, and I'm absolutely going to buy that) as it is. Maybe that's overly cautious, though.

If the solution is "unexploited genres with room to grow"--Blizzard should partner with Classic Assembly, and finally make Total Warcraft (speaking of extremely suitable crossovers). The one disadvantage would be getting it onto consoles, though the same could be said about a Starcraft Xcom depending on how its handled.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    My legit dream game from blizzard is actually a Diablo Starcraft. I love the world of Starcraft, but I hate RTS games, a Starcraft loot dungeon crawler would be a dream

Just to make it feel different than Diablo, I would love to see a twin stick shooter with loot and special abilities for different classes set in the Starcraft universe.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Gas Powered Games released Space Siege a while back, though it wasn't received the best.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    A diablo style ARPG set in the starcraft universe would be amazing

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Blizzard should make the zerg go back in time and merge with Diablo and they could call the game Zergablo.

Rakazergnishblonu

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Eh Genres don't die. They just aren't as profitable as the current big thing. Once an indie studio makes an amazing one that posts big numbers everyone will be making them again.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

Eh, the Warcraft 3 expansion was released in 2003 and Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty was announced in 2007 released in 2010. We're only just approaching the third anniversary of Legacy of the Void this November (God, really?). I can see them still being deep in development on RTS6 and think it's too early to show.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Fuck this. It's time for them to blow the dust of Ghost and give it a proper release.

Also a Rimworld/Frostpunk/[my brain stopped working but that base building game with zombie hordes] They Are Billions type game in the StarCraft universe.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Sure it's dead right now, but turn based tactical games were dead before xcom came out and revitalized the genre. We just need the xcom of rts.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I just want a modern Rock n Roll racing and Lost Vikings. Maybe even Blackthorne if they are feeling particularly nostalgic. (Or even just Switch releases of the original SNES games)

nusu on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Fuck this. It's time for them to blow the dust of Ghost and give it a proper release.

Also a Rimworld/Frostpunk/[my brain stopped working but that base building game with zombie hordes] type game in the StarCraft universe.

Zombie horde game: They Are Billions?
    Could be fun, but isn't that pretty much just an upscaled tower defense?
    Though, that's like saying all the MOBAs are basically DOTA.

I suppose it makes sense to split the RTS genre into some different genres. A genre for the people who hate base building and moving armies about and prefer just handling a single hero unit. Another for people who don't particularly care about moving armies and last hitting and the like, but would rather just build bases and watch waves of enemies smash against them. And a third where you just get a small army of grunts to handle, but don't worry about the base or hero units, just preserving the small squad you've got.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

Also a Rimworld/Frostpunk/[my brain stopped working but that base building game with zombie hordes] type game in the StarCraft universe.

Zombie horde game: They Are Billions?
    Could be fun, but isn't that pretty much just an upscaled tower defense?
    Though, that's like saying all the MOBAs are basically DOTA.

I suppose it makes sense to split the RTS genre into some different genres. A genre for the people who hate base building and moving armies about and prefer just handling a single hero unit. Another for people who don't particularly care about moving armies and last hitting and the like, but would rather just build bases and watch waves of enemies smash against them. And a third where you just get a small army of grunts to handle, but don't worry about the base or hero units, just preserving the small squad you've got.

I forgot They Are Billions was a thing. I should get back into that. Really fun game, just needed more polish and units/variability.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Gas Powered Games released Space Siege a while back, though it wasn't received the best.

If I remember, Space Siege was sci-fi Dungeon Siege...so not exactly a twin-stick shooter, but more of a dungeon-crawler.

And all this talk about RTS as a genre being dead makes me want to point out that "hibernation" may be a better word to use. From the sounds of things, Age of Empires 4 is being made and is being made by Relic. Personally, I think a Warcraft RTS would still work just fine and wouldn't cannibalize the Starcraft 2 scene (the worlds are different enough that there wouldn't be all that much overlap between unit themes). But, maybe more than a Warcraft RTS, the one thing I'd absolutely love to see is a Warcraft Soulsborne game.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind a crunchier dungeon crawler set in Diablo.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I think a game like Final Fantasy Tactics could work but made multiplayer. Like Wakfu but not gawdy anime f2p front-loaded and open-ended nonsense. Could even dip into the DOS2 style, or XCOM.

Unfortunately that kind of system seems to lend itself most to the warcraft universe and I figured they'd go for Diablo or Starcraft.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I think I'd be down for a StarCraft MMO, but I think the likelihood of Blizzard cannibalizing the WoW player base is remote, at best.
    Still, Worlds of Starcraft... has a ring to it, I think.

Y'know the original core concept for Overwatch was an MMO so I don't think they're against the idea of making a new MMO.

Whether or not such a thing would use an existing IP is probably up in the air. I suppose considering that the original core of Overwatch was a new IP kinda leads me to suspect any future MMO (that isn't WoW 2) would likely be a new IP. Though IMHO if they are to do a new full on MMO then WoW 2 would make the most sense to me.

However if they want to make a Destiny style online game I feel like Starcraft would work real well. I'd be down with that.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    While we're going down this road, a StarCraft version of Republic Commando would be balls-out fun.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Basically more StarCraft, but packaged in a way that doesn't constantly make me feel like an inferior baby gamer for being so terrible, would be great. I want more hick marines and hydralisks.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Actually, I know I'm going to be 'that guy' now, but I wouldn't mind if FromSoftware and Blizzard art team came together to make a Diablo DarkSouls.

....okay, I'll go stand in the corner now.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

I see your Star Wars Galaxies Jedi reference. No one else might have, but I saw it. 8-)

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Actually, I know I'm going to be 'that guy' now, but I wouldn't mind if FromSoftware and Blizzard art team came together to make a Diablo DarkSouls.

I'd be 'that guy' as well, we can form a club.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I'd love a Diablo game that changed perspective, into a third person action rpg.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »

I'd be 'that guy' as well, we can form a club.

And then it has an optional mode where if you die too much to a boss the nephelm shows up and wrecks it's shit, like the Invincibility Leaf 3D land.

• Options
    Actually, I now I'm going to be 'that guy' now, but I wouldn't mind if FromSoftware and Blizzard art team came together to make a Diablo DarkSouls.

....okay, I'll go stand in teh corner now.

For a long time I really wanted to see a Valve/Blizzard collaboration.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Actually, I now I'm going to be 'that guy' now, but I wouldn't mind if FromSoftware and Blizzard art team came together to make a Diablo DarkSouls.

It comes out in 2083.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

It comes out in 2083.

Well, the initial release date. There will be a further 39 years of delays.

And then it’ll get cancelled.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    My legit dream game from blizzard is actually a Diablo Starcraft. I love the world of Starcraft, but I hate RTS games, a Starcraft loot dungeon crawler would be a dream

Diablo 4 is set in the HotS universe.

• Options
    If they hadn't done HotS, I wonder if we would have gotten a Warcraft IV moba.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    my assumption is that they've probably tried like 15 times to make a moba-themed battleground in wow

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If they hadn't done HotS, I wonder if we would have gotten a Warcraft IV moba.

Warcraft MOBA anyway. That's basically where the RTS genre went. And we can all thank Warcraft III for this.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Growing up, I always associated Blizzard with creativity, because of their map editors. They've gotten away from that in recent years, but I'd love to see a new title built with player-generated content in mind.

I guess StarCraft II had a pretty in depth map editor? It seems like it didn't quite click with people the same way the old ones did. Or maybe "spawns an entirely new popular game genre" is unrealistic to expect every time.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Growing up, I always associated Blizzard with creativity, because of their map editors. They've gotten away from that in recent years, but I'd love to see a new title built with player-generated content in mind.

I guess StarCraft II had a pretty in depth map editor? It seems like it didn't quite click with people the same way the old ones did. Or maybe "spawns an entirely new popular game genre" is unrealistic to expect every time.

the SC2 map creator did click with people, it's much more powerful than the warcraft 3 editor, it's so flexible you can make shit like shmups and first person shooters in it. It just didn't spawn any breakout phenomenons like Warcraft 3's editor spawned Dota, yeah.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've never played any custom built maps in Starcraft 2. I wasn't really into it for Warcraft 3 on my own - this forum was what turned me on to a lot of custom maps that showed up there. But Starcraft 2 I only go for the singleplayer campaign, and my few times talking about the game here there was never any passive reception of "hey there's this map someone made."

Kinda sucks because I still remember a lot of the demonstration Blizzard put out for the map editor. Freaking amazing tool to put in the hand of players. I think at this point there's so much easily distributed content out there from other games / small devs that Blizzard map editors just can't keep up.