As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo] Downwell, Dragon Marked for Death, and Wargroove out now.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    okay fine I did it, but in three parts because there's many avenues for selecting Smash characters

s10cCoE.png
    "Characters I'm actually good at and enjoy playing"

4QXV6ph.png
    "Characters I love and wish I was good at but am not"

fu677ph.png
    "New characters I better like or else I mad"

6F32U1X.png
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    That Evangelion-ass cinematic finally got me interested in Smash Bros

I haven’t played Smash in 15 years

what do I need to know

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    So with the 'Please get a LAN adapter part', are they basically saying 'If you're one of the fairly significant number of people that prefer to play handheld around the house, please don't come online'?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    So with the 'Please get a LAN adapter part', are they basically saying 'If you're one of the fairly significant number of people that prefer to play handheld around the house, please don't come online'?

I played Splatoon 2 just fine on wifi and I'll be damned if I let Sakurai boss me around

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    I have continually had a fine time playing fighting games over wifi and remain convinced people trying to tell me otherwise is just snobbery

6F32U1X.png
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I haven't been following the new Smash character announcements but they put the Piranha Plant in but not Waluigi? Geez.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The Piranha Plant deserves it more than Waluigi.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I haven't been following the new Smash character announcements but they put the Piranha Plant in but not Waluigi? Geez.
    As it should be

CYpGAPn.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Shitheads on the internet ruined Waluigi for smash, as is their want.

Let our poor purple boy rest.

X22wmuF.jpg
    -Tal wrote: »

They've been around since the beginning

Seniority counts in this business

signature-deffo.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

It even has an underground color scheme. Waluigi doesnt have an underground color scheme

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I was really planning to hold off for a bit but the more stuff I see makes me want to go out and pick up that Diablo 3 port tomorrow.

Olivaw wrote: »

They've been around since the beginning

Seniority counts in this business

Its also the first classic Mario baddie to be promoted to a full end boss in Yoshi's Island and it has its own world in Mario 3

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Piranha looks really satisfying to play as because it's swinging around either a) its huge noggin or b) its pot to whack people, and the hits have a lot of oomph. That's one thing I like about this iteration of Smash: the hits have oomph.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    i keep seeing people on social media real down on piranha plant (shocker, people on the internet didn't like a thing) but its really baffling

I still have a few wishlist characters not in but piranha plant still cracks me up. how dead inside does one have to be to not be amused by it or think its "insulting/disappointing" or "wasting a spot"

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    There's so much care and attention to detail put into every fighter so far that none of them are really wasting a slot.

Yes, even with all the Marth jokes.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    oh god yeah what will that look like

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I didn't see if anyone mentioned the Guile assist trophy

Because I like to think anyone who has played street fighter bursted out laughing at that reveal. It's so perfect.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I didn't see if anyone mentioned the Guile assist trophy

Because I like to think anyone who has played street fighter bursted out laughing at that reveal. It's so perfect.

how the fuck are you gonna get in on him, he's unbeatable
    Dq7SqyrWsAYHrQq.jpg:large

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    In sadder news, the man behind Mario's name has passed away: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/seattletimes/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=190623315
    Mario Segale passed away with his family on the 27th of October. He was 84.
    Some more background on Segale: https://kotaku.com/marios-real-life-namesake-mario-segale-dies-at-84-1830154543

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    A thought that occurred to me earlier was that Sakurai directs each of these games as if it will be the last Smash he's ever in charge of, and the effect of that direction is felt more sharply in each entry from Brawl onward. Smash Ultimate is the apotheosis of this ethos; it is everything and the kitchen sink, in that SSBU has as much as they can cram in while still being able to keep it polished to a level of quality in keeping with their vision.

Sakurai said some time ago that Ultimate represented literally as much as could be reasonably put into one game of this kind, and that future installments would need to be scaled back just as a matter of practicality. And you know what? I believe that. The further along we get, the more resource-intensive each individual fighter is, and the more difficult it is to build individuals from scratch or balance around them. Smash can't keep growing forever; at some point, just for the sake of being made, it needs to contract, however temporarily.

So that got me to thinking, too. Suppose that you know that the Smash that comes out for the Switch's successor will be reduced in scale (but this will be compensated for in some way, like all characters being redesigned from the ground up, visually or mechanically or however you please).

How small a roster would you be OK with having in that particular game?

If you had your druthers, how would you dictate what characters are included? How do you handle series representation? Individual characters per series? Third parties? New vs old?

Would you be willing to cut one or even more of the original 12?

I'm curious about y'all's takes on that

dN0T6ur.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

I went back and said "ah shit I should have included Mac. Probably Ridley. I'd like to use Dark Samus while I'm at it. Just full team bad guy maybe. Hm," but I'll leave this how it is for now

dN0T6ur.png
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I love kirby and I love his sakurai's special boy status

BahamutZERO.gif
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Put JoJo in Smash

They already did
    93a.png

don't forget

BgowHI7CUAAp1FA.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Okay I just watched the Direct and Incineroar owns bones

They fuckin pose after every move!

They can summon ring ropes to set up a rebound lariat

Sorry Little Mac, you have been replaced

CYpGAPn.png
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Suplexing > boxing

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Put JoJo in Smash

They already did
    93a.png

Ore No Sutando, [Hyrule Field]

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Put JoJo in Smash

They already did
    93a.png

Ore No Sutando, [Hyrule Field]

Gorogorogoro!

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    A thought that occurred to me earlier was that Sakurai directs each of these games as if it will be the last Smash he's ever in charge of, and the effect of that direction is felt more sharply in each entry from Brawl onward. Smash Ultimate is the apotheosis of this ethos; it is everything and the kitchen sink, in that SSBU has as much as they can cram in while still being able to keep it polished to a level of quality in keeping with their vision.

Sakurai said some time ago that Ultimate represented literally as much as could be reasonably put into one game of this kind, and that future installments would need to be scaled back just as a matter of practicality. And you know what? I believe that. The further along we get, the more resource-intensive each individual fighter is, and the more difficult it is to build individuals from scratch or balance around them. Smash can't keep growing forever; at some point, just for the sake of being made, it needs to contract, however temporarily.

So that got me to thinking, too. Suppose that you know that the Smash that comes out for the Switch's successor will be reduced in scale (but this will be compensated for in some way, like all characters being redesigned from the ground up, visually or mechanically or however you please).

How small a roster would you be OK with having in that particular game?

If you had your druthers, how would you dictate what characters are included? How do you handle series representation? Individual characters per series? Third parties? New vs old?

Would you be willing to cut one or even more of the original 12?

I'm curious about y'all's takes on that

Cut anything but charachters first. Dump some stages or something.

I would rather ultimate just got ported and new characters added on top than have characters cut.

Every character is someone's favorite. Even most derivative boy in the game Chrom has got to have some people super excited to play him.

Remember how many people were upset when Ice Climbers got cut from 4? Even discounting all the assholes who were just mad the couldn't wobble infinite people anymore, it was a lot!

X22wmuF.jpg
    Whatever the final roster size from Melee was, is I think what they could contract the size of the next game down to

Keep the core twelve, add all-new characters from there, with absolutely zero repeats

The only way you could ever begin to follow up Ultimate is by going back and building something completely new from the same foundation

signature-deffo.jpg
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I'm not here to complain about you guys who love the game. I'm trying to understand the interest.

I've played games since Atari2600. I loved fighting games, especially the Capcom series of SF/Crossover games. But when Smash first came out, I just couldnt get into it. it seemed like too simple a game with only two attack buttons, and no 'motions' to trigger specials. I've tried various other smashes as the years passed but still couldnt get into it. I also think my particular gaming generation was a bit out of touch when these games came out, so it was never the nostaligic thing it was for many people.

So I have to wonder, how much is your love for smash just 'because thats what i grew up with', and how much is 'because its an amazing game with deep gameplay'.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    It can be two things

6F32U1X.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Personally I think one thing that's important to keep in mind about Smash is that rather than being a game descended from and refined from brawlers, like Street Fighter style fighting games are, it is instead a game descended from platformers. The question was not "How do we a beat-em-up into a VS game" but "How do we turn a platformer into a VS game". That's part of why you see the control system for smash being what it is - mario's buttons are attack and jump, and in smash two of his buttons are indeed attack and jump. Then they have guard (because when you move to an HP system you need to defend yourself rather than instantly dying to a goomba), and then another attack button for a bit of variety.

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.