As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] This thread has suffered a catastrophic translight jump failure.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I didn't need that 25% of my armament anyway

The K2's arms are for show.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Everyone already replied to it, but that's just bad design not showing your rewards if you quit from a match. I really thought I recieved none and was being punished for not sitting through 10 minutes of nothing. I had sat through the match previous and noticed people leaving, but it was skirmish so I only had to wait for one mech to die.

You think MWO has UI problems? Surely not.

I'm guessing this is a long standing joke much like League of Legends "best online Technical" would get thrown around when they would have game breaking bugs because everything was coded with minons. But it really did turn me off from the game and got me to turn it off. If not I likely would have hopped into another game but I seriously thought you were expected to sit through the match when I recieved none.

I know the academy is there and I did the tutorial, but I guess I thought I'd be grouped with low level players? I guess the playerbase isn't big enough to put a fresh level one aginst other fresh level 1-5's like in LoL, the big F2P game I played.

If they want to get new players in, they really need to figure something else. The acadamy is just training exercises and speed runs and stuff right? Is there actual AI bots in there? If there is, maybe I'll do that. The actual mech movement felt good. Clunky because I was new to it, but like how a mech should control. I liked that part. I just didn't like the mechs I chose.

I'm guessing there's a way to fire besides hitting the numbers? When all I had was 2 gauss rifles it felt bad reaching over and hitting 1 over and over again. It works for other things and I like the weapon cluster ideas, just not getting a good feel for it yet. And not sure I'm too enthused to try it again with other games to play that are also F2P or owned.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Everyone already replied to it, but that's just bad design not showing your rewards if you quit from a match. I really thought I recieved none and was being punished for not sitting through 10 minutes of nothing. I had sat through the match previous and noticed people leaving, but it was skirmish so I only had to wait for one mech to die.

I'm guessing this is a long standing joke much like League of Legends "best online Technical" would get thrown around when they would have game breaking bugs because everything was coded with minons. But it really did turn me off from the game and got me to turn it off. If not I likely would have hopped into another game but I seriously thought you were expected to sit through the match when I recieved none.

I know the academy is there and I did the tutorial, but I guess I thought I'd be grouped with low level players? I guess the playerbase isn't big enough to put a fresh level one aginst other fresh level 1-5's like in LoL, the big F2P game I played.

If they want to get new players in, they really need to figure something else. The acadamy is just training exercises and speed runs and stuff right? Is there actual AI bots in there? If there is, maybe I'll do that. The actual mech movement felt good. Clunky because I was new to it, but like how a mech should control. I liked that part. I just didn't like the mechs I chose.

I'm guessing there's a way to fire besides hitting the numbers? When all I had was 2 gauss rifles it felt bad reaching over and hitting 1 over and over again. It works for other things and I like the weapon cluster ideas, just not getting a good feel for it yet. And not sure I'm too enthused to try it again with other games to play that are also F2P or owned.

In theory, Tier 5s should all be grouped together. The main problem is that you'll get ejected from Tier 5 in about half-dozen matches if you know where your weapon groupings are and how to point at a baddie. That being said...

You should be able to use mouse buttons to fire. LMB = Weapon Group 1, and RMB = Weapon Group 2, for example. If your mouse has a thumb button, you should be able to map that to weapon group 3 or whatever you want. Scroll wheel button (if your mouse has that) is set for zoom toggle by default (I think).

EDIT - and, thinking about it, if you want a bit of practice (albeit without any cbill or xp rewards), I'm sure you could ask some folks around here to pop into a custom match and just dink around so you get used to maps, mechs, and weapons.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah hit any of us up and we're happy to take you along. We do regular group play on thursdays but people are on plenty otherwise.

The game has a learning curve that isnt forgiving but youll get there. Id suggest watching the rest of the match if you die early, it can be helpful.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Sorry about last night gents, we had a couple catastrophic machine failures at work that prevented me from getting home in time. In fact, I’m still working on them.

Soon, damnit. Soon I will ride again, shiny and drunk.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular

MWO infamously has a rather clusterfucky development history of mismanagement, but it's one of the only half-decent multiplayer mechgames out there. It's also getting pretty darn old, and a lot of the people who had the competence/drive to change things for the better have long since departed PGI (or are working on MW5), so the game's just sort of steaming along under it's own power. "If they want to get new players in, they really need to figure something else." just ain't gunna happen, unfortunately.

Academy is just there to get your head wrapped around the basic controls and get some early c-bills, but is otherwise useless. No bots or nothing. You should get grouped up with same tier players, but you can still feel like you get trashed when you're new. This game just plays so differently than most other multiplayer shooters, it really takes a bit to wrap your head around. Things like positioning and loadout are so important, its REAL easy to just step into the wrong area and get obliterated before you even realize what's happened.

For weapon groups and other esoteric things, take a good look through the keybind menu to see what everything is. There's TONS of stuff that they don't really do a very good job of tutorializing. Here's some things that took me a while to figure out, but helped a lot:

-As others have said, set your weapon groups to your mousebuttons. My brain usually can't handle more than 3groups (left, right, thumb).
    -You can set which weapons are in which group in the mechlab (there's a "Weapon group" button). I usually have a primary (big lazors or cannons), a secondary (lil' lazors) and then sometimes a third for missiles. If you find yourself getting too hot, you can split your weapons up to stagger your fire (3 lasers on lmb, 3 lasers on rmb)
    -you can also set your weapon groups in matches by using the arrow keys to go up/down/left/right and hit ctrl to toggle weapons on/off. Takes a bit to grok, but eventually you can retoggle groups on the fly pretty quick if you forget to group them during your loadout.
    -Backspace will enable chain-fire on whatever weapon group is selected (using arrow keys). this will fire each weapon in the group in sequence rather than all at the same time. Good for keeping yourself cool and sustaining fire. I usually use it for missle weapons. You can also set the same weapons in different groups, so you can have one group set to chainfire, and the other to set all at once (ohgodenemyinmyface-eatrocketsbadguy!)
    -some mechs have wiggly arms (if they have upper/lower arm actuators in their arms, they can wiggle them) and you can lock/unlock your arms to aim them independently of your torso (I cant remember the default key. mine is set to shift). This can let you track faster targets than twisting your torso, and can sometimes be handy. I find its mostly a matter of comfort though.

website_header.jpg
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    The thing about MWO is that, despite how much it departs from other implementations, you really need to have played a Mechwarrior game before to grok the major mechanics. The tank controls, heat management, weapon groups, the mechlab, etc. Once upon a time, Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries was offered for free. It's not anymore, but once a company releases DRM free game files into the wild with a "free license", there is no putting that genie back in the bottle. But it's not a bad place to start if you want a single player crash course in what this whole Mechwarrior thing is. Then you can adjust to the specifics of Mechwarrior Online, and it's specific game feel.

• chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Pretty much, yeah. Having played earlier titles is a huge help. The learning curve was a little less steep for me. I used mechspecs.com's build threads as a baseline for not-shit builds and learned better positioning from playing in group drops. I still derp out and have terrible games, though.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    "McGibs” wrote:
    MWO infamously has a rather clusterfucky development history of mismanagement, but it's one of the only half-decent multiplayer mechgames out there. It's also getting pretty darn old, and a lot of the people who had the competence/drive to change things for the better have long since departed PGI (or are working on MW5), so the game's just sort of steaming along under it's own power. "If they want to get new players in, they really need to figure something else." just ain't gunna happen, unfortunately.

Academy is just there to get your head wrapped around the basic controls and get some early c-bills, but is otherwise useless. No bots or nothing.

Are you sure? Granted, it’s been ages since I last ran the Academy(or MWO for that matter), but I could have sworn if you wandered far enough out of the training area you entered an urban area where AI ‘Mechs would attack you.

5gsowHm.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    "McGibs” wrote:

Academy is just there to get your head wrapped around the basic controls and get some early c-bills, but is otherwise useless. No bots or nothing.

Are you sure? Granted, it’s been ages since I last ran the Academy(or MWO for that matter), but I could have sworn if you wandered far enough out of the training area you entered an urban area where AI ‘Mechs would attack you.

There are training where you have to fight mechs either walking forward in lines or standing around like turrets. Or you could try shooting the Trainer but get one shotted. Don't remember any random bots walking about.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Also if youre often dying too soon 95% of the time you would benefit from just hanging back more.

Very few builds need to be the first in.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Also if youre often dying too soon 95% of the time you would benefit from just hanging back more.

Very few builds need to be the first in.

Ideally your team has enough good sniper pilots that the enemy will close/charge to prevent getting picked apart from range. Then the close range mechs destroy the weakened enemy.

LRM boats can't provide this, as they need team mates to both scout and provide locks. (Unless they are heavily invested in target retention skill)

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Sun spider full of srms feels like youre just head butting the enemy

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Jumped on with a couple folks last night for two bad games.
    Got on the discord and my mic wouldn't work which is weird as it works in game?
    Missed a message from @Handsome Costanza

Wasn't my night.
    I did hit my 200 rounds for the free mech though.
    And I have earned about 1000 MC from the loot boxes so not all bad.

Aridhol wrote: »

Wasn't my night.

Might need to check the settings in Discord? I know I have to check mine and switch back and forth between two "choices" for the mic and that gets it working (randomly).

Yeah sorry I missed you. Maybe next week.

oosik_betsuni.png

Reading this post immediately after Gnome was talking about needing snipers, I figured I'd try and make a sniping spider. I came up with two options (one that uses the freebie Hero parts and one that's...well...less free):

Spittin' Thing (can be made entirely out of non-hero bits)
    Sniper-Bro (this one definitely needs hero bits)

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Lurming is IMHO mostly a weapon to support a fast hunting pack and to stop any attempts at softening/breaking a push. Almost no matter what your tactical position is or what your speed is, I can punish you for being within sensor range of our guys and hurt those that take up hull down positions.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden

Wasn't my night.

Yeah you came in on the tail end. Overall we lost more than we won I think, but that's to be expected when we were 50% of the team and mostly just goofing off.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Reading this post immediately after Gnome was talking about needing snipers, I figured I'd try and make a sniping spider. I came up with two options (one that uses the freebie Hero parts and one that's...well...less free):

All-stock omnipod alternative for folks who don't have the hero: https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#ac990304_SNS-D

steam_sig.png

Its an interesting shape from a design perspective. Nice and compact but i worry itll get cored easily.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

Its an interesting shape from a design perspective. Nice and compact but i worry itll get cored easily.

It's got high weapon mounts for peek-n-poke and ECM. The operational range of the gauss rifles should mean that your targets will have difficulty spotting you if you shoot and scoot (provided you're not painted up in neon pink, purple, and green).

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

It's got high weapon mounts for peek-n-poke and ECM. The operational range of the gauss rifles should mean that your targets will have difficulty spotting you if you shoot and scoot (provided you're not painted up in neon pink, purple, and green).

Whats even the point then?

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    Konphujun wrote: »

Whats even the point then?

Being super cereal pro-core mechpilot?

Why you gotta break balls? I was in an Annihilator; they would've seen me anyway!

steam_sig.png
    chasm wrote: »

Why you gotta break balls? I was in an Annihilator; they would've seen me anyway!

You've seen my mechs, haven't you? My most tactically painted mech is a dark purple with neon pink leopard print Ebon Jag ERPPC/gauss sniper.

Could be worse.

A pink Banshee on the battlefield.

Or my red King Crab / Crab paint jobs. Somehow people always shoot at me first.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Could be worse.

A pink Banshee on the battlefield.

Or my red King Crab / Crab paint jobs. Somehow people always shoot at me first.

The King Crab has the same problem as the Annihilator, too distinct.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'd go so far as to argue that if you're in a camouflaged battlemech that is difficult to see due to blending in with the surroundings, then you may be doing it wrong.
    The only time naturalistic camo should be acceptable is in situations where the colors of the camo make you stand out at least as much as the next most eye-searing combination that's possible. Urban camo on a desert map, forest camo in an urban environment, that kind of thing.

see317 wrote: »
    I'd go so far as to argue that if you're in a camouflaged battlemech that is difficult to see due to blending in with the surroundings, then you may be doing it wrong.
    The only time naturalistic camo should be acceptable is in situations where the colors of the camo make you stand out at least as much as the next most eye-searing combination that's possible. Urban camo on a desert map, forest camo in an urban environment, that kind of thing.

I feel obliged to post this as my video response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh269Va6ln0

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

Wasn't my night.

We're on the same pace then because I too just hit 200 loot bags and 1000MCs. (I'd have 1600 MCs by now if I hadnt bought a pattern and a color, that was a bad move in retrospect).

I also am sitting on 29 million c-bills with 3 mechs in my inventory, one of which cant be used in a drop deck. I know I need more mechs I'm just indecisive about what I should get.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    I tried that. Then swore it was because of his ranking and the potatoes he was playing with. Heck, down in Tier 4/5 I could do that all day before stealth armor. Which is why I learned bad habits as a Locust pilot. Which I had to unlearn... But from time to time I forget and stand still in my 20 tonners.

Which reminds me. Last night I was in my Piranha and their entire team missed me for a while because I was behind a pillar, then in a corpse of a downed mech. Good times. Managed to get one kill in that match.

oosik_betsuni.png

Wasn't my night.

We're on the same pace then because I too just hit 200 loot bags and 1000MCs. (I'd have 1600 MCs by now if I hadnt bought a pattern and a color, that was a bad move in retrospect).

I also am sitting on 29 million c-bills with 3 mechs in my inventory, one of which cant be used in a drop deck. I know I need more mechs I'm just indecisive about what I should get.

What do you like to play?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

Wasn't my night.

Thats kinda the problem. I'm not sure. I like brawling but I like sniping too lol. Basically i just want something thats a potent damage dealer, but not a glass cannon.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    edited October 2018

Wasn't my night.

Thats kinda the problem. I'm not sure. I like brawling but I like sniping too lol. Basically i just want something thats a potent damage dealer, but not a glass cannon.

You can build a Timberwolf to do almost anything and its really fast for its class. If you're looking for lighter than that there's the Hunchback IIC, the Shadow Hawk and the Shadow Cat, all fairly versatile.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Oh yeah and it has to be IS.

Resident 8bitdo expert.

I'm going to suggest 3 mechs:

Marauder-5M (5 energy, 2 same-torso ballistic)
    Catapult-K2 (energy and ballistics...noticing a trend?)
    Warhammer-6R (good God, man! you can run dual-AC20 with this thing!)

Warhammer 6R, with LBX10 nipples and a full brace of medium lasers.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    There are the Thunderbolts. Long overlooked mechs and versatile. Probably cheap as well, plus can run STD engines in them.

oosik_betsuni.png

Freebirth

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

Freebirth

FREEDOM!