As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    I imagine everyone gets a day like that every once in a while, especially if your schedule jumps all over the place. Sleep and eat, always move forward

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Tomorrow is an all out set at 90%

Fun

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Hit 495 for 4. Felt like 5 was there if I was willing to get ugly but played it safe

• Options
    Basic conjugate method ebook up on elitefts, written by Jim wendler and Dave Tate back from '08 if anyone is interested in reading it

https://www.elitefts.com/coaching-logs/free-basic-conjugate-training-manual/

Which kinda goes along with another article that got sent to my feeds

https://barbend.com/reasons-not-progressing-gym/

Which, tl;dr, says to stop fucking around making big changes all the time.

Either way, decided to make today a volume day. Small increases 5-10 pounds to a working set weight. Trying to get a good overload for the end of the week. Ended up with around 7500# total for front squats and 4500 for db bench. Hoping going dumbbell will help with my sticking point right at the transition between pec and tricep. We'll see

• Options
    Never bought from them before, but I've heard good things from here and the price can't be beat. If anyone has a referral code for myprotein.com I'll put it in so you get whatever the rewards for that are.

Also, if you're looking for protein powder they're selling a 5.5 lb chocolate flavored "blend" of whey for $25 (21g per 30g serving), which, even if it tastes like shit is too good a deal for me to pass up

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Never bought from them before, but I've heard good things from here and the price can't be beat. If anyone has a referral code for myprotein.com I'll put it in so you get whatever the rewards for that are.

Also, if you're looking for protein powder they're selling a 5.5 lb chocolate flavored "blend" of whey for $25 (21g per 30g serving), which, even if it tastes like shit is too good a deal for me to pass up

I’ve had pretty good luck with the flavors from MP, well, except raspberry/licorice BCAAs. That taste like raspberry flavored crap.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    I don’t know if it was the massive consumption of beer this weekend at a wedding and several hours in a vehicle on Saturday and Sunday or what but good lord the weights feel heavy today

• Options
    There's nothing quite like picking up the bar or a single plate and going "well, this session is going to be awful"

You already know it, but Pedialyte or Gatorade are miracle workers for adult beverage related dehydration. But even with that, lifting after a weekend with drinking has never been a great time for me

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    So due to travelling, injury, and illness i haven't been at a gym in over a month.

Moreover the injury part hasn't really cleared up and i don't get to see an orthopedic surgeon till the end of november, but i'm already feeling the itch to get back at the gym.

I figure since most lifts that put pressure on my wrist are a bad ideas (also known as all the lifts I do) are ill advised till I have a doc tell me otherwise the best I'm getting right now is like cardio and maybe some core work (inverted crunches, and hypertensions). Then I remembered zercher squats don't use your wrist at all! Then I learned zercher squats are fuckin brutal. I only did naked bar, pushing some volume while I work out the form, but I could feel even that at the end. I think zercher pause squats are in my future... because I hate myself.

So even if i can't do anything else i can at least zercher till all my wrist shit works itself out.

Sleep on
  • Options
    There's nothing quite like picking up the bar or a single plate and going "well, this session is going to be awful"

You already know it, but Pedialyte or Gatorade are miracle workers for adult beverage related dehydration. But even with that, lifting after a weekend with drinking has never been a great time for me

I’m usually pretty good about hydration after my debauchery.

Id be willing to bet it’s more about cumulative fatigue and less than optimal recovery on the weekend.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    So due to travelling, injury, and illness i haven't been at a gym in over a month.

Moreover the injury part hasn't really cleared up and i don't get to see an orthopedic surgeon till the end of november, but i'm already feeling the itch to get back at the gym.

I figure since most lifts that put pressure on my wrist are a bad ideas (also known as all the lifts I do) are ill advised till I have a doc tell me otherwise the best I'm getting right now is like cardio and maybe some core work (inverted crunches, and hypertensions). Then I remembered zercher squats don't use your wrist at all! Then I learned zercher squats are fuckin brutal. I only did naked bar, pushing some volume while I work out the form, but I could feel even that at the end. I think zercher pause squats are in my future... because I hate myself.

So even if i can't do anything else i can at least zercher till all my wrist shit works itself out.

I'm guessing you don't have a safety squat bar in your gym? Those are great for shoulder/arm issues.

• Options
    @Sleep while you're injured and recovering, machines are your friend. May not be as great as a bar and a plate, but they'll get the job done and it's much better than doing nothing at all. A lot times you can modify your hand/arm placement to take the load off your wrists

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »

I'm guessing you don't have a safety squat bar in your gym? Those are great for shoulder/arm issues.

Nah no safety bars here unfortunately.

Also I think dig that the zercher gets bicep and trap work in.

I did get some vertical butterflies in as well, cause I needed to find some kind of chest exercise I could keep doing without leveraging my wrist.

• Options
    Deload on squats. Second to last rep of the fifth set and I nearly folded like a pocket knife. It was just a bad rep, but still. Back down to 250 and I'll work my way back up.

It's the thing that hit me today. Outside of that 315 zercher last week, I really haven't had a heavy lift on my back or in my hands for a few months, my CNS doesn't know how to deal with it anymore. The program is great to get reps and volume, but everything on the bar is the heaviest lift I've done since early July. And stronglifts has been super effective for me, I know my squat, bench, and ohp have all improved, and I just feel way stronger as well but not for heavy singles.

I dunno, maybe it's time to switch up programs again, go 5/3/1 and get some heavy triples and singles going so my body knows how they feel again for a cycle or two before going back to stronglifts for another couple months.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You often don't need to switch programs that frequently. If you're still seeing good results and not burning out you can often stick with a program for a good 5-6 months as an intermediate lifter. If you improve your 1RMs your 5RM and 10RM will go up.

• Options
    Don’t be scared to hang out with some heavy singles every now and then

• Options
    That might just be it. I really like my already fairly heavily modified 5x5 rotating through variations, but maybe doing a week of triples and singles every month will keep my body more capable for those heavy singles. Like, I know my bench capability has gone up, but I put two plates on today just to feel it and squeezed out the two slowest singles of my life. But then I dropped back down to 180 and ran through my 5x5 reps out like the bar was empty (last week 175 was feeling heavy)

• Options
    Generally every three weeks for in-season athletes I try to hit 85%+ for 1-3 sets of 1-3 reps since the volume is low and the intensity is just right for keeping shit moving well.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Between pulling my hamstring, then pulling my calf, and just being super busy I've lifted maybe 3 times in the last 1-2 months.

Went this morning ready to get back on track, and hurt my back

God damn it

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    I'm coming around to heavy triples as well, you have to work to get them moving, but its doable and makes regular days just seem not so bad.

• Options
    :bro: to both of those posts. Worked to some heavier singles and doubles today. A lot of it really is just feeling the weight again, felt good kinda reassuring.

Ordered a pair of fat grips (knockoffs, the slightly rounded ones, hoping they hit the middle ground between a sphere and an axle grip), figured it was about time to stuff something new in my gym bag

• Options
    Apparently Konstantin Konstantinovs has passed away - he was 40.

An absolute monster in his prime.

https://youtu.be/wh-ikyBAQr8

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    No way, that sucks. That guy was a huge inspiration when I was starting to lift and watching his stuff is still hella motivational now.

• Options
    In honor of KK I started the Coan-Philippi program tonight, I can keep up with a program that's got one strict day a week even if I'm having issues sticking to more.

• Options
    Squat max tomorrow. Time to get weird

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Still chugging along through this program. Had to repeat a week because I couldn't quite hit a time goal but I managed to squeak by the next time round and officially passed the first month benchmark. I think I've got two more months to go (barring any repeat weeks) and then I think I might take a month or two to ease back into heavy weight training to get back close to my previous operating level. Once I do I may repeat the whole program to hit better times/weight to try and really get shredded.

Like, I haven't barbell benched or done a deadlift in over a month so I imagine its gonna be a shit show whenever I do jump back in. Honestly though, right now my focus is more the aesthetic side of things so I'm not too worried about getting nasty with the weight.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Hi friends, long time no see.

I ran a half marathon yesterday (1:48:03) in order to qualify for 2019's Pike's Peak Marathon. My attention is thus turning to "off season" training. Most of my enduro work will come from backcountry skiing and intervals over the winter, and I am giving myself a long time after that to build up a strong aerobic base (hope to break 50 mi/wk).

Obviously I want to go into the spring being strong and aesthetic. I weigh 160 at the moment and will probably race at 155 but don't gaining some weight over the next five months of lifting. I want to get my squat and deadlift back north of 400/500 before I start ramping up mileage.

I know it's not really this thread's wheelhouse, but does anyone have thoughts on off-season S&C training for someone in my situation?

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Methuselah wrote: »

I ran a half marathon yesterday (1:48:03) in order to qualify for 2019's Pike's Peak Marathon. My attention is thus turning to "off season" training. Most of my enduro work will come from backcountry skiing and intervals over the winter, and I am giving myself a long time after that to build up a strong aerobic base (hope to break 50 mi/wk).

Obviously I want to go into the spring being strong and aesthetic. I weigh 160 at the moment and will probably race at 155 but don't gaining some weight over the next five months of lifting. I want to get my squat and deadlift back north of 400/500 before I start ramping up mileage.

I know it's not really this thread's wheelhouse, but does anyone have thoughts on off-season S&C training for someone in my situation?

Congratulations!

Honestly over 5 months you can pretty much run any kind of programming. You have any idea of your max numbers now?

Also, i’d start programming backwards from the marathon to whenever you plan to start. Block periodization wouldn’t be the worst plan at least for the first cycle to build up some training volume, but the sky is the limit as far as what you want to do.

I’ve done some programming for cross country and they get closer to 80-90 miles a week in-season, but they’re typically not pushing an appreciable load and XC coaches are weird the minute you put a barbell in their athletes hands even in off-season, when they should be lifting.

On a side note: hit 252.5kg on my squat max today, roughly 5kg PR.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Methuselah wrote: »

Congratulations!

Honestly over 5 months you can pretty much run any kind of programming. You have any idea of your max numbers now?

Also, i’d start programming backwards from the marathon to whenever you plan to start. Block periodization wouldn’t be the worst plan at least for the first cycle to build up some training volume, but the sky is the limit as far as what you want to do.

I’ve done some programming for cross country and they get closer to 80-90 miles a week in-season, but they’re typically not pushing an appreciable load and XC coaches are weird the minute you put a barbell in their athletes hands even in off-season, when they should be lifting.

On a side note: hit 252.5kg on my squat max today, roughly 5kg PR.

Thanks DL, congrats on the squat PR.

I have no serious idea of my maxes. With a gun to my head, even in my current malnourished state I think I could put up 3/2/4 plates.

Working backwards from race day: My lifting is going to be pretty superficial for the last four months (low volume but heavy S/B/D, lots of chins and some vanity work). But November through February I was thinking would be three months of linear progression-like programming, and two months of a powerlifting/weightlifting focused program built around a four-day Texas Method with power cleans to start every workout. Even at my strongest I never power cleaned 225 and I'd really like to check that off my list, plus I enjoy maintaining the veneer of actual athleticism.

I worry a bit about my leg health below the knee, as well as becoming too anterior-dominant with all the mountains I will be running over the summer. I am hoping there are things I can do in the off-season to mitigate the consequences of these particular stimuli.

Anyways, I am ranting; I'll keep the thread updated on my winter training and keep the silly endurance talk to a minimum.

• Options
    Sets of pullovers straight into close grip bench will do a number on your triceps, lemme tell you what.

• Options
    In remembrance of KK

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Charles Poliquin died pretty young recently too. No word on cause of death in either case.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Charles Poliquin died pretty young recently too. No word on cause of death in either case.

Shit, it can’t be healthy walking around that heavy and always pushing your body to the brink. Wouldn’t be surprised if PEDs were involved as well.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    This stunning realization roughly 3 months after joining this gym. No bumper plates and using the smaller rubber coated 45's means I've been doing 1-1/2" deficits (or more when I'm actually intentionally doing deficits) the whole time... Now I don't feel so bad and its likely that my deadlift hasn't actually fallen apart

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Tube wrote: »

Shit, it can’t be healthy walking around that heavy and always pushing your body to the brink. Wouldn’t be surprised if PEDs were involved as well.

Yeah, I don't want to be too judgmental about it given that there's no cause of death (for all we know he was hit by a bus), but both men used PEDs and were heavy, especially Konstantinov. Even if you're 8% body fat, being heavy is bad for your long term health.

If the cause of death was PED/weight related I would hope that people close to them would make that known because the kind of health issues associated with that lifestyle should be better known.

• Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Well this sucks. I broke my hand at a concert a week ago and have to take a few months off to heal. I just got a 5 plate deadlift too. On the level of 1-small child, how weak am I going to be when I can start working out again?

• Options
    You can still squat and do glute ham raises and ab work

• Options
    BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
    Hello weightlifting thread, I want to get a head start on my New Year's resolution and start lifting. What are some good beginner resources I should be looking at?

Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
  • Options
    BathTubb wrote: »
    Hello weightlifting thread, I want to get a head start on my New Year's resolution and start lifting. What are some good beginner resources I should be looking at?

Starting strength is a pretty standard recommendation I've always heard.

• Options
    Well this sucks. I broke my hand at a concert a week ago and have to take a few months off to heal. I just got a 5 plate deadlift too. On the level of 1-small child, how weak am I going to be when I can start working out again?

What kind of broken hand? How casted up are you?

This discussion has been closed.