As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    except saisons

those are poison

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Aldi has won two gold medals at the Whisky Masters.

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/a21343868/aldi-whisky-best-in-world/

The bottles are $17 and $23.

That's vague...especially since their stuff also won last year. Bud Lite wins all kinds of awards too because it is often considered the best "lite american lager" in the "large scale brewery" category. You have to tell me what it beat to get me interested.

A quick glance reveals to me that they hand out multiple gold/silver medals, so it's a "how much did the judges like it" not a "this got first place" kind of thing

Yeah I think the takeaway from that is if you have only $20 to spend on whiskey, Aldi's is a good choice.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If I only have $20 to spend on whiskey I'll wait until I have at least $15 more dollars, because I haven't met any whiskey under $35 that was worth drinking without a bunch of Coke or whatever mixed in.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Something I have noticed is I have stupidly high alcohol tolerance. I did an experiment:

My GF drank three drinks with one shot each over 4-5 hours. She got *hammered*.

I, on the other hand, had 10 shots over 90 minutes with the caveat that the moment I feel tipsy or sick I'd stop. Not only did neither of those happen I woke up feeling perfectly fine (never actually been hungover).

It makes me sad because it seems like getting (somewhat) drunk is fun, but it seems like it would take an ungodly amount to do it and I don't particularly feel like dying.

Anyone else like this or know someone who is? I've never met anyone else similar. Hell, my one friend gets borderline drunk off one glass of wine. At least people never have to worry about a DD!

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Magus` wrote: »
    Something I have noticed is I have stupidly high alcohol tolerance. I did an experiment:

I, on the other hand, had 10 shots over 90 minutes with the caveat that the moment I feel tipsy or sick I'd stop. Not only did neither of those happen I woke up feeling perfectly fine (never actually been hungover).

It makes me sad because it seems like getting (somewhat) drunk is fun, but it seems like it would take an ungodly amount to do it and I don't particularly feel like dying.

Anyone else like this or know someone who is? I've never met anyone else similar. Hell, my one friend gets borderline drunk off one glass of wine. At least people never have to worry about a DD!

Alcohol tolerance varies widely by person, gender, body weight, and genetic background

If you sat down with a bottle of liquor and drank it you would get drunk

I would be careful with alcohol, I’ve read that a high tolerance is a risk factor for alcoholism

Also, I wouldn’t DD after drinking regardless of how you feel. Just because you don’t feel intoxicated doesn’t mean you’re sober

Casual Eddy on
    I meant in the sense I wouldn't drink because what's even the point? I wouldn't drink and drive even if I felt 100% fine.

Also, outside stuff designed to taste great, I don't like the taste of alcohol. I definitely have no desire to drink often. Or at all if it tastes bad.

I tried the experiment just because I thought it was funny that I felt nothing. Now that I know even that isn't enough, it's not worth risking my health to find out what is.

Being around drunk people while sober can be fun enough as is!

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Alcohol tolerance varies widely by person, gender, body weight, and genetic background

I would be careful with alcohol, I’ve read that a high tolerance is a risk factor for alcoholism

Also, I wouldn’t DD after drinking regardless of how you feel. Just because you don’t feel intoxicated doesn’t mean you’re sober

There’s also the thing where one of the effects of people with high tolerance underestimate their drunkenness. It’s dangerous because people who feel in control actually aren’t but still think they are.

As to cheap whiskey, four roses makes a good bottle for $20 @DarkPrimus

People have told me I don't look or act drunk, but anecdotal, etc. I definitely didn't have motor skills or speech issues.

Also I'm starting a keto diet which isn't exactly alcohol friendly. Ah well!

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Aldi has won two gold medals at the Whisky Masters.

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/a21343868/aldi-whisky-best-in-world/

The bottles are $17 and $23.

That's vague...especially since their stuff also won last year. Bud Lite wins all kinds of awards too because it is often considered the best "lite american lager" in the "large scale brewery" category. You have to tell me what it beat to get me interested.

A quick glance reveals to me that they hand out multiple gold/silver medals, so it's a "how much did the judges like it" not a "this got first place" kind of thing

Yeah I think the takeaway from that is if you have only $20 to spend on whiskey, Aldi's is a good choice.

I got a 3 pack of mini bottles of their different Glen Marnoch double casks to try - Rum, Bourbon and Sherry finishes.

I wouldn’t buy a full bottle of any of them.

edited January 2019
    Vanguard wrote: »

There’s also the thing where one of the effects of people with high tolerance underestimate their drunkenness. It’s dangerous because people who feel in control actually aren’t but still think they are.

As to cheap whiskey, four roses makes a good bottle for $20 @DarkPrimus

I have to confess, I've had an aversion to trying Four Roses because it was name-dropped as being the drink of choice for alcoholic deadbeats in several plays I studied in college. :razz:

DarkPrimus on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    who knows what tastes good better than the guy who does nothing but drink constantly?

10,000 hour rule right

(it is actually p good for the price)

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Whew, we had someone leave a couple bottles of a German marzen after a party and man, it's been a long, long, time since I've found a beer undrinkable. The label was in German but I'm pretty sure it was called Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier. I love peaty, smokey things but I've never had something that tasted that much like liquid smoke.

I found my new favorite tutorial for mixed drinks.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    i

but

isn't that a manhattan

e: lel 3oz of bourbon

Chanus on
    A Manhattan has bitters in it. She did not put any bitters in it.

jod29cxm8gwt.png

call the police

Chanus wrote: »

jod29cxm8gwt.png

call the police
    Watch the video closely. She has a bitters bottle there... but do any bitters come out?

jod29cxm8gwt.png

call the police
    Watch the video closely. She has a bitters bottle there... but do any bitters come out?

witchcraft!

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I found my new favorite tutorial for mixed drinks.

what the FUCK IS THIS

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    That's fruit compote drowned in cheap bourbon. Perfect for the summer!

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    I mean, I've read that it was the style of the 1990s to mash the fruit in your cup. If I go to an AMC theater and ask for an old fashioned, they make what she seems to say she's making--although they don't just pour a cold pint over ice on top of it.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Its called a “brandy old fashioned” and we have talked about it many times here. When cocktails hit their nadir the brandy old fashioned survived in Wisconsin as like, the only old fashioned, and then this was exported out to the rest of the states before the recent cocktail revolution.

Sometimes you will even get it with a top of sprite or coke. Theyre quite good with brandy or whiskey or even tequila. The one pictured there was... not well constructed. But otherwise fine

A good number of bartending schools will teach you to make an old fashioned like that though this much less common than it used to be.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Imaginary bitters are the best kind.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    This thread is nine years old

• useruser Registered User regular
    You could infer that in the aggregate this community is very moderate in this particular vice. Anime at 20 pages / week, alcohol at ~11 pages per year.

I've done the experiment and made my own gomme syrup ~ 7 % gum, rich simple syrup. Wonderfully viscous and velvety on the tongue when used in a cocktail.

I ought to know more cocktails that call for a little syrup, but my tastes are more along the lines of direct, and so the sweetest drinks I enjoy are Margaritas and Whisky sours.

Perfectly aged, time to open a new one?

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Perfectly aged, time to open a new one?

Could do with another 3 years, really.

I just trademarked “Page 101” for a PA-themed brew

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019

A mix of ancient and modern hop strains, with a touch of wild yeast 101 proof.

MichaelLC on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

How anime will the label be?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    do all threads go full anime on page 101?

do i need to load up booze-related anime gifs

Depends on the ABV

anime by volume

do all threads go full anime on page 101?

do i need to load up booze-related anime gifs

All you need is Misato drinking.

None More Anime

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    An elderly friend of my parents gave them the contents of his liquor cabinet before he passed away, and they gave it to me since they don't drink liquor. In it is an unopened bottle of Jameson's, still in its box, with a tax stamp on it that dates it between 1982-1985. I feel like I've just barn-found an undriven Yugo. What do I do with a 34-37 year old bottle of Jameson's?

nibXTE7.png
    An elderly friend of my parents gave them the contents of his liquor cabinet before he passed away, and they gave it to me since they don't drink liquor. In it is an unopened bottle of Jameson's, still in its box, with a tax stamp on it that dates it between 1982-1985. I feel like I've just barn-found an undriven Yugo. What do I do with a 34-37 year old bottle of Jameson's?

What kind of Jameson?

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Just plain old not special at all Jameson.

vbKSw4l.jpg

nibXTE7.png
    edited September 2019
    I mean, whiskey doesn't age once bottled like how wine does, so it's probably basically the same as it was the day it was purchased unless like, there was a break in the seal and the cork rotted inside or something.

You can do a lot worse than a bottle of Jameson.

DarkPrimus on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    I mean, whiskey doesn't age once bottled like how wine does, so it's probably basically the same as it was the day it was purchased unless like, there was a break in the seal and the cork rotted inside or something.

You can do a lot worse than a bottle of Jameson.

Yeah, and even if some random person wanted it, for like an upcoming 40th birthday, you can't exactly sell it on ebay or whatever.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.