As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac Thread: Yes you can turn off the 3d glass effect! W/Y/H

• Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Quick question. How do I get my HD to display how much space it has free under its Icon on the desktop?

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    its just in the view settings, I think its called "show more info" (not at home, just on my iPhone)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    got a Macbook Pro for Christmas and I've been waiting for this thread to be available again

I've gone through the list in the OP and downloaded a couple of programs but is there anything else worth having since the op's pretty old

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    VyerVyer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, Macbook:

I have the cables/adapters necessary to get video on my DLP HDTV. I have an DVI->HDMI connection.

The question is audio. How do I get the audio to my TV? I know I have the headphone jack on my system, is there a cable to connect from that to the TV? And since I'm using an HDMI port, how would the TV know what audio input to use? Do I need to go with a DVI connection instead of HDMI?

Vyer on
    Vyer.jpg
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    This is pretty awesome. There's a really easy to use application module for Cocoa apps called Sparkle that makes your application self-updating. You just supply an RSS 2.0 feed with the update as an enclosure (called AppCasting, but I hate buzzwords), add the Sparkle module to your code, point it at the RSS feed, and it's done. Now all of your users get instant software updates, delivered and installed through your application, without having to go through the install themselves or check for new versions. Adium and SubEThaEdit use it, so that's the kind of thing you're looking at if you add Sparkle.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Vyer wrote: »
    So, Macbook:

I have the cables/adapters necessary to get video on my DLP HDTV. I have an DVI->HDMI connection.

The question is audio. How do I get the audio to my TV? I know I have the headphone jack on my system, is there a cable to connect from that to the TV? And since I'm using an HDMI port, how would the TV know what audio input to use? Do I need to go with a DVI connection instead of HDMI?
    Does your TV or receiver have TOSLINK (optical) audio in? Because you see, the headphone jack is also a mini-Toslink adapter jack. So just get a toslink cable and mini toslink adapter thing and plug it in and go. You might need to enable it in the settings, but I don't think so. Check monoprice.com for cables as always. Cheap as fuck.

I forgot my mini-DVI adapter at school so I can't hook up my Macbook to my DLP at home right now :(

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My new Macbook is only a day away from me. So's the RAM I bought for it (found a steal on some Kingstons--4 gigs actually cost me less than 2 gigs would have).

However, my AppleCare package is coming in today. Ah, I may go down to the post office to get it just to pet it longingly tonight.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is there a way to set up Safari so the tab bar always shows even when you only have one tab open?
    Edit: Also can I get that little bar at the bottom that shows the address of the link you are about to click back? I know I had it but Safari decided that it wanted to go all wonky on me.
    Edit2: Nevermind, got it myself. Stupid placement of those options, Apple.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What's the Mac equivalent of Ctrl+F on a PC?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Command (apple key) + F

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Can also use Spotlight (Apple + Space) if you want a more comprehensive search including like email and document contents and the address book and bookmarks and stuff. I've been using it a lot more in Leopard since it's pretty fast now.

Anyway, I just got Leopard for Christmas. Mainly for the dev tools, but I'm liking using it a little more. However, the goddamn glass dock. I've hacked it to make it at least aesthetically pleasing, but it slows my entire GUI down to like 15 fps. What the flying fuck Apple. My computer is a Macbook Pro with 128 MB X1600 that I purchased last year. And Leopard, in its default form, runs ass-tackularly fucking slow on it when it comes to the window manager stuff, like Exposé and Dashboard and so forth. If I do the terminal hack to switch to the non-glass dock, it's a lot better, but still doesn't seem totally perfect (e.g. the minimize animation is no longer smooth on large windows). Spaces' tile view is still the slowest shit, even with just like Safari and iTunes open.

I don't understand why, in all the ranting about things that are half-assed in Leopard (stacks, docked folder icons), nobody's mentioned this. Goddamn, I expect to see a choppy exposé on my G3 iMac without a Radeon, not my fucking MacBook Pro.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, to annoy you, Leopard runs fine on my 1Ghz G4 PowerBook. No slow downs here...

Runs as nice, if not nicer, than 10.3. :)

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm not talking slow-downs, just a bad framerate. I noticed the same thing on another MBP of similar specs that had been upgraded recently.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    1.67 GHZ G4 PowerBook checking in, awesome framerate here.

Did you do an archive and install, or did you do a clean one? I've heard some people are having problems after doing archive and install, try a clean one.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Automated upgrade, I'm very low on storage, and don't have what I'd need to do a full backup and complete format and reinstall without having to re-rip half my music library. Again, I'm talking pour 3D GUI framerate, and mostly only with glass dock enabled, no other slowdowns to speak of. In fact, the upgrade went almost too smoothly.

Also, as I said, I noticed the exact same issue on a very similarly-specced MBP.

Edit: Found this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=388317

These guys are right. Massive FPS increase with v-sync disabled. (Spaces is still slow, at about 20 fps on the tile view though.) Runs smooth with glass dock now. Tearing is very hard to notice too (not like in an FPS or something, and certainly not remotely as horrendous as XP).

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Almost every day I think, 'maybe I should buy Leopard and do an upgrade', but each time I go, 'fuck it, Tiger runs just fine and I won't have the patience to deal with the stupid crap that will possibly happen'. It's getting hard to resist though.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I did a plain ol' automatic upgrade, and really had no issues, despite everything that might have gone wrong with my MySQL installation and other stuff I was using it for. Xcode 3 is awesome, and the improvements to Finder number greater than the stupid things.

I did have to edit my httpd.conf though.

Oh, and about dock skinning. I've seen a lot of apple scripts that only replace the s-curve png's, and do a half-assed job at that. I've been trying to make my own script to do it for sure, but I suck at bash scripting so I've been using automator to get input in a nice GUI way. Howevever, I can't find anyway to get my workflow to run with admin privileges. In order to switch dock graphics out using my method, I need to run the following script (after using automator actions to get the new graphics into the temp folder):
    cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/
    sudo cp ~/docks/temp/*.png .
    rm ~/docks/temp/*.png
    killall Dock

But, if I don't have a terminal window open in which I've recently run a sudo command, the command is run without super user privileges, which means it doesn't work. And I'm sick up typing all the above in the terminal every time I want to try a new dock skin.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    is there a iPod ripping program that saves your playlists when you rip them to your computer? I'd like to not have to manually re-enter my custom playlists again

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Zoolander wrote: »
    Almost every day I think, 'maybe I should buy Leopard and do an upgrade', but each time I go, 'fuck it, Tiger runs just fine and I won't have the patience to deal with the stupid crap that will possibly happen'. It's getting hard to resist though.

I'm with you on this.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

I'm with you on this.

Anecdotal evidence time!

After doing a bit of reading regarding what could go wrong with an upgrade to Leopard on my Mini, the only thing I could find was the error caused by having ShapeShifter installed. I reverted back to the standard Aqua skin, disabled ShapeShifter and did the upgrade without incident.

Personally, small tools in Leopard have significantly changed how I work on both my machines day to day... but I can't guarantee that everybody would experience such change.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I love Leopard! Upgrade, it's how OSX should have been from day one.

A Finder that works! Amazing...!

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Finder is better, but by no means is it awesome.

man, I still hate the OS X mouse acceleration values. I just wish it worked like my windows mouse. Its movement and precision is so much more superior

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ronen wrote: »
    apotheos wrote: »

I'm with you on this.

Anecdotal evidence time!

After doing a bit of reading regarding what could go wrong with an upgrade to Leopard on my Mini, the only thing I could find was the error caused by having ShapeShifter installed. I reverted back to the standard Aqua skin, disabled ShapeShifter and did the upgrade without incident.

Personally, small tools in Leopard have significantly changed how I work on both my machines day to day... but I can't guarantee that everybody would experience such change.
    If I had a second mac, I would totally go ahead and upgrade to Leopard on the first one and I would probably be convinced to upgrade on the other one too. But as it is, I only have my one Macbook and I do my daily work on it, so I just can't get myself to do it.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    mastman wrote: »

man, I still hate the OS X mouse acceleration values. I just wish it worked like my windows mouse. Its movement and precision is so much more superior

You can download the MS intellipoint software for OS X btw...

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    do you know if that will control all mouse movement? Like, even for my bluetooth mouse?

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anyone have any recommendations for a windows emulator usable on an intel-based mac? I just want to play some PC games, really.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    mastman wrote: »

uhhhh

Have you tried using Finder to connect to a networked PC with file sharing enabled now vs. a prior OS X?

Because before you had to do the Connect to a Server and then SMB://host/share and you had to play with usernames and passwords and fuck it was just way more trouble than it was worth 9 times out of 10 and I just used my iPod to ferry files back and forth. Mind you, this is between XP and 10.3 so YMMV and in an industry environment with Windows Server 2003 managing the file shares it might be a lot easier to get the Mac to connect properly but even so there's still the cmd+K or Go To menu to contend with and honestly

All I had to do was open Finder and it had already found and mapped the shared folders
    and then
    all I had to do was click on them

and now when I want to re-connect to them with my iBook after I've been disconnected from my home network and I'm reconnecting guess what

I just click on it again because it locates that shit automatically for me.

That's what it's supposed to be like. That is fucking glorious.

I still wish I could force Finder to show resource fork files and other hidden things but I'm willing to let that one slide.
    Also I've never had any trouble getting my Logitech MX510 to work just the same under OS X as it does under WinXP.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dizaster, I think you quoted the wrong guy there.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    s7apsters7apster Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I had some problems installing leopard. Make sure you repair your disk permissions before starting the install prcess, it could save you a big sized pain in the ass.

After I did that it was fine.

s7apster on
  • Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have a MacBook Pro and I have seen exactly zero bits of stuttering GUI effects. I did do a clean install however, not just clean but zeroed out the drive clean. I had disk corruption I discovered when I was running Tiger so I waited until Leopard was available and then backed everything up, wiped the drive, and have had no problems since. I think the disk corruption was casued from my MBP dying a few times with a defective battery that I didn't know was defective.

For me Leopard added so many little tools that I have a hard time going back to Tiger (when I need to for work). I use QuickLook every single day. It's one of the best userland features in the OS in my opinion. Spotlight is also far faster than Tiger and automatically displays applications first in the list (before performing a full search) so it makes for a good app launcher now.

For all the flack they get I actually like the way Stacks work in the Dock. I have my Downloads folder set to display as a fan showing the latest file first so it's easy to find whatever it is I last downloaded. Again QuickLook is awesome because I get an iconic preview of the file's contents for pretty much any file type. This was a feature I really missed from Classic MacOS. It's not that OSX's Finder didn't support icon previews up until now, it only supported previews of a few media types. Way back when most apps would write a content preview icon when they saved the file. This icon was stored in the file's resource fork and didn't really take up much space. In the early days of OSX development utilizing resource forks was forbidden since NeXT guys wanted to make everything UFS friendly. I don't even think Cocoa has facilities for writing custom icons to resource forks without wrapping the Carbon "icon family" data type.

From the developer perspective Leopard is a really awesome upgrade. Tiger added a bunch of really useful frameworks over Panther and Leopard has done the same over Tiger. Being able to use the IMService/IMAVManager is something I think a lot of developers are going to jump on in the next few months. An iChat Theater compatible version of OmniPlan or Omnigraffle would be pretty damn sweet. The same for calendar services available now. Like the Address Book framework this framework is kind of deceptively powerful since it can use the CalStore class to talk to CalDAV servers, OmniPlan or some GTD app could add Todos or events to your shared calendar and then everyone would see that you're booked on a project on Wednesday, without even entering that data into iCal. Core Animation and Image Kit are also going to be very big. Everybody wanting to do any sort of basic animation is going to find their job becomes fifty times simpler using CA to do the heavy lifting. These are all besides the excellent changes made to Xcode and Interface Builder which combined with XRay (and a little D knowlege) makes for much more intuitive debugging and profiling. Yay developer tools.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    well yeah, so far as finder is concerned with network drives, it is the bomb (and by that I mean the way it should have worked in the first place). It doesn't make your computer explode if the computer you're connected to turns off before you disconnect.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Fallout wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations for a windows emulator usable on an intel-based mac? I just want to play some PC games, really.

Parallels or VMWare Fusion. Some games work well in one, others will work better in the other, neither will give you great performance. Your best bet is installing Windows via Boot Camp and just rebooting into that if you want to play a game.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I like Fusion a lot more, but I think Parallels' game support is supposed to be a bit better. Either way you still need a copy of Windows, and you're ultimately better off using Boot Camp, as both virtualization tools have major compatibility problems unless you stick to 2D games (I did get YDKJ running on VMWare, which is pure win.)

If you really want to get crazy, there's always Crossover for Mac, which lets you run Windows apps without Windows. That's... a bit scary, though.

BTW - Monoxide, I just watched the second season of The Wire for the first time and find your avatar to be pure win.

rufo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    rufo wrote: »
    BTW - Monoxide, I just watched the second season of The Wire for the first time and find your avatar to be pure win.

I started watching the show in the beginning of December, and I now have 4 episodes left in Season 4. The 5th and final season starts on Saturday, I can't wait. It's such a brilliant show.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've been using Parallels lately and I love it mostly for its coherence mode. Its great being able to use all my windows administration tools without a windows desktop taking up all the screen real estate.

I've been messing around with Automator and I'm having issues... Are any of you any good with it? I have these two text files which are templates. I want to create a workflow that will let me select any file and insert its filename into part of the template. I have some idea of what I need to do, but I can't find anything related to find & replace. Is what I am doing possible with the default actions? I saw some TextEdit actions online but they were shareware.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Fallout wrote: »

Parallels or VMWare Fusion. Some games work well in one, others will work better in the other, neither will give you great performance. Your best bet is installing Windows via Boot Camp and just rebooting into that if you want to play a game.

ah, I didn't know I could do that. That is awesome.
    rufo wrote: »
    I like Fusion a lot more, but I think Parallels' game support is supposed to be a bit better. Either way you still need a copy of Windows, and you're ultimately better off using Boot Camp, as both virtualization tools have major compatibility problems unless you stick to 2D games (I did get YDKJ running on VMWare, which is pure win.)

If you really want to get crazy, there's always Crossover for Mac, which lets you run Windows apps without Windows. That's... a bit scary, though.

I've been trying CrossOver but just running things in windows sounds like it'll be a lot easier. Thanks guys!

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So, I'm probably gonna get a Macbook with my tax refund, but someone reminded me Macworld is pretty soon.

Any good rumors what new stuff is gonna happen? Any idea if they'll be changing the Macbooks at all?

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    might as well wait. It's just 2 weeks away

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So, I'm probably gonna get a Macbook with my tax refund, but someone reminded me Macworld is pretty soon.

Any good rumors what new stuff is gonna happen? Any idea if they'll be changing the Macbooks at all?

Rumor mill says:
    Macbook - No
    Macbook Pro - Yes, probably a speed bump
    New sub-notebooks coming, with an awesome docking station that looks like an iMac, and you slot your laptop in the side of it. The docking station you believe only if you are the type of person to get really excited*.

*I am this person.

EDIT: Because I love this picture so much. Spoiler'd for h-scroll.
    imac-dock2.jpg
    This is so bought if it's anything like reality.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So I'm thinkin' these are shops, but damn, if they're real...:

applemacbookmini2007090ry9.jpg

applemacbookmini2007090iy4.jpg

maifjaabkcn3.jpg

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
This discussion has been closed.