As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DELTARUNE: Chapter 2 out now!

BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
edited September 2021 in Games and Technology
Hey a bit out of the blue here, apropos of nothing in particular, but who remembers UNDERTALE? That sure was a good game. Anyway, unrelated to that:

I guess you can participate in the survey at https://www.deltarune.com

*THERE MAY BE MOVING OR FLASHING IMAGERY.
*YOU MAY HAVE TO OVERRIDE SECURITY PROTOCOLS TO USE THE PROGRAM.
*FOR PUBLIC SAFETY, YOU ARE ADVISED TO REFRAIN FROM DISCUSSION OF THE PROGRAM FOR 24 HOURS. (use spoiler tags for a bit in this thread)
*YOU ACCEPT EVERYTHING THAT WILL HAPPEN FROM NOW ON.

BahamutZERO.gif
BahamutZERO on

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Important story spoiler
    Ralsei is precious

Later story spoiler
    Oh no he's even more precious

Endgame spoiler
    Safety spoiler just in case.
    Boy howdy I'm glad there were enough discrepencies in the characters to confirm this isn't the same continuity as Undertale or I'd have been super sad. Asriel and Dadhugs wouldn't have been worth it.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Just played the whole thing.

That. Was certainly a thing.
    Some kind of AU? Alternate timeline? Gaster fuckery into other worlds and possibilities? Who knows.

Neat twist on the Undertale system, too.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Everything is good.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Wait, it's not just a demo and is in fact a WHOLE GAME?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    Serious fucking spoiler
    Seriously
    It's chapter one of a whole game.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »
    Serious fucking spoiler
    Seriously
    It's chapter one of a whole game.

Astounding.

Currently, I am:
    Seapping at Seam's seap.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Holy shit.
    My heart nearly exploded when I first saw Toriel.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    3 minutes in, and it already got me somethin' fierce.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Hurray for anagrams.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Has anyone managed to figure out how to..
    Kill that checker king thing with the giant gams?

Trying to genocide my way through this.

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Wow that insane uninstall oversight is the same as in Sierra's unpatched uninstaller for the retail Half-Life 1.0 release on CD, which cost me all my games saves and self-programmed games back in 2001. I kept all of that in sub-directories under a single top-level "Games" folder. The uninstall is effectively a DELTREE on the entire path to the game, minus the root of the drive.

Back then, I didn't know what had happened at first and wound up making the same mistake on both my laptop and desktop before I realized why that folder got nuked. To this day I still haven't managed to re-code or re-complete most of that. I'm shocked to see this sort of elementary mistake again.

I don't see anything on the site that would let me contact its maker. I don't use Social Media, so that isn't an option. Any idea how to perhaps email them?

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

At first I thought he was just meme-ing on Fallout 76's issue but no it appears to be a real thing.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah toby already knows about it

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited October 2018
    Surprised theres some actual cursing in this one.

This isn't the good clean Christian Undertale I grew up with.

Dr. Chaos on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    I've been playing for an hour, with no end in sight. This is really good; Toby has upped his game making game since Undertale.

Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Surprised theres some actual cursing in this one.

This isn't the good clean Christian Undertale I grew up with.

Its CURSE power leveled up, but we still aren't at the point where we can see rank-two curse words.

edited November 2018
    That ending..
    Putting my money on someone having trapped Frisk, I'm not entirely convinced this is just an alternate universe.

I'm getting strong "we gotta break out the matrix" vibes here. Susie being here and being mentioned as important in the other undertale world too can't be a coincidence.

Dr. Chaos on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Lategame spoilers
    I enjoyed that GOD DAMMIT far too much in the castle.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    Something neat about the status screen:
    It seems that characters' descriptions can not only change over time, but based on what items they have equiped. Ralsei had a different description for the Red Scarf, Ragger, and Dainty Scarf.

edited November 2018
    OH MY FUCKING GOD

Endgame spoilers, seriously.
    No, seriously. Like, post-final boss stuff
    Last warning for people accidentally clicking this far.
    How did I not twig to Ralsei's name being a hint before? It's an anagram! Of "Asriel"!

Enlong on
    Just noticed Kris is wearing Chara's colors, not Frisk's

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Ending
    For sure Kris has no relation to Frisk, by all accounts seems to be an alternate Chara. Could also be a prequel taking place before the human/monster war and this is just what actually happened, but I don't think that quite adds up with the backstory of Undertale. So it's more like an alternate universe in the past.

edited November 2018
    Actually The End Of The Game Spoilers
    Double Spoiler Protection. Turn back if you haven't seen the credits.
    How the hell is it that walking around the calm town got me more shocked than any of the preceding events?

Everything is like, just somewhat different. The town looks like the kind of idyllic scene that was set up at the end of Undertale; Toriel's a teacher, monsters are happy, etc. But Undyne doesn't know Alphys. sans and Papyrus are new in town and nobody knows them. Asriel is alive and there's no indication that this is a name given to him in honor of the original Asriel. And there's not a single human in town other than Kris. So is this before Undertale? Is this town some place in Mt. Ebott? Except that Toriel and Asgore are separated, but Asgore isn't a king, and Toriel isn't locked in some distant Ruins, which is apparently where she went as soon as she split with Asgore. Not to mention that Gerson (remember him? The old turtle shopkeep dude from Undetale?) is dead. And Asriel is old enough to go to college, even though he and Chara died as children.

And that's not even to mention the freaky-as-hell ending scene.

WHAT IS GOING ON?!?

Enlong on
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Enlong wrote: »
    OH MY FUCKING GOD

Endgame spoilers, seriously.
    No, seriously. Like, post-final boss stuff
    Last warning for people accidentally clicking this far.
    How did I not twig to Ralsei's name being a hint before? It's an anagram! Of "Asriel"!

Psssssst

psst
    Deltarune is an anagram of Undertale :0

Yeah don't worry tho I didn't piece that Ralsei thing together til the end as well

"Kris" is also "Frisk" without the F, hmmmm!

(yo hey ALSO, omega post-game story spoilers tho don't open if u ain't beat it, fair warning)
    Last chance.
    My current going theory is that Deltarune is some sort of an Undertale alternate universe/world. It clearly doesn't occur post-Undertale, it doesn't occur pre-Undertale. It's gotta be some sort of AU.

Like you've got certain characters that, in Undertale, were fucking BESTIES that either don't know each other in Deltarune (Undyne/Alphys) or hate each other (Catty/Bratty). Like things have been all flipped around, despite there being the same sort of setting and characters. Kris is the only human in a world of monsters, adopted by Toriel... Yknow, almost the exact same thing as Chara in Undertale.

BY THE WAY, LOOK AT KRIS'S SPRITE AND THEN CHARA'S I DIDN'T CATCH THAT SHIT TIL I GOT BACK TO THE SCHOOL. Same fucking hair sAME GODDAMN GREEN FUCKING SHIRT

Um, but yeah. Ralsei == Asriel, at least in name. But also in appearance?? Ralsei looks JUST LIKE Asriel did in Undertale. But Deltarune's Asriel is clearly older, being off in college. CONSIDER THIS: Ralsei calls himself a "Dark Prince." Undertale!Asriel, technically speaking, was a Prince. Asgore was King, Asriel was his son.... Soooo what if Ralsei isn't exactly.... from this world....???

(Yes I'm hinting that Ralsei is Undertale!Asriel. That's my going theory, anyway.)

Also consider that we have the same characters but different personalities-ish, right? Except, Sans. Sans appears to be... pretty much the same.... And we know from the Genocide route in Undertale that he's no stranger to Time Fuckery and all that jazz.... So hmmmmmm..................................

Yeah so that's my guess. Deltarune is a weird sort of scrambled different Undertale AU, and I'm PREEEETTY sure that was Gaster we were talking to at the very very start. Sure as shit wasn't Chara.

Edit: In regards to Kris and the very very ending scene where they rip out their SOUL and throw it in the birdcage, presumably being possessed by Chara: At the start of the game, we WERE told that we were making "A Vessel". We all just, promptly disregarded/forgot about that because we were then promptly told our choices were discarded and didn't matter.

Now we know what (or who, I suppose) the "Vessel" was for, hm?

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I love bees.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Quick question, how long is this thing?

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    Quick question, how long is this thing?
    2-4 hours.

I love that
    Asgore is still in the doghouse even in a different universe. :lol:

Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I love that
    Asgore is still in the doghouse even in a different universe. :lol:
    It made me sad. :(

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Man
    When Susie drops that one liner, and it just slips into that slick new combat with the awesome music. That. That is the moment good games are made from. Good JRPG type games definitely

Kai_San on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Pondering if I care enough to go through again, evidence would suggest there's some stuff I missed along the way.
    Remembered to backtrack for that one puzzle you can't do until you've been to the castle, it gave me part of a broken key, suggesting there's other parts I need to find before it can be repaired. Then there's presumably a door it goes to somewhere.

Unsure of if I have the heart to try for a genocide run. This one seems like it'd make things a bit more... personal than Undertale.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Wild speculation time
    Seriously, for what happens after Deltarune, assumes that you've completed the game here
    My guess is that we're not playing as Kris for the remainder of the chapters. Instead, we'll just be the heart and we'll "possess" other characters and try to fix the timeline somehow.

E.g. - repair Asgore and Toriel's relationship.
    Make sure Undyne and Alphys meet and become best friends.
    Etc., etc.

Like an Undertale version of Quantum Leap. Kris or Chara (Archa?) will be the Evil Leaper trying to fuck things up.

Related to the epilogue in town
    9hts01ukagta.gif

Oh god I loved this

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i can't tell if I found a bug or content i don't understand
    t o b y f o x

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    http://web.archive.org/web/20160817183540/http://www.deltarune.com/
    DELTARUNE site back in 2016 with an all black page hiding an all black image called him.jpg that reveals the message "THREE HEROES APPEARED TO BANISH THE ANGELS HEAVEN" written in wingdings when color corrected

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    t o b y f o x

What happen

I ate an engineer
    milski wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    t o b y f o x

What happen
    real spoilers i guess
    at the Forest-After Maze save point you can walk out of bounds by going to the left. i thought it might have had something to do with the freedom offered by the Jevil, but i beat him and came back and can't figure anything out.

Also you can interact with the tree that blocks your way after you remove it.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Hmm. Maybe it's a fun values thing?

Semi-related minor spoilers
    The three save files are different (and multiple save files is weird for Undertale, right?)

This points towards the game being a game about alternate universes, rather than just set in one.

I ate an engineer
    the deltarune website has updated now that you are supposed to talk about it
    you can now give toby fox your money for his music (give toby fox your money)

Oh neat. The Fanfare is from Rose of Winter.