As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFRK] One does not simply gacha into Mordor. (LOTR starts 3/8).

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Finally cracked Quetz, thanks Galuf Chain. Now to farm uh, *checks notes*, probably a bunch of them yay.

I believe this week is a XV extravaganza. Torment, 1 relic banner, event + fishing event on Sunday.

Let me tell you how not-excited I was when I saw that Quetz has the likely very coveted fast action magicite passive

Fast Action is IMO overrated. You want either 0 or 1 of it per team, as opposed to Blade Ward, Spell Ward, and HP Boon which you want 2 of per team.

• MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    First kill of Famfrit at 30.20 seconds!

Used that Edge strat with Edgar and Lightning as DPS instead of Prompto or Sora as I already had these dived. The main trick was to use LS on Edgar's first turn instead of Spark Offering so that I could use his USB after 3 turns.

Thanks for the pointers @Fry !

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Remember when Fas Act was entirely dismissed when it first came out with 3-star Wing Raptor?

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Enlong wrote: »
    Remember when Fas Act was entirely dismissed when it first came out with 3-star Wing Raptor?

I never did the math, but I'd imagine it could have both been trash at the 3* level, and good at the 5*, since it's percentage-based. The returns on preformance don't seem totally linear.

Javen on
    @silence1186 suggested updates to OP/2OP:

New player tips:

Relic Draws:
    - Generally, you only want to draw in ways that guarantee at least one 5* item or better - that is, don't do single or triple draws
    - ...except for the special Realms on Parade banners that typically precede the every-three-months festivals, which are 5 mythril for 3 items, of which one is guaranteed to be 5* or better.
    - Other "discounted" draws (cheaper than 50 mythril but still guarantees 5* or better) are usually a good value. An example would be the "Series Draw" banners that cost 15 mythril for the first 11x draw, with one guaranteed 5* or better. You'll probably want to do each of those discounted draws before doing anything that costs full price.
    - the Acolyte Archives relic draws you get for completing Book of Trialses are free, so work towards getting those when you can
    - (remove mention of awful Newcomer banners and awful Crystal Tower banners)

Team-Building:
    - Finishing Book of Trials 2 is guaranteed to give you Tyro's Sentinel Grimoire ("SG" or "Wall" as we call it). Learn to love this thing, as it's pretty much required in most harder content.
    - The game design also expects your entire party to be hasted at all times. Unless you're fighting "trash" enemies, you will want to deploy party haste as someone's first action, either via 5* Hastega (R1 is probably plenty), a Soul Break, or a Roaming Warrior.
    - The most straightforward team to assemble as you're starting out is probably Tyro (SG), a character with a healing BSB, a character with a SB that applies party Medium or Large Attack increase, and two characters that can wield Lifesiphon (4* Combat) and physical damage BSBs or OSBs. Your Roaming Warrior for realm dungeons should be something that provides party Haste.
    - For event content, Tyro's Divine Veil Grimoire is the go-to Roaming Warrior. Accept no substitutes. (link to RW finder) In those cases, you can sub out Tyro for another DPS or dancer/support
    - (existing content about how important breaking enemy ATK and MAG is, and Protectga/Shellga)
    - Your first 5* ability should probably be either Full Break or Enfeebling Jitterbug (depending on whether you want to be using a Support or Dancer). Getting one of those to R2 is a huge help in surviving incoming damage
    - These are the sub-5* abilities you will want to hone up: Lifesiphon (potentially three or even four copies), Protectga, Shellga, Curaja, Power Breakdown, Magic Breakdown
    - brief mention of other abilities that can be useful: Banishing Strike/Dispel, things that are good at inflicting conditions (Slowga, machinist shells)
    - The most difficult content assumes you're going to have 5* or better abilities equipped. Until you get those crafted and honed up, you probably want to ignore any Ultra or Chain soul breaks you acquire
    - Once you have access to daily dungeons and have gotten Full Break/Enfeebling Jitterbug/Hastega sorted out, you can start thinking about 5* abilities for your characters with good Ultra or Chain SBs. Look through the ability sets that character has access to, and find abilities that deal 4 or more hits in an element matching their SB, then go farm the Major Orb daily dungeons you need to craft and hone that ability. For example, Ignis' "Sagefire" Ultra deals fire damage, grants him a fire aura, and does cool stuff when he uses fire attacks, so he'd really like to have a honed "Soul Burn" (5* Thief) or "Ruby Spark" (5* Sharpshooter) to go with it!

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Holy and dark are the only two chains I'm missing, so I guess I'm obligated to pull on I.

4/11 - Sarah LMR, Garland LMR, Garland OSB, Garland CSB

Wow, that's quite a pull! I'm a bit shocked. Taken aback. Floored, one might say.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Holy and dark are the only two chains I'm missing, so I guess I'm obligated to pull on I.

4/11 - Sarah LMR, Garland LMR, Garland OSB, Garland CSB

Wow, that's quite a pull! I'm a bit shocked. Taken aback. Floored, one might say.

Garland's dark chain is good, AND he can use heavy combat abilities, so he can actually put out decent damage

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Went digging around.

There's a grand total of one clear on reddit of Famfrit without a chain.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/9n0uex/5_magicite_famfrit_radiant_shield_sub60_clear_no/

I've actually got all of that except Prompto, so I guess we'll see how well I can adapt that.

Three clears of Geo, two of which have Relm USB, so those are out. The other one has a number of good stuff I don't, but may be adaptable. Hm.

Either way, yeah, chains are looking effectively required for these. Hoy.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    You can clear anything with radiant and enough healers and mapping out the actions but you will literally hate yourself later.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    With that in mind, do note that chains should be (subject to global change) in the following upcoming events/banners:

XV: Prompto Lightning chain
    X: Rikku Water chain
    XIV: Alphinaud Wind chain, banner 1
    VI: Strago Water chain, banner 2

Winter fest
    Banner 1: Ramza, Edward Holy chain
    Banner 2: Red XIII Earth chain
    Banner 4: Gilgamesh Fire chain
    Banner 5: Prompto Lightning chain

Or take a chance with realm draws, I guess.

Wild card is if we get anything for Black Friday; if they mirror the lucky draws used in Golden Week, I think they only had Shantotto lightning chain in the magic draw. The lucky bags had select a gen 1 chain but we don't get lucky bags so.....

(plus, that's a bit too pay to play for most, I reckon).

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I guess it depends on desperation but I think if you can you might want to wait for the double chain banners to roll back around. I know FFV will have it, and 4th has a 6 chain banner. The odds of getting a chain when its one on a banner aren't high enough for me.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    @Fry Thanks for that info, I'll try to mix it into the OPs when I have a free moment.

Also, took your advice wrt Edge SSB2/USB0, and followed: this strategy

Famfrit dead in 29.64 seconds! First 5* magicite sub-30s! Probably not consistent, since it requires rolling a boat load of dice for Edgar, who can double, triple, or quadruple cast, and all those hits have a further chance to imperil Lightning. If DPS is high enough, Mimic Queen's Water Blink survives until phase 2 and blocks Savage Tsunami, which allows Edge to save his SSB refresh until after Gravity, which lets me more or less coast to the end of the fight, strategy wise. All it cost me was making a R4 Flash Disaster, which isn't nothing, but I'll find uses for it going forward, I think.

It's still crazy that the strategy works.

• DaffyddDaffydd Registered User regular
    18.95 Siren. Decided to clean up my holy deck so getting a second Hades would be less tortuous. And maybe for FFT D$$$. And then I’ll want to clean up my Earth deck.

Seriously considering Tifa (or Cinque?) instead of Palom if we get a Black Friday USB selection. Core element is set for magic, except maybe Wind. Don’t have any Monk USBs, and I hear Tifa is tops, and I have her Glint. And I assume KB’s overstrike is useless against Geosgaeno.

BTW - current CW is one Evrae, not two. Surging Power is a % of 10k HP, not a % of max HP. Other buffs will apparently get you more damage boost on second iteration.

Tifa's USB2 is great, but good lord you need to have some serious hones to get proper use out of it.

I have Ironfist Earth R5 because it takes hones to the wood chipper.

And yes, without a chain, KB's overstrike doesn't break Geo even with max imperil. Maybe there's some other magicite boosting shenanigans I'm not aware of, but it's basically a non-starter, as far as I can tell.

TGCid AASB: 15 ST Holy/Dark/NE critical phy, Critical Chance +100%, Gathering Storm, Thunder God Awakening Mode, Break Damage Cap Level 1

Thunder God Awakening Mode: Unlimited Knight or Darkness Hones, Knight or Darkness Ability Boost, Dualcast Knight or Darkness

TGCid UOSB: 20+1 Holy/Dark melee

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    His USB was almost an Awakening, so of course his Awakening out does all the others.

Series Banners renewal

https://dff.sp.mbga.jp//dff/static/lang/image/gacha_series/lineup_image/series_687.png

The current Series Banners are going to expire on 12th November 15.00 JST. A new lineup of Series Banners will go up on 13th November 15.00 JST. The first pull on the new banners will cost 15 Mythrils, even for players who already pulled on the previous ones.

Wow, that Tactics event in JP looks pretty nuts. Seven 6* items per banner:

Banner 1:
    Orlandu Awakening
    Orlandu Arcane Overstrike
    Ramza Arcane Overstrike
    Agrias Arcane Overstrike
    Ovelia USB2 (instant heal, chases white magic with holy hits?)
    Ramza USB2
    Agrias USB2
    Orlandu Glint (self crit damage and instant cast?)
    Ramza Glint (self holy aura, party 30% HP shield)
    Ovelia Glint (self holy aura, party instant cast?)
    Orlandu LMR2 (sword damage up)
    Ovelia LMR2 (growing MND)
    Agrias LMR2 (start holy aura)
    Agrias LMR1 (doublecast knight)

Banner 2:
    Gaffgarion Arcane Overstrike
    Marche Arcane Overstrike
    Gaffgarion Brave USB
    Ramza Chain
    Delita USB2
    Marche USB
    Alma USB2
    Gaffgarion Glint (dark aura stacking and quickcast)
    Marche Glint (party heal 2000 HP and Esuna)
    Gaffgarion LMR2 (start dark aura)
    Ramza LMR2 (doublecast holy)
    Delita LMR2 (spellblade damage up with sword)
    Gaffgarion LMR1 (trance quickcast)
    Marche LMR (knight damage up with sword)

Ooh nice. So we have ~6 months to do these, then they get reset and the relic pools update with new additions like AASBs?

edited October 2018
    Haha. So I decided to pull on the FFVI discount banner. And maybe I should've expected the result, considering how much FFVI stuff I have. It was objectively amazing, but...

5/11, 2 discos:

Mog LMR
    Relm LMR (Dupe)
    Celes BSB2 (Dupe) (can't find the original) (did I already Rosetta it?)
    Relm USB (Dupe)
    Celes USB (Dupe)

Haha oops. I can't complain about improving the Davinci brush or Relm Hat, though.

I'm halfway tempted to Legend Dive Mog just so I can equip both of his chance-to-do-something-when-dancing LMs. Onion Knight outshines his BSB with his USB, but maybe I can pair him with Mog using Mog's USB.

Enlong on
    Ooh nice. So we have ~6 months to do these, then they get reset and the relic pools update with new additions like AASBs?

Looks like it. Given no SSBs, this seems like a pretty okay balance from no lucky draws. And perfectly fine for us to not get crystal tower draws anymore since we never had the "choose an SSB" ANYWAY.

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Haha. So I decided to pull on the FFVI discount banner. And maybe I should've expected the result, considering how much FFVI stuff I have. It was objectively amazing, but...

5/11, 2 discos:

Mog LMR
    Relm LMR (Dupe)
    Celes BSB2 (Dupe) (can't find the original) (did I already Rosetta it?)
    Relm USB (Dupe)
    Celes USB (Dupe)

Haha oops. I can't complain about improving the Davinci brush or Relm Hat, though.

I'm halfway tempted to Legend Dive Mog just so I can equip both of his chance-to-do-something-when-dancing LMs. Onion Knight outshines his BSB with his USB, but maybe I can pair him with Mog using Mog's USB.

My default team config for anything besides magicite or torment is OK pUSB/mUSB and Mog USB/BSB, which works pretty well. Everything stacks, I can easily fit ProShell/dances/breakdowns, and with Elarra practically all my turns are quickcast. I highly recommend running them together, except in Crystal Towers since you'll want to spread your buffers.

Jragghen wrote: »
    Went digging around.

There's a grand total of one clear on reddit of Famfrit without a chain.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/9n0uex/5_magicite_famfrit_radiant_shield_sub60_clear_no/

I've actually got all of that except Prompto, so I guess we'll see how well I can adapt that.

Three clears of Geo, two of which have Relm USB, so those are out. The other one has a number of good stuff I don't, but may be adaptable. Hm.

Either way, yeah, chains are looking effectively required for these. Hoy.

Clears on reddit without Quetzalcoatl are also rare. I suppose BK's physical damage just doesn't do it for breaking Geosgaeno's enrage, even with Garnet's chain.

Pulled on X. 3/11, one disco. Rikku's LMR1 (sorta useful), Yuna LMR (doublecast summon, so definitely useful), and Jecht OSB (I will never use this). At least they're not dupes!

edited October 2018
    Apparently, 5* physical dark magicite is Deathgaze. He casts party Doom 180, then lowers the doom timer. A lot. But sub-25 is doable without AASB. If you have essentially every other top holy relic, including Marche USB, Ramza CSB/USB2, Orlandeau USB/OSB, Pecil ASB/USB2, and WoL ASB.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/9sn3ma/dena_intern_so_i_heard_the_players_really_love/

Here's his AI. He's not nice. https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/9slgcl/5_dark_magicite_boss_info/

Daffydd on
    edited October 2018
    Seems like the big thread of Quetz clears on reddit is split 45% Elarra USB / 45% Aeris USB2 / 10% Relm USB. I have...none of those. Don't have Rosa USB or Aphmau USB, either. Anyone able to clear that fight without one of the top tier healers? The other thing many of those clears have is Onion Ninja for the combination super buff plus good entruster, and I don't have Onion stuff, either.

I feel like there ought to be a clear that does something wacky like Tyro for Divine Veil Grimoire + RW Priestess. Alternatively, maybe I can make something like Ignis BSB entrusting Penelo USB work out. Also have Edge SSB2 for defense, he might need to be in there somewhere just as a good source of Last Stand.

Damage options:
    Galuf Chain
    Ingus Chain + BSB1 + BSB2
    Tifa everything but Arcane
    Bartz earth BSB + OSB
    Machina LMR (start earth aura) + OSB
    Meliadoul USB (should sub in nicely for Guy BSB that's in a lot of clears)

Fry on
    edited October 2018
    If you can magic blink the imperils I think you can do it with whoever. I feel like you might need at least two blinkers or instant cast though.

Also if damage is an issue you can leave him in rage... you have radiant shield plus chain plus last stand.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

I'm gonna advocate Earth Guardian. Adding BarThunder is a nice way to lessen that Imperil spam a little bit.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I also went earth guardian for zappy bird. I had Elarra but no chain.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    What's do the cool kids say these days about how many Quetzacoatl's are probably good to farm up? I think I've got the rhythm down now and I figure I should just stock up now before I forget the patterns.

I should try the water Magicites but I'm not looking forward to non-chain fights again. Might as well farm the hell out of Quetz.

I don't know why you'd need more than 4. I guess if you are the kind of crustacean who wants fast act on everything go crazy.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

I guess if you want the absolute best water dampen, but you want one geared for physical teams and one geared for magical teams. Or maybe one with a couple Blade Wards and one with Spell Wards? I dunno, I'm just spitballing, since I don't actually know what the community strategy is.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Did some more realm pulls.

VII - Cloud LMR, Cloud AOSB, Sephiroth USB2
    Hot damn that's a good pull. I was just thinking how strapped I was for decent physical dark relics to go alongside Garland chain. And the Cloud stuff is a good supplement for my USB1/BSB2.

Type-0 - Queen BSB, Deuce USB
    I don't see why I'd ever use Deuce over Relm, but I guess an in-realm healer will come in handy eventually. I'm pretty desperate for physical lightning but I'm not sure if I'm desperate enough for Queen LMR/SSB/BSB to be useful.

XV - dupe Gladiolus LMR
    Farewell, sweet rubies. (I have three relics in this realm, game! Three!)

I think that's all of the realm draws I was positive I was doing. I will almost surely cave for II, III, X, and XIII soon enough, but I'm not so sure about IX, XI, XII, and XIV.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Deuce could be used as a secondary "healer" spending her time using Bard songs, perhaps.

Went ahead and did a bunch of legend dives.

Zack - I've got his CSB/BSB, so his LM2 is pretty good at speeding things up.
    Red XIII - Got his CSB as well, so even though his dive sucks ass I figure it's better to dive a character I'll use a lot over a good, but niche unit...
    Celes - ...except for my waifu, who deserves to be able to throw out both her USB and AOSB in one fight!

Darklyre wrote: »
    Went ahead and did a bunch of legend dives.

Zack - I've got his CSB/BSB, so his LM2 is pretty good at speeding things up.
    Red XIII - Got his CSB as well, so even though his dive sucks ass I figure it's better to dive a character I'll use a lot over a good, but niche unit...
    Celes - ...except for my waifu, who deserves to be able to throw out both her USB and AOSB in one fight!

Honestly, Celes's dive is a pretty good one these days. If she's throwing out 6-star Spellblades, she can carry a Damage Up RM and still gain meter for her first SB as fast as if she was using the Lifesiphon command she doesn't have access to. If you have some form of finisher, like an Overstrike, more the better.

What's do the cool kids say these days about how many Quetzacoatl's are probably good to farm up? I think I've got the rhythm down now and I figure I should just stock up now before I forget the patterns.

I should try the water Magicites but I'm not looking forward to non-chain fights again. Might as well farm the hell out of Quetz.

I will probably do two Quetzes: one with a second Dampen Water, and one with offensive passives (maybe 2x Empower Lightning?) for use as my active magicite in non-magicite situations. I prefer Quetz's Imperil kicker to Behemoth King's party Lightning boost. I don't value Fast Act very highly, I think you generally want 0-1 of it in most setups.

If you've got the fight on lock though, might as well do some multiple of 4 and shovel them all into your Vault, in case you do decide you want Fast Acts later.

I was ignoring it for awhile, but I might give the FF6 Torment 450 a try. The only thing I'm missing from at least one sub-30 video on youtube is Locke's AOSB

edited October 2018
    Pulled in I, II, III, and VI. Pulling in III and VI was silly, since I've got some good stuff already... but I am pleased as punch with what my 60 mythril bought. I may end up pulling in every realm.

I: Matoya's LMR, Garland's Glint. Well, one of those items is useful.
    II: Josef's BSB. En-ice and mixed boost? Yeah, I can find room for that, I suppose.
    III: Dupe Onion LMR.
    VI: Gogo LMR (wow useless!), Locke ASB, Terra BUSB OMGWTFBBQ!! The Goddess of Fire is complete! And Locke has ASB/USB/OSB/BSB1. Gave Locke his dive. Just wish I had an enfire option for him. I'd grab his enfire SSB from the Library if I thought I could get him enough SB meter for it. But I think he'll do JUST FINE imperiling for Bartz and knocking down Enrage. Wish I had Fire Chain, but that might be overkill.

Darnit, now I want Flame Assault. Gonna need more rubies.

Daffydd on
    Weekly Wednesday gyshals reminder.

This discussion has been closed.