As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] This thread has suffered a catastrophic translight jump failure.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Oh yeah and it has to be IS.

Freebirth

FREEDOM!

Arent like a fifth of the inner sphere governments liberal democracies?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Freebirth

FREEDOM!

lol. Lets see here. Police state, Oligarchy, military dictatorship, Neo-Feodalist laisse faire and a federal state (prone to military rule) of a mix of democracies and less democratic states.
    So basicly the most democratic state is about equivalent to the Holy Roman empire.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Freebirth

FREEDOM!

lol. Lets see here. Police state, Oligarchy, military dictatorship, Neo-Feodalist laisse faire and a federal state (prone to military rule) of a mix of democracies and less democratic states.
    So basicly the most democratic state is about equivalent to the Holy Roman empire.

Hey Clan Wolf is uhhh pretty nice to their merchant caste

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Also if youre often dying too soon 95% of the time you would benefit from just hanging back more.

Very few builds need to be the first in.

I'm actually usually very late to the party because somehow I always go the wrong way at the start. Spend the first few minutes trying to figure out how to get where everyone is lol.

edited October 2018
    RickRude wrote: »
    Also if youre often dying too soon 95% of the time you would benefit from just hanging back more.

Very few builds need to be the first in.

I'm actually usually very late to the party because somehow I always go the wrong way at the start. Spend the first few minutes trying to figure out how to get where everyone is lol.

Lol well,,,,

Youll get there if you keep with it. You mentioned playing mobas? Its like that.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Put 2 lbx10 in my whacker and couple Mlas.

This is my jam.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I wish there was an option to regroup with the same quick play group. Like a vote to play again.
    Sometimes you luck into an amazing group and it sucks to leave it.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I wish there was an option to regroup with the same quick play group. Like a vote to play again.
    Sometimes you luck into an amazing group and it sucks to leave it.

This group I keep trying to get you to come play with is pretty amazing. They actually work together as a unit and are pretty experienced.
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Put 2 lbx10 in my whacker and couple Mlas.

This is my jam.

This is a great setup. I'm running 2 lbx10 and 4 MLs on my Warhammer and it just tears through everything except for assaults, and can even go toe to toe with some assaults (as long as you manuever properly).

Also I put everything on the inner torso so even if they blow off both my arms I'll still have a full compliment of weaponry available. I basically use my arms (and the stumps after they get blown off) as shields. Remember, if they shoot those stumps it transfers the damage to the nearest component (which would be inner torso) but at a greatly reduced rate of damage (i think it's like 1/6th normal damage). This is a great way to diminish and in some cases nullify incoming damage. It's also a good thing to remember while attacking.

Another tip I've picked up while playing with these guys, if you sneak up behind an enemy mech and they don't know you're there yet, shoot them in the legs. It's harder to tell which direction the shots are coming from.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Ah yes, the Classic Anklebiter move.

*sips a cup of tea*

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    The srm artic wolf is disgusting.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Doin work in the aforementioned Warhammer:
    dPaDUrL.jpg

Edit: I am on friggin fire tonight. I just had about 4 games all with similar stats to above.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Do RACs and MRMs work well together? They're somewhat close range bands and both require a fair bit of face time, right?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Do RACs and MRMs work well together? They're somewhat close range bands and both require a fair bit of face time, right?

MRMs launch pretty dang quick, so there's not a whole lot of face-time. What's worse, the added heat burst would take away from RACing.

On the other hand, having a quick burst of up to 60 damage bukkake'd over your target might be a good thing.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Not at all. Both RACs and MRMs are fairly hot weapons (RAC5s are incredibly hot) and MRMs have very long cooldowns. MRMs are comparable with large lasers in terms of heat and face time.
    RACs work best on their own, or with either cold weapons like LBXs/MGs or a compact backup array of MLs.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Hello Stompy Botters

Fiendishrabbits breakdown of the trial mechs got me to finally create an account.
    Unfortunately I did it while not being able to sleep at 1.30AM and just felt like sleeping when I got home the next day, so ended up wasting the free primium day.

I think the Timberwolf is my favourite mech as far as looks go, but as I understand it Heavies are the meat and potatoes of the group and I might not be credit to team if I start by jumping in the trial version and queing up.

Can I jump in the Raven and try to scout for my team?
    And what would the best way to do that actually be. Max speed, find enemy, try not to die and target-lock it so my friends can see it?
    Is that in any way as simple as I just listed it as?

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    edited October 2018
    Nought wrote: »
    Hello Stompy Botters

Fiendishrabbits breakdown of the trial mechs got me to finally create an account.
    Unfortunately I did it while not being able to sleep at 1.30AM and just felt like sleeping when I got home the next day, so ended up wasting the free primium day.

I think the Timberwolf is my favourite mech as far as looks go, but as I understand it Heavies are the meat and potatoes of the group and I might not be credit to team if I start by jumping in the trial version and queing up.

And what would the best way to do that actually be. Max speed, find enemy, try not to die and target-lock it so my friends can see it?

The margin for error is razor thin if your intent is to start out scouting in a Light. Between the XL engine and your paper-thin armor, one wrong turn, and you've just deleted yourself from the game early on. Mediums and Heavies, though they're generally the workhorse of the team, allow for a little more leeway (since you're, generally, going to be slower and will be able to stick with the deathblob and you're going to have more armor to take a few hits) for missteps. I wouldn't worry too much about jumping into the trial version and queuing up in a Timber Wolf...Clan tech gives you the greatest leeway of the bunch. Just stick with the bulk of your team, press "R" to target the baddies, and try not to shoot the blueberries and you'll be okay.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Scouting with lights only is decent of you have tons of speed to get away once the enemy spots you, and they will spot you. In the old days a scouting Raven was nice with TAG and NARC, but you can also do that with a Commando now. You will need ECM which will help stealth your way into the enemy ranks, but it also can give you away if the enemy pilots pay attention.

Aka, scouting lights are a lost art since the game doesn't really reward you for doing it.

If you like the Timber Wolf then I say go for it. As long as you stay with the group and fire in the same direction as the group you will be doing just fine. If you are in front (and as a new pilot I advise not to do this) your job is to fire on the first enemy you see, then duck back behind cover. Unless you sense that the team is pushing or there is a call to push forward.

If you are following, do not stay right on your teammate's butt. That only will get them killed, and you won't be able to fire yourself.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Hello Stompy Botters

and try not to shoot the blueberries and you'll be okay.

Wait, is friendly fire a thing?

Hello Stompy Botters

1. You can be in a heavy even if you're a newbie. The only weight class I'd recommend to stay away from is assaults, since they're the core part of your teams firepower but their size, slowness and lumbering nature means that they require someone experienced behind the controls.
    2. The raven is an excellent scout and it's a great mech to jump into to learn the maps and flow of battle.
    3. How to handle your raven is really situation dependent.

How to Pilot your Raven
    The Raven 3L is the mech of choice for scouting since it has several features that benefit scouting duty (ECM, good speed and quirks for increased sensor range, built in improved target decay).
    There are two ways to build the Raven 3L. A mid-range range build with SRMs and medium lasers and the Large Laser version. In the trial raven you have the big lasers.

That means that you have three things you can do (switch between them as the flow of battle dictates).
    1. Run around the battlefield and give your team a better idea of enemy tactics. All light mechs can do this, but you're pretty good at it since you're fast and have ECM.
    BEWARE: You're not THE fastest and your armament isn't suited to duelling other light mechs, so if challenged by light mechs...then get out and lose them. Easiest way of losing the enemy is to get back to your own guys as fast as possible, but sometimes you can dodge them in some other way.
    2. Sniper annoyance. This is done to inflict damage, to break their attention, to increase frustration of the enmy team and to split their focus. Ie, to leave them vulnerable to the inevitable push. You're job here is to stay alive and poke poke poke from different positions. The LL raven, which you'll be driving, is super good at this. You have ECM and a really long range weapon, so it's fairly easy to keep the initative as long as you don't appear in a very predicable pattern.
    BEWARE: a. Since lasers are really obvious you can only get off one or two shots from a position before they locate where you're firing from and start to shoot back. You're not good at taking damage. b. This is THE most surefire way of getting an angry pack of enemy lights on your tail and you're not great at fighting those.
    3. The silent scout. If you have LRM mechs on your side this can be a way to win the match. Find a hidden location where you can lock the enemy from behind (the more hidden the better). Stay hidden and allow your team to fire volley after volley of LRMs at the enemy. Most teams get really frustrated by this, and they'll either get hurt or they'll do something stupid.
    BEWARE: Don't get too complacent. You'll need to focus on the enemy, but don't focus so hard that an enemy light can sneak up on you and eat you alive.

There is also a 4th role that lights with other armaments can fulfill, "The anklebiter", the mech that uses its speed to get close in (or simply attack from an unexpected direction and do a mid-range strafing run), throw the enemies into chaos and chew through back armor (and legs). Mechs like this should have MGs, small/medium lasers and pulse lasers, SRMs and other compact but high damage weapons.
    This isn't the ravens forte. It's a bit too big and lumbering to be really good at this kind of work. Ideal mechs for this are Locusts, Fleas, Commandos and Pirahnas. All three of those mechs are also good at Role 1 since they can challenge enemy scout mechs for battlefield dominance.

• NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Thanks for the help.

Is there any way to get MC other than buying it?

I was thinking about the $30 or $50 if I find I like the game, with the 30% bonus.

But looking at the mech prices, MC doesn't seem to a long way.
    Maybe I'm just spoiled from Warframe.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for the help.

I was thinking about the $30 or $50 if I find I like the game, with the 30% bonus.

You can get small amounts of MC through special events (upwards of 1000MC or so). Also, if you watch certain Twitch streamers, they'll do MC giveaways (this is something The_B33f does fairly regularly). Otherwise, yeah...you're stuck buying it.

EDIT -

and @RickRude
    Hello Stompy Botters

Ohhhhh yeah...you better believe it's a thing.

Erlkönig on
    Thanks for the help.

PGI, the people making MWO, have notoriously bad value for the money you spend. You get frighteningly little for massive amounts of MC.
    However, you WILL get fair amounts of MC through various events. Like every other event tends to give you small-ish amounts of MC (50-100 usually) for completing various challenges. You can see past/current/future challenges if you go to the MWO site, log in, check your profile and go to the events page. From that point you can check out what the events were and what the rewards were. They're notoriously bad at announcing future events though (at least I haven't found where they announce their future events schedule), so if it says "no future events" that only means that there are no future events in THIS event series. There could still be an event in 3 days that isn't related to this one.

Hello Stompy Botters

This used to be a running joke for Oosiks (PA) where we would always have FF. One person in particular (Padre) was notorious for firing a few rounds if MG into a teammate at the start.

But yes, you can actually kill a teammate if you are not careful (either firing or moving into a teammate firing line).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Best things to spend MC on IMHO

1. Practically. Mech bays so that you can have more mechs. Bays cost 300 MC normally, but there Mechbay sales several times per year (where they cost 150MC).
    2. Fashion. While you will get a lot of cool decals through supply caches you have to pay MC to get patters and most of the various colours (only basic colours can be bought for C-bills). I like to get creative with my mechs, so I spend my excess MC on patterns and a new colour every now and then.

Or you can save up a bunch and get some light Hero mechs on sale.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Are there any good hero mechs? Obviously Pirate's Bane, but are there others?

K9

edited October 2018
    Wolfhound Grinner and Arctic Cheetah Hero are both solid as well. The K9 is just pure fun.

Edit: I'm assuming you are asking about the hero lights.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Yeah, always wait for sales for Mech Bays and Mechs for MC. They've been running sales on Mech Bays more frequently this year and their Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales are usually pretty good. The events going on right now can give you some really good rewards in loot bags (cockpit items, consumables, c-bills, MC, premium time, GXP).

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Hero Quickdraw is very good. IV4

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    6xSSRM6 Sun Spider is getting 700 damage a match without blinking and like one kill because of the spread. But god damn is it funny when a light gets cute.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    6xSSRM6 Sun Spider is getting 700 damage a match without blinking and like one kill because of the spread. But god damn is it funny when a light gets cute.

Back in my day we did that with a Jenner-IIC and then promptly exploded from the heat. But I tell ya 'hwat we showed them other lights (and mediums, and heavies, and occasionally an assault) what fer!

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    Trying to make an ATM Summoner happen but man I can never get this weapon to work for me.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Warhammer 6D is fun. It's like applying a series of rainbows to somebody's face. Painful, painful rainbows.

Too bad in Tier 4 everybody wants to run on the arctic maps, even people without LRMs :\

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Warhammer 6D is fun. It's like applying a series of rainbows to somebody's face. Painful, painful rainbows.

Too bad in Tier 4 everybody wants to run on the arctic maps, even people without LRMs :\

That doesn’t change regardless of tier. Cold maps let people alpha more. On the plus side, if you always vote against cold maps you can easily stack multipliers.

Also HPG Manifold, the best map in the game, is a cold map, so sometimes it works out.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    Memes aside, 3xRAC2 Shadowhawk is pretty legit.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »

That doesn’t change regardless of tier. Cold maps let people alpha more. On the plus side, if you always vote against cold maps you can easily stack multipliers.

Also HPG Manifold, the best map in the game, is a cold map, so sometimes it works out.

It's more that the majority of the battlefield on the arctic maps are plains with small hills and a couple of buildings, so LOSing to break LRM locks can be difficult.

I mean, I don't mind the cold maps at all for the heat reasons, anything that'd let me alpha more in the 6D makes me happy, its just the explosive rain that makes things annoying.

Thanks for the help.

You can get small amounts of MC through special events (upwards of 1000MC or so). Also, if you watch certain Twitch streamers, they'll do MC giveaways (this is something The_B33f does fairly regularly). Otherwise, yeah...you're stuck buying it.

EDIT -

and @RickRude
    Hello Stompy Botters

Ohhhhh yeah...you better believe it's a thing.

Wow, I don't think I saw one mention of that during the tutorials.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    To be fair, if you look at the results screen (such as the one in Handsome Costanza's post below) under the central "match performance" frame or "C-bills earned" on the left, both list penalties for "team damage". But yeah, it'd be good to have some mention of it in the tutorials.
    Doin work in the aforementioned Warhammer:
    dPaDUrL.jpg

Edit: I am on friggin fire tonight. I just had about 4 games all with similar stats to above.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    2nd game with the new, no overheat ever 2xAC2/4xAC5 ANH-2A build:
    y9mohsuh7ewk.jpg

The next game, I did 719 dmg in a 12-3 loss and the next highest damage on my team was 255.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.