As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] New Series Starts May 11th

Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
The Thirteenth Doctor arrived! naturally, there was some controversy as he was a woman this time, played by the amazing Jodie Whittaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJqsPBWbtjk&frags=pl%2Cwn

And her new season just began!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCt6f1Ttmy4&frags=pl%2Cwn

Meet her companions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h7LYfR51rs&frags=pl%2Cwn

It's a brand new era with unlimited possibilities. And unlike her prior incarnations this Doctor makes her own damn Sonic Screwdriver. In a cave with box of scraps! Ok, it's not a cave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ezx3UwMXiQ&frags=pl%2Cwn

Bogart on

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    She used a dead guy's stuff to make that screwdriver, but whatever!

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

I mean, he was literally hunting humans for sport, so I'm ok with using his stuff.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    With a new thread comes the great responsibility of making the thread titles as awesome as @Bogart has been doing.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

I mean, he was literally hunting humans for sport, so I'm ok with using his stuff.
    She can't have scavenged the parts from the alien ship, the whole point of it was to scan the ship. X-Files guy must have had some crystals lying around, I guess

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

She can't have scavenged the parts from the alien ship, the whole point of it was to scan the ship. X-Files guy must have had some crystals lying around, I guess

Ah, right I guess I got the sequence turned around.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

She pulls the crystal from Tim Shaw's pod. There are a few crystals surrounding his recall circuit.

• Options
    I was talking about the guy Tim killed, she used his shop.

• Options
    Monsieur TMonsieur T Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Jazz wrote: »
    With a new thread comes the great responsibility of making the thread titles as awesome as @Bogart has been doing.

Please no. I like that the thread title is not a direct reference to the current episode. For the last two, I saw the thread title before the episode. This was... distracting during viewing.

Monsieur T on
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    My one complaint about this particular thread title is that even though the Doctor is thousands of years old at this point (and the actor is not too far from 40) she still gets called a girl instead of a woman.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    As the hosts on Get Krack!n always say

c0CD3P7.gif

• Options
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Monsieur T wrote: »

Please no. I like that the thread title is not a direct reference to the current episode. For the last two, I saw the thread title before the episode. This was... distracting during viewing.

If the title isn't a spoiler and isn't offensive it's probably fine.

• Options
    It should definitely be Woman in the thread title, though.

• Options
    Monsieur TMonsieur T Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Forget it

Monsieur T on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »

c0CD3P7.gif

The Kates are amazing.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

That tugged on me so much harder than whenever Tennant or Smith were sad about being alone. I swear this show is Doctor Who meets Broadchurch, and I haven't decided yet if that's ultimately good or bad, but there are times like this when I'd say it works great. I'm speaking strictly of the cinematography alone, and then you add in Whittaker's performance, and that's it, there's the tears!

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Heads up for Brits; on Strictly this weekend, Stacey Dooley and Kevin Clifton are doing a Doctor Who themed tango. Stacey will be the Doctor; Kevin apparently will be a Cyberman.

(Yes, I watch that show for more than Ed Balls doing Gangnam Style.)

• Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

c0CD3P7.gif

The Kates are amazing.

Is there any more of their show. The blonde always tries to act like she is happy.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Heads up for Brits; on Strictly this weekend, Stacey Dooley and Kevin Clifton are doing a Doctor Who themed tango. Stacey will be the Doctor; Kevin apparently will be a Cyberman.

(Yes, I watch that show for more than Ed Balls doing Gangnam Style.)

This is excellent news, Kevin from Grimsby is always good value on the dressup weeks.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Syngyne wrote: »

c0CD3P7.gif

The Kates are amazing.

Is there any more of their show. The blonde always tries to act like she is happy.

They've got a youtube series about cooking, and their 'breakfast show' isn't on iview any more as far as I'm aware, so you might have to resort to other means for that one unfortunately.

Apocalyptus on
  • Options
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    A sad lack of the US version of the show in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCv5o7n_mtk

Hah, I was waiting the whole time for it, to the point where I wasn't sure it was ever going to happen.
    Bill & Ted's phone booth

• Options
    On my rewatch of Tennant's shows I've now almost reached the end, and while the acknowledged classics are all still pretty good I didn't expect to come away thinking holy shit Midnight is the best episode in his whole run. I remember it being good, but on rewatching it I think it's brilliant. Absolute belter.

• Options
    I know people all have their "Scariest" episodes of the series, but Midnight tops the list for me. He never even figured out what the hell it was.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    John Barrowman Says He Would Return to Doctor Who at the Drop of a Hat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crOYxlfwaMg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Saw the season opener and then Rosa last night.
    I really like the new Doctor, and the companions are fine. But man was the writing just ... uninspired? Mediocre at best?

Having two people with that skin color just go "wheee, it's 1950s Alabama, let's go out there! It'll be so much fun, no time to talk about how we may or may not blend in" makes all four of them look stupid, and I don't feel like the characters are meant to be stupid.

The scene behind the dumpster at the hotel was just bad exposition. Yes, we all get how having them experience this era of human history makes them appreciate how far we've come but also how far we have to go. They don't need to cram it into a very unnatural conversation.

And while I get that every iteration gets some personality changes, having the Doctor have no reaction whatsoever to a companion using a *gun* on someone is a big deal and seems like they just didn't think about it.

OK, the things I did like:

I assume the villain is some sort of anti-human alien that will be an ongoing antagonist, and I liked him as a villain. The Doctor calling someone a "rando" made me smile. The final scene where the grandpa had to sit and watch but not do anything was emotionally resonant.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    On my rewatch of Tennant's shows I've now almost reached the end, and while the acknowledged classics are all still pretty good I didn't expect to come away thinking holy shit Midnight is the best episode in his whole run. I remember it being good, but on rewatching it I think it's brilliant. Absolute belter.
    Midnight is absolutely top tier and I don't think it gets enough love.
    A sad lack of the US version of the show in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCv5o7n_mtk
    Tony Shalhoub taking over the role in 1987 threw me for a loop - for one thing the footage from Galaxy Quest they use is from the 90s, not the 80s, but also looking over Shalhoub's imdb page confirms that he was very early in his career in 1987 and was doing stuff like playing an unnamed "terrorist leader" in a single episode of a TV show I've never heard of. So it's hard to imagine him being the main star of a TV show at that point and what do you mean the video is just a lighthearted joke and I shouldn't be nitpicking it to death

• Options

It was so goddamn good.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    It’s also worth noting that they had Stacey leading the dance, not Kevin. The first time ever the female partner was the lead partner on Strictly.

I thought that was a very nice touch.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    New episode:
    If you're going to give the show a legally-distinct-from-Donald-Trump character and not have him get devoured by giant spiders or at least arrested, what the hell are you doing?
    The Doctor's destroyed people's careers for being less of a dick.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    New episode:
    If you're going to give the show a legally-distinct-from-Donald-Trump character and not have him get devoured by giant spiders or at least arrested, what the hell are you doing?
    The Doctor's destroyed people's careers for being less of a dick.
    "Don't you think he looks orange?"

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Proper creepy spiders though, real old school Pertwee vibes.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I am not fond of spiders. Yeurgh.

More spiffing work from Walsh, though. You can see his character think and decide and change his mind.

Chibnall doesn’t seem to be able to do the technobabble bullshit scenes as well as Davies or Moffat. They feel quite flat in comparison. And Yaz, even though the episode was about her family, still feels indistinct.

Noth was really good, though.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    That definitely felt like setting up future things.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who thought the solution to the latest episode was rather cruel?
    So I understand that it’s a kids show and the Doctor’s been pretty consistently anti gun since at least Eccleston, but surely it would have been more merciful to kill the spiders off quickly. You have multiple large predators, who have already killed several people, and your solutions is to lock them all up inside a small vault with 6 months worth of food so that they can have a “natural” death? The mother spider had literally grown so large that it could no longer breathe, but the Doctor berates notTrump for at least giving it a quick death.

Felt like the morality of the episode was approaching Kill the Moon levels of advocating never ever taking a life in an circumstance. For a kid’s show you probably should aim for that message, but then maybe don’t write episodes where you advocate leaving a creature alive only to die slowly rather than at least ending things quickly. Please don’t take this as being pro-gun, I’m from the UK and about as pro gun control (oh god don’t turn this into a thread about that) as you like, but within the context provided by the episode it felt like shooting the genetically modified giant spiders would have been the less cruel option, even if it wasn’t “natural”.

• Options
    Some shots and camera angles gave me a distinctly Aliens vibe that I can only think was intentional.
    Like after Graham baited the spider for Ryan to catch, when they saw what was coming down the corridor towards them...

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    So one particularly tense bit of that episode was not helped at all by a plastic bag in the corner of my living room crackling quietly at the exact moment something on screen did. Nearly jumped out of my skin.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Fun episode. I pick up spiders with my bare hands. Ya'll a bunch of scaredy-cats. :P

Also:
    What was up with introducing a lesbian character and then killing her so soon after, writer(s)? #KillYourGays #CocoonYourGays.