As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ARK: Survival Evolved] All hail the gunasaurus

1202122232426»

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Ok, so one more question. Back in vanilla when I last played, one of the big problems that I had was that I was pretty much shackled to the game. I had to log in ever other day or so to make sure that all of my animals were fed. If I were to go out of town for a week, then I would either need to lead an exodus to an obelisk to upload my dinos or rely upon the good graces of another player to feed my dinos. The feeding trough did a lot to help alleviate the chore of feeding the dinos, but things still spoiled relatively fast.

Did they make any changes to the metabolism of dinos to help keep them from starving if you aren't able to log on for a few days? The description of this cryo-chamber sounds like it will solve the problem by giving you the option to mothball your dinos. Just freeze them into an "icecube" and then presumably stuff them in a freezer that's hooked up to a well supplied generator. However the cryo-chamber also sounds like it's pretty far down the tech tree, and I hope that I can reach it before life calls me away from the game for any extended period of time.

So, a few things: The creatures can have the amount of food they need per unit of time decreased, effectively making their metabolism anywhere from hours to for-freaking-ever. There's an S+ trough with a much higher coverage distance, and S+ allows you to "pull" items from sufficiently close storage or containers, meaning if the fields of berries, fridges of meat, etc are close to the trough, a quick pull of needed food makes the feeding chore minutes long instead of potentially way longer. It also sounds like the "ice cube" dinos might decay, so that may or may not be the best storage option, however the Tek Bench or other Tek options allows for the building of beacons that are used as if they are obelisks, and there are improved S+ versions of every Tek Structure.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I might be remembering incorrectly, but I'm pretty sure dinos can survive quite a while with an empty food bar. I'd say at least a week, but it's probably more and it depends on their health pool. If they aren't doing anything, they use very little food, so you have at least a few days before they even get to that point.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Ok, so one more question. Back in vanilla when I last played, one of the big problems that I had was that I was pretty much shackled to the game. I had to log in ever other day or so to make sure that all of my animals were fed. If I were to go out of town for a week, then I would either need to lead an exodus to an obelisk to upload my dinos or rely upon the good graces of another player to feed my dinos. The feeding trough did a lot to help alleviate the chore of feeding the dinos, but things still spoiled relatively fast.

Did they make any changes to the metabolism of dinos to help keep them from starving if you aren't able to log on for a few days? The description of this cryo-chamber sounds like it will solve the problem by giving you the option to mothball your dinos. Just freeze them into an "icecube" and then presumably stuff them in a freezer that's hooked up to a well supplied generator. However the cryo-chamber also sounds like it's pretty far down the tech tree, and I hope that I can reach it before life calls me away from the game for any extended period of time.

The trough that comes with Eco's stable mod extends the duration of food put in there by a lot. Normal critters you only really needed to refill it maybe... once a week? Less?

Additionally, S+ recently added a Tek-tier thing called a Vivarium you can make at lvl 100.
    - New Structure: S+ Vivarium
    * Can store up to 10 dinos, females will produce 1 unfertilized egg every 30 min
    * Males of the same species & Oviraptors will increase production while additional females of the same species will slow production
    * Dinos can be stored while unpowered but will not produce eggs unless powered by a Tek Gen
    * If destroyed, any dinos inside will be spawned in the world
    (note: dinos placed in the vivarium will lose all items on them)

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Kalnaur wrote: »

So, a few things: The creatures can have the amount of food they need per unit of time decreased, effectively making their metabolism anywhere from hours to for-freaking-ever. There's an S+ trough with a much higher coverage distance, and S+ allows you to "pull" items from sufficiently close storage or containers, meaning if the fields of berries, fridges of meat, etc are close to the trough, a quick pull of needed food makes the feeding chore minutes long instead of potentially way longer. It also sounds like the "ice cube" dinos might decay, so that may or may not be the best storage option, however the Tek Bench or other Tek options allows for the building of beacons that are used as if they are obelisks, and there are improved S+ versions of every Tek Structure.

Whoah, those are certainly some changes. My knowledge is outdated since I quit playing before the first DLC. Before I quit, I don't recall there being anything like an "S+" ranking, and I don't recall food troughs having any ability to withdraw foodstuff from containers whatsoever. When I last played, I had to manually load food into the food trough and that food would expire within a day. So it was kind of useful for feeding my dinos en-mass, but they'd have to fast for days until I next logged on.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, I can go on a rampage with an alpha predator and fully stock a fridge with meat. The "S+ feeding trough" can pull meat from the fridge as needed as my dinos get hungry? That should allow my carnivores to survive for a very long period of time.

I get that the "icecubes" decay, but I'm presuming that stuffing the icecube into a fridge will slow the decay rate dramatically like it does with everything else. However I didn't have knowledge of the beacons, so I guess that the beacon obsoletes my line of thinking anyway. Unless the cryo-chamber is easier to unlock than the beacon, in which cold-storage might be a workable stopgap until I unlock the superior beacon.
    MuddBudd wrote: »

The trough that comes with Eco's stable mod extends the duration of food put in there by a lot. Normal critters you only really needed to refill it maybe... once a week? Less?

Additionally, S+ recently added a Tek-tier thing called a Vivarium you can make at lvl 100.
    - New Structure: S+ Vivarium
    * Can store up to 10 dinos, females will produce 1 unfertilized egg every 30 min
    * Males of the same species & Oviraptors will increase production while additional females of the same species will slow production
    * Dinos can be stored while unpowered but will not produce eggs unless powered by a Tek Gen
    * If destroyed, any dinos inside will be spawned in the world
    (note: dinos placed in the vivarium will lose all items on them)

Ok, so there are a variety of options for "mothballing" excess dinos if I need to.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Whoah, those are certainly some changes. My knowledge is outdated since I quit playing before the first DLC. Before I quit, I don't recall there being anything like an "S+" ranking, and I don't recall food troughs having any ability to withdraw foodstuff from containers whatsoever. When I last played, I had to manually load food into the food trough and that food would expire within a day. So it was kind of useful for feeding my dinos en-mass, but they'd have to fast for days until I next logged on.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, I can go on a rampage with an alpha predator and fully stock a fridge with meat. The "S+ feeding trough" can pull meat from the fridge as needed as my dinos get hungry? That should allow my carnivores to survive for a very long period of time.

I get that the "icecubes" decay, but I'm presuming that stuffing the icecube into a fridge will slow the decay rate dramatically like it does with everything else. However I didn't have knowledge of the beacons, so I guess that the beacon obsoletes my line of thinking anyway. Unless the cryo-chamber is easier to unlock than the beacon, in which cold-storage might be a workable stopgap until I unlock the superior beacon.

S+ is short for Structures Plus, a mod that is a total overhaul on all things building, along with making certain items that are automatic. One that isn't (last I checked) was the trough, i.e. it doesn't auto draw food, you would need to do that yourself; there are new interface options at the top of every container when S+ is installed (even default containers and other storage, including dinos). These options allow you to pull items from a list provided in each "container".

To give an example, let's say you go hunt, come back, and want to cook meat. You park your meaty eater near your cooking thing, and pull the raw meat directly into the cooking station, and turn that on. Go run around, settle things up, run over to the trough (ideally built near the cooking station of your choice) and pull the cooked meat from the station you're using right into the trough. There's a tek trough that is refrigerated, as well.

Now, there are a few new stations that help with "farming". It's easier if you have a Tek generator, as that can run them all instead of needing soups, booze, etc, but it goes like this: The Item Collector picks up poop, and delivers it to compost bins or beetles, those make compost which the farmer draws out and distributes to crop plots. The plots grow the berries and veggies, and the gardener picks and holds them. If the generator is on and the dinos are pooping, you have an almost eternal source of everything berry and veggie. Which then you can pull from your gardener (again, provided it's close enough) and into a trough.

There's honestly a lot of good QoL improvements the S+ mod brings, especially for a PvE server, that actually got me to venture further from home than I usually would because most of the actual interaction on feeding and tending took such little time.

Item collectors can also pick up eggs that drop, or the "paste" that snails make, as well as the pearls that phoenixes make (though the phoenix is unique to Scorched Earth).

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Also, depending on how far you are away from others (i.e does anyone else load the 'chunk' you are in) your dino's can last near indefinitely.

on 'The Centre' i lived in the snow biome pretty much by myself, my dino's went a month without food and they weren't even hungry when i got back on.

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    OK, so:

*It sounds like dinos can last longer since I don't think that I could go a full week without feeding them when I last played.
    *It sounds like it's more streamlined to tap into stockpiled resources to feed my dinos every few days.
    *After a certain amount of character progression, I can mothball my dinos in this "Vivarium" or upload them via my own mini-obelisk.

This is all sounding good. It sounds like one of my major gripes with the game has been greatly alleviated. It also sounds like we've got more options for collecting and farming dino-eggs, which should make kibble production easier. They were just starting to introduce kibble production when I quit, and things were still very rough around the edges and it wasn't quite enough to keep up with the rapidly inflating level cap and tame times at the time.

edit:
    Heroth wrote: »
    Also, depending on how far you are away from others (i.e does anyone else load the 'chunk' you are in) your dino's can last near indefinitely.

on 'The Centre' i lived in the snow biome pretty much by myself, my dino's went a month without food and they weren't even hungry when i got back on.

So the dino hunger levels are only loaded and tracked while a player is active within your chunk of the map? Neat. I may need to consider that when picking a site for a major home. Setting up shop in the snow sounds comfy.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Also, kibble is barely needed now. You could skip kibble farming completely and be fine.

For carnivores, there's mutton, which is just slightly less effective than kibble and just as fast.

For herbivores, I think people will be pretty happy with the Immersive Taming mod.

As for S+, it adds a massive amount of changes. You might want to read up on it. The most basic function is you can pick S+ stuff up again after placing it, and it just goes from there.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, S+ is the one mod I refuse to play without. I've been hearing for a while that it's going to be incorporated into the base game, but I don't know where that's at. It makes so many things easier and less of a chore. Awesome Teleporters is the second mod I won't play without.

Also, it's been almost a year, but I'm pretty sure when I was playing on MuddBudd's server and started to lose interest, I left my dinos with a full trough for a good two weeks before logging back on, and when I did none of them were below half health.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I would love if people all built together in the start and built a legit ass village. I loved doing that in Conan exiles

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I can see the appeal, but the draw for me has been carving out a safe sanctuary of my own out of the wilderness.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    I gave up on ark because I hit that point as a solo player where there was just no way to advance up the dino tree, and they kept adding stuff that made no sense to the genre to appease PVP. I am 700 hours into Conan and still play it almost daily. I am still building (just started with T3) and hunting thralls/pets. There are still places in Conan I haven't even visited because I don't feel like I need to rush through the content. Guess I am just enjoying playing the game, not trying to finish it.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    I would love if people all built together in the start and built a legit ass village. I loved doing that in Conan exiles
    I can see the appeal, but the draw for me has been carving out a safe sanctuary of my own out of the wilderness.

And this is why no one usually bands together to do the thing; I've tried it multiple times but everyone wants to be the individual, not the villager. Usually Budd and I team up, mainly because we've been playing this together since our first few days on wicked's original server, but that's generally about it. Folks come back to poke at the game, check it out, and then bounce to the next game when they get bored.

• Options
    This is apparently a thing.

https://youtu.be/mZZY3IGPU3k

• Options
  • Options

Whaaaaaaaat the fuuuuuuuu---

• Options
    edited October 2018
    7Soq50q.png?1

MuddBudd on
  • Options
  • Options
    So, updates.

This weekend I will finish putting together details for a new thread. On the 6th (probably? maybe the 7th) I'll get a server up and running.

There may not be a market right away, but I'll have one up before that next weekend.

• Options
    Leaked gameplay of the defense events. This seems to replace loot drops.

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/9scmtn/ark_extinction_leaked_gameplay_corrupted_rock/

Gonna need a lot of teamwork. Might be worth having one big tribe again.

• Options
    That totally looks like "Tek Stuff Plus high level tames required" content.

• Options
    Yeah, since they don't mention any alternate ways to unlock tek in this, I have to assume its the same, so we'll do the Boss summon events again to get it unlocked for people. Plus we have Tekbench.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    That totally looks like "Tek Stuff Plus high level tames required" content.

Also keep in mind the one they show was very high level. There will be lower level ones that Tek should be less required.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Yes on both counts. It might be rather important to schedule more of them though, as we'll be working around schedules of everyone included.

Also, I do think it would be a really good idea to have a giant clan, even if said clan just only gets together for these "treasure raids", though maybe allies can be included like they can in boss fights?

Mainly I just want any excuse to make a giant Tek-base.

• Options
    Yes on both counts. It might be rather important to schedule more of them though, as we'll be working around schedules of everyone included.

Also, I do think it would be a really good idea to have a giant clan, even if said clan just only gets together for these "treasure raids", though maybe allies can be included like they can in boss fights?

Mainly I just want any excuse to make a giant Tek-base.

That's my thinking. Also there's nothing stopping people from making their own personal places too. Personal codes on chests will let people have private storage.

• Options
    I don't know how things will work out in practice, but I've been imagining both building my own home base but also perhaps contributing to some communal bases. For example, perhaps working towards the construction of a communal safe harbor for storing water dinos or setting up a mining outpost near a rich concentration of metal deposits.

I don't know about anyone else, but the prospect of retrieving underwater crates seems terrifying now.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I don't know how things will work out in practice, but I've been imagining both building my own home base but also perhaps contributing to some communal bases. For example, perhaps working towards the construction of a communal safe harbor for storing water dinos or setting up a mining outpost near a rich concentration of metal deposits.

I don't know about anyone else, but the prospect of retrieving underwater crates seems terrifying now.

Well, extinction won't have a giant amount of water, but on the Island/Ragnarok, you just tame a squid and then MURDER EVERYTHING THAT MOVES.

• Options

Well, extinction won't have a giant amount of water, but on the Island/Ragnarok, you just tame a squid and then MURDER EVERYTHING THAT MOVES.

Squid = Death to everything. The only issue is their attack area is fucking weird, but a bit of familiarity makes that a non-issue.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    The only time you need to worry about anything on a squid is if you are trying to fight a much bigger, better, red glowing squid. And its swarm of smaller squid friends.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    So we learned more stuff from their Extra Life stream.

Cryopods/Cryofridge stuff: https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/9u2xc3/cryopod_and_cryofridge_preview/
    • Animals with saddles with keep their saddles equipped while frozen. They will not retain inventory.
    • Most tames can be put in a pod, aside from perhaps the Raid dinos like the titano.
    • Cryopods are reusable.
    • They can be taken between servers.
    • Cryopods not in a Cryofridge will have a slow decay timer. The timer should be longer than a week with default settings. If the timer reaches the end, goodbye dino.
    • The Cryofridge keeps them from decaying (and resets the timer) as long as it has tek power.
    • Dinos summoned from cryopods in succession too quickly will come out unconscious. IE, its hard to summon an army all at once.
    • Loot crates will often contain cryopods and such as drops, because the devs want this feature used.
    • Dinos stored in pods will gain a small amount of XP over time.
    • Breeding/laying timers do NOT progress while a creature is frozen. But progress on growth and imprinting is also paused while frozen.
    • Pods are very cheap to make. Fridges cost more.

Titans: https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/9tye1t/clip_titans_will_be_5_day_temporary_tames_one_of/
    • You will have to destroy the corruption off of titans to free them and gain them as a tame.
    • Tamed Titans last for 5 days.
    • They can be transferred to other servers.
    • If transferred, the timer goes down to about an hour.
    • There is a limit of one Titan of each type per map.
    • Platform saddles are pre-equipped (no crafting needed)
    • Saddle placement varies per Titan, meaning platform structure strategy will vary per Titan
    • Players pilot Titans from a separate "cockpit"
    • Pilots can be sniped mid-battle

General info from the Stream:
    Supply drops are now 'Orbital Drop Pods' that land in the wasteland. When they land, corrupt dinos try to destroy them. You need to defend them for 5 waves to get the loot inside.
    When in an obelisk biome, the energy dome will show the terrain outside the same as the biome. Leaving the shield lets you see the actual wasteland terrain.
    There was an implication that at least some Tek engrams will be unlockable without killing bosses. I suspect at least enough of the tek engrams to get a generator and Cryofridge up and running.
    All items from the base game and some items from Scorched Earth and Aberration are available on Extinction.
    There will be Taxidermy. Letting you take special skins from living tames or dead animals and making a sort of museum replica of them for display.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Plan for this week. Tuesday night I am going to work on getting a server up and running. It will probably be live for people sometime on Wed. the 7th. I am going to need some time to get things working.

Market will get built sometime AFTER the weekend. (I am travelling this weekend). When I am not driving I will be able to do maintenance and reboots, if needed.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.