As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

4K TVs

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
I'm in the market for a roughly mid-range TV. I currently have a 60" plasma which is also acting as a space heater. I'd prefer at least 55" with HDR support and trying to keep it under $600.

Any suggestions? I know Black Friday can have deals but I'm not sure if the assumed discount is worth the wait.

Thanks!

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    I don't have any recommendations personally but the TV thread in Moe's is pretty great and helpful --

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/141038/the-tv-thread-more-for-less

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    At that price point I think you're looking at the Roku TCL 55R617. You'd need a deal to get that under $600 one but not a huge one, like 10%. I grabbed one off Ebay earlier this ear when they were running one of Ebay wide promos.

I've been pretty happy with it though it drives me nuts there was no single button to swap inputs. I fixed that with a Harmony remote but it is still there by default.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Another option are Vizio screens but much like Devoutly's suggestion, you're gonna need to wait for a small deal to get it into your price range. I have one of their smaller 4k TVs and it works and looks perfectly fine so I feel pretty comfortable recommending them as a solid budget option.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
  • SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Stay away from Samsung smart TVs. We had one for about 1 week before we took it back to the store (and got a cheaper Vizio non smart tv). Because annoying ass pop ups every few hours that there was no way to disable. We looked it up. No idea if smart TVs of other brands or newer models have the same problem

Siska on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Siska wrote: »
    Stay away from Samsung smart TVs. We had one for about 1 week before we took it back to the store (and got a cheaper Vizio non smart tv). Because annoying ass pop ups every few hours that there was no way to disable. We looked it up. No idea if smart TVs of other brands or newer models have the same problem

For TCL I can say that isn't an issue. They basically just have a roku built in to manage inputs and apps and all that and generally just gets out of the way. There are some minor annoyances, like the preset for "Playstation" doesn't have game mode turned on by default which gave me a minor heart attack until I realized it.

Also the HDR brightness setting is per an input and can't be adjusted unless the input is currently displaying in HDR. Stuff came out too dark until I realized that and could correct. That sort of thing, where there are not really fine grained adjustment options could be an issue if you really like to tweak that sort of stuff.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Popup? Can you fill me in here? Because I've never seen it, but I set them up all the time and I want to be sure I'm not missing something.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I've not had that problem with my Samsung TV, a KS8000. The main problem I have is that the TV tends to get confused with respect to what device I'm currently using, which may be due to the Sony AV receiver I've got hooked up to the TV on one side and to a PS4, Apple TV and UHD Blu-ray player on the other. Sometimes the TV recognises the individual inputs, often it doesn't, and sometimes it switches to an entirely inappropriate input type such as PC, which limits the video options. I'm still happy with the TV, but there are times when I want to throw the remote at it.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Thirith wrote: »
    I've not had that problem with my Samsung TV, a KS8000. The main problem I have is that the TV tends to get confused with respect to what device I'm currently using, which may be due to the Sony AV receiver I've got hooked up to the TV on one side and to a PS4, Apple TV and UHD Blu-ray player on the other. Sometimes the TV recognises the individual inputs, often it doesn't, and sometimes it switches to an entirely inappropriate input type such as PC, which limits the video options. I'm still happy with the TV, but there are times when I want to throw the remote at it.

CEC sucks.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I can't say I agree. I picked up a 55" Samsung smart TV a couple of months ago and there has't been anything resembling a popup and oddly Netflix works better on it than it does on my PC.

The closest thing would probably be that it wanted me to watch some silly no content Samsung thing before I managed to get my other devices set up on it but that took maybe five minutes? Since then my only complaint is my cable box remote can't access the Source menu but I'm not sure that's the fault of the TV.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I've owned 3 Samsung smart TVs and have never had those issues.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Also haven't had any popups on a KS8000 or heard of that.

I wonder if your remote had a button stuck?

• JoeyJoeyJoeyJoey Registered User new member
    I recently bought a new OLED 65 inch from LG. I thought with the OLED 4k TV's the backlighting issues would be gone. Unfortunately, you still get the banding you used to get with LCD. The blacks are awesome as the pixels are turned off, but we had to have the screen replaced because the banding was so bad, and the new one has issues, too.

Banding happens on edge lit TVs. OLED are not edge lit.

So uh... What's going on with your TVs?

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I think you must be diagnosing another problem as banding or that is actually a natural part of the image. Like shadowfire said, a full-backlight LED or OLED won't band. https://picturesettings.com/remove-clouding-banding-flashlighting-tv/

I'm thinking of picking up a 65" OLED sometime soon, maybe after the holidays.

Yeah I mean... If you're seeing banding of some kind, you've got a bad part. Horizontal bands could be a bad panel, vertical may be TCON or panel. Either way you need a replacement/repair under warranty.

• JoeyJoeyJoeyJoey Registered User new member
    LG replaced the screen. There were dark bands down the screen in multiple places - visible on dark and light colours. Looked exactly like the issue we had with our old LED TV.

I specifically bought an OLED because from what I read, these kinds of issues were done with, and that's why I justified spending £3,000. LG weren't even going to replace it to begin with and said grey scaling or something was to be expected! I wasn't having that. Watching TV was impossible.

Screen is replaced, and now there is a whole horizontal band on the left side of the screen which is slightly different colour from the rest. Back in touch with them to replace the screen for a second time.

Can we see pictures? I'm curious.

That vertical band sounds like a TCON that wasn't calibrated to the panel properly. Which is why LG recommends techs replace both the panel and TCON together, because doing one and calibrating it to work with the other is a huge hassle.

Sounds like clown shoes. Sorry you're going through it. :(

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I got the TCL Series 6, BTW. Trying to find good sources to put it to the test. Having trouble finding any Dolby Vision stuff, or at least stuff the TV says is DV (message in the corner lets you know if a source is HDR(10) or DV. Plenty of the first, not so much the second.

Magus` wrote: »
    I got the TCL Series 6, BTW. Trying to find good sources to put it to the test. Having trouble finding any Dolby Vision stuff, or at least stuff the TV says is DV (message in the corner lets you know if a source is HDR(10) or DV. Plenty of the first, not so much the second.

Daredevil S3 on Netflix is Dolby Vision if you want a test run.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Don't have the UHD capable NF. Perhaps I should.

It looks like a handful of Amazon stuff is DV as well. The Grand Tour probably looks amazing.