As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] This thread has suffered a catastrophic translight jump failure.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    PS I hate HPG and I hate that its constantly picked alongside the snow maps. I get that it's because they are cold, but the other maps are just so much more interesting, especially Caustic Valley and the city maps.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    I can't really argue with you on that. HPG is objectively a great map, but I hate playing on it for usually half the games in a given day. Polar Lurmlands is usually a dumpster fire. Frozen City New sucks compared to Old Frozen City.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I like HPG for its clean lines.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So I JUST realized that there was a second tab on the "loot bag" page. >_> Was wondering why they said I had 60+ bags and only saw 30ish.

So PSA, check your second "page" for more loot bags. HAHAHAHAHA

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Don't even know what I'm going to do with the free Hellspawn. MRM boat maybe?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I like HPG for its clean lines.

I hate it for its dodgy hitbox geometry, and love/hate it for that one spot on the wall an ERLL Spider can sit and snipe with near impunity.

I like it otherwise.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options

I wished I played the game enough to get the free mech. At this rate I doubt I will.

Mainly trying to get enough money to cover my recent bills.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    I didnt realize there was a thing going on for lewt. =\

Guess I got time tomorrow for some games...

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Free hellspawn?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Free hellspawn?

Either a Hellspawn-8P or an Arctic Wolf-A for getting 200 loot grab bags.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Ah. Haven't done that many runs. I don't want to either.
    But maybe something like this? Poptart from hell

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Got to finally play the game.

First game. River City at night.
    I follow lance Mad Dog and pretend be his bodyguard while he sends LRMs downrange. After a few minutes I feel I should be more active. "I'll try spotting for my new friend" I think and move forward a bit. I go up the ramp to the area bihind the docks and see some red pips just over the parapet.

I back up a bit, go to the edge and see two enemy mechs, targets one and shoots some lasers into the water next to him. He gets killed by someone else and I get an assist.

I jump down to give the other guy what for, turn 90 degrees and sorta look into a full enemy lance.
    It's at this point I stay cool and turn left, turn right, walk forward, that's not where my legs should be pointing, decide I should propable just get into cover, turn to where my LRM buddy was and start going in that direction, remember I now have my increasingly yellow and red back to an enemy lance, try to turn. And then the match kinda ends for me.

I stay and spectate. We lose 2/12. So in my first game I assisted in killing half the mechs my side killed.

In game nine I'm on the US servers. I see and Oosik on the other side (Thonhorn? Not right but close) and decide this freebirth scum is my target. Would be fun if I kill him, and also my first kill.
    As it transpires I get taken down as the second mech in the match, by the afore mentioned boner bone member.

I'm at 16 matches now and think I would like to get in a mech where I get xp.

Is it worth going for one of the mechs on sale over one not on sale but with armaments closer to what I want?

There is a Hellbringer on sale. Can't remember the variant.
    Is it worth buying? I'm not a fan of it's default weapons as I don't like the grab-bag approch to equipping mechs, but I still haven't seen the mechlab, and don't know how hard or easy it is to change the loadout.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Nought wrote: »
    Got to finally play the game.

First game. River City at night.
    I follow lance Mad Dog and pretend be his bodyguard while he sends LRMs downrange. After a few minutes I feel I should be more active. "I'll try spotting for my new friend" I think and move forward a bit. I go up the ramp to the area bihind the docks and see some red pips just over the parapet.

I back up a bit, go to the edge and see two enemy mechs, targets one and shoots some lasers into the water next to him. He gets killed by someone else and I get an assist.

I jump down to give the other guy what for, turn 90 degrees and sorta look into a full enemy lance.
    It's at this point I stay cool and turn left, turn right, walk forward, that's not where my legs should be pointing, decide I should propable just get into cover, turn to where my LRM buddy was and start going in that direction, remember I now have my increasingly yellow and red back to an enemy lance, try to turn. And then the match kinda ends for me.

I stay and spectate. We lose 2/12. So in my first game I assisted in killing half the mechs my side killed.

In game nine I'm on the US servers. I see and Oosik on the other side (Thonhorn? Not right but close) and decide this freebirth scum is my target. Would be fun if I kill him, and also my first kill.
    As it transpires I get taken down as the second mech in the match, by the afore mentioned boner bone member.

I'm at 16 matches now and think I would like to get in a mech where I get xp.

Is it worth going for one of the mechs on sale over one not on sale but with armaments closer to what I want?

There is a Hellbringer on sale. Can't remember the variant.
    Is it worth buying? I'm not a fan of it's default weapons as I don't like the grab-bag approch to equipping mechs, but I still haven't seen the mechlab, and don't know how hard or easy it is to change the loadout.

So here's a fun thing with Clan Omnimechs:

In about 90% of the choices, it doesn't matter which variant you pick up. The omnimechs let you change arms, side torsos, heads, and legs to fit those parts from the other variants. An example with the Hellbringer:

HBR-Prime center torso
    HBR-Prime left torso (for that sweet ECM action and 3 energy hardpoints)
    HBR-A right torso (for a large-bore AC shoulder cannon)
    HBR-Prime right arm (for an energy weapon hardpoint)
    HBR-P left arm (for 2 energy weapon hardpoints)

EDIT - the only limiting factor is that you cannot change the center torso.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I concur with @Erlkönig on buying the Omni mechs. You can tell an Omni mech by the "locked" equipment or the ability to buy omnipods.

Everyone here loves the Hellbringer for multiple builds. Plus having ECM makes you almost invisible (especially at your level). So you might enjoy playing one.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The Hellbringer prime is on sale. And that's sorta good (ECM, clan, lots of laser slots), but it has no endosteel so it's really hard to optimize the mech.

The linebacker C on the other hand is definitely a mech I'd want to try out.. Personally I'd probably want to try out this build but the mech itself lends itself more to a "drive-by" style of warfare. But swap out the arms for the D variant and then cram 4 pulses and 4 SRM4s in there and you have a really nice mech for that.

• Options
    Heavy Mediums aren't great on a speedy mech like the LBK, in my experience. Then again, my Redline is unimaginative and I just run 6 MPLs on it. Also, Handsome Constanza is a filthy lurmer. :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chasm wrote: »
    Heavy Mediums aren't great on a speedy mech like the LBK, in my experience. Then again, my Redline is unimaginative and I just run 6 MPLs on it. Also, Handsome Constanza is a filthy lurmer. :P

Yeah, probably better to drop them and some heatsinks for medium pulses. Almost the same damage potential, but easier to bring to bear. The main idea though is to find someone exposed, then just maul them with HMGs and lasers while the flamers make it impossible to fight back effectively.

• Options
    Speaking off flamers. This is the best MWO trollvideo.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bedkI0vdXuY

• Options
    My Nova still has this build hoping that magical moment to work.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    It's not viable anymore thanks to the SPL nerf in a patch from shortly after that video came out. According to B33f, anyway. I think he said you'd have to swap to ERMLs and you can only run 4 flamers without massive ghost heat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    So I didn't know about the loot bags, looked up how to redeem them and uh, let's just say I had already capped my skills on the WHM-6D so I had a few to open. I now have a nice nest egg towards whatever assault catches my fancy, a ton of consumables, a good chunk of MC for when mech bays go on sale, a bunch of cosmetics, and over a week of premium time.

As far as gameplay goes, I'm in a positive K/D ratio (90/81) but still higher losses than wins (61/69). Main issue here I think is that I tend to tunnel vision which leads to shutdowns or having my team fall back and then I'm left high and dry, or I try to flank hard and end up all by my lonesome against the assault lance.

Pondering selling the Hellbringer, it's not like I'm planning on using it.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »

I'd recommend against selling any mech, tbh. Especially an omni.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I'd recommend against selling any mech, tbh. Especially an omni.

Ack, I mistyped, the Hellspawn. I don't have any Omnis.

• Options
    Gotcha. Yeah, the Hellspawn does nothing for me. I'm gonna grab the Arctic Wolf strictly for dropping in groups.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's not viable anymore thanks to the SPL nerf in a patch from shortly after that video came out. According to B33f, anyway. I think he said you'd have to swap to ERMLs and you can only run 4 flamers without massive ghost heat.

I'm curious: what was the SPL nerf? I seem to remember seeing the damage was reduced, but I wasn't sure to what extent. These days, cERSL is dealing 5 damage and cSPL is dealing 4 (with a cycle time just a shade under 2s).

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    I've been dipping the tips of my toes back into MWO, apparently I've got a 2xUAC5 2xLL Orion kicking around. Seems stompy

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I hit the limit on loot bags sometime yesterday. Got about 6 days of premium time and about 1900 MC out of it, plus the Artic Wolf (which is a fun chasis... but its a clan mech so I'm probably going to sell it for cash). Pretty fun overall, can't wait for the next event!

Also I'm sitting on 35 million cbills right now.. still have no Idea what to spend it on. I bought a hunchback just because I liked it in Battletech and think it looks cool, despite the fact that its useless to me after considering the loadouts of the rest of me mechs

Edit: also remember guys there are challenges assigned to the phases seperate from the lootbag thing.

So I didn't know about the loot bags, looked up how to redeem them and uh, let's just say I had already capped my skills on the WHM-6D so I had a few to open. I now have a nice nest egg towards whatever assault catches my fancy, a ton of consumables, a good chunk of MC for when mech bays go on sale, a bunch of cosmetics, and over a week of premium time.

As far as gameplay goes, I'm in a positive K/D ratio (90/81) but still higher losses than wins (61/69). Main issue here I think is that I tend to tunnel vision which leads to shutdowns or having my team fall back and then I'm left high and dry, or I try to flank hard and end up all by my lonesome against the assault lance.

Oh god.. not me. My KD is awwwful. I think it was like .60 last I checked. That was a while ago and I've gotten much better since then, but I'm pretty sure it still sucks. It took a lot of dying to get me to figure out this game on a basic level.. hell im still trying to figure it out.

Edit: apparently I'm sitting on 299 kills 400 deaths right now. Yeesh. I'm 98/73 in my Warhammer though which I purchased recently so I guess thats a bit of a bright side.

Edit: I wish they showed something that tallied KMDDs to desths, since thats a more important stat than killing blows which you can get just by finishing someone off with a single shot.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I hit the limit on loot bags sometime yesterday. Got about 6 days of premium time and about 1900 MC out of it, plus the Artic Wolf (which is a fun chasis... but its a clan mech so I'm probably going to sell it for cash). Pretty fun overall, can't wait for the next event!

Also I'm sitting on 35 million cbills right now.. still have no Idea what to spend it on. I bought a hunchback just because I liked it in Battletech and think it looks cool, despite the fact that its useless to me after considering the loadouts of the rest of me mechs

Edit: also remember guys there are challenges assigned to the phases seperate from the lootbag thing.

The hunchback is the best chassis in the entire game, hands down, bar none. You made a wise decision. Let me know if you want some build tips.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »

The Dragon is the best chassis in the entire game, hands down, bar none.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

That's a funny way to spell "Marauder"...

• Options
    Oh, before I forget, last match of the night was skirmish on River City.

Part of the map involved the entirety of the assault lance getting bottled into that tunnel in the eastern edge of the zone.

I break out to the rear in my 6D and look to flank, but find out the enemy had the same idea and the brawl took both teams down to 2 mechs each: my 6D and a light, and two unknowns on th other side. I turn a corner and come face to face with Cataphract that I core with one salvo.

The light and I mill around for a bit and then we spot the last enemy mech coming around a corner.

An Annihilator. Not pristine but not in a shape I can survive a slugging match with either.

My armor’s tissue paper at this point and the light is just being an angry hornet. The Annie tears off one of my legs so I start trying to lead it around a nearby building like I’m in some kind of horror movie (turns out, even without a leg I’m still faster).

Then the damn thing blows up on its own.

I guess he had override turned on and forgot to turn it off?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    H
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

That's a funny way to spell "Centurion"...

• Options
    edited October 2018

The hunchback is the best chassis in the entire game, hands down, bar none. You made a wise decision. Let me know if you want some build tips.

Yes.. Yes I would. I bought the 4j though.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, in doing a bunch of solo drops over the past couple of days, I’ve discovered:

1) I started too late to hit the 200 loot bags for the free stuff, given my schedule this week. Still - free stuff!

2) LFEs are a great way to burn through your ~60M CBill reserve.

3) RACs are the Truth and the Light.

4) Running an LRM+A 25 with 2 MLAS backup on CN-9 A is a great way to easily get, like, 500 damage done, 1-3 kills, and 8-10 assists basically at-will.

5) Like srsly, have you seen these RACs? I put 2 RAC2s on a BJ-1 (with no backup weapons) and a RAC5 / MRM 20 combo on a CN9-A (NCIX) and it was filthy how much damage they do. So much fun!!!! Like a shitty match in them is 300 damage.

• Options
    Silly question but is there a place for a fast light running a NARC in quick play? Seems all the LRM boat would love you.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Well, trying to grind out the loot bags for the free mech. 69 bags left. I figure if I'm lucky, given my skill level that might take me 50 matches? I need scores of 100 or 150 now to get a bag, and I'd say roughly 1/3rd of the time I just walk into the enemy firing line and get merced.

So we'll see how the next 3 days go.

Although I dug out an old Catapult that I've been having a really fun time with. And my Mauler feels like I never took a break in the first place. I keep trying to rehabilitate a Wolverine I slapped a RAC/5 in, but it's just not happening.

Just when I think I'm out, this game pulls me back in.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Silly question but is there a place for a fast light running a NARC in quick play? Seems all the LRM boat would love you.

Yes, but make sure you have a mic to tell people that you've actually narced something. Otherwise no one seems to pay attention to the tiny tag/narc icons. I think I tried to make it work for a while while being socially lazy, and it's just frustrating. Now the only thing I have targets on are for my own missileboats.

I really wish scouting got more points than it does. :c

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    McGibs wrote: »

Yes, but make sure you have a mic to tell people that you've actually narced something. Otherwise no one seems to pay attention to the tiny tag/narc icons. I think I tried to make it work for a while while being socially lazy, and it's just frustrating. Now the only thing I have targets on are for my own missileboats.

That or type it in the team chat. But yeah, scouting does squat for points/money than it should.

So I managed to snag at 101 bags as of last night. Not sure if I want to grind the rest since it would take me... oh... what... 50 matches? Even with my Jenner IIc I am not sure if I can manage that.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Yeah I figured I’d be calling out stuff like “NARC on Hotel”

• Options

Yeah I figured I’d be calling out stuff like “NARC on Hotel”

Might also want to let them know "which" mech is Hotel. Since there are a small percentage that has no idea that targets are given letter designations.

oosik_betsuni.png