As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Breathtaking [jobs]

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Got some new shoes for work but I had to go a size up because my feet are wide and while my feet don't feel constricted I do feel super awkward about the space at the tip of the shoe.

Yes, I’m always appreciative when shoe stores carry the wide foot styles, so I’m not trying to fit my triangle duck feet into the long narrow shoes meant for inferior foot shapes.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    oh fml the stock market

poo
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I'm starting to wonder if I sound angry or annoyed when I'm not? Because like I report on an issue that I've encountered to my manager and they thank me for reporting it and later on they apologize for me having to deal with it even though reporting issues is part of my job since we're kind of like the problem-spotting/solving part of the company?

@DarkPrimus this is super normal in NH experience and probably doesn't reflect anything about you

sig.gif
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Almost got to use part of a vacation day to take a half day today. Almost.

Kaplar on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    People are all "oh the flu vaccine last year was only a 30% chance to work, why bother?"

If this was a video game and you got a free buff for a 30% chance to resist disease you'd be all over that. Stop being lazy.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    People are all "of the flu vaccine last year was only a 30% chance to work, why bother?"

If this was a video game and you got a free buff for a 30% chance to resist disease you'd be all over that. Stop being lazy.

We should start calling vaccines buffs.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    shit i forgot to get my flu shot, i missed the week where they did it in the office
    i'll go today

poo
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got a long cat 6 cable and wired one of the two circulation computers at the desk so I didn't have to be on wireless. 900mbs down 650 up. I am now using it to stream Reading Rainbow episodes to the library tv.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I'm getting mine at my doctor's appointment next month. I had planned to go when my job hosted but I got sick that day.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    I think I'm coming down with another cold or something. My out-of-practice immune system plus living with a toddler means this is probably just my permanent state for the next 4 months.

Kids are like ultra germ carriers. My wife was always sick once our daughter started going to other kid areas. Also when she worked with kids for a while.

My nephew has a cold right now. When you're reading him a story he likes to sit beside you sucking his thumb and with his other hand he twiddles your hair. Only I have very short hair so he more just strokes me like a cat. Earlier today he was standing on the sofa beside me listening to a story and ended up basically stroking my face with his snotty, dribbly hand. I am resigned to illness being inevitable.

Last year (when he was just 1) my brother and SIL were ill permanently throughout the winter. I think this year will be my turn.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh no I ate cake

Mori if you're digesting cake right now I swear to God

Oh fuck, I'm so sorry

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Had a semi-nightmare that I was late to host a live webinar (something I have to do today) because I had foolishly booked a trip to Nepal and was stuck in the mountains trying to get to my computer

Apparently the dread was so strong that it spread to Wyborn, who ALSO had a dream that I missed the event because we overslept into the afternoon

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Girlfriend's in the final round for a new job that she very badly wants

They emailed her over the weekend to let her know that she was the first candidate they interviewed, they have two more to talk to this week and then they'll make a decision probably by the end of the week

it's like they're TRYING to create maximum stress

6F32U1X.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I think I'm coming down with another cold or something. My out-of-practice immune system plus living with a toddler means this is probably just my permanent state for the next 4 months.

Kids are like ultra germ carriers. My wife was always sick once our daughter started going to other kid areas. Also when she worked with kids for a while.

My nephew has a cold right now. When you're reading him a story he likes to sit beside you sucking his thumb and with his other hand he twiddles your hair. Only I have very short hair so he more just strokes me like a cat. Earlier today he was standing on the sofa beside me listening to a story and ended up basically stroking my face with his snotty, dribbly hand. I am resigned to illness being inevitable.

Last year (when he was just 1) my brother and SIL were ill permanently throughout the winter. I think this year will be my turn.

My nephews from my partner's brother (especially the younger of the two) love to basically just kind of climb all over you - I'll be sitting on the couch reading a book and the little guy will be laying across my shoulders coughing into my face as I watch his older brother build something out of his LEGO.

Every time I look after those little buggers I end up sick, gee I wonder why?

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I feel so apathetic at work today and it is screwing my stats. I have very little motivation and I don't know why.

It is incredibly frustrating.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    People are all "oh the flu vaccine last year was only a 30% chance to work, why bother?"

30% chance, pft why bother.
    Lottery though? YOU NEVER KNOW!

PSN: jfrofl
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular

My nephews from my partner's brother (especially the younger of the two) love to basically just kind of climb all over you - I'll be sitting on the couch reading a book and the little guy will be laying across my shoulders coughing into my face as I watch his older brother build something out of his LEGO.

Your immune system is not yet pumped up

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Can't win if you don't play!

Applies to both funny enough.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    It's still amazing they ever get the flu strain right. They have to decide about 9 months out which strain they think will be the big one, and you look at the patterns from previous years and it's just a cluster fuck. You'd think "oh just look at the southern hemisphere and pick whatever is the big/most prevalent one there!" but that isn't even close to how it plays out most of the time. Sometimes it's a minor strain from the south, sometimes it's one outta seemingly nowhere, sometimes it's the big one, but the big one that had been on the decline. Then sometimes you get a new strain jumping from pigs or birds and THAT's obviously a fun time. It's just a huge hairy problem, but getting the jab still beats the shit out of not doing it. If you are in the south, some grocery stores like Publix will both take your insurance, AND give you a 10$ gift card for getting your shot there! Literal free groceries!

Madican wrote: »

Can't win if you don't play!

Applies to both funny enough.

I play in the lottery pools at work. I don't play because I think we have a chance at winning, but if I'm the one person who didn't play and they won, I'd be the only one left having to train 50 new people and explain to them every day why everyone else quit and I'm still working.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    We're having a fire drill at work right now. There's only about 20% of my company currently present, because it's 9:30am and we're a 24 hour operation. Most people don't roll in at least until 10.

My group manager isn't even here yet, and he's got the sign in sheet we're supposed to fill out to prove we didn't die in this imaginary fire.

Good coordination everyone.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    We're having a fire drill at work right now. There's only about 20% of my company currently present, because it's 9:30am and we're a 24 hour operation. Most people don't roll in at least until 10.

My group manager isn't even here yet, and he's got the sign in sheet we're supposed to fill out to prove we didn't die in this imaginary fire.

Sounds like your emergency procedures need to be revisited.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

Yep. Fires don't wait for the manager to show up.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

I never appreciated how much liquid the human body could lose without you dying until I lived with a toddler. He's like a tap.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Instead of the Nintendo being used for lunch I still have Reading Rainbow playing. Instead of being clustered around the gaming, the students are standing in a group near the TV discussing high level astrophysics.

I am claiming a direct correlation between LeVar Burton and this discussion.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Instead of the Nintendo being used for lunch I still have Reading Rainbow playing. Instead of being clustered around the gaming, the students are standing in a group near the TV discussing high level astrophysics.

I am claiming a direct correlation between LeVar Burton and this discussion.

I mean, if they were playing Kerbal Space Program they could be talking about both at the same time.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Today a guy came to my building on campus dressed in a long black jacket with a bandolier of live shotgun shells around his shoulders. Both Mrs. Enc and I work in this building.

We were on lockdown as cops with tac vests and rifles stormed the entire fucking building.

Asshole eventually was arrested and claimed he was dressing up as Terminator for halloween, despite it not being halloween and his costume not looking like Terminator.

edited October 2018
    I ran out of Reading Rainbow on amazon prime so now I am showing Bob Ross. Whole bunch of students now sitting around the tv quietly watching.

Librarian's ghost on

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    You should throw on the Muppet Show.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    Every place I've worked at has always had these stories about their legendary parties, be it the summer BBQs or holidays and they always seem to have ended right before I get there.
    Oh no!
    Stragint wrote: »
    I feel so apathetic at work today and it is screwing my stats. I have very little motivation and I don't know why.

It is incredibly frustrating.

I have a job I love and I still get days like these! Repetitive work with few vacation days gets to everyone, but doubly so for shitty and/or dull jobs.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Yup, 100%. We share this office building with like 5 or 6 other businesses, we can't count on them doing building-wide drills by our schedule.

I don't understand why there isn't a contingency plan for this. Why not at least have a back-up person to check in with instead of having no direct documentation that anyone from my group was there.

LaOs wrote: »

Is it streaming anywhere?

LaOs wrote: »

Is it streaming anywhere?

This was years ago now, but I remember working a very boring desk job that allowed me free reign of the internet and I found that all (it seemed) of the classic episodes were on Youtube, broken out into smaller sections (I think, anyway--maybe there were some full episodes).

I'm not sure if it's on any streaming service or not.

Yup, 100%. We share this office building with like 5 or 6 other businesses, we can't count on them doing building-wide drills by our schedule.

I don't understand why there isn't a contingency plan for this. Why not at least have a back-up person to check in with instead of having no direct documentation that anyone from my group was there.

There should be at least one person on every shift responsible for that. As in, there should never be a time when someone isn't able to that.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    So this "graphic design / marketing job with some light trade show work" is quickly turning into a "event coordinator and show planner with some ad design experience" position.

I don't like it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Enc wrote: »
    Today a guy came to my building on campus dressed in a long black jacket with a bandolier of live shotgun shells around his shoulders. Both Mrs. Enc and I work in this building.

We were on lockdown as cops with tac vests and rifles stormed the entire fucking building.

Asshole eventually was arrested and claimed he was dressing up as Terminator for halloween, despite it not being halloween and his costume not looking like Terminator.

Per our state mandated run/hide/fight training for these situations, I think I could have gotten away with kicking his teeth in.

• ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

:bigfrown:

Glad you and the Mrs. are OK but Jesus Christ the gall of this dude.

What the hell did you think was going to happen walking around looking like the walking embodiment of a threat almost everyone on campus is trained to look out for these days?

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
    God. I am watching students actually be in awe of Bob Ross. When the image he is making snaps into being they are actively letting out shocked exclamations.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that moment is always so satisfying

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Classic Jeopardy episodes are on Netflix if you run out of Bob Ross.

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.