As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    HLC is going to be hard to hit with on that I think.
    I imagine the dial won't change much, so getting many bullseye shots will be rare. I wonder if they will be adding new cannons soon.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was one in that conversion kit

right now it might be the least valuable upgrade slot

I do kinda appreciate that right now there aren't any "must-have" slots or upgrades really.

Most are pretty situational, but in those situations the upgrades are generally very good.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    You can search ORG053 on Amazon as well. I ordered from there because I had credit, and basically the same price with shipping factored in

Thanks for the suggestion, @crimsoncoyote ! I put mine together tonight, and it fits into the X-Wing box like a glove.

For the record, it comfortably holds all the upgrade cards for a core set and 1 each of the 1.0->2.0 boxes released so far.

Eventually, I think I'll make a Sir Willibald upgrade box to hold my "excessive multiples" (e.g., no, you do not need to bring 8 copies of Crack Shot with you), but that'll wait on him to release his 2.0 designs.

Elvenshae wrote: »
    You can search ORG053 on Amazon as well. I ordered from there because I had credit, and basically the same price with shipping factored in

Thanks for the suggestion, @crimsoncoyote ! I put mine together tonight, and it fits into the X-Wing box like a glove.

For the record, it comfortably holds all the upgrade cards for a core set and 1 each of the 1.0->2.0 boxes released so far.

Eventually, I think I'll make a Sir Willibald upgrade box to hold my "excessive multiples" (e.g., no, you do not need to bring 8 copies of Crack Shot with you), but that'll wait on him to release his 2.0 designs.

So all my cards+sleeves currently fit in the two inserts, with a few spares (duplicate unique pilots and upgrades) in a plastic deck box. I have a little room to spare for some more upgrades, but not much. I currently have: the core set, all 3 conversion kits, Lando's Falcon, Fang Fighter, a Y-wing, Saws renegades, and a tie reaper all sleeved in there.

(I keep meaning to post a picture, but I need to get it under the 2MB mark.)

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

So all my cards+sleeves currently fit in the two inserts, with a few spares (duplicate unique pilots and upgrades) in a plastic deck box. I have a little room to spare for some more upgrades, but not much. I currently have: the core set, all 3 conversion kits, Lando's Falcon, Fang Fighter, a Y-wing, Saws renegades, and a tie reaper all sleeved in there.

(I keep meaning to post a picture, but I need to get it under the 2MB mark.)

Convert to JPEG? I've never had trouble after that step.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited October 2018
    Yeah, I'll do that or something. It's on my phone so it's just *big* right now

crimsoncoyote on
    Yeah, I'll do that or something. It's on my phone so it's just *big* right now
    Least smooth workflow ever, but on an iPhone you can email yourself the picture, and choose to send it as “Medium” size, then resave it from your email, then post that version.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I just use imgur. If you change the link to include a lowercase "L" before the .jpg, it will show a lower resolution copy.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Our scanner saves to jpg, so I just print out the picture and scan it.
    I do not do this.
    My phone sends pictures to dropbox automatically, I open them in Preview on my computer, change resolution, and then upload them.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah.. I upload to Imgur, then use the "huge thumbnail" setting because it spits out BBCode automatically that links to a high rez version of the pic.

This is now the most meta picture in my Imgur catalog.

EcYPncih.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Im so buying that when it comes out.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Got to play some 2.0 tonight via TTS - couple screenshots start here:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/40259956/#Comment_40259956

Man, do I love this game.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular

Great game! Here's my complete list:
    Luke Skywalker (T-65 X-Wing)
    - R2 Astromech
    - Heightened Perception
    - S-Foils

Wedge Antilles (T-65 X-Wing)
    - Composure
    - R2 Astromech
    - Hull Upgrade
    - S-Foils

Norra Wexley (BTL-A4 Y-Wing)
    - Expert Handling
    - Ion Cannon Turret
    - R4 Astromech
    - Hull Upgrade
    - Veteran Turret Gunner

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    My friend and I are just about ready to finish up our game of "Heroes of the Arturi Cluster" that we've probably put 12-15 games into so far. I've lost count honestly. We'll probably beat it this year. It's been a lot of fun!

Also How do you guys like TTS versus Vasal?

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Finally got to play 2.0 rules. T-65 are amazing now.
    Did a simple core game only escalation, but Luke's force powers, tallon, and barrel rolls allowed for some incredible action and maneuvering. Felt like I was flying an interceptor.

Also found out my T-65 peg piece is cracked. Need to ask for a replacement. Kept falling over.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited October 2018
    @webguy20

Well, TTS's 2.0 implementation is way ahead of Vassal's, for one - it actually works, it's got the ship models, etc., unlike Vassal which is I guess still a work in progress. (ED: See below!)

Vassal has a lot of useful things built-in, like automatic 180-degree turns, etc. And it allows you to give any movement order to any ship at any time. It has a button that clears actions at the end of each round automatically.

TTS is much more tightly scripted, so you can only give a ship a movement order by placing the appropriate dial. This is the way you normally end up playing, so it's not a huge issue, but you'll run into annoyances. With Countess Ryad, for instance, I was routinely placing a straight-ahead maneuver and then replacing it with a K-Turn because of her ability. The only K-Turn she has naturally is a 2, so when I was running 3-speed+ K-Turns, I'd need to do the action then manually flip her around, which is more fiddly than it needs to be - unlock the piece of the right click menu, rotate it in-place either off the right click menu or by picking it up and mouse-wheeling, then lock it again off the right-click menu.

TTS has a way for you to adjust your Tallon Rolls to be either front, neutral, or back, but I can't for the life of me figure out how it's supposed to work.

ED: Quick addendum to my first point - I just noticed that Vassal recently updated with functional 2.0 stuff! I messed around with it a bit, and it's got a lot more really cool options now. One trick is that it can't spawn a list directly from the FFG squadbuilder, unlike TTS. Also, you no longer use the "Pieces" menu to spawn 2.0 ships; this is not made explicit in the app, only in the documentation (and who reads that???).

Elvenshae on
    edited October 2018
    As promised, here's what the inserts look like with the cards:
    KPHh17z_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

And an amazing, wonderful gift from @Rend
    hkdoT7T_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

crimsoncoyote on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    During the last FFG tournament I was watching one of the side streams and they had a discount code for Curled Paw Creatives which makes 2.0 acrylic tokens and way better looking id markers/target locks. I ordered some and just got them today. They are very pretty.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Does that coupon code still work? If so what is it? Could have used it a bit ago, got their templates, but their tokens and ID markers ARE really nice.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Does that coupon code still work? If so what is it? Could have used it a bit ago, got their templates, but their tokens and ID markers ARE really nice.

Oh I have no idea. I was several weeks ago.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Resistance is looking pretty fun between the last article and this one.

edited October 2018
    HLC looks like it will be pretty good on the T-70? 4 dice at all ranges if inside the bullseye arc. There's synergy with the reposition options offered by the s-foils config.

Black One title seems very fun too. Perform the SLAM to get out of dodge and keep the disarm token? SLAM into a great position and shoot for a killing blow by taking the ion? Depending on how well you position, the ion wouldn't be that big of a deal, even though you can only Focus after ion.

I think there's a few more unspoiled unique pilots. I really liked Ello Asty, so I hope that ability comes back (I would assume it'd be limited by charges now). Jess is back too.

crimsoncoyote on
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    there are three named t-70 pilots from first edition we haven't seen return yet (Red and Blue Ace just got actual names), so I think it's pretty likely the unspoiled three T-70 pilots line up roughly with those

I am signed up to go to the Battle of Yavin event this Sunday at my FLGS! I need list ideas. My TIE swarm seems to be fully legal.
    Iden Versio (40)

“Howlrunner” (40)

Valen Rudor (28)

Seyn Marana (30)
    Marksmanship (1)

Gideon Hask (30)

Del Meeko (30)

Total: 199

I do question my ability to fly it well in a way that won't embarrass me over a longer period of time. I'm thinking Rebels might be easier to manage. My favorite Y-Wing pilot, Norra, isn't valid for the event, and Thane would be my preferred third X-Wing, so that's out too. I'm thinking Luke/Wedge/Garven or a torpedo time build with Dutch and two X-Wings? I can't fit Luke and Wedge with Supernatural and Outmaneuver respectively, and give everyone torpedoes. Maybe Luke, Biggs, and Dutch? Giving Biggs torps and R5-D8, Dutch with Expert Handling and torps?

Need opinions and builds!

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    My list now has three wins under its belt!

Last night's opponent was two TIE Strikers (Duchess and Pure Sabaac) and two Alpha Gunboats (Nu Sqd. generics). I almost thought I was done for when Norra's Y-Wing went down and Wedge got four blanks on defense. Somehow I managed to turn it around, catching the Strikers between my X-Wings one-by-one in the space of three turns. We traded my Wedge for one of his gunboats, leaving us with my Luke against his last boat to chase each other around the mat.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    They changed the event to be extended instead of battle of yavin due to lobbying by the players which has kind of severely tamped down my interest. I only own the new 2.0 ships and as a new player it was nice to know all my shit wouldn't be totally outclassed and I wouldn't spend all my time going "okay and what does all that shit do?"

I mean I knew most people would probably have more experience than me, I just thought it would be a more casual fun times. It's just weird because it was already a full event so it's not like they had any issues getting player interest. It just seems messed up to take something that was probably intended by FFG to be something light and non intimidating for players who might have bought into the game recently and then change the format. The people who have all the ships will have their own events to do down the line.

That's kind of lame. I would ask when they expect to have a 2.0/BY event next. They need to have something available for new(er) players, otherwise those players aren't going to stick around.

Like I still want to go because I want that proton torpedoes promo (and I need more of the card) but the total available pool of ships went from four to who even knows how many.

I just feel like I'll basically get destroyed instantly because I won't even know what to look out for or be aware of.

I am so out of the loop right now as far as meta goes. I think Boba Fett is pretty popular?

I am actually contemplating going out this weekend in search of a tournament or otherwise a casual meet up for x-wing to get back in the swing of things.

I understand where you're coming from, @ChaosHat, but I just wanna tell ya ...

The new T-65 is a sweet fighter. I think you could do relatively well with running an X-Wing-focused list and some decent planning.

@ChaosHat Bring up your disappointment that it's not Battle of Yavin to the store. They're probably hearing from the vocal players and not from newer ones.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited November 2018
    I understand where you're coming from, @ChaosHat, but I just wanna tell ya ...

The new T-65 is a sweet fighter. I think you could do relatively well with running an X-Wing-focused list and some decent planning.

So, I don't think that my problem is necessarily the quality of ships, but the quantity/variety. I agree I could probably run 3X, and in the hands of a capable human win some games. The big issue is that I've never had to play against jamming, cloaking, tractor beams, whatever so I'll potentially have to learn all that on the fly and come up with some sort of strategy.

Further, I don't know what any of the other ships are capable of dial or statswise. I'm not going to say I have 2.0 wave 1 memorized but I kind of know that TIE Fighters can do hard turns at 1 but X-Wings can't, etc. I also don't know what all their abilities do and how they can combine to beat me, and the ways to play around it. Even just the now staggering number of upgrade cards that I'll have to deal with, and also have no access to, so even if we ran the exact same ships, I don't have the same options.

I know I'd have to become familiar with this stuff EVENTUALLY, but I'm not even that good at just playing the game right now. I feel like I just got my learner's permit and I was told we're going to a nice vacant parking lot to practice but oh wait the other people in the car think that's boring so let's just get on the highway and practice some parallel parking.

I feel like they should want a safe space for beginners to enter to grow the game. And the store does new player/casual events for like, Magic the Gathering. If a bunch of people at the store said "Nah I'd rather play modern instead of that" I bet they'd say "no this is to onboard new people, bring something casual."

ChaosHat on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    You absolutely have fair points.

I would feel dirty playing my Whisper Echo Deathrain list against someone who started with 2.0, because it's 100% shenanigans. Phantoms are super squirrely.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »
    You absolutely have fair points.

I would feel dirty playing my Whisper Echo Deathrain list against someone who started with 2.0, because it's 100% shenanigans. Phantoms are super squirrely.

It at least makes me feel better to have others acknowledge it isn't baseless whining.

I fully recognize that even with a level ship playing field I will almost absolutely lose all of my games to people who are probably much more experienced just based entirely on their ability to fly shit way better. Hell, I could give these people a 150 point list of unupgraded TIEs and they'd beat me. My fear is that I will get two turns into it, not know what I'm supposed to do to counter their list and just wander into whatever their plan is and get blown out of the sky nearly instantly, or at least so incredibly crippled that the rest of the game is a foregone conclusion that's frustrating for me and boring for them.

Again, they will probably kill me either way. But at least by constraining the possibility space I can learn shit and take that into the next game. I won't have to deal with some crazy Scum list, followed by a bunch of TIE Phantoms and then like a bunch of E Wings or something. I've also played against all of the ships and most of the pilots in the Rebel and Imperial side available in 2.0 so I at least have some working concept of them going into the match.

Definitely mention something to the store. It's in their best interest that they help you because old players aren't going to be buying nearly as many "rereleases" as fresh blood.

If you do end up going against something you don't recognize, maybe try to explain that you're new and ask the sorts of things that your opponent's list can do. Most players are very open to explaining things, especially to new players.

Remember that you are allowed to ask to look at another player's dial before it's placed down.

I sent an email. They haven't responded yet so we'll see. I just basically spoke about how I don't expect them to do anything for this event since they've already changed it once but if there were opportunities for new player focused. things in the future that would be great.

Well, I haven't heard back from them but I've decided I want to go anyways. If it's terrible I can just get my promo cards and bail and I do really want that proton torpedoes card. I'm either going to go XXY (Luke/Wedge/Norra) or 3X (Luke/Wedge/Thane). I need to clarify something though: Norra's ability, does it just mean she turns her die to an evade, so if her ability triggers she'll always have one evade, or does it mean that she gets an evade automatically AND rolls her one die for up to two?

She *adds* a result, not changes one. So yes, it's in addition to her defense dice.