As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I want to learn my missiles.
    What's the best heavy chassis to load out a "support" missile boat.
    I'm thinking something in the 5-700m engagement range.
    Preferably with a snub ppc for when I run out of ammo.

bonus points for being on "sale"

Maddog
    Timberwolf
    Orion / iic
    Catapult
    Jager
    Archer

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Redspo0n wrote: »
    Where does Steam-MWO dump screenshots?

Not sure if it's universal for everybody. But a sure-fire way to get there, in Steam:

1) Click on your username in the upper-right corner (next to "Big picture mode")
    2) View My Profile
    3) Click on Screenshots in the sidebar to the right
    4) Just above the recently added screenshots, there's a row: "Viewing | image wall | Newest first | All Your Screenshots | Upload Screenshots | Manage Screenshots"
    4a) click on Upload Screenshots
    5) Select an MWO screenshot and click on "Show On Disk"

Make a note of that folder, that's where Steam dumps your MWO screenshots

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I don't know what mechs are on sale. But the cheesiest are the Timber Wolf and Mad Dog. But for Snub Nose PPCs... Hmm... Catapult maybe?

So is there going to be a FW Oosik night tonight or just regular shenanigans?
    Where does Steam-MWO dump screenshots?

Used to be here:

C:\Users\username\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\ScreenShots

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    A good missile mech, like most mechs, comes down to how hard points sit on the chassis. Right now in meta for most mechs you want high points where you can fire with minimal exposure.

If you're building a missile mech you want something with a lot of tubes instead. For instance, most Atlas variants have a missile slot where there are only 10 tubes so an LRM20 fires in two volleys. This sucks for AMS.

Additionally for the Mad Dog its torso tubes face at something like a 45 degree angle, meaning they can volley much tighter to cover than a 90 degree tube like those of a Catapult can.
    calling it by ear. If people show up and just want regular that's fine with me

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The Mad Dog, somewhat unusually for missile mechs, handles pretty tight as well, meaning it can brawl better than an Archer can.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Oh I would not recommend the Archer to anyone. Unless you want it for nostalgia sake.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Oh I would not recommend the Archer to anyone. Unless you want it for nostalgia sake.

Well it is a 500+ year old IS chassis.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

Maddog
    Timberwolf
    Orion / iic
    Catapult
    Jager
    Archer

Sunspider is nice too. ECM and excellent slots for LRMs or ATMs. The 3xATM9 Sunspider is disgustingly good and can hit for up to 81 points of damage per salvo.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden

Well it is a 500+ year old IS chassis.

Not to mention given bunny ears that count as the torso hit box.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    How good does the Hunchback run missiles? The SRM variant, not the one with the LRM-lunchbox. Not as flexible as a heavy, but being a medium you get some mobility and you aren't as much of a walking barn door when it comes to incoming fire.
    I've put together a loadout around a MRM 40 with a brace of medium lasers for backup, also rocket launcher that looks like it might be entertaining.
    HBK-4SP

edited November 2018
    That'd be fine. MRM firing patterns make tube counts less important. I don't remember weights off the top of my head but consider dropping the rockets for ams

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    An MRM boat Hunchback will certainly catch some people off guard.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    A good missile mech, like most mechs, comes down to how hard points sit on the chassis. Right now in meta for most mechs you want high points where you can fire with minimal exposure.

If you're building a missile mech you want something with a lot of tubes instead. For instance, most Atlas variants have a missile slot where there are only 10 tubes so an LRM20 fires in two volleys. This sucks for AMS.

Additionally for the Mad Dog its torso tubes face at something like a 45 degree angle, meaning they can volley much tighter to cover than a 90 degree tube like those of a Catapult can.
    calling it by ear. If people show up and just want regular that's fine with me

I don't think the orientation of the launchers has any effect on LRM launch angles. The missiles start arcing immediately after they leave the tubes. Any difference between the Mad Dog and Catapult launch angles are probably more attributable to differences between Clan and IS LRMs

sXXjb1B.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    see317 wrote: »
    How good does the Hunchback run missiles? The SRM variant, not the one with the LRM-lunchbox. Not as flexible as a heavy, but being a medium you get some mobility and you aren't as much of a walking barn door when it comes to incoming fire.
    I've put together a loadout around a MRM 40 with a brace of medium lasers for backup, also rocket launcher that looks like it might be entertaining.
    HBK-4SP

The SRM 4SP is one of my original favorite rides. The build packs a surprising wallop with twin SRM6s and four MLAS. You've got more than enough room to max your armor out and drop a maxed out engine in there and you're gonna want it so that you can get in, do your damage, and GTFO. If I was gonna update my old ride for the modern era it'd prolly look something like this: HBK-4SP. Yeah, the MLAS aren't symmetrical but that head laser has won me matches and I will never roll an HBK without one.

If you want to use an HBK as an MRM carrier I'd recommend going for the 4J variant simply because it should allow the MRMs to fire in a bigger wave thanks to the higher tube count making them easier to aim.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Don't underestimate the Griffon 2N. ECM and 4 Missile hardpoints in the torso. Only 2 energy hardpoints though, so not a good LRM candidate. But definitely a good platform for MRMs or SRMs.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    edited November 2018
    At one point it used to be THE IS Scouting* mech with 4 SRM4s and lasers/flamers.

Then the Bushwhacker pushed it out and I have not paid attention since then.

Edit: * Scouting for Faction Warfare.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    @Styrofoam Sammich @Erlkönig @chasm

I'm in game and dropping with Aridhol.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Invite when ready

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Gonna miss tonight, guys. Sorry. But as usual, I'll be available to play most of the weekend starting tomorrow night.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    Stuck at work tonight. So sad.

Also, had to leave for work with 188/200 for the free mech. (But I bought a PIR-2, RGH-1c, and Dragon.. uh.. 1m? That was on sale, so I'm still ok).

Also, sadly, I think my screenshot didnt work, but the RGH-1C in a splat build.. Dumped a 780dmg game, in which one of those kills was a completely fresh Pirahana ran straight at me and was vaporized. I suprised myself even.

Alsoalso - Vapor Eagle soon!

Alsoalsoalso - updated my paint with the offical blue/orange/white + crusader pattern looks good

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
    Hey @Nips - which division number am I in again? Been putting 3s on my mech for 'reasons' but I figure I should carry the proper identifiers.

Was fun running with 5 of you guys tonight. Feels so much different than just running with Erlkönig and complaining how bad the team is.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Was fun running with 5 of you guys tonight. Feels so much different than just running with Erlkönig and complaining how bad the team is.

Hey now, I'm still learning all the ways to weave "windowlickers" and "paint-chip snacking" into my standard rotation of complaints.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Was fun running with 5 of you guys tonight. Feels so much different than just running with Erlkönig and complaining how bad the Redspo0n is.

Fixed.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Good fights tonight all!

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Thanks for the matches tonight. Took me a few to get into fighting form.

I really got stuck into the bushwacker and running anything else got me murdered right quick.

I'm gonna have to invest some time into something in each class.

@Styrofoam Sammich had some great kills so I just followed him where possible :)

Thanks for the matches tonight. Took me a few to get into fighting form.

I really got stuck into the bushwacker and running anything else got me murdered right quick.

I'm gonna have to invest some time into something in each class.

Styrofoam Sammich had some great kills so I just followed him where possible :)

That could be hazardous to your health if he leads you to being in front of my King Crab claws or anywhere in the front +/-5 degrees of my Dire Wolf. I kinda can't see anything except for red doritos and explosions when I've got the cannons spun up.

Yeah, sticking with me or Styrofoam can be bad for you. We have a tendency to wade in to the thick of things and channel Lord Dakka.

steam_sig.png
    And here we have tonights highlight clip. Oosiks hunting a stealth flea.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    Yeah, sticking with me or Styrofoam can be bad for you. We have a tendency to wade in to the thick of things and channel Lord Dakka.

that's no problem because that's how I handle my problems too.
    Get up close and dakka until someone stops.

chasm wrote: »

The blood lust got me tonight and I tried to box an Atlas in my Shadowhawk

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Oh right - found this Snap finally. Felt so good.ywbqugu3c28x.jpg

• NoughtNought Registered User regular

I think that's the match I was in. Polaris City in a LRM boat MDD Revenant. Perfect combo.
    They might as well call that map Overhead Cover in the dark.

After I died I spectated you. I'm assuming you launched a drone near the end to keep your lock on the other guy while he was behind cover?

I think I need to start useing consumables in situations like that.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    Nought wrote: »

I think that's the match I was in. Polaris City in a LRM boat MDD Revenant. Perfect combo.
    They might as well call that map Overhead Cover in the dark.

After I died I spectated you. I'm assuming you launched a drone near the end to keep your lock on the other guy while he was behind cover?

I think I need to start useing consumables in situations like that.

Not so much the lock as just situational awareness - I was trying to stay behind the Fafnir, and there was a.. Blackjack? running around still that I didnt want running up unannounced. Plus later in n the match, nobodies thinking to shoot them down.

edited November 2018
    I snagged a Gray Death for free from Majestic's stream last night while I was winding down. Looking up builds for it now, but tentatively I've gone with AC10, 4ERSL, RL30, and LFE 265.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    A quick update from tabletop land for anyone wondering about the new sets:
    Update From Catalyst On The New BattleTech Box Sets

Good news, ‘Mech fans! The upcoming BattleTech box sets, including the BattleTech Beginner Box and BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat, are on their way to America right now!

According to Catalyst’s most recent update on the matter, both board games have finally been printed and are on their way. They shipped on October 30th, and are due to arrive on the East Coast somewhere on November 26th.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Only a year after they could have rode the wave of a new Battletech game, and they'll probably be out of stock again by the time Mechwarrior 5 comes out.

Namrok wrote: »
    Only a year after they could have rode the wave of a new Battletech game, and they'll probably be out of print again by the time Mechwarrior 5 comes out.

Fixed your post for you.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Hey @Nips - which division number am I in again? Been putting 3s on my mech for 'reasons' but I figure I should carry the proper identifiers.

You're in the Oosik Irregulars 1st Battalion, 2nd Company, 3rd (Foxtrot) Lance. Conveniently, the next lance up for construction.

So, any amount of Number Salad you'd like to deploy is acceptable!

@Namrok @Betsuni

Oh ye of little faith. CGL has stated repeatedly that they're committed to keeping the new boxes in production and in stock.

The first printing is absolutely going to sell through, so I won't be surprised when there's a out-of-stock lull, but I'm hopeful they'll be on top of it this time.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    I'm just thinking that the rush for boxes will wipe out their first few runs. Then they order more and then they sit. Till that batch sells out and they don't order another big order and MW5 comes out and there will be a demand that isn't met and suddenly people are paying scalping prices.

Which is why I'm hoping to get a box sooner than later for this.

oosik_betsuni.png