As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] old thread is old

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Noggin wrote: »
    Sounds like that’s it?

Blizzard is THE WORST at managing hype.

Wait what??? What happened? I was not in Internet world so missed out.

Diablo Mobile was announced.

Cinematic trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtSmAwpVHsA

Gameplay trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab2-WW1skOM

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Getting bodied on the twitter replies though, would not like to be their social manager

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Sounds like that’s it?

Out of all the things people possibly expected, it was none of them.

It’s a mobile game.

“This is an exciting time, we have multiple projects” = switch and mobile. That’s it.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Getting bodied on the twitter replies though, would not like to be their social manager
    To be fair, they would be getting flooded no matter what they announced, unless they announced a Diablo 4, a Diablo 2 remaster, a Diablo MMO, and a Diablo CCG, "and they're all out now, for free, already added to your B.net accounts".

(This is the most disappointing announcement though, don't get me wrong.)

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Sounds like that’s it?

I disagree, Blizzard is really good at generating hype usually. This is an outlier, and a pretty unfortunate one.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    This is the page for it. It actually looks decent there, and has new story to bridge d2 to d3. Pricing and how much microtransactions it has will be key to me getting it or not. Might be a fun tablet game sitting around on the couch (for those without a switch).

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I think it's intriguing that they specifically call it massively multiplayer. Followed by a screen with 10 players on it. Probably that means seamlessly coming across other players in the world rather than generating personal instances.

• Options
    Bullhead wrote: »
    This is the page for it. It actually looks decent there, and has new story to bridge d2 to d3. Pricing and how much microtransactions it has will be key to me getting it or not. Might be a fun tablet game sitting around on the couch (for those without a switch).

"In Diablo III: Reaper of Souls® the nephalem stop Malthael, Archangel of Death, and meet their fate."

Kind of an odd thing to say about the ending of RoS. I wonder if it's a hint that something bad will have happened to them in D4?

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    I think it's intriguing that they specifically call it massively multiplayer. Followed by a screen with 10 players on it. Probably that means seamlessly coming across other players in the world rather than generating personal instances.

From the link I just added - they indicate you'll have town hubs where you can interact with people (possibly ala hellgate:london?), that's proabably the MM part.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options

Or!

Massively multiplayer auction house.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Sounds like that’s it?

Out of all the things people possibly expected, it was none of them.

It’s a mobile game.

“This is an exciting time, we have multiple projects” = switch and mobile. That’s it.

Hey, I did call some sort of mobile Diablo game but figured it was D2 ported. This seems sorta like it though and will check it out. Pre-registered just to see.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Bullhead wrote: »

From the link I just added - they indicate you'll have town hubs where you can interact with people (possibly ala hellgate:london?), that's proabably the MM part.

It says you'll meet them as you wander Sanctuary, so that much would be seamless multiplayer for sure. Probably those are the open world segments and the dungeons are instanced.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I have to assume this means it won't have any sort of offline single-player, huh? That makes sense, I just always wish I could have these kinds of games to play when I'm on the subway with no reception.

• Options
    WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    I wonder what happened to the Witch Doctor. He's the only D3 class not represented here.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Waveform wrote: »
    I wonder what happened to the Witch Doctor. He's the only D3 class not represented here.

blizzard probably realized he was wildly racist

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

Plus they probably figured they can drop it now that they have Necro to do the same "job".

Heh, well this thought just was said here at my house. Wonder if this is the future of the Diablo franchise. Mobile cash grab game.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Sounds like that’s it?

I disagree, Blizzard is really good at generating hype usually. This is an outlier, and a pretty unfortunate one.

That’s fair. The august video and contest really made it seem like something bigger was happening, and i’m sure still is eventually, but the expectations were way off.

More positively- I do like that it covers the lead up to 3, could be interesting.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Out of curiosity, I wonder if this might cannibalize part of their Diablo 3 Switch audience. Isn't one of the perks of the Switch that you can take it with you, thus making it kind of mobile? And if people were eyeballing a Switch + Diablo 3 to make Diablo more portable, having it on their phone instead might dissuade them from going with the Switch option.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, I wonder if this might cannibalize part of their Diablo 3 Switch audience. Isn't one of the perks of the Switch that you can take it with you, thus making it kind of mobile? And if people were eyeballing a Switch + Diablo 3 to make Diablo more portable, having it on their phone instead might dissuade them from going with the Switch option.

D3 is a pretty old game at this point, so I think people know whether they want to play that game specifically or not. And Immortal is going to be quite a different style of game than even D3 is anyway.

• Options
    I think the difference in market size makes it a moot point. There are literally billions of activated smartphones out in the world, and 22m Switches.

Losing some of their potential Switch players just isn't going to affect their bottom line.

• Options
    I think the difference in market size makes it a moot point. There are literally billions of activated smartphones out in the world, and 22m Switches.

Losing some of their potential Switch players just isn't going to affect their bottom line.

Ehh...maybe I'm old-school, but I tend to think that it's not a great idea to have two products from the same company that compete with each other.

But, then again, maybe they're not directly competing with each other. Maybe they're complementing gameplay experiences.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    mobile game?
    yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options

Ehh...maybe I'm old-school, but I tend to think that it's not a great idea to have two products from the same company that compete with each other.

But, then again, maybe they're not directly competing with each other. Maybe they're complementing gameplay experiences.

Yep, you're old. Kids these days want it on their phones and not on a "console".

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Those billions of phones don't necessarily belong to gamers and many are not remotely capable of running games like this.

That said, I think there's little chance of cannibalizing sales. Fans of the series are gonna get it on switch regardless of a mobile phone version.

I think the person who said this is for the Korean market is mostly correct.
    This is for markets that have consumers heavily invested in cutting edge phones & games. Tired of candy crush making money where they aren't I guess.

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    We're getting more Diablo on top of this so I'm very happy.I think this will be the first mobile game I actually get into.

Even with Blizzard basically saying "yeah we're working on what you really want, but we're still gonna show you some cool stuff" at blizzcon"I totally expected this reaction but I'm hyped.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Those billions of phones don't necessarily belong to gamers and many are not remotely capable of running games like this.

That said, I think there's little chance of cannibalizing sales. Fans of the series are gonna get it on switch regardless of a mobile phone version.

This is for markets that have consumers heavily invested in cutting edge phones & games. Tired of candy crush making money where they aren't I guess.

You say that as if the US is not such a market.

• Options
    OOooooooooof!

Actual boos at that question:

Q: "Is this going to be strictly on mobile or are there plans to have it come to PC as well."

A: "We have no plans for this to be on PC."

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Oddly I'd probably be more excited for Immortal if it were more like FFRK/FFBE or Dokkan Battle: Turn based combat or something. Do pulls for loot and whatnot. But playing Dragalia Lost on my phone is already painful and there's a LOT less tapping going on in that game.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I don't usually buy into "cannibalize your own audience" type arguments, but in this case I'm definitely in agreement. I don't think it'll be by any large amount, but enough to consider.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    How I feel about this is probably exactly how a lot of other people felt when they announced Fallout 76. EDIT: So I suddenly have a much deeper respect for the other side of that coin (as I thought 76 sounded fun and really really liked the beta yesterday).

I.E. this is probably the last thing I could have possibly wanted from the Diablo franchise, and am actively annoyed that will even exist.

Depending on how soon "soon" means, we will know to a much greater detail how much influence Activision has at Blizzard these days. Watching the trailer and looking at the website, how actively they're avoiding talking about loot and such indicates to me that it is going to be all of the microtransactions. Just an actively offensive amount, with the entire design of the game around them.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    it's crazy to me that the remaster we got was war 3 when there is a perfectly running version of war3 that you can get from blizzard right now. It could have been War1+2 and probalby should have been OOOOOR Diablo 2 remaster. but war 3? come on. plus a mobile game very few fans of the series are gonna want?

cooome ooooon

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

You say that as if the US is not such a market.

I don't believe it is.

I think there is a difference between the north American market and the Korean market for this kind of "app"

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Oddly I'd probably be more excited for Immortal if it were more like FFRK/FFBE or Dokkan Battle: Turn based combat or something. Do pulls for loot and whatnot. But playing Dragalia Lost on my phone is already painful and there's a LOT less tapping going on in that game.

Yeah I bounced hard off of Dragalia Lost because of the controls :(

• Options
    I think with a game like this - a fairly traditional genre that's adapted to a touch screen - the target audience is almost entirely people who don't play games on PC/console much if at all. If they did, they would rather play a game like this there, since the mobile version is watered down and harder to control in comparison.

The type of mobile game that might also appeal to those types of players are spinoffs that don't suffer from the format, like Fallout Shelter for example. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't do something like that instead. For example something like a Diablo "demake" roguelike would have been perfectly suited to mobile and probably would have gotten some hype.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Where witch doctor tho

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    I think Fortnite is a good example here.

The mobile version is far and away the worst version of the game (screen size, controls, etc). The experience is better on PC or any console. And yet, Fortnite mobile is now the #1 grossing mobile game.

This tells me there are a huge number of people who literally have no gaming platform besides their phone, who are ready and willing to play normal "core" games on it.

Diablo Immortal is for them.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I think with a game like this - a fairly traditional genre that's adapted to a touch screen - the target audience is almost entirely people who don't play games on PC/console much if at all. If they did, they would rather play a game like this there, since the mobile version is watered down and harder to control in comparison.

The type of mobile game that might also appeal to those types of players are spinoffs that don't suffer from the format, like Fallout Shelter for example. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't do something like that instead. For example something like a Diablo "demake" roguelike would have been perfectly suited to mobile and probably would have gotten some hype.

It's not that I don't think some executive would read that and think "yeah, that makes sense! The target players we want in our new game in a franchise is people who don't play the franchise, and not people who do!"

It's just that it doesn't actually make sense.

I've been a vegetarian for a decade now. If I went to investors and said "Listen, I want to open a vegetarian restaurant, but I only want to serve meat eaters, not vegetarians." they'd be insane to give me money. I guess, sadly, you'd probably find someone to give you money for it; but that doesn't mean it makes any sense or is a good idea.

Whatever I suppose. It's not like this isn't a new discussion as it relates to games. Corporations seem to really believe that expanding the audience of a franchise means throwing players who are fans under the bus. I suppose occasionally it actually works, if even briefly. But it is really not the norm, and is really weird that it keeps happening. I think it just stems from the idea that no amount of money is ever enough money. They could have made this game a console version and kept a lot more people on board. Hell, maybe even another expansion for D3 to tide people over until D4. Instead they decide to go for a platform that no one asked for, and what appears to likely be a monetization format that customers actively despise, and do so more every passing day. Because having, despite controversy, one of the most successful franchises and games in history just wasn't enough. All the money or nothing. And if it fails, the players/fans will be blamed for it. :rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options

It's not that I don't think some executive would read that and think "yeah, that makes sense! The target players we want in our new game in a franchise is people who don't play the franchise, and not people who do!"

It's just that it doesn't actually make sense.

I've been a vegetarian for a decade now. If I went to investors and said "Listen, I want to open a vegetarian restaurant, but I only want to serve meat eaters, not vegetarians." they'd be insane to give me money. I guess, sadly, you'd probably find someone to give you money for it; but that doesn't mean it makes any sense or is a good idea.

Whatever I suppose. It's not like this isn't a new discussion as it relates to games. Corporations seem to really believe that expanding the audience of a franchise means throwing players who are fans under the bus. I suppose occasionally it actually works, if even briefly. But it is really not the norm, and is really weird that it keeps happening. I think it just stems from the idea that no amount of money is ever enough money. They could have made this game a console version and kept a lot more people on board. Hell, maybe even another expansion for D3 to tide people over until D4. Instead they decide to go for a platform that no one asked for, and what appears to likely be a monetization format that customers actively despise, and do so more every passing day. Because having, despite controversy, one of the most successful franchises and games in history just wasn't enough. All the money or nothing. And if it fails, the players/fans will be blamed for it. :rotate:

You say it's not the norm but it's 100% absolutely the norm. Mobile versions of AAA games are so common that Blizzard were the weird ones for never doing it.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

It's hard to take the witch doctor seriously when you fight the archangel of death and the whole fight goes on with a fish biting deaths nose. Just kinda a different feel than the rest of the classes.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I think Fortnite is a good example here.

The mobile version is far and away the worst version of the game (screen size, controls, etc). The experience is better on PC or any console. And yet, Fortnite mobile is now the #1 grossing mobile game.

This tells me there are a huge number of people who literally have no gaming platform besides their phone, who are ready and willing to play normal "core" games on it.

Diablo Immortal is for them.

Yup I am not sure if diablo immortal is a game for me but there are a lot of people stuck in long commutes or simply don't have a normal gaming system where having a diablo game on their mobile phone could be pretty big. Hell look at all those action RPGs on phones they are all diablo clones for the most part so why shouldn't blizzard come and take their place with an actual diablo game. That it is not just a port of an existing game is a plus in its favor too I think draw at least some hesitant folks in to see the story at least.