As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    If a ghost could fuck over HOAs I'd refuse to bust it. It was performing a good service.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    "WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAHHHHH FUUUUCK THOSE PEOPLE DAVID PUT A BASKETBALL HOOOOOP UP! WOOOO!"

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    If you live in a historic district, I think ghosts are like windows. You can't get rid of any original ghosts, but you're not allowed to bring new ghosts in either.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Haunt Owners Association

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The Toys R Us ghost revisited.
    https://youtu.be/EJkYMThboTc

It is really the same as before, but with a little more info

I remember this from an episode of some show where they did a full reenactment.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I think every town has that one spooky house. I bet even planned communities have ghosts. Planned ghosts.

Do you think a ghost could get you in trouble with an HOA? Like "uh hey so this neighborhood has some pretty strict noise ordinances in place and the Robertson's heard you rattling chains and wailing well into the early hours of the morning."

The haunted house in my town has also been on TV and had two books about it. It really gives the impression of a place you would want to avoid.

Of course, it could all be made up.

Krathoon on
    Of course, I could all be made up.

The true existential horror of life.

Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Of course, I could all be made up.

The true existential horror of life.

For some reason, I enter "I" instead of "It" on my smartphone.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Speaking of things being all made up, I've been watching BuzzFeed Unsolved and I really love Shane as the skeptic on the show, just because he has such fun with stuff. Like "haha fuck you demons if you're real and not a total wuss you'll fuck me up super hard" and then Ryan is like "UUHHHHHH CAN WE NOT" and it's cute and I like it

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    The Toys R Us ghost revisited.
    https://youtu.be/EJkYMThboTc

It is really the same as before, but with a little more info

I remember this from an episode of some show where they did a full reenactment.

I too remember this. It freaked me out so much that I almost had a complete meltdown in the first TRU I was ever in as a kid when my parents briefly disappeared around a corner. Then I think my parents bought me a Link to the Past.

Now Toys-R-Us is the ghost :(

Strangly enough, Best Buy has started to sell toys.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    We didn't have a haunted house in my town, but a haunted stretch of road. There's some old ruined foundations in the woods just outside the modern town that are from the 1800s. The story goes that one of the foundations was a family home that was hit hard by a flu outbreak, maybe the 1889-90 Russian flu pandemic, and that the father of the family left to try to get medicine from Chicago (my hometown is in SW Michigan). The youngest daughter of the family was the only one not to contract the flu basically at the onset, so she took care of her sick family members and would walk out to the road to watch for her father. However, something happened to her father and he never returned, but she continued to watch for him every day until she herself became ill and died.

People say you can see her ghost standing by the roadside at night. I've never personally seen her, but friends and acquaintances swore they did.

one big gripe with buzzfeed unsolved: their friggin mothman episode. they don't talk about the collapse of the silver bridge, they barely talk about the strange phone calls and men in black sightings that mothman witnesses reported, they skip a lot of details and stuff

granted

it's not like a youtube show was gonna prove the fuckin mothman exists

but it's still a neat story that deserves to be told in it's entirety

I checked a website and there are lots of hauntings in St. Louis and to the west

What is a good place to read about Mothman?

Oh there's all sorts of resources for Mothman. I read about him in a book of cryptids I got from my elementary school library and then also the Richard Gere movie (how can one human being contain so much handsomeness it's truly a Big Mystery©) but there is, on fact, an official Wiki for the Mothman and a website dedicated to the Mothman called mothmanlives that has been in operation for a really long time now.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    The Mothman episodes of the Astonishing Legends podcast are great!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    My hometown was so old it didn't have a haunted house so much as a haunted hole in the ground called the Dingle Hole.
    Apparently witches would transform into weasels and racoons and owls and stuff and hang out around this small, deep, black pond (it's still there, it was on my school bus route). A hunter once ran into one of these supposed witches in her animal form and claimed his shotgun did nothing so he stuffed some holly into it and shot her in her racoon face and that drove her off. Soon after the local hag in town was seen covering her scarred face.

Witches hanging out in animal form communing with the devil is probably what people did before founding the original furry conventions, I assume.

TankHammer on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    my favorite Mothman is the Shin Megami Tensei version

Xzxy3US.png

look at that li'l guy! !

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Oh there's all sorts of resources for Mothman. I read about him in a book of cryptids I got from my elementary school library and then also the Richard Gere movie (how can one human being contain so much handsomeness it's truly a Big Mystery©) but there is, on fact, an official Wiki for the Mothman and a website dedicated to the Mothman called mothmanlives that has been in operation for a really long time now.

that movie unsettled me in a way that very few do

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Shooting at or stabbing or whatever witches when they're in animal form and then seeing them in human form with the same wounds is a pretty common story

my upstate New York family have a story about how their great grandpa and a bunch of other people formed a mob and chased a 'witch' out of town after a rash of logging accidents that they blamed on her. She died overnight, froze to death huddled against a tree.

they didn't take kindly to my "okay so your beloved family story is about how ol' grampy and his friends chased some poor woman out of her home and left her to freeze to death? About how they murdered or at least manslaughtered that lady? I hate coming up here."

Personally, we had a farmer who got tired of us trampling his corn while we were playing night-time games so he came out, yelling bloody murder and wielding a scythe and scared the shit out of us, so that turned into a story about how the cornfield was haunted that we told all the new kids.

Depressperado on

I read a ton of those when I was a kid. There would be genuinely spooky stuff like the Mothman, but then they'd spend thirty pages on Gef the Talking Mongoose and I'd get real annoyed with them. It's like what the hell are we even doing, book, I'm here to wreck my sleep cycle for the next month with monster worries and you're wasting my time with this cut-rate Disney crap.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Sorry dorks this is the definitive moth(monster)man oriign
    https://youtu.be/1GM6l__cVqM

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited October 2018
    when I was a lad, pretty young, still in elementary school, I found an old book of cryptids and mythological creatures that fucked me up pretty good for a while

especially the Flatwoods Monster

xc20pyl.jpg

I spent a week certain that I would look down my hallway or out the window and see that motherfucker

edit: woah @Metzger Meister I didn't even see your post! does every elementary school library have that book?

Depressperado on
    also I love the Jersey Devil, I'd spend hours reading about it on shitty geocities sites

imagine my delight when I started watching the X-Files and one of the first season episodes is about the Jersey Devil

now imagine my fury and disappointment when it turned out it was just fucking cavemen living in the woods

There is a particular Scary Stories book that has really disturbing illustrations.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The Jersey Devil in New Johnny Quest was a British loyalist who stole the real US constitution and the founding fathers made a fake one the real drafters apparently never read before signing

The episode ends with the Quest family asking what the fuck happens to the country now.
    Its never mentioned again

Oh also the Devil.just kidnapped kids to keep his bloodline alive and apparently The Villiaged them for 200 years

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Here is that disturbing series.
    Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark Series: More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark; Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark 3 (Book sets for Kids: Grade 3 and Up) by Alvin Schwartz (1981) Paperback https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZQB6AW0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.f3ZBbV2YJ79A

Shorty wrote: »

that movie unsettled me in a way that very few do

Absolutely. A lingering sense of oppressive dread throughout, thoroughly underrated movie. Also, and I cannot stress this enough, Richard Gere is unbelievably handsome.

But yeah I feel like that movie gets a lot of undue and overly harsh criticism.

• LikeaBoshLikeaBosh Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Just found this thread, and I LOVE cryptids. Recently got to learn about all kinds of weird ones from locals in Latin American countries, like the Pishtaco in Peru, who kills travelers to steal their fat. Made for some uncomfortable nights camping, especially when random people would approach our tent at night. Usually, they just wanted to share a drink or sell us stuff, but it kept us on our toes.

The Jersey Devil in New Johnny Quest was a British loyalist who stole the real US constitution and the founding fathers made a fake one the real drafters apparently never read before signing

The episode ends with the Quest family asking what the fuck happens to the country now.
    Its never mentioned again

Oh also the Devil.just kidnapped kids to keep his bloodline alive and apparently The Villiaged them for 200 years

You know, sometimes you suspect that the things you watched when you are a kid were complete garbage, even though you thought they were awesome.

This is not one of those times.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The Jersey Devil ep of Johnny Quest is one of the best ones they did

Here is that disturbing series.
    Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark Series: More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark; Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark 3 (Book sets for Kids: Grade 3 and Up) by Alvin Schwartz (1981) Paperback https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZQB6AW0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.f3ZBbV2YJ79A

In 3 days they're wrapping up principal production on Guillermo Del'torro's film adaptation of the books.

Here is a site that has an index of haunted places and little stories about them. Apparently, people into the paranormal have out of date web skills.

http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    That site is old as hell
    I used it to look up haunted places in my college town ten years ago and I don't think it's been updated since

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    That site is old as hell
    I used it to look up haunted places in my college town ten years ago and I don't think it's been updated since

Yeah. It still pops up around the top on web searches.

Honest Jedoc's Down Home Bookateria ended up on a couple of those websites, and so every Halloween we had to field phone calls from local journalists looking for haunted library stories. The problem is that our library wasn't built until 2002, and it was a storefront location from the late 80s until it was damaged in the 1999 tornado outbreaks. Before that, it was a bookmobile.

Like, I'm not above making some spooky stories up for you, but you got to give me some bullshitting space to work with. We've got libraries in town that have been continually operating in the same building for over a century, I'm sure plenty of people have died in or around them over the years. All we've got is a couple of birds who flew into the windows.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Here are some Goat Man stories. I haven't read all of them.

http://www.missourighosts.net/goatmansgravestories.html

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    when I was a lad, pretty young, still in elementary school, I found an old book of cryptids and mythological creatures that fucked me up pretty good for a while

especially the Flatwoods Monster

xc20pyl.jpg

I spent a week certain that I would look down my hallway or out the window and see that motherfucker

edit: woah @Metzger Meister I didn't even see your post! does every elementary school library have that book?

The one I caught yesterday is much cuter.
    br05a6dqk5qs.png

I hung out with some of the Ghostbusters West Virginia Division this past labor day and was invited to stay with them sometime if I wanted to go to the Mothman Festival in Point Pleasant with them and I have to say I am Very Interested in taking them up on that.
    It helps that they're super queer-friendly and have done some amazing fundraising. I have a Mothman pin from them that glows in the dark too, so overall they are cool fucking cats.

On an unrelated note, there is a hardcover version of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark that I bought back when there was a big hullabaloo about the publisher changing the freaky illustrations for much more kid-friendly replacements. It's rad. I highly recommend.

TankHammer on