As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Disgaea]: D2 Out On Steam, D5 Coming To Nintendo Switch

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I must be the only one on the planet who likes D2's story most...

Also, I had a random thought: is it viable to patch The Invasion From Within into the Steam version?

That’s just your style?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    In other neat news apparently D5 did really well on the Switch, especially in North America, and exceeded NIS's expectations.

As to the series overall success in the West (which has been very good) NIS President had this to say about it, "As for why that is, I have no clue, but because that is the case we're going to make more and more Disgaeas and release them into the world."

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I like the parts of 5 that are anything other than "next time on Dragon Ball Z".
    If you cut those 80 %, I enjoyed it more than 4.

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    I'm on board for Disgaeas as long as they keep up the quality. I already own 2 copies of Disgaea 1 and I'm probably going to cave and get it again for the switch. I won't need to get 5 again though. But i'd be happy with any of the ps3 Disgaeas to be re-released on the switch. I do like having those platinums for the PS achieves though.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    I get removing "pyon", but then adding "plip" just seems selfdefeating.

I must be the only one on the planet who likes D2's story most...

Also, I had a random thought: is it viable to patch The Invasion From Within into the Steam version?

D2 is the one with Rasetsu mode? D2 was fine, the jump from 20 stars to Rasetsu in post game was a killer though.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Going from 5 back to 1 for Complete sure is a thing. The good old days before any sequels could add quality of life adjustments and new systems.

As long as the innocent farm is still a thing in games going forwards I'm happy. Levelling up innocents in old games is super painful :(

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I loved 3's classroom seating mechanic.

wVEsyIc.png
    "D2" as in Disgaea 2, or the one that's actually named "D2"?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    "D2" as in Disgaea 2, or the one that's actually named "D2"?

Disgaea 2, I'm not a fan of DD2. (Which is how I'd abbreviate it anyway)

wVEsyIc.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    As long as the innocent farm is still a thing in games going forwards I'm happy. Levelling up innocents in old games is super painful :(

Tell me more about this innocent farm.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Disgaea D2 took a mechanic that existed in Disgaea 4 and made it actually usable, so I'm glad Defender carried over to Disgaea 5. Disgaea 5 also added something like Rampart Aura, so that's neat.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I keep waiting to see if DD2 will get announced for the Switch or the PS4 or Steam because I want to play it, but I don't want to have to dig out my PS3 to do so.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    In other neat news apparently D5 did really well on the Switch, especially in North America, and exceeded NIS's expectations.

As to the series overall success in the West (which has been very good) NIS President had this to say about it, "As for why that is, I have no clue, but because that is the case we're going to make more and more Disgaeas and release them into the world."

It was a fairly high-quality, meaty game that released at a time when the Switch had basically nothing on it, so that wasn't particularly surprising to me.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I preordered d4 complete, so now ive bought the game like 3 times lol. Im excited to play through the extra stuff that i didnt get to on the vita with all the d5 qol stuff. It looks like preorders get a discount on every system atm too.

I think i also saw that dd2 is on ps now, which looks neat since i never got it on ps3. I also never played 3 either.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    No idea how good the two games were, but if you like Prinnies and like the Switch then I have good news for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEOp2cYqBZo

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    The first game is a masterpiece, the second is hot garbage(apart from Asagi Wars, which is incredible).

wVEsyIc.png
    So NIS is teasing a new IP, Shoujo Jigoku no Doku Musume

https://nippon1.jp/consumer/dokumusume/

z4f3kiomzsex.jpg

It's Japan so of course no details on gameplay or anything actually game related yet, but hey just letting us know they got something new.

March 26th Famitsu will be releasing a story on it, so at the very least we'll get the details then.

The game is set to release in Japan on June 25th for PS4 and Switch.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Possible upcoming Disgaea image:

j7e7jH7.png

This was posted at Reddit alongside the pic:
    For more context, NIS likes to send out a postcard in the summer, teasing a game they haven't announced yet. They've done this for both Disgaea games and other IPs.

So it may be Disgaea 6, or it may be some other title. Looks pretty Disgaea-like to me, but we'll probably see for sure what it really is in the near future. During Tokyo Game Show, maybe?

I only post this because I saw it while poking around the Disgaea subreddit since I've been playing 4, and I didn't want to keep mucking up the Switch thread talking about it.

I finished 4's story and have gotten into postgame things and endless leveling. I think ultimately I prefer 5's story to 4's, which doesn't seem to be a very popular opinion.

Some of the characters of 4 are much better, but the actual story and events of 5 were more enjoyable and interesting. 4 gets by on the comedic strength of Valvatorez and Desco alone. And beyond that it probably even comes down to Troy Baker. :P

I think the primary thing in terms of storytelling is that you either want to see the characters evolve and grow over the course of the plot, or have some really interesting twists and turns along the way, and 4 does neither. Character growth largely doesn't happen in 4 except for Emizel, whereas everyone in 5 has their moments.

Valvatorez's whole thing is the importance of keeping one's promises. I expected his past self to be a habitual oath-breaker until one specific moment that wounded him and changed his outlook, which led to his commitment to promises...nope. He was just always like this, and still is at the end. By contrast, Killia does follow the character growth laid out here. I do recognize peoples' complaints about how boring he is and agree with a lot of it, but I appreciate his story.

I was kind of dumbfounded in 4 when Vulcanus shows up and everyone starts speculating about her, and the big reveal at the end is...
    yes all the speculations were correct. The ending was spoiled from the beginning. I was all geared up for some sort of twist to shake things up, but no.

Characters like Desco and Fuka live or die by how endearing you find their gimmick to be. I was done putting up with Fuka the moment I met her, but Desco was awesome. However, neither really changed much...Fuka could've become less insufferable in the same ways Seraphina did, but they didn't really do anything with her.

Neither game is perfect, both 4 and 5 have a rigid structure where it's like, early chapter introduces character, later chapter resolves their arc. I feel like 5's story was just more interesting overall, with surprises along the way. I would've never expected them to pull off what they did with a joke character like Red Magnus, and I liked all of Christo's story and personal conflict.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    People are speculating it's '6' because of the tree shape, but I guess we'll see.

It seems like it might be a female protagonist?

Speaking of unpopular opinions, my favorite story and arc is 2's, also because it's both a revenge and a love story, sort of.

wVEsyIc.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    2 has it's moments, but it also has a bunch of chapters of the protagonist being really dumb.

Of course then Laharl shows up and things get crazy.

Edit: I definitely prefer 4 to 5, but that's absolutely because of the better characters. Fuuka and Valvatorez's interactions in the first chapter sold me pretty hard on that cast.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Speaking of unpopular opinions, my favorite story and arc is 2's, also because it's both a revenge and a love story, sort of.

Disgaea 2 or Digaea D2? Because my answer is Yes.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //

2. Never had an interest in D2.

wVEsyIc.png
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i hope those arent d6 characters because they are not very inspired. some unicorn love frankenstein and "not majorita"

Enigmedic wrote: »
    i hope those arent d6 characters because they are not very inspired. some unicorn love frankenstein and "not majorita"

They look fine to me. Actually it looks like a brother/sister story which I think would be the first game to focus on that dynamic with the main characters?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    It's about time I've had a new Disgaea.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited August 2020
    I've been spoiled by Disgaea 5 Complete and Disgaea 4 Complete+ in a way that I don't know if I would be happy buying the base game and then the DLC as it comes out and then waiting for further QoL patches. Similar to how it's felt buying localized Monster Hunter games for many years. The Completes are great.

From what I read about Disgaea 4 back on PS3, it's lacking a bunch of really important stuff from the Vita rerelease and subsequently Complete+. Like it doesn't have the Battle Suit's new ability Run Wild which lets you turn your character into an NPC and kill it with the Puppy Paw Stick to dupe items. Instead you have to resort to desperate RNG senate methods. Also no Cheat Shop, with its easy difficulty/grinding mods, and pirate options that make getting the ship that takes you to the Land of Carnage much easier.

UncleSporky on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Possible upcoming Disgaea image:

j7e7jH7.png

This was posted at Reddit alongside the pic:
    For more context, NIS likes to send out a postcard in the summer, teasing a game they haven't announced yet. They've done this for both Disgaea games and other IPs.

So it may be Disgaea 6, or it may be some other title. Looks pretty Disgaea-like to me, but we'll probably see for sure what it really is in the near future. During Tokyo Game Show, maybe?

3q0vnnait1ct.png
    44i47623wxdf.png

I guess it could be something else, but that screams 6 and Disgaea's style to me. But... Labyrinth of Galleria: Coven of Dusk is still coming and that could be a G instead of a 6.

Edit: The more I look at it the more conflicted I am. That obelisk with the red lights doesn't make me think Disgaea.

sl9c4ty6gl81.png

KiTA on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

2. Never had an interest in D2.

That's a shame because I thought D2 was really good.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I've been spoiled by Disgaea 5 Complete and Disgaea 4 Complete+ in a way that I don't know if I would be happy buying the base game and then the DLC as it comes out and then waiting for further QoL patches. Similar to how it's felt buying localized Monster Hunter games for many years. The Completes are great.

From what I read about Disgaea 4 back on PS3, it's lacking a bunch of really important stuff from the Vita rerelease and subsequently Complete+. Like it doesn't have the Battle Suit's new ability Run Wild which lets you turn your character into an NPC and kill it with the Puppy Paw Stick to dupe items. Instead you have to resort to desperate RNG senate methods. Also no Cheat Shop, with its easy difficulty/grinding mods, and pirate options that make getting the ship that takes you to the Land of Carnage much easier.

The Senate method was only good for when you wanted to dupe one thing a billion times and was far more effort than it was worth otherwise. The much better way of duping in the beforetimes was using the Chara-world. Heart Dudes (whatever they were called) spawned with the equipment the person you were diving into had equipped, and could be stolen from.

My favorite weird gamebreak in the series though goes to Disgaea 3, with once again, the Puppy Paw Stick. They remembered to set Magichange weapons to be unstealable with hand items, but forgot to set them for Puppy Paw Stick. This let your steal them and then they glitched up. They lost the countdown to being dispelled or whatever, and could be equipped or moved around at will. If they were in your inventory when you returned to base, all their stats would be set to 0, but that integrity check doesn't happen during battles. So you kill a dude and steal his super powerful Magichanged weapon, and then immediately, in-the-battle equip it on somebody, and voila, you now have a ridiculously powerful weapon that boosts every stat. You just can't ever unequip it out of battle or it becomes totally useless.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    My favorite weird gamebreak in the series though goes to Disgaea 3, with once again, the Puppy Paw Stick. They remembered to set Magichange weapons to be unstealable with hand items, but forgot to set them for Puppy Paw Stick. This let your steal them and then they glitched up. They lost the countdown to being dispelled or whatever, and could be equipped or moved around at will. If they were in your inventory when you returned to base, all their stats would be set to 0, but that integrity check doesn't happen during battles. So you kill a dude and steal his super powerful Magichanged weapon, and then immediately, in-the-battle equip it on somebody, and voila, you now have a ridiculously powerful weapon that boosts every stat. You just can't ever unequip it out of battle or it becomes totally useless.

The Puppy Paw Stick was just non-stop exploits. You weren't supposed to be able to dupe items by stealing from your clones either, but the Puppy Paw Stick bypassed that check too.

And then for 4 they just shrugged, halved the proc chance and kept it in.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    Making it official in 5 with a person who hands you a dupe was cool too, felt like a satisfactory reward for getting to that point.

I've gotten a little stuck in the Disgaea 4 endgame.

I'm at the point where I can easily get any character to level 9999 with as much mana and HL as I would ever need, and I can also dupe items and innocents. I can't beat Pringer X Roar, who is carrying an Arcadia that I need in order to get a Trapezohedron (and a Super Mechsuit that I need in order to get Invincible Armor which seems like a better item). So without access to the ultimate gear I don't think I'm at the point that I should start maxing out items. But I can't level any higher. Pringer X Roar one shots any character so I have like 10 moves to kill him. I could spend some time maxing out more skills so they can actually mildly hurt him...

I've never touched the Chara World, but that seems mostly for things like movement range and skill inheritance. I have the X-Dimension fully unlocked but mostly untouched. Once I get that partly completed I could get to Land of Carnage but I don't know why I would do any of that, i.e. if that's a path to further power in spite of being all 9999 anyway.

I guess I could start leveling up a Makai Wars and dupe it, see if a halfway-perfect item is a good stepping stone.

For now I'm in a holding pattern doing other endgame content just for the sake of doing it like the Fuka and Desco time travel story.

edited August 2020
    Chara World also gives small increases to the base stats, which improve both leveling and item power. I forget what else there is in there. Evilities and transferring skills around are the big things besides increasing move. Putting Big Bang on everybody so they can level quickly is always nice.
    E:
    One of the very non-obvious tricks was to skip this. You can capture pirates, including user pirates. A guy named Scy back in the day in the original Disgaea 4 on Gamefaqs completely maxed out characters with all abilities and skills learned, and set up a pirate ship with them at level 1 so they were easily capturable (but androids, so post-game class). They were nicknamed Scybots and people spread them around. I ran into some randomly in the wild once even.

There are lots of ways to get small increases in power. You may just need a better strategy though. A single hypercarry unit and then maximizing their potential is usually the way to go. Magichanging Desco onto someone and then surrounding them to take advantage of her evility is good, better with a 2x magichange for the double attack. Artina also has a skill that gives a big boost IIRC. You can then throw that person into the base to preserve magichange timer so they can attack again safely next turn.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    Time Leap was a whole bunch of pointless wheel spinning, phew. I don't know if I've ever played anything so disrespectful of a player's time in terms of storytelling.

I expected Back to the Future and I got the exact same story already told to me during the main game but extended out to like 5 hours. Nemo doesn't even appear.

Felt like I was a third of the way through before they even realized they were back in time and all the implications that would have.

There was so much they could've done with the premise that they didn't even try to attempt!
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Chara World also gives small increases to the base stats, which improve both leveling and item power. I forget what else there is in there. Evilities and transferring skills around are the big things besides increasing move. Putting Big Bang on everybody so they can level quickly is always nice.
    E:
    One of the very non-obvious tricks was to skip this. You can capture pirates, including user pirates. A guy named Scy back in the day in the original Disgaea 4 on Gamefaqs completely maxed out characters with all abilities and skills learned, and set up a pirate ship with them at level 1 so they were easily capturable (but androids, so post-game class). They were nicknamed Scybots and people spread them around. I ran into some randomly in the wild once even.

There are lots of ways to get small increases in power. You may just need a better strategy though. A single hypercarry unit and then maximizing their potential is usually the way to go. Magichanging Desco onto someone and then surrounding them to take advantage of her evility is good, better with a 2x magichange for the double attack. Artina also has a skill that gives a big boost IIRC. You can then throw that person into the base to preserve magichange timer so they can attack again safely next turn.

Yeah, from what I have read it sounds like just leveling to 9999 and reincarnating multiple times can have a big impact on stats? Stored levels? And I need more maxed skills on everyone due to Pringer X Roar's crazy ability that nullifies any ability used more than once.

Reincarnation has a number of effects.

Every stat gets a bonus to its base depending on what they were when you reincarnated.
    You get more bonus points to spend depending on how many total levels you've reincarnated away.
    Story characters get +5% to all of their stat aptitudes each time they reincarnate, up to +25% all around.

Upgrading base stats is super important, because every level up gives more stats depending on what the base stats are. So there's a huuuuge difference between a character at level 500 who never reincarnated, and a character at level 500 who reincarnated after reaching level 500 once before. Grinding up the total levels is technically a thing you can do, and if you can reach level 9999 pretty painlessly, the bang for your buck is decent enough, but it's a lot less important in 4, and totally useless in 5 because reaching the base stat caps is almost trivial there.

More skills is important specifically for Roar, but remember you can use Magichange skills too. 4-5 skills on a hypercarry unit is probably overkill.

ztrEPtD.gif
    I googled hypercarry earlier because I thought it might be some accepted terminology for some awesome strat but one of the only people who has ever used the word in the context of Disgaea is you, in this thread in 2017. :D (Outside of Disgaea it seems to be League of Legends.)

I know what you mean, though. The "carry" part made me think it might have to do with characters lifting each other up and carrying them around. :P

It's a fairly common MOBA term.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=hyper+carry

But yeah. It's much easier and more effective to put all your eggs in one basket and create a super powerful unit because it basically created inertia. Having one super dude makes it easier to get more because it gives you access to much better stuff, not to mention literally just dragged them along via exp sharing by magichange, tower attacks, or the cam-pain exp leech building.

ztrEPtD.gif
    I got a Makai wars to level 300 with +6 movement and duped it for a bunch of my team, which I know is probably technically a waste of time, but it smoothed over a lot of difficult things like finally beating Pringer X Roar, enough of X-Dimension to unlock Carnage, and a couple other things. Also got Guardian innocent to 500 spread around to increase stats further. All together it got me from base 9999 with 100,000 in stats to 1-4 million in stats, and the 20+ movement makes further item world stuff a breeze.

I unlocked the Baal fight and I have a rank 0 Trapezohedron so I'm well on my way.