As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GRE or GMAT?

CambiataCambiata Commander ShepardThe likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
Currently I'm working my way towards my masters via a program through edX called "micromasters" where I can earn credit towards my degree before I'm actually in a graduate school. This specific program, if you're curious: http://www.rit.edu/ritonline/cs-mm

It'll still be about half a year before I complete those courses, but once I do I'll need to take either the GMAT or the GRE. I know business schools prefer GMAT, but I have found that all the universities that I've looked at are also OK with the GRE. Is it better then for me to take the GRE to help me out on additional Masters I might want to get? After I get my first Masters, will they even still care about those scores?

One side thing about this is that I found a prep school near me looking for tutors that they'd pay over $100/hr for GMAT tutors who had achieved 99th percentile on that test, which while I know that's a pretty difficult achievement I'd still like to try because $100/hr is a hell of a deal even though the job only offers 5 hr per week (even better if my hours are short since I'd still want to keep my day job if I became a tutor). So yeah that has me kind of leaning that way. But if I'd also have to take the GRE if I wanted to get, say, a Computer Science degree, then I'd rather just do the GRE and be done with it.

Thoughts?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Take the GRE, unless you know for sure you are doing business school. It's the "standard" for most graduate programs at the minimum. If you take the GRE, brush up on your writing skills. The math and reading sections aren't particularly complicated.

That being said, graduate school entrance exams are a gigantic waste of money. Schools that move away from them do the work of saints.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Gre is basically the standard exam for grad schools.
    As far as second masters goes, your test scores (and grades) essentially have an expiration date. Want to say 5 years but I could be pulling that out of my butt

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Gre is basically the standard exam for grad schools.
    As far as second masters goes, your test scores (and grades) essentially have an expiration date. Want to say 5 years but I could be pulling that out of my butt

Yes both tests have a 5yr expiry date. I guess I figured that once you'd actually completed a Masters, the test wouldn't matter anymore... sorta like a GED? Guess not.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    lessthanpilessthanpi MNRegistered User regular
    GMAT's typically easier and not viewed as positively if you're going for anything but an MBA.

I'd go with GRE.

FWIW, I've got 2 masters degrees and the 1st was a complete waste of time. You'll likely only being needing/using one. If you want more grad school post MS or MA get a PhD.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    lessthanpi wrote: »
    FWIW, I've got 2 masters degrees and the 1st was a complete waste of time. You'll likely only being needing/using one. If you want more grad school post MS or MA get a PhD.

Well, I've read a few things about this. I'm interested in getting my masters for several reasons 1) because the BA I have is completely unrelated to the field I work in, and many times when I look at jobs they require an IT-type degree which I don't have and 2) to get a better salary and 3) to pave the way for additional education in other areas where I'm interested.

The thing about a PhD is that it wouldn't help me in those goals. A PhD can actually hinder you from getting IT jobs in the sense of appearing "over qualified" for a job, while masters degrees are looking more and more like the new bachelors degree - a practical degree that gets you a leg up in the field you're interested in. At the moment at least, I have no interest in a PhD.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Yea. I would only get a PhD if you were interested in either research or teaching, spoken from someone with a PhD. Masters are basically good for all the reasons you listed.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    I have an MBA so I did the GMAT, but as I understand it, you want to do the GRE for almost any other sort of graduate studies. Some MBA programs will accept a GRE score as well.

As a note, since I hire people for software development and other technical roles, be careful which graduate program you select if your intention is to "up-skill". There is a lot of variance in the quality of the people I have seen coming out of those programs.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats