As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] This thread has suffered a catastrophic translight jump failure.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    RAC IS LOVE RAC IS LIFE

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    RAC IS LOVE RAC IS LIFE

To RAC your enemies. See them cored before you. And to hear the salt of their pilots.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Decided to reconfigure my BSW-X1 again. MRMs and LBX are in the same firegroup, LMGs are in group 2, and the MPL is in its own group (depending on the map, some maps I can get away with putting it in with the LMGs). It makes for a lovely surprise for mechs that don't see me coming or think that just because they outweigh me doesn't mean I can't core them with a salvo (like that poor Rifleman).

I may tinker with the Hellspawn a bit to see if I can get it to work as a fast light LRM boat until I can afford something heavier. Considering something like this: HSN-8P

Nobody on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Some decent games tonight. We ran about 50/50. I had this game while I was fighting computer issues:

https://youtu.be/x0rscRKNOHI

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Hahahahaha I love you can see me die as you finish off that Fafnir.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Had to avenge mah boi.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    mN_OZrNqyArkn3UA8oSxBUviaBTYezu1vW1kceQZyvw.jpg?auto=webp&s=9bb67fcb137cd6c725ed296826ad0c7120e34493

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    Some decent games tonight. We ran about 50/50. I had this game while I was fighting computer issues:

dakkadakkadakka

That jackolantern warhorn is the singular best warhorn so far.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    While dakka is nice, the LLAS FIST Wolverine is good times, too.

E6C4B7A540C5BD2D5AFDC9B69E720C555DE99100

• Options
    McGibs wrote: »

dakkadakkadakka

That jackolantern warhorn is the singular best warhorn so far.

Toss-up between it, the bagpipes, and the cauldron warhorn that spits out a Slayer riff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I personally love the Flea one. Beep Beep!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    I bought the Hellbringer yesterday before work and got one game ind. Turns out dual ER PPCs and three ER med lasers generate a lot of heat. So much in fact that I got to press1, 2, 1 and then my mech decided to take a nap. I seem to remember the map being hot, so that didn't help.

Should I just Alpha and then GTFO until I'm cool, or maybe dump the streak-srm6 and MGs for some heatsinks? Maybe downgrade the PPCs to ER med lasers.

I also found out the Heavy Drop pack is five heavy mechs of your own choosing. Originally I read it as an xp booster if you drop as a lance with your mates.

I'm thinking about buying it and getting:

Timberwolf
    Mad Dog
    Summoner
    Linebacker
    Ebon Jaguar

All omnimechs, but is there a core that is better that the others with those five mechs?

Also, I'm also planning on getting the Steam Hero Pack, and that comes with a Mad Dog Hero variant. Is it a waste to get a normal one too? Not sure if the Hero and normal types can swap omnipods.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Man, I know you guys hated it, but I was cracking up when the team chat erupted in political arguments in response to a novelty account last night.

It's like when you have two animals in two separate cages, and then you move them closer and closer until they are hissing and clawing at each other, but they can't actually reach. There is just something beautiful about watching random people who don't even know each other reacting like that in a non-political context. Like watching spontaneous crystallization.

Also thanks for carrying my sorry ass through so many games! Got 44 loot bags left for my free mech so I'll definitely be on again today.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Nought

Yes, Hero and normal variants of omnimechs can swap pods. In many cases, the Hero omnimech has great loadouts that are the only way to get certain things (e.g., 2 energy in the side torso, or jumpjets, etc.).

• Options
    Oh, the salt with RWTumbleweed and those guys reacting to an obvious troll account was hilarious. I'll be on tonight, too. I've got 26 left to go for the free mech.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Darn you guys... making me want to play and try for the free mech. I'm so far behind though (90 bags left) so debating on just saying I'm glad that I got enough money to cover the donation I made to the coffers (and then some).

@Nought in regards to your build. You should just use the ERPPCs for popping off shots at a distance and then let them cool off for close up battles (aka not use them unless you have a killing shot). Can also set a third button (if you have one) for chain firing when you need to fire weapons to get back under cover.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Nought wrote: »
    I bought the Hellbringer yesterday before work and got one game ind. Turns out dual ER PPCs and three ER med lasers generate a lot of heat. So much in fact that I got to press1, 2, 1 and then my mech decided to take a nap. I seem to remember the map being hot, so that didn't help.

Should I just Alpha and then GTFO until I'm cool, or maybe dump the streak-srm6 and MGs for some heatsinks? Maybe downgrade the PPCs to ER med lasers.

I also found out the Heavy Drop pack is five heavy mechs of your own choosing. Originally I read it as an xp booster if you drop as a lance with your mates.

Timberwolf
    Mad Dog
    Summoner
    Linebacker
    Ebon Jaguar

All omnimechs, but is there a core that is better that the others with those five mechs?

Also, I'm also planning on getting the Steam Hero Pack, and that comes with a Mad Dog Hero variant. Is it a waste to get a normal one too? Not sure if the Hero and normal types can swap omnipods.

The Summoner is....pretty bad.

Among the omnimechs the Sunspider is superior, and among the IS mechs the Warhammer 6R, Marauder 5D/5M and Cataphract 3D/0X are all better choices.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Multikill bagpipes are cancer and I love them

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Basically the only reason to get the Summoner is if you liked the old games. All those other Omnis are good in varying degrees.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Nought wrote: »

Timberwolf
    Mad Dog
    Summoner
    Linebacker
    Ebon Jaguar

The Summoner is....pretty bad.

Among the omnimechs the Sunspider is superior, and among the IS mechs the Warhammer 6R, Marauder 5D/5M and Cataphract 3D/0X are all better choices.

Maybe swap the Summoner for an Orion IIC.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Orion IIC-A can be hilarious with max mobility and armor skills, the biggest engine you can stuff in it, and the basic bitch brawl build.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That thing runs MASC right?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Man, I'm in a real rut right now with MWO. Lots of losses. And getting really triggered by Piranhas.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Man, I'm in a real rut right now with MWO. Lots of losses. And getting really triggered by Piranhas.

Buy yourself some SSRMs. There isn't any piranha chassis with ecm

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Buy yourself some SSRMs. There isn't any piranha chassis with ecm

Inevitably that means I just pull games where the SSRM's get countered with a bunch of ECM. Though I'm lazy and hate having to fit an active probe.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    An ECM on counter instead of disrupt would do the trick too.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

It doesn't, but maxed out, you're running Assault levels of armor at 87kph with a 68 point alpha.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Against most piranha builds ECM shouldn't be that big a deal either as most of them run a bunch of machine guns. They need to stay exposed for longer than most poke and run lights.

Lore-wise they're supposed to be throw-away mechs for disgraced clan warriors to regain some honor in before dying quickly.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Against most piranha builds ECM shouldn't be that big a deal either as most of them run a bunch of machine guns. They need to stay exposed for longer than most poke and run lights.

Lore-wise they're supposed to be throw-away mechs for disgraced clan warriors to regain some honor in before dying quickly.

Aka Iron Oosik standard issue.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Aka Iron Oosik standard issue.

I'll have you know that my mechs are meant for the long haul! Never you mind the lack of heatsinks...or ammo in the CT...or carrying enough weapons to spike my heat up to 400% over critical.

Yup! Totally not throw-away mechs!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    All this talk of dakka got me to try it out. Ran dual RAC5's and dual AC/5's on the King Crab

fHZX0iU.jpg

I am now a disciple at the altar of dakka.

(It also should be said that my team was about to lose before I swept in with glorious dakka as the last man alive and got 3 kills in quick succession to save the day! Took on all 3 at once!)

Also I tried your setup with the Ani @chasm but it's freaking slow as hell. 38 kmph top speed. I dunno if I can handle that. Is there something you're doing to mitigate the slowness of the thing?

edit: apparently you are since your top speed is 48. What engine are you using?

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    300 LFE. Build code for it: Af8820a1|Vg|FO|FO|i^|i^p91|k?|k?q91|k?|k?|cOr41|j?|EO|bOs41|j?|EO|bOt91|FO|FOu91|FO|cOvB0|FOw;0;0;0

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King Crab isn't the mech I'd pick for....anything but RAC never loses.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

It doesn't, but maxed out, you're running Assault levels of armor at 87kph with a 68 point alpha.

I would like to know more.

:)

• Options
    King Crab isn't the mech I'd pick for....anything but RAC never loses.

King Crab is where I go to get my bulletstorm on.

2xAC2
    2xLB2X
    2xRAC2

On paper, it looks like it really shouldn't work. In practice, though... well, I'll just put it like this: it's the build I bring out when I'm tired of losing matches.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    For rac builds I like a chassis where I can have minimal exposure. The Shadowhawk is great because its just that one shoulder etc. KGC requires full body exposure unless you start getting more finicky with weapon groups that I want to.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    For rac builds I like a chassis where I can have minimal exposure. The Shadowhawk is great because its just that one shoulder etc. KGC requires full body exposure unless you start getting more finicky with weapon groups that I want to.

That's why you bring a K.Crab. It's going to take a little while to chew through 150+ armor (with max survivability quirks), all while you're dumping out ~25dps. Ain't nobody wants to facetank that.

• Options
    I think it also has kind of an Atlas problem where its profile makes it a target for people. Has that been your experience?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I think it also has kind of an Atlas problem where its profile makes it a target for people. Has that been your experience?

Not really. By the time the mech gets to where it can shoot (and be shot at), the battle is already engaged and the enemy team is already focused on other targets. Eventually, they'll notice the plink/booms of the pellets, but in the time it takes them to turn to look at me, their armor's been exfoliated.

• Options
    Betsuni in his King Crab was getting prioritized over my dumb ass in an Annihilator last night.

steam_sig.png