As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kratos Crashed The Party: God of War

2»

• Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm currently playing through GoW2, and I'm loving it. I picked up GoW last year for 20 bucks expecting to not like it, because I don't like too many games like that, but I fell in love. I'm just really loving the story being told, and the way it's told. Kratos really feels ripped straight from Greek mythology. I also can't wait for Chains of Olympus. The thing looks and plays great on my PSP.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If there's one thing about the God of War games, it's that they have two of the meanest final bosses I've had the pleasure of beating the shit out of.
    Yeah, that's right. FUCK YOU, ARES AND ZUES!

I'm really curious who the final bosses of Chains of Olympus and GoW III are going to be, though.

Lynx on
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    GoW2 was nice, but the ending can really fuck the whole game up. I am not going to spoiler this, you need to know to lessen the impact:

Then I'm spoiling it because you don't get to make the decision as to what people "need to know." <3 Acc
    So you kick Zeus's ass, and what happens? You go with the Titans to attack the Olympus... TO BE CONTINUED. FUCK!
    This isn't a spoiler really, it's like the "go kill Ares" thing.

The game is awesome for what is there, but the ending sucks monkey ass. I've heard that the whole "finish the fight" thing was similar to this, though I haven't played the game.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I played God of War 1 and then God of War 2 immediately thereafter. It was so fun transitioning from title to title.

I agree with the person on the first page in regards to
    Those fucking columns in Hades. It took me SO LONG to get up them. After I beat the first one, I was so happy. Then a second one came around. FUCK YOU!

Such a fun, fun game though. Everything I'd ever wanted in an action game.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The columns were easy. They were a bitch, but they were easy.

Elaboration: Patterns. It isn't hard to just look at the patterns in which spikes appear. It isn't like you had to rush the damn thing, there were gaps there.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    In GoW 1, I CAN'T beat the second phase of the Ares fight on god mode. Any tips?

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    In GoW 1, I CAN'T beat the second phase of the Ares fight on god mode. Any tips?

I have no advice. It took me hours and hours of repeating just to beat it on the default mode. That fight is the main reason I didn't even attempt a higher difficulty.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    There is a very easy trick to this fight. You can't really block his wings attack up-close, but if you stand far enough so that only the last part hits you, you can block it. From what I remember, he does this attack twice. Then, run up to him and mash that square until you force him into a mini-game. Win it, hit him a few times, rinse and repeat.

Basically, try to force him into the mini-game. Once you manage to nail this technique down, he will become a joke, even on God mode.

This makes me wish I had a capture card.

EDIT: Let's take a look at this video. At about 0:28 Ares does his wing (or whatever that is) attack. Note the reach of the attack. If you stand and block so that he can barely reach you, you will not only successfully block it, you will also have to block a follow-up attack. After that, run up to him and just attack him. Then, mini-game. This isn't the fastest way to beat Ares, but it is absolutely reliable.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I meant the second phase as in defending your family. I can't seem to finish it. Ares himself is easy by comparison. Especially once you recognise what attack he's going to do, so you can counter it accordingly.

But the fighting a million clones, and the archers, and the hugging.... bah! Please tell me there's some super cheesy easy-mode tactic to use that I just haven't figured out yet.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    If you are playing on anything below God, then just fight the clones for as long as you can. Activate Rage of the Gods when things get rough and cheese Army of Hades with Poseidon's Rage as much as you can - magic is unlimited during Rage mode. Army of Hades should last you for two Poseidon's attacks, then another Army, and one more Poseidon. Also, hugging your family restores your Rage meter.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The actual gameplay for both was awesome, but II's story and stuff irked me. Kratos was super-schizophrenic, and I got annoyed at all the name-dropping.
    Oh shit there's Theseus! And now Icarus, maybe Euryale as well; also have some Jason and the Argonauts being off-handedly murdered. Plus, I dunno, Perseus maybe? They just felt like they were there to get murdered; a cheap way to make Kratos look badass.
    Totally unrelated and minor complaint:
    So I fly across an ocean on a pegasus, pull the temple to the island, fight my way through all these different bosses, solve puzzles that can only be solved with items and weapons that are unique and in my possession only, kill the only two translators who exist... and the Spartan still manages to beat me there? O_o

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, it was bullshit, but so were the myths really. I just assume epic stuff happens. I've read a review that said God of War II fails because it is the embodiment of all that is wrong with the industry, and I have to agree with this statement - lots of great setpieces, the fighting is awesome, but I have to admit that, at the end of the day, I have been Quick Time Eventing through the game all the bloody time. Connect the dots, basically. I am not even sure where I am going with this.

Not a flamebait though, I bought the game at launch and enjoyed it immensely. Currently doing another playthrough.

Bottom line, it is a great game, but do not try to think too much about it - just enjoy the show. And the vistas, those are absolutely stunning.

Oh, and I have seen the ending again. It is nice, but such a cock-tease blue-baller whatever-you-have-there that I cannot be anything else but pissed off that they stopped right there. I want my resolution dammit!

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I meant the second phase as in defending your family. I can't seem to finish it. Ares himself is easy by comparison. Especially once you recognise what attack he's going to do, so you can counter it accordingly.

But the fighting a million clones, and the archers, and the hugging.... bah! Please tell me there's some super cheesy easy-mode tactic to use that I just haven't figured out yet.

There is indeed: Rage of The Gods allows you to give health to your family without giving away any of your own. It's a free heal, essentially, and I think that's the trick to beating it. Also, Army of Hades. Spam it in RoTG.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Sweet, so essentially, every RotG is like starting over. Except not.... because like, a lot of guys are still dead and stuff.

I never once tried healing them while raging like a god.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The actual gameplay for both was awesome, but II's story and stuff irked me. Kratos was super-schizophrenic, and I got annoyed at all the name-dropping.
    Oh shit there's Theseus! And now Icarus, maybe Euryale as well; also have some Jason and the Argonauts being off-handedly murdered. Plus, I dunno, Perseus maybe? They just felt like they were there to get murdered; a cheap way to make Kratos look badass.
    My favorite Part about Perseus is GoW2 is that the voice actor they gave him is the same guy who played Perseus in Clash of the Titans. For anyone who's seen the movie, it's completely amazing to actually fight him Maccabeus he has all of the same powers; The invisibility helmet, the sling, etc. Except, in true God of War style, you get to destroy all of these items until there's nothing left stopping Kratos from ripping him apart.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Sweet, so essentially, every RotG is like starting over. Except not.... because like, a lot of guys are still dead and stuff.

I never once tried healing them while raging like a god.

It's better to just cast magic until the meter runs out, and then heal your family. The meter refills quite fast.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg