As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon's Dogma] Dragon's Dogma 2 in the making. Please be excited.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Unfortunately I can’t help you there, I haven’t played for awhile. I think I only made it to ~40. It was fun, but I didn’t have the energy to invest in the game.

I never grouped up for regular quests or world quest, but I did grand missions when they were active. As a sorcerer I would just follow and try to cast a spell before everything died.

I found the Wyrm Hunt discord through Reddit and they were a ton of help answering questions. I’m not sure how active they are now.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Ah, oh well. Looks like Wyrm Hunt is still running at least. Also, there's a promotion going on right now that gives you a free boost to level 80 and a decent chunk of gold to outfit yourself in some reasonable gear. It ends on April 11 I think?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    That’s handy.

Paid thing or for new players?

That would let you boost a job and then use the MQ to level a 2nd.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    You get it in the mail free.

Edit: this is a link to a tumblr site that has translated news: https://tmblr.co/ZSdVou2Vt34iS

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Nice.

I haven’t kept up on the game cause Warframe gets jealous.

They give out stuff pretty regularly that can carry you to lvl 60 at least, but you’ll have to fame stuff for weapons after that.

• Options
    I'm a week in today and loving it. I ended up putting some money into it to get some of the convenience options of the "Adventurer's Pass", not unlike the Subscription benefits in SWTOR (though not nearly as crippling without it). Holy shit, there is a tremendous amount of grinding past level 40 or so, but I'm not deterred. I volunteered to join the group that's spearheading the translation effort, and I got a pretty curt message that was basically 'use this Github' and that was it. My initial reaction was 'fuck that buddy, I'm already learning a foreign language I'm not about to learn a programming one too' but on that Wyrm Hunt discord I found someone else who works on the project and we're going to team up. I'm pretty excited about the whole affair, and the game seems small enough that I can almost envision being able to translate the whole thing little by little. I won't spam the thread any more about this other than to say that there is an alive and well English speaking community playing this game, so don't let Japanese be a barrier to entry.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    You can use it np.

It's not like we are expecting something announced.

Itsuno is likely working in a new DMC.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I'm a week in today and loving it. I ended up putting some money into it to get some of the convenience options of the "Adventurer's Pass", not unlike the Subscription benefits in SWTOR (though not nearly as crippling without it). Holy shit, there is a tremendous amount of grinding past level 40 or so, but I'm not deterred. I volunteered to join the group that's spearheading the translation effort, and I got a pretty curt message that was basically 'use this Github' and that was it. My initial reaction was 'fuck that buddy, I'm already learning a foreign language I'm not about to learn a programming one too' but on that Wyrm Hunt discord I found someone else who works on the project and we're going to team up. I'm pretty excited about the whole affair, and the game seems small enough that I can almost envision being able to translate the whole thing little by little. I won't spam the thread any more about this other than to say that there is an alive and well English speaking community playing this game, so don't let Japanese be a barrier to entry.

please keep posting about ddo <3

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    I mean, I can, but I think it'll very quickly just turn into my translation blog. Here's a little sneak peek then: So the Arisen is known as the 覚者 or "Enlightened One" which might make better sense in the context of the game (you're working with a benevolent white dragon in a sort of quid-pro-quo relationship of heart transfer), it makes no sense in the original where you were called the same thing. The great White Dragon also speaks in archaic Japanese (I often call it Samurai Speak), and refers to the Pawns as 戦徒, which isn't a real word in Japanese, or rather a made up piece of jargon easily understandable by native speakers but meaningless outside of the context, like the word "holo-deck". In this case the kanji are "warrior" + "junior/pupil" which makes me want to translate it as squire, but I'm waiting back from the team lead to see what he wants on that. Other than that I'm absolutely fascinated by how the game decides to impart information; there are no less than three different verb structures that all mean "you get this." This is definitely the most technical thing I've translated, easily surpassing my previous project of the instructions that came with this all-in-one kitchen counter top cooking appliance.

In all seriousness though if you're interested in DDO the bar for entry is incredibly low, and I'm happy to help others through it. There are some really neat things going on in this game like how Elemental Archer is this crazy healing class that shoots beams of healing energy in a crazy Macross-style missile salvo, or how the Warrior class differentiates itself from Fighter by having a sort of masochistic 'revenge' mechanic. And while I originally mourned the loss of Mystic Knight, Shield Sage is super on point mechanically and has gifted me with some sweet imagery of my waifish pawn beating an orc to death with a giant shield.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    EDIT: whoops double

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    @italianranma I’ll be honest, I ran 2 sorcerer and one mystic archer pawn no matter what class I was playing. Usually the sorc pawn just had levin. Maybe the darkness spell you get at lvl 30.

I played with other stuff, but just like the previous game, pawns are pretty simple, and if you give them something complex it won’t go well.

Also, learn the pawn commands, they’re super useful.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Any tools for converting PS3-saves to PS4?

• Options
    Man. I can't get DDsavetool to work for PS3-stuff, even though there's no indication of a problem until I load the game.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen PC servers are currently inaccessible due to a DNS issue. The entire dragonsdogma.com domain name is effectively down because no server addresses are being returned. The game uses its domain name to reach its server.

While the game server itself it still up, you'd have to already know the IP and manually enter it in your hosts file. The game discussions on Steam contain numerous threads with instructions, such as this one.

I've submitted a detailed report on the problem to Capcom U.S.A. support.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Update: A support rep confirmed that Capcom Japan transferred a number of domain names over the holidays, and hadn't fixed up the dragonsdogma.com DNS afterward. They're going to fix it as soon as possible. "The rift will reopen soon", they said :)

Seen this countless times. If your DNS are provided by your domain registrar and you transfer, swap to your new DNS beforehand if at all possible, or ASAP afterward. Ten days later means someone was unaware that this problem would occur. We can be sure they have a firm grasp on the situation now, just a matter of getting the right settings in place on their end.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I'm always happy when this thread pops back up, but this reason is disappointing.

I'm assuming the game can still be played offline?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Of course. You can even still play in online mode, if you don't mind it saying it can't reach the server each time it tries to sync. Doesn't even interrupt the game, the message just floats for a few moments.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    They are so busy with DMC they forgot about it. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Grabbed it for 10 or 11 bucks on PC. I loaned my xbox copy to a co-worker to play after having her watch a video of some gameplay, she's going to try it after Fable 3. I went down to the bottom of the Everthing and I couldn't remember how much I had poked around down there so I started to look around a fair bit. Ran right past the troll of course, who followed me down the fast way for an easy kill. Thanks gravity! I remembered you had to hightail it out of there, but I didn't think to lighten my load so I had to sprint, then walk a bit and catch my breath then sprint some more... and so on.

Hoping to get in some more time this weekend, I grabbed a few mods for it, someone re-did a lot of the world textures so it looks a little prettier. Kind of confused as to why they didn't make another of these in short order, it seemed to sell well enough.

Nosf on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Grabbed it for 10 or 11 bucks on PC. I gave my xbox copy to a co-worker to play after having her watch a video of some gameplay, she's going to try it after Fable 3. I went down to the bottom of the Everthing and I couldn't remember how much I had poked around down there so I started to look around a fair bit. Ran right past the troll of course, who followed me down the fast way for an easy kill. Thanks gravity!

Hoping to get in some more time this weekend, I grabbed a few mods for it, someone re-did a lot of the world textures so it looks a little prettier. Kind of confused as to why they didn't make another of these in short order, it seemed to sell well enough.

I think the consensus is they didn't expect it to sell well, and didn't really have any plans for a sequel. By the time it put up for numbers they had already moved their developers on to other stuff. Plus Capcom loves to shit on any IP without the words Street or Monster in the title.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    They expected more sales but quirky RPGs don't sell like GTA or CoD.

4 million copies iirc was the number they expected. Without a PC version.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Which sucks. I was so ready for that Deep Down game. Multiplayer Dragon's Dogma, basically, with your friends actually in control instead of AI-Pawns.

I mean, it sounds like MonHun, but still. Give me that quirky future story of people loading up a VR world instead of a mythical dragon island with cat-friends.

Alright, give me cat-friends, too.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Actually it sold stupendously well. Capcom was very, very pleased. It was the best selling Capcom game of that year and the best selling new IP from Capcom.

It sold over 2 million some on consoles and the PC version ended up being (for the time) Capcom's best selling PC game.

What kind of derailed things is that Dragon's Dogma Online ended up really popular in Japan so it seems (for the time being) all their Dragon's Dogma efforts are sadly focused on that.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Yeah while it might not have put up GTA numbers Capcom said almost verbatim they were shocked at how well it sold. Even if that means they expected 500k and got 2 million that is still a nice surprise.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    They need to just make DD2 all damn ready. They made enough bank off the first game to warrant a friggin' PC port, and a pretty darn good one too. Even had some limited mod support! God damn it.

God. DAMN. It.

Of course it's owned by Capcom so they'll just sit on the IP forever and never do anything with it until 20 years down the line when they re-release as part of some megaman bundle or some shit.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    This game still has the best action RPG party mechanics and AI I've seen. Really hoping for a sequel too.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    Syzygy wrote: »
    They need to just make DD2 all damn ready. They made enough bank off the first game to warrant a friggin' PC port, and a pretty darn good one too.

DD port won't have been particularly expensive as few MT Framework games had already been ported to PC without any problems and the marketing was quite modest as well.

On the overall success of DD, its true that it was a surprise hit in Japan, but the actual plan for the game was to sell like Skyrim in the west, which it didn't quite manage.

Another thing holding back DD, is that it was appeared to be intended to target a western audience that Monster Hunter didn't appeal to at the time, unfortunately for DD Monster Hunter picked up in the west.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    They are saving the sequel for the new console
    Dragons Dogma coming in 2020
    Yes!!! This must be it

Peas on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Honestly, I kinda wish we had a Monster Hunter:World/Dragon's Dogma crossover.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Honestly, I kinda wish we had a Monster Hunter:World/Dragon's Dogma crossover.
    "Kirin ill like fire, Arisen!"
    "Jagras hunt in packs!"
    "'Tis a troublesome foe!"
    "The tail is severed!"

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    The fighting just felt so fluid. I know that spellcasting classes exist, but why would I ever want to play anything when I've got these awesome melee weapon combos and counters? DD Online is even better as the fighter gains a ton of counter moves. It makes you feel like a real badass when you dodge with hindsight strike and sever a tail or something.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I remember when a magazine told me that Capcom was developing some weird DnD-looking Monster Hunter called Dragon's Dogma.

PLA on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    The fighting just felt so fluid. I know that spellcasting classes exist, but why would I ever want to play anything when I've got these awesome melee weapon combos and counters? DD Online is even better as the fighter gains a ton of counter moves. It makes you feel like a real badass when you dodge with hindsight strike and sever a tail or something.

One thing that's always impressed me was how it incorporated so many distinct combat styles and they generally felt good once you got passed the initial hump where you had no defensive skills. The fluidity of the roguish melee classes felt different from a fighter which felt way different from the more Monster Hunter like warrior. And that's not getting to the ranged options.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. I have this game for the PS3, but it was so dirt cheap on PC that I bought it for that platform.

• Options
    In DDO they separated the bows from the knives on the strider classes, which kinda feels like a mistake tbh. Warrior is much improved though. There's no magic knight and instead a shield sage which is a little different from the standard archtypes but super fun in play. I think if I were to make the sequel to it I'd tie your skills to your weapon selection, but let you swap weapons in play. The original game held my attention for 4 or 5 months which is incredible for a single-player game for me. DDO held a similar amount of time, though I never achieved the max level to start doing dungeons/raiding, so it was almost like playing the single player game.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    I think if I were to make the sequel to it I'd tie your skills to your weapon selection, but let you swap weapons in play.

There's a mod that basically lets you do that already. You can equip weapons from any vocation to hotswap to that vocation's skills.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    It's a pretty straightforward change, because the game already keeps skills equipped for every type of weapon you're not using.

• Options
    I'm wondering if Capcom is already cooking a DMC V edition for the PS5 and the XB1++.

It's all Unreal Engine, right?

Maybe after that we could get DD2. Maybe.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    This game still has the best action RPG party mechanics and AI I've seen. Really hoping for a sequel too.

The bones of this game are really strong. There was a lot of room for improvement around the edges, but the overall concept and structure is fantastic. And then adding a repeatable dungeon for improved loot was a great idea. I can see a world where they expanded on the game by adding DLC every 3-4 months with additional content, dungeons, stories, skills, etc.

I had a lot of fun with it, and I think about going back to it a lot except there are just so many games to play and such little time. But: Magick Archer for life!

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

What other game lets you Summon a Tornado to just blender all of your foes from outside their range?

Every Vocation felt really powerful. You never felt held back by your choice.

This discussion has been closed.