As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    Lack of DualShocks is pretty near to a deal-breaker for me.

I half expect a "PS One" version next year with dualshocks and a different game list. Oh and for $150 because why not. Sony doesn't exactly have a deep well of retro systems to keep milking.

Yeah, if Sony were to jump straight to PS2 for their next retro console, they'd be seeing some pretty significant hardware costs compared to this mini. Assuming the PSmini isn't powerful enough to run PS2 games, there would need to be an internal upgrade. More storage would be needed since they switched from CD to DVD that gen. And they can't get away with cheaper controllers, since the dual analog was standard. They might be able to get away with leaving out rumble and possibly the pressure sensitive buttons (depending on the game lineup).

All in all, that would add up to a more expensive system, and they're already getting plenty of flak for the current PSmini having the audacity to charge more than Nintendo. It just sounds like a bad move right now.

Still, I just wanna see what the Hakchi people do with this thing. I don't really care about the game lineup at all.

Don't assume anything. The NES and SNES mini are capable of runing dreamcast games.

Yeah, and all but the most basic ones run like doodoo. I've played Mario 64 on my classic, and even that was not pleasant on the eyes, and that's just N64.

But even assuming the PSmini can run PS2 games with no issue, there's still the controllers and storage potentially driving up the cost of a hypothetical PS2mini.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

I half expect a "PS One" version next year with dualshocks and a different game list. Oh and for $150 because why not. Sony doesn't exactly have a deep well of retro systems to keep milking.

Yeah, if Sony were to jump straight to PS2 for their next retro console, they'd be seeing some pretty significant hardware costs compared to this mini. Assuming the PSmini isn't powerful enough to run PS2 games, there would need to be an internal upgrade. More storage would be needed since they switched from CD to DVD that gen. And they can't get away with cheaper controllers, since the dual analog was standard. They might be able to get away with leaving out rumble and possibly the pressure sensitive buttons (depending on the game lineup).

All in all, that would add up to a more expensive system, and they're already getting plenty of flak for the current PSmini having the audacity to charge more than Nintendo. It just sounds like a bad move right now.

Still, I just wanna see what the Hakchi people do with this thing. I don't really care about the game lineup at all.

Don't assume anything. The NES and SNES mini are capable of runing dreamcast games.

Don't assume anything indeed. Sony is more than capable of making this thing for all practical purposes "unhackable" (for 99% of the user base of Hakchi, myself included)--and even with a half-hearted effort they could make it's not possible to run anything more advanced than their software emulation solution (I just got flashbacks of Bleem! for some reason). There are Neo Geo that don't run well on the SNES/NES Mini (granted, the Neo Geo was also the most power intensive of the 16-bit systems).

Synthesis on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Don't assume anything indeed. Sony is more than capable of making this thing for all practical purposes "unhackable"--and even with a half-hearted effort they could make it's not possible to run anything more advanced than their software emulation solution (I just got flashbacks of Bleem! for some reason). There are Neo Geo that don't run well on the SNES/NES Mini (granted, the Neo Geo was also the most power intensive of the 16-bit systems).

Sony's also much, MUCH more willing to custom-make stuff that fits their purposes. A large part of the reason Nintendo's stuff was so robust is that it was cheaper to use off-the-shelf parts than to specially manufacture weaker stuff.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    It's crazy to me that they didn't just make the Vita TV/PSTV look like a small PSOne and just market it this way.

I'm really not trying to sound smug or whatever - but I feel like I've had a great PS Mini for like 3 years now. I bought a PSTV, I loaded up a bunch of PS1 games on to it that I got on various sales for less than $3 a pop, and it also plays Vita games (Persona 4 Golden on a TV!).

I would guess total I spent less than the PSmini cost on it.

It's really baffling to me what they're doing here.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    mxmarks wrote: »

Perhaps because you're thinking about it from the perspective of someone actively involved in the hobby?

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    At least PS1 games are bigger than 10 megs, which justifies the meagre 20 games list a bit more
    NES and SNES classics could and should have offered several times more titles.

Just because something is technically possible, doesn't mean you're entitled to it.

yeah, fuck people for wanting a reasonable product feature that would literally cost zero cents.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png

Perhaps because you're thinking about it from the perspective of someone actively involved in the hobby?

Thats a good point, I often forget that adding in more sometimes actually puts people OFF to the simple thing they want.

$99 for a PSTV that can run Vita games, Hulu, and download any PS1 games they want from PSN.

vs

$99 for "Here just plug this in and play these 20 games"

is interesting when it comes to the holiday season. So many times Ive bought gifts for people that they just never even bother to set up, so I can see where the PSTV was too complicated for folks that just wanted to play Metal Gear again.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

Thats a good point, I often forget that adding in more sometimes actually puts people OFF to the simple thing they want.

$99 for a PSTV that can run Vita games, Hulu, and download any PS1 games they want from PSN.

vs

$99 for "Here just plug this in and play these 20 games"

is interesting when it comes to the holiday season. So many times Ive bought gifts for people that they just never even bother to set up, so I can see where the PSTV was too complicated for folks that just wanted to play Metal Gear again.

You're forgetting that the PSTV didn't run all Vita games, required the stupid expensive Vita memory cartridge, and was tied to a gaming system that was already failing in popularity.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I also seem to remember my PSTV having a really bad UI.

its just the Vita UI.

I think the bundle I got with the PSTV came with a memory card - but yeah, point taken.

I'm just saying it had access to all the PS1 games on PSN and ran them on the TV, with existing controllers.

With all this talk of hacking and adding more games, I'm surprised they don't just say it comes with 20 and then give you like, 2GB worth of space to purchase anything else off the store and use it.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah the Vita UI sucked :P

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The Classic better have that PS1 startup screen.

Krathoon on
    Does the PS4 play PS1 games?

Krathoon wrote: »
    Does the PS4 play PS1 games?

No. Unless you bought them on the digital storefront, but that's sort of "cheating"--in a very lose sense of the term.

Does it play them if you stick the CD into the drive, and let it read, like on PS3 or PS2? No.

At least PS1 games are bigger than 10 megs, which justifies the meagre 20 games list a bit more
    NES and SNES classics could and should have offered several times more titles.

Just because something is technically possible, doesn't mean you're entitled to it.

yeah, fuck people for wanting a reasonable product feature that would literally cost zero cents.

a) Licensing ain't free, dog. I mean I guess if they just didn't have third party games, the only real costs would be manufacturing/shipping. Though I'm sure you'd complain about the lack of third party games in this scenario. Why can't they just license all the third party games and give them to me for no extra cost?

b) Even though it doesn't cost them money to add more first party games, including a lot more games for the same price essentially devalues their IP. Sony could technically "afford" to preload all the PS4s they sell with their entire first party lineup. After all, it doesn't cost anything.

They should have a cheesy 3D menu on it.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I just realized that we've somehow made it to the end of October and I still haven't done my yearly playthrough of Super Castlevania IV, made much easier now with my SNES Classic. One day I might play through the SNES Dracula X on it too, but it's kind of tough after enjoying Rondo of Blood.

• JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Also, WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME MY PS3 COULD PLAY PS1 GAMES?!?!?

(n.b. I had the MGS model with PS2 backwards compatibility, but when that died I got a standard thin one and didn't realize that it still had PS1 compatibility baked in.)

I felt like it was pretty clear at the time that they were removing the hardware for PS2 compatibility. But it seemed like every time people talked about it in comments sections and on forums, it was always "Sony removed backwards compatibility", and they would never specify PS2. I think this lead to a lot of people assuming it was all removed.

I felt like it was pretty clear at the time that they were removing the hardware for PS2 compatibility. But it seemed like every time people talked about it in comments sections and on forums, it was always "Sony removed backwards compatibility", and they would never specify PS2. I think this lead to a lot of people assuming it was all removed.

That was obviously my own blockheadedness. But now I'm very, very happy I still have that big stack of PS1 discs.

Yeah. You really don't need a PS1 console anymore.

I guess the emulation is accurate on the PS3.

I also only just today discovered the part about in a PS1 game on the PS3 you have to switch the controller type from "digital" to "analog" if you want to use the sticks.

Krathoon wrote: »
    Yeah. You really don't need a PS1 console anymore.

I guess the emulation is accurate on the PS3.

With the caveat that some PS3s, especially those with PS2 compatibility, may be on their way out.

I know my 80 GB model has a dying fan that, aside from being loud, is very bad at the whole "blowing of air". It pretty much exclusively served as a PS2 and PS1 emulation machine anyway.

Though at least with PS1s, the PC options are relatively straightforward and superior in many ways.

One thing I appreciate about the newer model PS3s that don't have PS2 compatibility is that you can still use that memory card adapter to transfer your PS2 memory card saves onto it even though you can'd really do much with them except transfer them to a USB drive. I had an ordeal with my fat PS3 last year where it basically died, but I was still able to transfer everything to a newer model PS3 and I was happy to see all my PS2 saves show up on a virtual memory card.

This thread has me thinking about tracking down a decent slim PS2. There are some games on there that seem to not be coming to PS4 due to licensing issues, and my PC is shit at emulating them. I do miss Ape Escape 3.

This thread has me thinking about tracking down a decent slim PS2. There are some games on there that seem to not be coming to PS4 due to licensing issues, and my PC is shit at emulating them. I do miss Ape Escape 3.

I picked up a game called Metal Saga for PS2 used for around $8 years ago. Never played it, but it looked neat. Open-ended JRPG with tanks. It doesn't look like it ever got a re-release either.

And I only found out this year that it's part of a series of games called Metal Max. We've only ever gotten Metal Saga, but the series started on the Famicom. There's a translation available for the Super Famicom remake of the original game called Metal Max Returns, which I now have on my SNES Classic. Maybe one day I'll play it!

edited October 2018
    SteevL wrote: »
    One thing I appreciate about the newer model PS3s that don't have PS2 compatibility is that you can still use that memory card adapter to transfer your PS2 memory card saves onto it even though you can'd really do much with them except transfer them to a USB drive. I had an ordeal with my fat PS3 last year where it basically died, but I was still able to transfer everything to a newer model PS3 and I was happy to see all my PS2 saves show up on a virtual memory card.

It's a strange thing for them to leave in terms of functionality, but I guess it's nice. I was just distinctly disappointed that Sony adopted the slogan, "It only does everything," just as they were introducing revised hardware that was intended to have better reliability (and was certainly less huge)--and quietly removed functionality. Replacing my 3 dead PS2s was more than half the reason I bought a PS3 in the first place, and I was obligated to hang onto one with a less-than-stellar reliability record because of it.

Synthesis on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Don't assume anything indeed. Sony is more than capable of making this thing for all practical purposes "unhackable" (for 99% of the user base of Hakchi, myself included)--and even with a half-hearted effort they could make it's not possible to run anything more advanced than their software emulation solution (I just got flashbacks of Bleem! for some reason). There are Neo Geo that don't run well on the SNES/NES Mini (granted, the Neo Geo was also the most power intensive of the 16-bit systems).

16? I thought it was a 24-bit system?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!

16? I thought it was a 24-bit system?

The Neo Geo, both in arcade cabinet and home system form, were contemporaneous with the other "16-bit" machines of the 4th console generation (and admittedly, "x-bit console" could get kind of arbitrary)--it had a 16/32-bit "parallel" processor, the Motorola 68000. It was advertised as 24-bit console, on account of it's 24-bit graphics processor bus, apparently. Considering it was introduced in 1991 (a year after the SNES), it was generally known that it had substantially more capable hardware (including storage cartridges) for a home console (equivalent to its arcade cabinet version), and a substantially higher cost (it was originally supposed to be a rental proposition that would supplement cabinet income, but enough people wanted to buy the units for home use to justify a sort of high-end Super Famicom kind of marketing approach).

It's part of the 4th console generation unquestionably, and has some 16-bit arcade hardware...so you can call it a "16-bit console" truthfully.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular

Wait, what?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    I assume he means the USB Memory Card reader you could buy and plug into a PS3. I had one.

Back in my PS1 days, my prized possession was a third-party memory module that plugged into the port on the back of the system (a port that I think got removed in some later version) that effectively acted as about a hundred different memory cards.

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I had one of those piece of shit 28-in-1 memory cards that crashed every month or so and wiped itself. It took losing a 20-hour FFT save to convince me to buy a couple of off-brand single cards and chuck that thing in the trash.

Zython wrote: »

Wait, what?

To illustrate on what Synthesis said:

rqp64fa7g8qx.png

Even though I replaced my BC PS3 with a "slim", I think I still have a lot of PS2 virtual memory card saves. Maybe if I get that PS2, I'll get an adapter and move the saves to a real card. We have to go back!

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Wait, what?

To illustrate on what Synthesis said:

rqp64fa7g8qx.png

Didn’t even know that was a thing. I should pick one up. A 3rd party one. The official ones look too expensive now.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    Yeah, when I bought mine, the first-party ones, while nicer and more solid, seemed well overpriced, so I still have a third party one plugged into the numerous USB ports in my dying PS3.

Kreutz wrote: »
    I had one of those piece of shit 28-in-1 memory cards that crashed every month or so and wiped itself. It took losing a 20-hour FFT save to convince me to buy a couple of off-brand single cards and chuck that thing in the trash.

Yeah, I also something like that -- it had an LCD display on the card to tell you which virtual card you were using. I never had an problems with crashing, but switching between cards was kind of a pain in the ass.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I have one of those readers. It’s right up there with my Xbox 360 hard drive transfer cable and my GameCube component cables in terms of semi-obscure console accessories.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

Yeah, and all but the most basic ones run like doodoo. I've played Mario 64 on my classic, and even that was not pleasant on the eyes, and that's just N64.

But even assuming the PSmini can run PS2 games with no issue, there's still the controllers and storage potentially driving up the cost of a hypothetical PS2mini.

Do you have all of the latest updates? Marvel vs capcom 2 seemed to be running great on the newest dream cast emulator for the mod and I know there's been a lot of n64 patches and fixes. I haven't looked at anything in awhile.