As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Architecture, Landscape Design, and Interior Design!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Apparently this one was built on land belonging to a neighbouring house, by that house's owners. I guess they just wanted a nice house to look at out of their windows?

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    bowen wrote: »
    They usually try to hide power substations and sewer access with fake buildings in cities.

Yeah that place was rumored to be a power substation or something, which all the rich folks in the area complained about being an eyesore

It was a very believable story in that town

Straightzi on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    power substations should be in brutalist concrete bunkers imo

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    i kinda wish that we'd just say "fuck it" and start building shit that makes no sense

like, oh this electric substation? yeah it's fully fucking exposed and being held in the palm of a giant bronze hand sticking out of the fucking ground

hey have you seen the new school they're building on the north side of town?

oh you mean the one shaped like a heptagon balancing precariously on a single point and it's made of screaming faces?

no the other one that looks like a split open hotdog being eaten by a huge steampunk centipede

let's go nuts!

edit: architects and city planners are gutless and shameful cowards is what i'm saying

Metzger Meister on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    i kinda wish that we'd just say "fuck it" and start building shit that makes no sense

like, oh this electric substation? yeah it's fully fucking exposed and being held in the palm of a giant bronze hand sticking out of the fucking ground

oh you mean the one shaped like a heptagon balancing precariously on a single point and it's made of screaming faces?

no the other one that looks like a split open hotdog being eaten by a huge steampunk centipede

let's go nuts!

edit: architects and city planners are gutless and shameful cowards is what i'm saying

Architects and city planners would fucking LOVE to do awesome shit like that.

It's real fucking hard to get planning approval for an elementary school that will cost 7 billion dollars to build, though.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I like to imagine it's actually a SCP quarantine zone whenever I see one of these really fake facades.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    There's a tweet in that thread that's interesting

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the middle one of those is cool as heck, the other two are cool looking but also feel kind of like I'm looking at a serial killer wearing their victim's face skin like a mask

BahamutZERO.gif
  • schussschuss Registered User regular

let's go nuts!

It's real fucking hard to get planning approval for an elementary school that will cost 7 billion dollars to build, though.

Yeah, building complex structures is expensive and they often leak.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    OUR NATION'S CHILDREN DESERVE TO GO TO SCHOOL IN A BUILDING SHAPED LIKE A GIANT STEEL PINE TREE

Edit: we'll find the budget somewhere! We'll have a bake sale.

Metzger Meister on
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    There will be bare ledges, 1,000 feet up with no guard rails

Kinetic 20 ton wind sculptures in the playground that can and will crush people not paying attention

The Spikeyard

VRXwDW7.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

let's go nuts!

just tell them its a new, very stealthy fighter jet

Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    There will be bare ledges, 1,000 feet up with no guard rails

Kinetic 20 ton wind sculptures in the playground that can and will crush people not paying attention

The Spikeyard

Strandbeests will claim the sandboxes as their own and defend it against intruders.

Have not only the teachers, but the architecture itself prepare children for survival.

Also modern architecture unrestrained wants to kill your children

VRXwDW7.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

let's go nuts!

just tell them its a new, very stealthy fighter jet

If they put it in an affluent neighbourhood, they can use all the little unvaccinated kids as bombs in a biological warfare attack!

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Have not only the teachers, but the architecture itself prepare children for survival.

Also modern architecture unrestrained wants to kill your children

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyL5mAqFJds

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    There's a tweet in that thread that's interesting

I agree 100% with Tom. Old buildings need to be knocked down, but beautiful old brickwork with modern, efficient buildings behind them are better than a grey rectangle any day of the week.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    OUR NATION'S CHILDREN DESERVE TO GO TO SCHOOL IN A BUILDING SHAPED LIKE A GIANT STEEL PINE TREE

Edit: we'll find the budget somewhere! We'll have a bake sale.

https://youtu.be/J5jwEyDaR-0

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Tezuka architects are good stuff.

They're a couple, he always wears blue, she always red.

• statlerstatler Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Finalists in MLK memorial design competition unveiled
    In a storied history spanning four centuries, Boston Common has played host to grazing cows, a military encampment, victory gardens, and a bandstand modeled after a Greek temple.
    Soon, the iconic park could feature one of its most dramatic additions: a large, visually striking memorial to the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and his wife, Coretta Scott King.
    Five designs selected by a committee of city officials, artists, and academics will be unveiled Tuesday, giving the public a chance to comment on the proposals before the panel picks the winner in November.

wSY6Ovw.jpg
    The mirrored-bronze interlocking arms, by Hank Willis Thomas, a Brooklyn-based conceptual artist, working with the MASS Design Group.

Iqhc9Em.png
    The “Empty Pulpit” sculpture by the writer and sculptor Barbara Chase-Riboud.

BJFRkZf.png
    The “Avenue of Peace” by Yinka Shonibare, a British artist of Nigerian descent.

H0Okwrz.png
    The two “beacon towers” that emit light and sound are part of a sprawling proposal by the Cambridge-based firms Wodiczko + Bonder and Maryann Thompson Architects, working with Walter Hood, the founder of a California designer firm.

guvBGpK.png
    The black stone bridge is a collaboration between several artists and design firms: Adam Pendleton, Adjaye Associates, David Reinfurt, FuturePace, and Gilbane Boston.

Project Website:
    http://mlkboston.org/art/

More Renderings:
    http://www.wbur.org/artery/2018/09/18/mlk-memorial-boston-common-artist-proposals

Direct link to each .PDF:
    The Ripple Effects
    Avenue of Peace
    The Embrace
    Empty Pulpit Monument
    Bridge

Personally, I prefer the Bridge. The hands sculpture is my second choice. It is iconic in the way the Cloud is in Chicago.

statler on
    qy85xdkddou7.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The hands alarm the hell out of me but they'd stand out, for sure.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I love those hands so much

I don't particularly like any of them, but if I had to choose I'd go with the hands

the others look nice, but don't remind me of MLK so much as generic (but nice looking) parks or 9/11 monuments

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I like the pulpit, myself.

I like the idea of the Empty Podium, but I don't get the execution. I get that it is supposed to abstract, but it reads almost like a Native American totem pole.

qy85xdkddou7.png
    The beacon towers remind me of the MLK Memorial here in DC, so that one would grab my vote. Similarly I cannot see a black stone wall in a memorial without thinking of the ones to the wars in Korea/Vietnam.

If only the empty pulpit was pulled off better

VRXwDW7.png
    Three feel like memorial statues, and the other two feel more like a memorial park.

Though I think if you combined the black stone bridge and interlocking arms proposals it could be a very striking memorial.

ADJAYE-PENDLETON-VIEW-NORTH-1000x500.jpg

Someone on another forum mentioned they don't like this proposal because it partially blocks the view of the State House. When someone else pointed out that the designers may have done that on purpose, it made me appreciate it even more.

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Luoyuan Anglican Church: Make it like that Zumthor's Caplutta Sogn Benedetg, but bigger. Way bigger.

Speaking of Zumthor, we visited his Bruder Klaus chapel this year. That building is an actual revelation. Pictures don't do it justice. The actual approach to the building, entering it, going inside, walking through it and sitting down in were a real experience.

Afterwards we also had a picknick watching people arrive and leave at the chapel. That was fun, too.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Those people running the mobile libraries are the best of us

Despite the issues of size and being in China, their libraries feel like the ones I'd most want to read in. If the architecture is too experimental, I care more about the building, if it's too modern it feels oppressive. Gimme dark wood and lower ceilings.

edited October 2018
    honovere on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Okay who wants to live in a series of castles with me

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    What if we want to live in the castles in parallel instead?

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys