As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Anyone want a City Tour Thurs Afternoon?

divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
Hiya! I’m Sara Winters, a disability accessibility gamesperson, cosplayer, and local Philly native. There doesn’t seem to be a Magical Mystery Tour like there is for east or west, and id love to offer a walking tour in the afternoon of the city I call home. Probably start in Reading Terminal Market for a late (1PM, post businesspeople) lunch, then walk to the Liberty Bell, Old City, South St., and the harbor.

Would people be interested? I’d have to take PTO and call it out within the next two weeks.

Note: I’m not a professional tour guide but I am a Google Local Guide and have given free tours for the past two years.

• divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    To be clear: I’m offering this for free. I do not want tips. I just love meeting y’all and showing off our lovely, weird old city.

• Mark BMark B Registered User regular
    What a generous offer and great idea! I'll try to make it if I can get off work, even though I live in Philadelphia now. I still consider myself new to the city (just 10 years!).

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think continuing the tradition of the magical mystery tour is fucking rad, and I hope people are interested. I won't be in town in time, but I really want this to work.

• RathanorRathanor Registered User new member
    If the offer for a walking tour is still open I'd like to join. I'd love to see the Liberty Bell, and anything else old.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t take the afternoon off. I can do stuff after 5, but I’m probably going to the Reddit Pre Pax board game night. You can get into the Liberty Bell on your own for free, you’ll just need to line up outside it and wait. :). If you want suggestions on stuff to see though, please ask!

• RathanorRathanor Registered User new member
    A guy in my usual game group is from Philly. He's not sure if he'll be in town for that weekend though. After 5 on Thursday my biggest concern will be food, and I want the Philly cheesesteak experience. I know there are several places around. Which one should I try?

Rathanor wrote: »
    A guy in my usual game group is from Philly. He's not sure if he'll be in town for that weekend though. After 5 on Thursday my biggest concern will be food, and I want the Philly cheesesteak experience. I know there are several places around. Which one should I try?

I’m personally a Joe’s fan- they’re up in Fishtown by the Gerard subway station. As for cheesesteaks by the philly con center... there really aren’t any. There’s one steak shop in Reading Terminal, but most of them are away from the touristy areas.

• KarandrazKarandraz Registered User new member
    Hey there I understand this is a relatively old thread but it seemed along the lines of what I was looking for.

Coming to philly for PAX unplugged on my own from uk, going to be here until the friday after the con so I was wondering as a tabletop fan would there be any local gaming places I want to check out while I am in the neighbourhood, any events not run by PAX itself but around the time I could check out?

I intend to do the local tourist spots of course but wanted to get a feel for the gaming side of things in philly. And the glorious food of course. Also as a side not is it possible to get tickets for the nfl game on while I am in town or have i left that way to late?

Cheers to anyone who catches and can advise!

Karandraz wrote: »
    Hey there I understand this is a relatively old thread but it seemed along the lines of what I was looking for.

Coming to philly for PAX unplugged on my own from uk, going to be here until the friday after the con so I was wondering as a tabletop fan would there be any local gaming places I want to check out while I am in the neighbourhood, any events not run by PAX itself but around the time I could check out?

I intend to do the local tourist spots of course but wanted to get a feel for the gaming side of things in philly. And the glorious food of course. Also as a side not is it possible to get tickets for the nfl game on while I am in town or have i left that way to late?

Cheers to anyone who catches and can advise!

You should be able to catch a game while in town, but you may be in the cheap seats. If American football isn’t possible (I don’t know if they’re playing a home or away game) check out hockey or basketball. There’s a big meme regarding our hockey mascot.
    There is one notable game store in Philadelphia, and that’s Redcaps’ Corner. You can get there on the above ground trolley, though, depending on where you’re staying it may make more sense to take a Lyft or Uber. There’s also a bunch of places that people go to PLAY games- thirsty dice is specifically a board game bar (it’s north of Chinatown), but there’s other places that host events like The Black Cat in south Philly and Evil Genius and Frankford Hall in Fishtown (Berks and Girard subway stops respectively).

Feel free to buzz me if you have any other questions. I’m happy to meet you for dinner one of the nights after PAX if you want to try some off the beaten path grub or a cheesesteak at Joe’s.