As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] 2B for Xmas

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I really like how you can just go into create a character and make your own 2P.

I really am not a fan of Mina's new look, so I popped in and left the character untouched while giving her a costume that was more in line with what she wore in SC2.

Everybody wins!
    I did the exact same thing with the exact same char day 1 as well. My mina look is a conservative but neat look the kind of reminds me of her 3p in sc2 but less ridiculous

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Deans wrote: »
    Artorias definitely seems plausible. A more pie in the sky guest that would blow my mind is Excalibur from Warframe. Just a super mobile asshole, flipping and double jumping and sliding all over the place, throwing javelins, starting combos with counter-hit Radial Blind, Exalted Blade for Soul Charge. It won't happen but I can dream.

Wouldn't "all my attacks are now sword waves" be a bit much?

It can be balanced! Somehow! Maybe!

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Regarding DLC characters, I'd say that for now, it feels like they're trying to avoid the characters with similar movesets, so I'm putting Rock at the bottom of the list. Between Hwang and Yeong Sun, either one of them could make it in, but only one. Li Long probably won't because you have Maxi right there.

SamSho DLC would be pretty boss, though. I never considered that. Loooots of character options. Do they go waifu and put in Nakoruru or take the poster boy Haohmaru?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Regarding DLC characters, I'd say that for now, it feels like they're trying to avoid the characters with similar movesets, so I'm putting Rock at the bottom of the list. Between Hwang and Yeong Sun, either one of them could make it in, but only one. Li Long probably won't because you have Maxi right there.

SamSho DLC would be pretty boss, though. I never considered that. Loooots of character options. Do they go waifu and put in Nakoruru or take the poster boy Haohmaru?

Mitsurugi is already basically Haohmaru.

Earthquake is the only logical choice.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Taramoor wrote: »

Mitsurugi is already basically Haohmaru.

Earthquake is the only logical choice.

Add Ukyo, give him Setsuka's Iaito moveset, and say nothing about her the whole time.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Jonathan Strange.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Based on Libra of Soul I'm pretty sure that
    Cassandra, Hwang, Hilde and Yun-Seong

are almost definitely going to be DLC characters at some point, which is enough for two seasons of DLC assuming some extra guest characters. Could also see
    Amy as well, given how prominent she is in Raph's story mode and what looks like a new design for her.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Working on localizing the game from eng to ptbr, I had a lot of fun with the stories from all the modes.
    I don't think there are any other fighting games that would be so much fun to work on.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Libra of Soul is actually a ton of fun.

Really reminds me of SC1's little mission mode story thing in a lot of ways, with the map and such.

I'm enjoying swapping around everyones fighting style too. A very quick and easy way to test out a lot of characters.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Lodoss? 30th anniversary and Atlus is making a game.

Wow, Record of Lodoss War? That'd come out of left field. Why not make the Bastard!!! fighting game people have talked about for years, that's right up Namco's alley.

Joking aside, I'd love any Lodoss War characters in Soulcalibur--it's a better fitting than a cameo in Tekken, to say the least, but I'd be shocked if it was even being considered. I think we'd see more characters from Tekken to be honest.

Synthesis on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Hopefully it's anyone other than Parn, he is the bland, taupe painted wall of fantasy characters. And while I love Deedlit, I could see the current Team Soul giving her a risque/slutty makeover, just because, and that'd be a shame.

Personally I'd be down for either Slayn, Ghim, or Woodchuck as cameos.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Caved and pick up Soul Caliber and the season pass. When's 2B coming out?

Game's really fun! I don't know if I've ever enjoyed a SC game so much before. 4 was the last one I played, and that was back when I was still just a "button mashy don't know how fighting games work" guy. Groh is probably my favorite right now, and if you do want to be button mashy... Azwal... my god.

Also reversal edge is the coolest fuckin thing!

Having trouble with soul charges, though. Even if I make sure to hold away first, I feel like half the time I still just fire off a critical edge. Playing on PS4 and a regular controller, so I dunno if that makes a difference, but everything else feels fine on it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Game's really fun! I don't know if I've ever enjoyed a SC game so much before. 4 was the last one I played, and that was back when I was still just a "button mashy don't know how fighting games work" guy. Groh is probably my favorite right now, and if you do want to be button mashy... Azwal... my god.

Having trouble with soul charges, though. Even if I make sure to hold away first, I feel like half the time I still just fire off a critical edge. Playing on PS4 and a regular controller, so I dunno if that makes a difference, but everything else feels fine on it.

Honestly, the PS4 controller is pretty good. Are you using the dpad or analog stick? I can't really get oriented with stick, but the dpad works really well.

edited November 2018
    Hopefully it's anyone other than Parn, he is the bland, taupe painted wall of fantasy characters. And while I love Deedlit, I could see the current Team Soul giving her a risque/slutty makeover, just because, and that'd be a shame.

You neglected to mention Ashram or Pirotess has left me very skeptical.

Joking aside, yeah, Parn is sort of a archtype of the male warrior hero.

Synthesis on
    templewulf wrote: »

Honestly, the PS4 controller is pretty good. Are you using the dpad or analog stick? I can't really get oriented with stick, but the dpad works really well.

Yeah, I switched to the dpad pretty quick. I dunno what my problem is, if I try to push away + R2 at the same time, I get a critical edge the majority of the time. I have more success holding away first and then pressing R2, but I still get critical edge instead of soul charge a lot of the time.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.

Yeah, I switched to the dpad pretty quick. I dunno what my problem is, if I try to push away + R2 at the same time, I get a critical edge the majority of the time. I have more success holding away first and then pressing R2, but I still get critical edge instead of soul charge a lot of the time.

IIRC, PS4 triggers are analog. So if you're pressing them such that the dpad and trigger click at the same time, it could be that the trigger is activating first, because it gets detected before it hits the backstop.

I don't know what range sc6 detects as button activation, though, so I'm just speculating.

Anyway, vpros are using PS4 pads in all sorts of games, so I wouldn't worry too much about it for now

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Synthesis wrote: »

Wow, Record of Lodoss War? That'd come out of left field. Why not make the Bastard!!! fighting game people have talked about for years, that's right up Namco's alley.

Joking aside, I'd love any Lodoss War characters in Soulcalibur--it's a better fitting than a cameo in Tekken, to say the least, but I'd be shocked if it was even being considered. I think we'd see more characters from Tekken to be honest.

Wouldn’t Bastard! get mired in licensing hell for the character names?

edit: never pick Bon Jovina

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    Syngyne wrote: »

edit: never pick Bon Jovina

I dunno, I-No and Slayer seem fine.

Syngyne wrote: »

Probably not, if you used the localization that avoided the problem: Sean Ari, Kall-Su and Kai Harn, for example.

Plus, if you're just using characters, you can avoid a lot of the issues that the localities have (Arshes Nei, Gara, Abigail are all sufficiently different or generic to avoid any such issue). Actual places would be harder. But we're never getting a modern Bastard!! game anyway, so it hardly matters beyond some fun speculation. :lol:

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

You neglected to mention Ashram or Pirotess has left me very skeptical.

Joking aside, yeah, Parn is sort of a archtype of the male warrior hero.

Ashram and Pirotess could definitely work. I forsee the latter having some fun interactions with Ivy over who best deserves the honorific Mistress.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    No love for Orson the Berserker?

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    put Thanos in Soul Calibur

I play SC to avoid Touch of Death fighting games.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

I don't feel so good.... *RING OUT*

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    l_g wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

I don't feel so good.... *RING OUT*

If you didn't want to get ToD'd, you wouldn't have walked your back to the edge of the ring!

Or you got hit by Astaroth RE B from miles away. Either one.

I dunno how you robots string together combos in Street Fighter... it's so harrrrd. The window to do anything seems so tiny! Also, did Capcom gift people fight money or something, because I definitely haven't done enough of anything in SFV to have earned ~120K fight money. It was enough for a character so I decided on Falke, because I remember she looked pretty fun from some videos I watched of Max doing online matches with her. Then I remembered Max isn't a scrub like me... I can't do anything with her. Well, there's that spinny staff move into stabby staff move I guess. I'm good enough to clear Arcade mode now at least. On easy. Yay.

SCVI put me in a fighting game mood, which only serves to remind me how much I stink at em =/

Maybe I'll redownload Guilty Gear Xrd...

I dunno how you robots string together combos in Street Fighter... it's so harrrrd. The window to do anything seems so tiny! Also, did Capcom gift people fight money or something, because I definitely haven't done enough of anything in SFV to have earned ~120K fight money. It was enough for a character so I decided on Falke, because I remember she looked pretty fun from some videos I watched of Max doing online matches with her. Then I remembered Max isn't a scrub like me... I can't do anything with her. Well, there's that spinny staff move into stabby staff move I guess. I'm good enough to clear Arcade mode now at least. On easy. Yay.

SCVI put me in a fighting game mood, which only serves to remind me how much I stink at em =/

SF combos require a bit of rhythmic practice. If you've ever played music, you just have to drill it like that. Hell, using a metronome probably wouldn't hurt.

Some games require a little less rhythm (anything with magic series cancelling like Marvel or UNIST), but all of them have at least some advanced tech that requires you to time it correctly. So it's okay to just stick with the basics until you're comfortable, then add in more difficult stuff on top.

That said, I've been playing a ridiculous amount of SC6 with folks on the PA discord, and there's always room for one more.

Was also running into problems in the trial mode to try and learn some combos. Like the first little thing for Falke is something like light kick -> light punch-> psycho cudgel. Most of the time, connecting with the kick shoots her back for some reason and puts you out of range to connect the punch.

Just a little cycle I go through where I get the hankering to play Street Fighter, dick around for a bit and remember it's too technical for me, and I move one. Rinse and repeat :P

SF combos require a bit of rhythmic practice. If you've ever played music, you just have to drill it like that. Hell, using a metronome probably wouldn't hurt.

Some games require a little less rhythm (anything with magic series cancelling like Marvel or UNIST), but all of them have at least some advanced tech that requires you to time it correctly. So it's okay to just stick with the basics until you're comfortable, then add in more difficult stuff on top.

That said, I've been playing a ridiculous amount of SC6 with folks on the PA discord, and there's always room for one more.

You guys have a sc6 thing going? I kind of forgot to check around here and mostly stuck to the sc6 discord. The people there are kind of weird though.

I might have to join you guys assuming pc

edited November 2018
    Kai_San wrote: »

You guys have a sc6 thing going? I kind of forgot to check around here and mostly stuck to the sc6 discord. The people there are kind of weird though.

I might have to join you guys assuming pc

Heck yeah, PC. Feel free to add me on Steam or Discord.

templewulf on
    Do you mean the general PA discord? I joined up on there because for some reason I didn't have it. I will look around for anyone who is doing SC tonight unless something comes up.

edited November 2018
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Do you mean the general PA discord? I joined up on there because for some reason I didn't have it. I will look around for anyone who is doing SC tonight unless something comes up.

I mean the PA FGC discord; it's in the SE++ fighting thread, but it was buried somewhere on the first page: https://discordapp.com/invite/eY5gHd4

Either way, the link in my signature goes to my Discord profile, and I'm still up for fights for a little longer tonight

templewulf on
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Sf 5 is free to play right? Is it actually playable that way? I just realized I have a pc capable of running it now and have never tried it. I played a lot of 4.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I don't think it is free to play, seems to cost $20 to buy on steam. The free-to-play-like part is that you can grind out currency to buy new characters and such instead of buying the DLC, I think?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I don't think it is free to play, seems to cost $20 to buy on steam. The free-to-play-like part is that you can grind out currency to buy new characters and such instead of buying the DLC, I think?

Oh ok, I knee they did season passes but did something like KI to entice people. Don't think I'm willing to drop $20 on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQUTmNBIr78

Pretty perfect on the Negan reveal, though any one of those characters would actually fuck him up.

He does look like he'll be fun to play.

• T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I'm disappointed that didn't end with him clobbering Heihachi... and the damn baseball bat cracking in half over his head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoTams2yc0s

Yes! Fucking YES!

Oooh I hope it has Injustice 2's loot system.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoTams2yc0s

Yes! Fucking YES!

Oooh I hope it has Injustice 2's loot system.

That doesn't look great at all. Still overhyping the violence and kills I see. Let's see if they finally spent some of the massive budget on animation. I'm sure they didn't and it'll still look and move like ground-up ass.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page