As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    Dragon 3N(?) That was on sale: UAC5, 2xML, Rocket15, 365XL... Am I doing it right?

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Bleh rockets

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Redspo0n wrote: »
    Dragon 3N(?) That was on sale: UAC5, 2xML, Rocket15, 365XL... Am I doing it right?

I think the en vogue Dragon-5N build is focused on triple-UAC2.

But I don't Dragon much outside of my AC20/ERPPC Flame.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Redspo0n wrote: »

UAC5 + 2xML is way too little firepower for a heavy mech. My 40 ton Cicada can outgun that thing (and outrun it too).
    3xUAC2+2xML with an XL300 engine is the current meta build.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Triple-UAC2. Chainfire. Pepper your way to high damage scores. I had an LFE laying around, so that's what went into mine.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    chasm wrote: »
    Triple-UAC2. Chainfire. Pepper your way to high damage scores. I had an LFE laying around, so that's what went into mine.

Are you tying your attack to scrollwheel. Otherwise I don't think you'll be able to click fast enough.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    BTW @Nips I love your new avatar. Welcome back Pilot. Can't wait for you to come back and join us once again.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018

Are you tying your attack to scrollwheel. Otherwise I don't think you'll be able to click fast enough.

Chainfire is a trap with AC/2s of any variety. The true path involves a multi-button mouse and binding each AC/2 to a different button to set up a real MAX ROF rotation.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The Dragon has some really strong uac quirks you'd want to abuse.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Three firing groups all set on chain fire.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I turned on chainfire, and split the binding to groups 1 and 2.

• Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    BTW @Nips I love your new avatar. Welcome back Pilot. Can't wait for you to come back and join us once again.

If nips is back, I've got no excuse then. Any good skill tree guide? I have so many points to spend...

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    Skill tree video complete with explanations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL7iVDSmy7A

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tigliss wrote: »

If nips is back, I've got no excuse then. Any good skill tree guide? I have so many points to spend...

My recommendation, look up a few of baraduls videos. Search for "Moltenmetal" and whatever mech you use. He posts 1 video per day, every video from sort fo the Video 350 point or so shows his Skill point picks and he explains why he does that.
    He almost always picks the auxiliary tree though, since he uses a lot of UAVs, cool shots and artillery strikes. I don't, so I don't take more than a single value point in auxiliary (giving you an extra consumable), and IMHO he underestimates the power of Heat Containment (in the operations tree).

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

I mean...I'm not back back. But I'm definitely back in full spirit form. Y'know, like whisky. I took a brief dalliance over in CF for some PbP, but now I've come back home (at least, in avatar form).

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

I mean...I'm not back back. But I'm definitely back in full spirit form. Y'know, like whisky. I took a brief dalliance over in CF for some PbP, but now I've come back home (at least, in avatar form).

Like a Long Tom, that's close enough for me.

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Nips wrote: »

its safe to say, many of us will be back on the 27th at the very least

edit: i missed the PM about the mechs. :(

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    >.>
    ncttpv0l4ftr.jpg

I'm getting better at waiting on the brawl instead of making it a brawl, and then 'focusing' the splat on the weaker sections more effectively - Also, first kill was a Deathstrike who, for all intents, should have ruined me, but apparently couldn't aim under pressure when I didn't back down and just kept blasting his legs off. I don't think he realized what I was doing until he was down a leg.

As Baradul would say, "Dah build looks like dis". RGH-1C, XL300, LBX10, SRM+A16, 2xLMG. *splat, thud, dakkadakka* "Your arms off!" (No it isn't!)

Rolled in behind a timberwolf that was engaged with our *mostly stripped* Kodiak and saved him... then he jokingly called me a killstealer. Then had a pirahna tried to clean him up and ran between us as he did so... and it was another one of those "Where'd that Pirahna go?" moments. The partial volley left is that team damage to the Kodiak, LOL

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • Options
    Yeah, waiting for the brawl to get rolling instead of forcing it is still something I'm working on. When I am patient, I usually clean up with my Onion IIC-A. When I'm not, I die horribly after one kill.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I wish Flashpoint would hurry up and come out so we could talk Battletech again.

(i tried to play MechWarrior but christ on a cracker I am so so so so bad.)

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    How do you join a unit? I want to play some of this faction fight stuff and the most efficient way seems to be the mercenary route.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    How do you join a unit? I want to play some of this faction fight stuff and the most efficient way seems to be the mercenary route.

They need to send you an invite. So we have our very own Oosiks/Iron Oosiks running IS/Clan respectively.
    If you don't want to join a PA clan you can check out the faction forums, where each faction have a recruitment subforum for companies involved with that particular faction.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

Unit or Clan/House? I believe you can just join a Clan/House as a merc or something like that right?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Overwhelming vote for Polar Highlands

Right off the bat we get a person who gets self destructed and banned. Another DC's.

The enemy team consists of an assault heavy group with everybody with LRMs. That was pretty much game over before anybody even shot.

• Options
    People bitch about it in Quick Play, but Faction Play is all lurm all the time. Whole drop decks of lurm.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Hey someone mentioned a DRG-5N build a couple days ago. Could they share it with the class?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I use Baradul's build DRG-5N

Edit: armor maxed except for left arm which is stripped, Smurfy does not like my tablet

https://youtu.be/KyzDToNWrQw

Nobody on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Hmm battletech is on sale for $26 according to is there a deal. That sounds like a pretty good price. Then again, isn't some DLC about to drop? I wonder how it'll drop/go on sale after.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    That's a good price

• Options
    Man, when Faction Play is good its amazing but a bad Faction Play match is just the fucking worst.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    RickRude wrote: »
    Hmm battletech is on sale for $26 according to is there a deal. That sounds like a pretty good price. Then again, isn't some DLC about to drop? I wonder how it'll drop/go on sale after.

Use coupon code

BLUEWINTER

and get an additional 20% off if you get it at voidu

I assume they're reputable found them on isthereadeal.com .

So it's like 18 euros, whatever that is in USD.

*EDIT** $20.84. Bought

RickRude on
  • Options
    Hrm, I already have the engine and most of the components for the 5 MPL WLF-2

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    MWO: Why can you not tinker in the mech lab while searching for a match what even is this?!
    Also, I can't seem to figure out how to add more ammo to my Mad Dog.
    Also, I am real bad. I keep trying to flank with Light mechs then after I poke an LRM boat in the back once with a Llas it just turns and murders me.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    MWO: Why can you not tinker in the mech lab while searching for a match what even is this?!
    Also, I am real bad. I keep trying to flank with Light mechs then after I poke an LRM boat in the back once with a Llas it just turns and murders me.

Yeah, that's a pet peeve of mine as well. Lots of opportunity to let you actually do things during loading screens that is just wasted. I find it very frustrating that there isn't more useful information during the ready up sequence, like maybe a full screen map with 'gasp' drop coordinates on it.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    I’ll admit to having mechlab alpha open in another window while tooling with design options for whatever mech I want next while waiting for everybody to ready up and drop.

• Options
    edited November 2018

Just advice from a fellow Light pilot. Wait till the enemy team engages or launches LRMs on that target you locked. That way that LRM boat will think it is just getting pelted by LRMs instead of your LLs. Also aim for his arms or legs instead of torsos. A good pilot will realize that he's getting hit in the back and turn on you.

Personally, after I hit "enter drop ship" I just alt-tab and surf the forums or websites till the icon on my tray flashes indicating that I need to pick a map/game type.

Edit: Regarding your ammo problem. Are you at max tonnage or out of crit spaces? Those are two easy indicators why you can't add more ammo. Otherwise, it is an UI issue which gets resolved if you remove something and add it back in. Or sometimes, just rebooting the stupid program.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    I popped the MPL off the arms of the Mad Dog, so I had plenty of weight left, and couldn't find a place to click to add anything besides the armor buttons. I couldn't even find how to add the lasers back on.

• Options
    Sorry, I'm assuming you know where to add in the new gear. I'm guessing you don't know that there is a right "window" depending on your screen resolution where you can add in more equipment from tabs and drop-downs. It might be collapsed and you will have to click on the drop-down.

I'll try to go find pictures to help you figure it out.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

If you allow it to turn on and murder you, then you're too passive. Lights are all about movement and your reaction should be determined by your speed and weaponry.
    Once an enemy starts to turn you need to.

1. GTFO and then get back in from a different direction or when he's no longer looking in your direction (best for slightly larger light with longer ranged weapons. Bonus points for ECM).
    2. Strafing action. If he turns right, then you go full speed and pass him on the left side. When he has completed his turn you should ideally be gone. Best on a fast mech (with like 125+ speed. Preferably 140+)
    3. The anklebiter. Get in and dance. Kinda like the strafing action, except it never ends. When he keeps turning you turn with him, always staying behind and just keep shooting (but watching your heat). If he gets assist from an ally or gets his back up against a wall, then you disengage, but against more newbish assaults you can get yourself a free assault mech kill. This is easier in a 20-25 tonner which has the acceleration and turning radius to do this.

If you're in a 30+ ton light with armor quirks (like a urbie) you can do the circle run where you just keep running circles around him (and turning in the opposite direction if he gets wise). Not as efficient as the anklebiting, but it reduces his opportunities to strike back. Watch out if your opponent has ER PPCs, Snub-nosed PPCs, LBXs or really heavy calibre ACs (those mean that he only needs a single good hit to hurt you bad). Enemy pulses are so so, but beams will generally just glance off doing minimal damage. Also, avoid this if he has a lot of beams in his arms. A really good pilot can use his arm mobility to keep even beams on track, and that's bad.