As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Pretending that it is a logical or a moral failing to choose not to support CD Projekt in light of their social media behavior is silly.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Could we maybe get another thread started about this kind of thing? Or this specific incident. Either or.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Nah, we haven't any other time this has happened. These discussions should happen in their own context, and I don't think it's beneficial to anyone for them to be that easily ignorable.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    CD Projekt have decided that they want this to be the face of their company

Pretty comfortable spitting in that face

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Pretending that it is a logical or a moral failing to choose not to support CD Projekt in light of their social media behavior is silly.

FWIW I think the argument is less "you have a moral imperative to support companies so that the little guys can earn a living" and more "a boycott doesn't actually target who you think it targets, and that's even if it works at all". I don't think anyone would be silly enough to suggest you should buy the game even if you're not interested in it, or even if it makes you feel gross for buying from CDPR.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    There’s ways to get the game without supporting cdproject, specifically buying it used.

The problem isn’t a company, it’s society. Not buying a game isn’t going to do anything, but supporting policies through activism will do a lot.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

FWIW I think the argument is less "you have a moral imperative to support companies so that the little guys can earn a living" and more "a boycott doesn't actually target who you think it targets, and that's even if it works at all". I don't think anyone would be silly enough to suggest you should buy the game even if you're not interested in it, or even if it makes you feel gross for buying from CDPR.

This is pretty close. Ethical consumerism is a difficult terrain to traverse, and I'd expect everyone has failings in it. But if we never purchased things from nasty corporations we'd quite literally own nothing.

I feel I do have a moral imperative to vote for people who can make changes, to engage in discussions about not being gross towards people who are demonized by society for no good reason. In this case GoG and by association CDP are engaging in disgusting and harmful behavior on social media and being called out for it. Boycotting them won't do anything, IMHO, because the people engaged in this behavior will, as I said before, land on their feet elsewhere... but I'd be hellishly foolish to demand others to think the same.

I can simply buy the game used, as another said. And I might just do so. Others may not want to buy it at all because of how they've handled themselves, as is their right. I don't think it'll do anything, for reasons previously stated, but I've never put it out there that you must buy it for all the little people

Despite the fanboy accusations I can quite confidently say I don't have any reason to engage in corporate loyalty. I've even stopped using or purchasing items from certain companies because I feel like their market practices and corporate identity is toxic (several already mentioned in this thread). I don't really put much stock into advertising and marketing, but rather in actions with products. If CP2077 has the same gross ideology built into it that we see on their Twitter then I may just decide not to give CDPR another dollar.

jungleroomx on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Remember when the Aurora shooting happened and some clueless social media person posted "#Aurora is trending, must be because of our new Kim K inspired Aurora dress! :D"?

Are we sure that incompetence isn't a more likely motivator than malice given that people in this very thread weren't aware of the context of the hash tag?

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Remember when the Aurora shooting happened and some clueless social media person posted "#Aurora is trending, must be because of our new Kim K inspired Aurora dress! :D"?

Are we sure that incompetence isn't a more likely motivator than malice given that people in this very thread weren't aware of the context of the hash tag?
    Ignorance works as an excuse, once.
    This is not their first "mistake".

Choosing not to buy games from CDPR, including Cyberpunk, isn't really about punishing the right people. It's just about choosing not to give money to the corporation. The part of all this I expect to actually have effect is the e-mail I sent to their corporate; me not buying Thronebreaker or Cyberpunk, and not buying more games from GOG, is because I'm choosing not to give CDPR money. I don't aim to hurt the founders or the executives, I just don't want to give CDP my support so long as they're doing this, and as much as I wanted those games (and boy howdy did I ever) I don't value them more than I do the people and movements they've chosen to shit on.

dN0T6ur.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I don't buy the argument that, "all corporations are evil, so you can't really vote with dollars."

You absolutely can watch for things like a public marketing campaign that includes transphobic dog whistles as part of the marketing strategy, recognize that it's outside the norms of normal company bullshit, and say, "Nah, there definitely at least a line here."

Lots of game companies are shitty, but only CDPR is embracing transphobic and pro-GG social media as part of it's marketing campaign.

What is this I don't even.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Choosing not to buy games from CDPR, including Cyberpunk, isn't really about punishing the right people. It's just about choosing not to give money to the corporation. The part of all this I expect to actually have effect is the e-mail I sent to their corporate; me not buying Thronebreaker or Cyberpunk, and not buying more games from GOG, is because I'm choosing not to give CDPR money. I don't aim to hurt the founders or the executives, I just don't want to give CDP my support so long as they're doing this, and as much as I wanted those games (and boy howdy did I ever) I don't value them more than I do the people and movements they've chosen to shit on.

Yeah, I was looking forward to Cyberpunk. But unless I see them make an effort to put a stop to this, I’m happy enough buying other games. There’s not exactly a shortage these days.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

The bolded is why I think we're at a fundamental disagreement.

Though "punishing" isn't quite the right context, educating and hopefully breaking through ignorance would be far more effective (if not more difficult) because it's a much longer-term solution that can then propogate itself to others.

I've done what you're doing to other companies, but moreso because I feel what they actually produce is harmful as opposed to the general attitude/marketing face of the corp itself. I can't really blame anyone for boycotting them as a personal stance.

jungleroomx on
    edited October 2018
    I will say their Twitter feed has been dead silent since the 23rd. Right after a major release of Witcher-related content on GoG this seems out of the ordinary.

Maybe some shit going down behind the scenes? Kind of looks like it may be too late for CDP to try and make amends for a lot of people, though.

jungleroomx on
    edited October 2018
    I'm not particularly interested in taking part in an educational campaign aimed at a corporation of that size. They have the resources they need to educate themselves all they want, and their particular mode of engaging up to this point suggests they are quite educated regarding the issues, insofar as they are informed enough to come down on the wrong side of them before going "Don't worry gamers, we're only about the games"

They know full well what they're doing; it's embedded in the language they use and the larger narrative they're weaving around and through the use of that language

So they don't get my money! Whether they know why or not doesn't really matter, they just don't get it

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Whoops, wrong thread. How did I even end up here, a page down from the front page?

Synthesis on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    ...Cowboypunk?

5gsowHm.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Synthesis won't be happy until every thread has a DF video posted in it :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Synthesis won't be happy until every thread has a DF video posted in it :P

I mean, that is true--except that's not why I posted.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    edit: jesus that image is big.

Here's a link instead

Action based skill increases on top of traditional levels and perks!

Yessssss

Yessssssssssssssssssssss.

DemonStacey on
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    just as long as i dont have to crouch-walk 36hours of the game or punch 96% of npcs in the head to appreciably level sneaking and unarmed combat...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edit: jesus that image is big.

Here's a link instead

Action based skill increases on top of traditional levels and perks!

Yessssss

Yessssssssssssssssssssss.

I just hope this does not mean people will be pickpocketing same person hundred times in a row to steal a credit, then give them a credit, steal that credit, etc...
    Just so they can finally get the skill to a level where it is actually usefull.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I mean, like anything else that is just balancing.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I wonder if they could steal some mechanics for that from, like ... Burning Wheel? Where trying and failing is what actually gives you the "skill use XP."

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I wonder if they could steal some mechanics for that from, like ... Burning Wheel? Where trying and failing is what actually gives you the "skill use XP."

Getting XP for both is not a bad idea. With learning to draw, making something I've done before doesn't mean I haven't improved my skills, but the same goes for failing at trying something new. Failure and success both lead to progress.

Though it would be plenty reasonable to me to get more XP for trying things you know next to nothing about than things you're familiar with, since learning something new requires picking up a lot more info/skills than just refining something you already know.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Two actual news stories:

Polish Analysts think that it'll be released Q4 of 2019

It's not the company giving the release date just some analysts but I'm guessing they are looking at the same time frame of Red Dead and liking what they see.

The Associate Design Director is leaving CD Projekt Red

If a director is leaving and there's enmity then I'm thinking the game isn't having any internal issues.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Oh god be careful headphone users at 0:17.

Donnicton on
    edited January 2019
    More news, this one not the greatest:

The Creative Director of Cyberpunk is leaving for the land of Blizzard.

No word yet from either but I'm assuming that they knew about it well in advance and hopefully have the pieces in place for a replacement.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    At the point in development Cyberpunk is supposedly at, I wouldn't be shocked if his work was mostly done.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    At the point in development Cyberpunk is supposedly at, I wouldn't be shocked if his work was mostly done.

Fair enough , wonder what he would do at blizzard though.

Fair enough , wonder what he would do at blizzard though.

Supposedly Creative Director according to his Linkedin.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    It is a shame... people come and go in developer groups all the time. It's rare that companies keep people around for decades and become rockstars. Not every company can be Square or Atlus.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular

Yeah, at this point there's probably very little completely fresh work being done, especially at the creative level.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Looks like there's some new footage in that? New to me, at least.

I wants it. Just jack it into my cortex now.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    yeah just shoot it directly into my brain pls

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Looks like there's some new footage in that? New to me, at least.

I wants it. Just jack it into my cortex now.

Maybe a tiny amount of new footage, but no new news whatsoever.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    yeah just shoot it directly into my brain pls

By the time it comes out, the technology will be there.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Let's hope they don't pull a Bethesda, they're not too bad yet.