As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Incontrol may be understanding remote pressure to than the players coming up with this wild as fuck lines has to be tough

wat

he says really weird stuff sometimes. as someone who also does the same, sometimes it can be taxing to keep trying to one up yourself

edit: also typos be i was laughing and on my phone...whoops

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    the very rare day that goes basically exactly as you'd expect

wonder if we're really gonna get the finals that are destined

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »
    the very rare day that goes basically exactly as you'd expect

wonder if we're really gonna get the finals that are destined

well not now

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Holy shit, the ASL Season 6 finals were increeeedible.

• Options
    i downloaded that blizzard esports app. kinda useful

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

What is that?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

What is that?

since im using it for SC it provides scores and schedules dunno if it does more for hots/hearthstone/overwatch. i wish WC3 was in it though

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular

Will it tell me how horrible I am at said eSport?

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »
    Will it tell me how horrible I am at said eSport?

doesn't your mmr handle that?

• Options
    regarding the grand finals
    holy shit. serral is a mother fucking monster

• Options
    There is some interesting information in the latest pylon show (#26). For example Starcraft is growing

• Options
    As in, sc2, or bw?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    StarCraft 2's viewership (for WCS Globals) was up 60% compared to last year.

• Options
    Part of that was, I'm sure, Serral's presence. Showing people that the game isn't just for Korea has got to be healthy for viewership.

• Options
    regarding the grand finals
    holy shit. serral is a mother fucking monster

His AVG apm that last game was 457.

Holy shit.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Part of that was, I'm sure, Serral's presence. Showing people that the game isn't just for Korea has got to be healthy for viewership.

That subject came up on the show as well, specifically talking about region locking

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    i feel more "into" this homestory cup. i dudno why but the previous ones i never cared about but this one seems more entertaining to me

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    re47maev3iw6.png

be honest, did anyone here even know that medivacs couldn't do this until now?

• Options
    re47maev3iw6.png

Supposedly shield batteries only just started being able to regen shields for gravitoned units as well so I guess it was a universal thing?

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    re47maev3iw6.png

I didn't, but surely the pros did?

• Options
    Seems less like a balance fix and more like a fix to something that wasn't intended in the first place. It seems a bit of an edge case.

• Options
    Honestly this concern never entered my mind, but apparently a lot of people were worried

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Hopped back on starcraft after getting my new computer. The game looks great on higher settings. Also did some 1v1 ranked cold after like 2 years of not playing the game. Still managed to get into platinum, and then won a few more games. Good to know i can still just macro people as zerg and win through brute force lol.

• Options
    Wow, that's pretty good.

I have such fear of jumping back on after so long.... I don't think my bones / tendons could take the pressure anymore at my ripe old (not yet 40) age.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Playing on a desktop keyboard is so much more comfortable than my cramped laptop. Granted i only just turned 31, but i could still play and not struggle too much. Though ive definitely noticed im a bit slower than i used to be.

Id say just slam on in there. So what if you get placed lower than you used to be, not like many of us are pushing high grandmaster. Sometimes you just want to build a bunch of battlecruisers and see a big battle, and lower tanks let you do that. Ive also been playing some company of heroes 2, the apm requirements are way lower. Unfortunately im super terrible at wc3 though.

• Options
    See my style was never making big armies.

It always involved 12 zerglings and a proxy hatch.

Too much apm.
    :(

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    See my style was never making big armies.

It always involved 12 zerglings and a proxy hatch.

Too much apm cowardice.
    :(

• Options
    edited January 2019
    There's a cool little demonstration of DeepMind (Google's AI that beat the best humans in Go a year or two ago) playing SC2 going on now:

It is already 5-0 and 5-0 against two pros (TLO and... someone, a Protoss). Neither pro expected that haha. There were a bit of cheats going on, in that it could "see" everything in it's vision at once. And they limited its APM. It's also running on a previous version of SC2 just because they had to access the binaries a bit more directly.

Right now, they are about to play the new version of the AI which limits it's POV to the camera, and it's playing another PvP vs MaNa.

No one knows who will win! Exciting!

(This will be from Mana's POV because they don't have an observer mode in this version of the game.)

Game 1:
    So Mana was really behind the first chunk of the game, getting out-macro'd and losing a bunch of probes. However, Mana countered with Warp Prisms dropping Immortals in the backline, and that seems to have confused AlphaStar (this version of the DeepMind AI). It really didn't know how to deal with that at all. I bet some of that was due to it not having as much awareness with the new restrictions?

And that brings AlphaStar's first loss!

Oh I guess they were only streaming one game. There may be other replays online at www.deepmind.com? Dunno. It was fun for that bit though.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I was gonna watch more of that, but they said all the games were PvP. Yeah, no thanks. I mean, I get it that it's hard enough programming for one race, but they should have at least done Terran. I guess Protoss does require the least micro, so it's a safer starting race. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I was gonna watch more of that, but they said all the games were PvP. Yeah, no thanks. I mean, I get it that it's hard enough programming for one race, but they should have at least done Terran. I guess Protoss does require the least micro, so it's a safer starting race. :)

They just asked about that, "are we going to see AlphaStar [the name of this version of the DeepMind AI] play the other races?"

"Absolutely, and this can maybe finally answer the question of 'which race is the best?'" :P

There was nothing unique with the programming to Protoss, it would just have to learn the others.

Steam profile
  • Options

Oh no no, Protoss is by far the easiest race.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    SorCSorC Registered User regular

Says a guy who's race has built in map hacks :P

11776-1.png
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    "Pros" and its all foreigners? Playing Stacraft 2 and it has no fog of war? Underwhelming.

• Options
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    "Pros" and its all foreigners? Playing Stacraft 2 and it has no fog of war? Underwhelming.

It had fog of war, it just could see everything in it's vision. It didn't have to change the camera view to see things.

And it's actually pretty freaking impressive from a technical perspective, since it wasn't just using 2000 APM micro to cheat to win or something :P . Non-perfect information is tough!

Steam profile
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

you've misunderstood what they meant by seeing everything in its vision.

It had normal fog of war. But it didn't need to have it's camera positioned over areas it could see in order for it to know what was happening there, unlike a human who would need to actually go and look at the spot.

Also, you've clearly not been paying attention to Starcraft recently. Foreigners are on or near par with Korean pros, so maybe take your tired memes and go away.

• Options
    Actually also pros spend a large part of the game looking at the minimap instead of the screen.

Those vision "heat maps" during the IGN leagues were very telling.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

universally true in anything called 'starcraft'

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Actually also pros spend a large part of the game looking at the minimap instead of the screen.

Those vision "heat maps" during the IGN leagues were very telling.

Yeah, minimap awareness is a major thing for professional gamers - they just have to spend about a tenth of a second and one APM to focus the camera when something appears on there that needs attention.

• Options
    I mean, they were clearly exhibition matches set up to best show off the successes of their progress with DeepMind. It's still absolutely crazy what they've been able to accomplish with the AI. I did also appreciate how candid they were with what specific environment they had built, to show us how far they still have to go. StarCraft is a very hard game for a computer to comprehend.

As hinted at by their commentary, I am actually a tiny bit curious to see if some of the seemingly silly things the computer decides to do end up being some bizarrely insightful, cutting-through-the-bullshit style efficiencies that work their way into the meta in some fashion. Maybe not even the stuff it did today, but something it might invent in the future.