As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Forsaken: A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    SuperRuper wrote: »
    So you're saying that this game has the same problem my steam library does.

Great.

haha oh god my relationship with steam is fraught

so many games i've never even downloaded

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Also I really didn't need another bounty slot perma-reserved.

If there was a more convenient way to pick up bounties it wouldn't bug me, but I feel like I have to load up to max or I'm just going to be wasting more time somewhere later if I want to do an activity and don't have the bounties on me right then.

Matchmaking/loading for, say, a strike is already frequently damn near as long as the strike itself. Adding another 5 minutes to get bounties and a 10m activity turns into 20-25.

The fact that some bounties now cost something to acquire (Ghost parts for Spider, tickets for Eververse, glimmer for various other ones) together with the existence of the scrapper and various other bounties you get for disassembling stuff or completing other bounties mean they can't just make them all globally always-on but if they'd expose them via API so I could pick up the ones at any given vendor with Ishtar or DIM or whatever I'd be happy.

i have a question

why do bounties cost something to acquire

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i do find it kind of amusing that i simultaneously feel there is too much to do that i want to do and also that there is so much stuff i am discouraged from doing because of the time gating or the grind involved

like i can throw a rock and find something to work on no matter how much i play in a week

but it is actually just overwhelming me and resulting in me not playing as much as i did even during osiris

I was playing last night and finished up my weekly FotL bounty as well as my second mask power-up tree. I was like, "Okay, what should I do now?"
    I could go get phaseglass and sphaerlite so I could use my recently-acquired MW cores to level some gear I'd like to have at 600.
    I could go do some strikes for the weekly.
    I could play some Crucible for that weekly.
    I could go do spider bounties to see if I could get a Queenbreaker.
    I have the mission step in the Malfeasance quest.
    I still haven't finished the strike step for the Acrius quest.
    I could start my 3rd mask power-up tree for that FotL triumph.
    I could work on some bounties for Hawthorn or Petra to bank against next week's weekly rewards.

Instead I went to sleep.
    And I like this game a lot!
    The decision exhaustion is real.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Do prismatic facets dismantle into anything?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Why would you dismantle one, it's a free Eververse item

Crippl3 on
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Because you’ve had every item both this and last week and then cant pick up the Prismatic Facet bounty.

Crippl3 wrote: »

Science?
    You have 3 and don't want anything from the array this week?

I saw a guy on reddit who dismantled a Prime Engram.
    For reference, it produces 3 legendary shards.

• SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    i do find it kind of amusing that i simultaneously feel there is too much to do that i want to do and also that there is so much stuff i am discouraged from doing because of the time gating or the grind involved

like i can throw a rock and find something to work on no matter how much i play in a week

but it is actually just overwhelming me and resulting in me not playing as much as i did even during osiris

I was playing last night and finished up my weekly FotL bounty as well as my second mask power-up tree. I was like, "Okay, what should I do now?"
    I could go get phaseglass and sphaerlite so I could use my recently-acquired MW cores to level some gear I'd like to have at 600.
    I could work on some bounties for Hawthorn or Petra to bank against next week's weekly rewards.

Instead I went to sleep.

HAMILTON I'll make the decision for you. Do the Malfeasance mission step with me. Let's do it tonight.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Can't use it if you've got everything.

I'd just blow them if it'd allow me, but nope.

The only things from S4 Destinysets tells me I don't have are one transmat and the rest are "eververse packages", which nah.

I was just curious if it was worth dismantling for something at all or just letting them rot.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    As an FYI, Queenbreaker has nothing to do with Spider Bounties or any other bounty/challenge/whatever, it's simply part of the random pool and folks presumed otherwise. This is why, unlike Lord of Wolves, it remains a part of that random pool of loot.

yeah i got queenbreaker from an engram drop i do believe

I got Queenbreaker from a daily Gambit reward.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I don't have any issue with this kind of time-gating.

"Do step 1 and then wait X amount of time to do step 2" is whatever. At best, it tickles my lack of patience and I can survive that.

It's not being locked out of anything on a set schedule or something, it's just a thing that takes awhile.

The thing about time-gated quests like this is they do a good job of getting just about everyone the thing at about the same time. That's what they are good for. They even out the reward across people of various levels of time investment in the game. And if you are giving away a sexy and powerful exotic weapon, that's not exactly a bad thing.

SuperRuper wrote: »

Instead I went to sleep.

HAMILTON I'll make the decision for you. Do the Malfeasance mission step with me. Let's do it tonight.

But today's the reset so I have so many more things to do!

But I'll still do it with you if I'm online. I'll probably be on tonight ~18:00-20:00, then possibly after 22:00 EST.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    What’s the best way to grind out subclass abilities? Blind well? I don’t need a seed just unlock abilities with kills

It’s time I join the darkside and unleash nova warp upon the masses. (Occasionally. I still think heal lock is a sleeper and will be maining that...)

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    Disrupter wrote: »
    What’s the best way to grind out subclass abilities? Blind well? I don’t need a seed just unlock abilities with kills

It’s time I join the darkside and unleash nova warp upon the masses. (Occasionally. I still think heal lock is a sleeper and will be maining that...)

Harmony makes it go really quickly.

shryke wrote: »

"Do step 1 and then wait X amount of time to do step 2" is whatever. At best, it tickles my lack of patience and I can survive that.

It's not being locked out of anything on a set schedule or something, it's just a thing that takes awhile.

The thing about time-gated quests like this is they do a good job of getting just about everyone the thing at about the same time. That's what they are good for. They even out the reward across people of various levels of time investment in the game. And if you are giving away a sexy and powerful exotic weapon, that's not exactly a bad thing.

Maybe at the start of an expansion? Like sleeper, to give some space before introducing something they knew would be extremely powerful.

But this is week 9 of Forsaken. Putting in a timegated questline at this point isn't going to make sure everyone gets it at the same time any more than just making all the questline available this week.

The only people who wouldn't get it this week are the people who don't play this week. Timegating it down the road just moves that week to a later one with the exact same result; the people who don't play that week will be the ones who don't get it. Maybe some people would get it earlier in the week? But again, true no matter how many weeks down the road it is. There will be people who can't play earlier in the week who will get it later that week, and people who need to catch up anyway, and will delay obtaining it, but ultimately have it be an all-at-once quest anyway.

What I'm trying to say is that the way they're doing this literally does nothing to address the reasons you suggest it might be. It doesn't do anything more than just releasing it to consolidate acquisition, it doesn't tickle anything when the first step at least is literally "kill a few yellows and then sit on your hands". It only evens out the time investment for people willing to do each part each week, and not wait (either by choice or life) and do it in one go; but still doesn't ensure everyone gets it at the same time. Put it all out this week! They ensured everyone can get it at the same time! No difference to that.

It's just dragging it out. As I said before, I'm guessing this is more related to Black Armory than the Festival, but I'm just unclear as why they tied it to the latter and not former; particularly when there is functionally nothing to do for the quest during the Festival.

Prior to where we are right now, I doubt I would have been annoyed (and despite the length I'm discussing it, my annoyance is honestly pretty low; far lower than, say, the WANTED bounties repeating) as much; but it is a timegate on top of timegates on top of timegates. No, it isn't gated by any other timegate (that we know of, I'll laugh my ass off if a later step is to do something in Dreaming City during a specific week that we have to wait even longer for), but it is just another timegate that we don't need, and I honestly don't feel like is helping anything.

Some timegates are fine! Forsaken has some good ones and some bad ones. It's just when they're unnecessary, and when Bungie advertised this as something we could do this week (we cannot!), it is frustrating.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular

Maybe at the start of an expansion? Like sleeper, to give some space before introducing something they knew would be extremely powerful.

But this is week 9 of Forsaken. Putting in a timegated questline at this point isn't going to make sure everyone gets it at the same time any more than just making all the questline available this week.

The only people who wouldn't get it this week are the people who don't play this week. Timegating it down the road just moves that week to a later one with the exact same result; the people who don't play that week will be the ones who don't get it. Maybe some people would get it earlier in the week? But again, true no matter how many weeks down the road it is. There will be people who can't play earlier in the week who will get it later that week, and people who need to catch up anyway, and will delay obtaining it, but ultimately have it be an all-at-once quest anyway.

What I'm trying to say is that the way they're doing this literally does nothing to address the reasons you suggest it might be. It doesn't do anything more than just releasing it to consolidate acquisition, it doesn't tickle anything when the first step at least is literally "kill a few yellows and then sit on your hands". It only evens out the time investment for people willing to do each part each week, and not wait (either by choice or life) and do it in one go; but still doesn't ensure everyone gets it at the same time. Put it all out this week! They ensured everyone can get it at the same time! No difference to that.

It's just dragging it out. As I said before, I'm guessing this is more related to Black Armory than the Festival, but I'm just unclear as why they tied it to the latter and not former; particularly when there is functionally nothing to do for the quest during the Festival.

Prior to where we are right now, I doubt I would have been annoyed (and despite the length I'm discussing it, my annoyance is honestly pretty low; far lower than, say, the WANTED bounties repeating) as much; but it is a timegate on top of timegates on top of timegates. No, it isn't gated by any other timegate (that we know of, I'll laugh my ass off if a later step is to do something in Dreaming City during a specific week that we have to wait even longer for), but it is just another timegate that we don't need, and I honestly don't feel like is helping anything.

Some timegates are fine! Forsaken has some good ones and some bad ones. It's just when they're unnecessary, and when Bungie advertised this as something we could do this week (we cannot!), it is frustrating.

Not sure why you’re assuming if someone can play this week they can complete the quest this week. As someone with limited play time if they’ve released a 20 minute new mission, and will release another next week, that’s exactly what I want.

I’m not saying this sort of time gating is good or bad but your statement that it serves no portion of the audience is false. Now that we’re passed release week madness I want the game to draw itself out as much as possible.

Also I feel like things that you can only do for a week and then have to wait to do again and content drip feeding should have different names because they aren’t the same thing at all

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    To be clear @shryke I'm not suggesting that timegates can't do what you suggest. They did that stuff very well with Dreaming City content (though I have concerns now about catchups once the story is done).

I'm just saying this specific thing doesn't.

Plus there were/are people who were fully expecting/hoping to have their hands on HMG's again today, or at least this week, and now it is unclear when that will actually be available.

It just ultimately, in my view, a bad experience for players, that could have easily been avoided. Hell, Bungie could have simply straight up said "this will be a multi-week quest, so sit tight!" and expectations would have been set dramatically differently.

i think there is a noteworthy difference between rolling out a quest over a number of weeks and having it always require that number of weeks to complete

if this rolls out over time but then is later doable at whatever pace you can do it in once all the steps are rolled out, like sleeper was, that is totally fine by me

Why does it seem like I've got every material coming out my ears, but I'm always short of datalettuce?

Also why is there a massive Traveler shard in the EDZ along with the Traveler being quite literally cracked open, yet there aren't huge organized expeditions to inspect either?

The Traveler wouldn't have to be such a big mystery if we'd just, you know, walk on into one of the gaping holes and check it out.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

So much this.

Like I will start to work on something (FotL for example), then realize that I probably wont be able to put in all the effort I would need to in a given time period, so then I realize its not worth even doing any of it.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I'm not seeing why any of this makes a difference to what I said. 1 week or 9 weeks in, it's all the same. Later is better actually if there are steps that require higher power levels to do.

And there are plenty of people who might not have the time to get it this week. That doesn't mean stretching it out over multiple weeks will hurt them. As long as each step doesn't take that long, this doesn't screw over near as many people since those with limited time will be able to keep pace on the quest steps because there is a limit on how far ahead you can get.

Like, ultimately, so you get it 2 weeks from now instead of today. Who cares? We all want things right now but having to wait for something is really not a huge problem here. And that's certainly not changed by this being 2 months into the expansion.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Also why is there a massive Traveler shard in the EDZ along with the Traveler being quite literally cracked open, yet there aren't huge organized expeditions to inspect either?

The Traveler wouldn't have to be such a big mystery if we'd just, you know, walk on into one of the gaping holes and check it out.
    People have been inside the traveler but it turns out a giant floating ball of magic/clarketech isn't so simple to figure out.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Hey Nessus is the flash point!

I’m looking forward to Day 18 straight of not getting the Firid Jackal as being the only thing I need for Wayfarer. You’d think with 25% odds per engram I’d have opened one by now but NOPE.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »

I’m looking forward to Day 18 straight of not getting the Firid Jackal as being the only thing I need for Wayfarer. You’d think with 25% odds per engram I’d have opened one by now but NOPE.

I just want one cause it seems like a top tier PvP sniper!

But noooope

Also fun fact, Rez sniping is still a thing in d2! I bet the guy I did it too was very confused. But boy it felt nice! Bite of the fox. Good stuff.

616610-1.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    What I'm interested in is, was the Speaker just lying about the Traveler not talking to him (to Ghaul)... Or are we the first one the Traveler has spoken to?

Local H Jay on
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    What I'm interested in is, was the Speaker just lying about the Traveler not talking to him (to Ghaul)... Or are we the first one the Traveler has spoken to?

Ikora said she and other have been hearing things.

It may just start to be a thing for guardians now that the Traveler is awake again.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

With Nessus as the flashpoint, my quest for wayfarer also involves a lot of Mars at this point.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

I just want one cause it seems like a top tier PvP sniper!

But noooope

Also fun fact, Rez sniping is still a thing in d2! I bet the guy I did it too was very confused. But boy it felt nice! Bite of the fox. Good stuff.

Your broken sig image is causing my browser to sit there saying "Connecting..." and spinning instead of finishing the request. Would you mind taking care of that?

tzfesnmp1sfp.png

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    I was happier in a world where I did not know that I needed all the EP gear for the Wayfarer title. Grinding an old group activity with no matchmaking ...

I like the insanity (read explosions) of a full EP instance but it feels rare to find more than 2 other guardians when I go looking.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I’m curious, why are people sure the new quest is on a weekly timegate and not a daily timegate? Does it indicate that, somewhere, or did people datamine to figure that out?

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Elki wrote: »
    I’m curious, why are people sure the new quest is on a weekly timegate and not a daily timegate? Does it indicate that, somewhere, or did people datamine to figure that out?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there has been any timegates quests that have been on a daily reset and not weekly.

It could happen, but it'd be a first.

As far as I know all that was datamined is that there was a follow-up to this, but nothing to indicate if it was part of a longer chain or how long it would take to get to the next step. There seems to be enough surprise to indicate to me that it wasn't known.

All 7 clan bounties are for either crucible or gambit.

Sirialis wrote: »

PvE players being 'forced' to do PvP for even a second:
    source.gif

PvP players being actually forced to do PvE weekly:
    yvcjxolbmm6c.jpg

well yeah but pvp is bad and pve is good so

Ran the numbers and well

Ya wrong chief
    6lfdazcz9lxf.jpg

Sirialis wrote: »

PvE players being 'forced' to do PvP for even a second:
    source.gif

PvP players being actually forced to do PvE weekly:
    yvcjxolbmm6c.jpg

My point was more, why the fuck isnt there 3 bounties for all activities instead of this random shit.

I’m not touching either pvp or gambit without a full team with this crap matchmaking.

Ran the numbers and well

Ya wrong chief
    6lfdazcz9lxf.jpg

ah crap did i forget to move the decimal again