As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

As cool as winter, as hot as summer Dresden and other Books-Cinder Spires 2 is out!

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Did we ever learn...(Grave Peril).
    , What the dagger was that Lea got in exchange for Amorachius?

Yes. (Changes or Cold Days, I think? Possibly later)
    It was a trap, possibly a vector for Nemesis. made her turn against Mab.

Mab was not amused, but Lea is valuable enough to keep around, so she stuck her in Winter's source until the raw power washed whatever it was away (over the course of... a year, at least? Not sure)

Also probably helps that giving her the dagger was a clear violation of the accords in terms of not just erasing Lea.
    Yeah so in summer knight Lea makes reference to the item upsetting the balance of power in winter. But then suggests that it's the previous owner which makes it so powerful.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Mab was not amused, but Lea is valuable enough to keep around, so she stuck her in Winter's source until the raw power washed whatever it was away (over the course of... a year, at least? Not sure)

Also probably helps that giving her the dagger was a clear violation of the accords in terms of not just erasing Lea.
    Yeah so in summer knight Lea makes reference to the item upsetting the balance of power in winter. But then suggests that it's the previous owner which makes it so powerful.
    It's mentioned in Cold Days that the dagger belonged to Morgana.

As in Arthurian legend Morgana.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Lea was excited to get it, so it had to have value of its own. I forgot about that detail though!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

I wonder if she's somewhere in demonreach

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

... Probably spends her time ...

Whole series spoilers / speculation ...
    ... yelling at Merlin across the hall to shut up. :D

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

whole series
    Yeah we all totally think the British guy in Demonreach is Merlin, right? That just seems so obvious. Which makes me think maybe it's not him, but come on...

Steam profile
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

whole series
    Yeah we all totally think the British guy in Demonreach is Merlin, right? That just seems so obvious. Which makes me think maybe it's not him, but come on...

I don't think it is... exactly...
    but thats only because I think Harry actually is Merlin. Hes going to be thrown back in time (with excalibur of course), establish the white council, then take the long slow path home by getting himself sealed in demonreach for a few hundred years.

Another very interesting thing about that dagger.
    It's the same one he used to become the winter knight. I think it suggests that the dagger interacts...differently with the stone table than just any old knife. Imagine the kind of power boost winter would get if someone were to kill harry on the table and return his power (not just the WK mantle) to it. Which i think is most of the reason Mab wanted him. she knew he would become very powerful...maybe hes even more powerful than mab expected.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    azith28 wrote: »

whole series

I don't think it is... exactly...
    but thats only because I think Harry actually is Merlin. Hes going to be thrown back in time (with excalibur of course), establish the white council, then take the long slow path home by getting himself sealed in demonreach for a few hundred years.

Another very interesting thing about that dagger.
    It's the same one he used to become the winter knight. I think it suggests that the dagger interacts...differently with the stone table than just any old knife. Imagine the kind of power boost winter would get if someone were to kill harry on the table and return his power (not just the WK mantle) to it. Which i think is most of the reason Mab wanted him. she knew he would become very powerful...maybe hes even more powerful than mab expected.

iirc
    Butcher has said he intends for Harry to break each of the laws of magic at some point, so time travel is going to happen eventually. Though I think he may count the dino as necromancy already. Killing with magic is prior to the first book.

The crazy one, of course, is the about the outer gates, which clearly is being saved for the last book or something.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Proven Guilty
    Was it ever stated who rammed Harry's car off the road at the beginning of the book?

Given all the other time fuckery implied in that book I wouldn't be surprised if it was future Harry or something

Also, I wonder if that inhuman black-clad Molly Harry saw in the soulgaze isn't Winter Lady Molly. Little bit weird he wouldn't see that option

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Oh, Jim confirmed that they're doing a another show.

https://i.redd.it/3fgvjx5maku11.png

I don't know anything not in that image. Might even be on one of his other series, I guess?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Yes, the Dresden Files broadway show is finally a thing!

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

I knew it!

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Harry Blackstone Dresden
    My name is Harry Blackstone Dresden
    And there's a million things I haven't done
    But just you wait, just you wait

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Please let it be Netflix, please let it be Netflix, please let it be Netflix...

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Netflix is really brutal to its own shows; just look at how quick LC and IF were cancelled. Better to hope for Amazon or Hulu.

• Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Wouldn't mind HBO to get the Game of Thrones treatment. I'd have to get HBO Go though.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Those were Disney's shows on Netflix, if Netflix actually produces it it's safer than not.

I just hope it's a live action show on something. That lasts more than 1 season. And doesn't suck.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Maybe "let it be Netflix" is too specific. Mostly, I just don't want it to be some watered-down network TV thing that gets cancelled after a couple seasons once people stop caring about the central mystery, "WHO IS VICTOR SHADOWMAN, AND WHY DOES HE LOVE MURPHY????"

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I wonder what would lend itself best to the books? I would be worried 10 ep seasons would be too many and you also probably don't want to combine mystery novels.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I wonder what would lend itself best to the books? I would be worried 10 ep seasons would be too many and you also probably don't want to combine mystery novels.

There are probably some of the books that could be combined, but I couldn't begin to guess which ones off the top of my head.

I think season length needs to be variable for this. Skin Game needs a different number of episodes from Ghost Story.

• Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Do it Sherlock style. The episodes are as long as they need to be, and only do as many as you need for the story.

• Options
    On the subject of combining books, I feel like you could do a pretty good season with the first half being Storm Front and the second being Fool Moon. Grave Peril needs its own season due to the ongoing significance of certain events in it, though.

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »
    On the subject of combining books, I feel like you could do a pretty good season with the first half being Storm Front and the second being Fool Moon. Grave Peril needs its own season due to the ongoing significance of certain events in it, though.

Fool Moon needs changes, though. Character development was basically the same as Storm Front.

Steam profile
  • Options

Fool Moon needs changes, though. Character development was basically the same as Storm Front.

Oh for sure, for sure. Jim sophomore-slumped the hell out of that book.

• Options
    Like you need both for long term story beats, but you could probably combine the big bad in some way because there is a lot of overlap.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Like you need both for long term story beats, but you could probably combine the big bad in some way because there is a lot of overlap.

For 13 episodes, yeah. For 22+ they can be unconnected, like with Agents of SHIELD.

• Options

Does Fool Moon even give you long term stuff besides "someone's doing something behind the scenes"?

Steam profile
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I'm currently re-reading the series. I'm up to Dead Beat so far.

I think maybe three episodes a piece would be enough for Storm Front and Fool Moon. Enough to do they story justice, but not to linger.

Those books work well enough establishing characters and settings and stuff but their stories aren't particularly interesting.

Does Fool Moon even give you long term stuff besides "someone's doing something behind the scenes"?
    Fool Moon introduces Billy and the wolf gang.

RT800 on
  • Options

isn't there a bunch of red/white court stuff that happens in fool moon?

I like to ART
  • Options

Billy and the Alphas, for one thing. The werewolf worldbuilding is also really cool and all the different varieties of werewolves (loup-garou, lycanthropes, hexenwulfen, shapeshifters) really slots in nicely with the Dresden Files atmosphere of "there's, like....a LOT going on out there".

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Billy and the Alphas, for one thing. The werewolf worldbuilding is also really cool and all the different varieties of werewolves (loup-garou, lycanthropes, hexenwulfen, shapeshifters) really slots in nicely with the Dresden Files atmosphere of "there's, like....a LOT going on out there".

Yeah, the Alphas would be a shame to miss out on.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »

I think maybe three episodes a piece would be enough for Storm Front and Fool Moon. Enough to do they story justice, but not to linger.

Those books work well enough establishing characters and settings and stuff but their stories aren't particularly interesting.

Man, 3 episodes is harsh. I'd give them at least 6 each, unless we're talking about Sherlock-style 2-hour episodes.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Man, 3 episodes is harsh. I'd give them at least 6 each, unless we're talking about Sherlock-style 2-hour episodes.

The previous TV show did Storm Front in 2, and not badly either. Differently, but not badly. 6 would be overkill I think.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Stormfront could be done in an hour long pilot.

Fool Moon should be four-five episodes so you can establish Harry, Murph, Marcone on their own merits, as well as allowing them all to show how badass they are.

After that is anyone's guess but the White Court stuff feels like it should be an overarching plot for a season.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    If it is Dresden it won't be HBO because they're still on the GoT kick and doing Witcher next with Superman.

I'd say MAYBE Amazon wants to dip it's toes in the steampunk fantasy stuff and do his other series to compete with GoT/Witcher, maybe.

Netflix has a pretty solid lineup right now, so my guess would be Amazon pilot season.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    If it is Dresden it won't be HBO because they're still on the GoT kick and doing Witcher next with Superman.

I'd say MAYBE Amazon wants to dip it's toes in the steampunk fantasy stuff and do his other series to compete with GoT/Witcher, maybe.

Netflix has a pretty solid lineup right now, so my guess would be Amazon pilot season.

Witcher is Netflix, not HBO. HBO was banking on Westworld as their next tentpole, but I dunno how that plan is looking after season 2 (which I haven't seen).

• Options
    White Night
    I totally forgot that the climax of that book involved Harry getting shot out of the White Court's murdercave from a massive explosion, in a lust-powered shield ball while making out with a vampire

I don't know how I forgot that, but I did.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    White Night
    I totally forgot that the climax of that book involved Harry getting shot out of the White Court's murdercave from a massive explosion, in a lust-powered shield ball while making out with a vampire

I don't know how I forgot that, but I did.

That description is great haha

The series has so many epic moments

Steam profile
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    One of the better parts of the series was when Harry realized how he must look to the rest of the world in the, i want to say proven guilty, i think.
    All his exploits, his adventures, his deeds and the company he keeps.

We know just how goofy, stupid and stupidly lucky he can be.
    But to those who were not there, or could not peek into his mind, he towers like a near godlike figure, a hero of myth, not a born lucky sucker who somehow manages to survive when he by all rights should not.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    One of the better parts of the series was when Harry realized how he must look to the rest of the world in the, i want to say proven guilty, i think.
    All his exploits, his adventures, his deeds and the company he keeps.

We know just how goofy, stupid and stupidly lucky he can be.
    But to those who were not there, or could not peek into his mind, he towers like a near godlike figure, a hero of myth, not a born lucky sucker who somehow manages to survive when he by all rights should not.

There's a bit of bias in how we see Dresden because he's the one penning these journals. He sees himself as a decently skilled wizard whose gotten lucky a bunch, what he glosses over in most books is just how far he's willing to go when he gets desperate. Sue is a good example. Harry rolls up with her and is all 'Wooooo! She was right there, good thinking right?', everyone else has their jaws on the floor because what he's done is batshit insane, incredibly powerful, and borderline illegal. Or just from the first few books with all the property damange. Harry writes it from the standpoint of him being a dumbass and blowing up/burning down a building, with his and therefore our focus on dumbass. Doesn't change the fact that when things got ugly, Harry brought down a building.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!