As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo] Downwell, Dragon Marked for Death, and Wargroove out now.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    My favourite imagery from the Piranha Plant reveal is definitely it jumping onto the end flag. Reach for the stars, buddy.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I will give $10 million for a Metroid movie starring Brie Larson

The only problem is that she is very short to be playing Samus.

Use CGI to make her 8 inches taller.

just have her magically grow a foot when she's in the armor using lord of the rings camera magic if there's a practical suit or CGI if it's all CGI anyway, just like they did in other M :rotate:

So.. Tom Cruise or Hobbit style? Easy.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I am actually a little sad that they said no echo fighter dlc.

A pack of like 3 echos would be pretty cool. And there are a lot of characters that really wouldn't work as a full new fighter but would make good echos.

Ah well.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Y'all talking about combos and matchups and the best I've ever been able to do is knock people off the stage then whiff the attempt to down air them before falling into the void.

There was a moment of transition where Speed got really proficient with Yoshi and Mario's Forward-Airs and it changed the landscape of the forum for me
    Gundi wrote: »
    i remember someone playing wii fit trainer. it was always super sad when they'd do some sick combo on me then drop it because wft's hitboxes are ridiculous and just don't hit some characters

, she said, snickering like her accursed main
    *can noise* *disc noise* *gunman noise*

Gundi on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I don't think there's anything out there that comes anywhere near BotW in physics shenanigans.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Could've at least made Shantae 4 Stars.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

A pack of like 3 echos would be pretty cool. And there are a lot of characters that really wouldn't work as a full new fighter but would make good echos.

Ah well.

I have to think this is Roys fault

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    imo learning what all your hold/tilt/directionals/etc moves are for smash is basically the same as learning movelists for a SF style game

it may seem more approachable than "learning a hadouken motion" but your characters in smash are basically just as movelist versatile as any other fighting game

i don't really consider there to be any difference in clueless play between the two styles, other than a clueless smash player having a lot more freedom to run around, rather than just back up or run forward

Nah, I never need to ask if a character has a move with a certain input. Like, does this character have a quarter circle move? Does this character have a quarter circle move with punches or kicks or exclusively medium kicks? Is this character a charge character or not? If so which directions do I need to charge? After all of that then you can learn what the moves do.

In smash you know every direction plus an attack button does something

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    imo learning what all your hold/tilt/directionals/etc moves are for smash is basically the same as learning movelists for a SF style game

it may seem more approachable than "learning a hadouken motion" but your characters in smash are basically just as movelist versatile as any other fighting game

i don't really consider there to be any difference in clueless play between the two styles, other than a clueless smash player having a lot more freedom to run around, rather than just back up or run forward

Nah, I never need to ask if a character has a move with a certain input. Like, does this character have a quarter circle move? Does this character have a quarter circle move with punches or kicks or exclusively medium kicks? Is this character a charge character or not? If so which directions do I need to charge? After all of that then you can learn what the moves do.

Yeah, it's a big help to know everyone has the same input set (with a few caveats like specials taking more inputs after use).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

Ah well.

I know it won't happen, but I hope them confirming that the complete roster that has been revealed doesn't include a couple of echo fighters.

The whole "Everyone's Here" thing is definitely great for marketing, so they couldn't hide those characters, and because the roster is already ridiculous, they couldn't add too many more, but I really would have liked to feel surprised unlocking a new character.

I'm still very thankful that the final character reveal was basically a joke character that absolutely no one was requesting (but could be fun!). If I can't get a fun surprise unlocking someone, I'll take a good laugh at a bizarre reveal.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    As someone who will probably never interact with the online or competitive side of things, I really enjoy that Smash has become this batshit collection of characters and weird little Nintendo jokes. I don't really want to see that roster cut, even if I don't ever really want to play as like, Bayonetta

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

it takes like 5 seconds to test motions so i strongly disagree that this is an issue

liEt3nH.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yeah and then to promptly forget most of them when you actually start fighting.

The skill ceiling in Smash may be comparable to other fighters but the skill floor is not.

Also not for nothing but traditional fighting game inputs and combo timing requirements kinda really suck? Like, make the game actually unplayable for many people suck.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Let me rephrase, I think people are misevaluating the skill floor of fighters because of their focus on "the special moves" and their inputs. When me and my non-fighter friends slap together they don't know a goddamn thing about the moves, they just ask what the attack buttons are. And then they just press 'em and we all slap together.

I understand liking that you just have to know your B, Side B, Up B, Down B, and Boom There's Your Specials, don't get me wrong. I totally get why that's satisfying. My point is more that I think people are overselling the importance of specials versus just hitting buttons and seeing what's gonna come out.

liEt3nH.png
    Let me rephrase, I think people are misevaluating the skill floor of fighters because of their focus on "the special moves" and their inputs. When me and my non-fighter friends slap together they don't know a goddamn thing about the moves, they just ask what the attack buttons are. And then they just press 'em and we all slap together.

I understand liking that you just have to know your B, Side B, Up B, Down B, and Boom There's Your Specials, don't get me wrong. I totally get why that's satisfying. My point is more that I think people are overselling the importance of specials versus just hitting buttons and seeing what's gonna come out.

Uh Mods?

What you ain't had a good slap with your friends where you see what comes out

liEt3nH.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

You are underselling how important consistency of inputs is to a lot of people. As it is I have trouble remembering all the different things you can do in Smash and literally every character/match uses the same set of stuff. In 10 years I've gone from literally never blocking because the shoulder buttons were too many things to keep track of, to occasionally spending a bunch of time blocking instead of attacking, because I know I need to and when I remember to do that I lose the ability to instinctively do something else, like tilts.

Other fighting games might as well not have specials because the time it takes to remember and try to pull off some specific button combo unique to the character I'm playing is the time needed for my opponent to do something to to me. There are WAY too many things to keep track of and react to in fighting games and Smash is the only playable one because it reduces one of those elements

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Other fighting games might as well not have specials

Yes that's close to what I'm saying! For many people who play fighting games, they don't! Obviously that doesn't reduce the stress some people feel to know those things in case they get matched up against someone, but in Street Fighter for example, everyone still has their 6 attack buttons, their crouching buttons, their jumping buttons. For a lot of people, the perception is that fighting games are these places where complex special moves and intricate combos are the ground floor that they need to learn to play and have fun, but Smash isn't, and I'm simply trying to express to you all that you don't have to play at that level you're building fighting games up to be to have fun.

liEt3nH.png
    six attack buttons is way too many attack buttons

cdci44qazyo3.gif

it's just punch and kick, and then smol medium beeg for both, in a row! it's a very logical system!

liEt3nH.png
    okay I'm sure it is but in practice it means I will never do anything but one type of punch and kick

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    6 attack buttons is not bad

Motion inputs are the devil though

And charge characters are the super devil

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    YouTube coming?

a6gywdm1be4p.jpeg

Link

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Rando button mashing is fine if you just want to see silly things happen on the screen, but you're not really engaging with the game though. Smash allows even beginners to actually do things purposely, and to get into tactics (like types of moves, positioning), and it lets them do that immediately.

Like, I've played a decent amount of Soul Calibur, but there's only one character that I feel like I could actually move around and consistently do useful moves with (and the moves I intended). There are probably two dozen at least in Smash that I feel that competent with.

sig.gif
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Tekken has four inputs- left arm, right arm, left leg and right leg

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Special moves are the only reason I play fighting games. If there are no flashy powers, what's the point?

now Punch, Kick, Slash, Heavy Slash, and Dust, there's a sensible set of buttons

liEt3nH.png

that I could conceivable adapt to

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

No hip thrusting?

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

No hip thrusting?

That's left leg plus right leg

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    No that's Voldo.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I tend to find Smash more accessible than most other fighting games because of the size of the arenas. By design, you can’t really get any breathing room in street fighter and tekken, the game forces you to remain in close proximity to one another until there’s a winner.

But in Smash you can avoid and evade, and there are more opportunities to engage on your own terms. That matters a lot when you’re just starting out.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I miss Virtua Fighter

I miss Virtua Fighter

It as only a simulation Vow.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Ah, the Animus

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    -Tal wrote: »
    They shouldn't cut anybody from Smash.

This is a good sentiment but it may also be literally, physically impossible

Smash continuing to grow is hitting a breaking point where the people making it can't really keep up anymore

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Cut everyone from melee.

Adapt or die.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
This discussion has been closed.