As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo] Downwell, Dragon Marked for Death, and Wargroove out now.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Pokémon Let's Go apparently doesn't support Pro controllers?

Like, it was kinda acceptable for Super Mario Party, but for the most outreaching game on the Switch so far? You're really not gonna honor your "so many ways to play" like that?

That sucks. There is precedent for Nintendo changing their minds, though - New Super Mario Bros. U didn't originally support the WiiU Pro controller.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The commercials have made it pretty clear they expect you to use the one joycon. Like, literally to catch Pokemon you have to do a throwing motion. The game is built around that specific thing. I don't like it either but it seems incredibly unlikely they'll make any changes to that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The commercials have made it pretty clear they expect you to use the one joycon. Like, literally to catch Pokemon you have to do a throwing motion. The game is built around that specific thing. I don't like it either but it seems incredibly unlikely they'll make any changes to that.

You can do that with a Pro Controller, though. It's not really any different than Super Mario Odyssey's wiggle moves

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    The main thing about the different ways to play was that you could play docked (with joycons), handheld, or with the joycons detached from the screen. Super Mario Party dropped the handheld one, probably because of motion controls but they might have felt that they could get away with it due to the multiplayer nature of it.

Note how Super Mario Odyssey has a big "hey, try using the joycons by themselves" screen when you start it up - they clearly want to have the Wii-esque thing as the "default" controls.

But yeah, Let's Go plays with a single joycon because they had to make the two-buttons-and-a-joystick Pokéball controller work I guess.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    it's true, Kirby eats cosmic terrors like... once a week

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Yeah, the switch, conceptually, is a descendant of the Wii.

A Super Wii, if you will.

A Super Wii That Can HD...

Motherfucker.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Incoming message from the Department of AAAAAAAAA

Edit - (Yes I know this is just a mock-up someone made because it's not in the game yet.)

Henroid on
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Incoming message from the Department of AAAAAAAAA

Edit - (Yes I know this is just a mock-up someone made because it's not in the game yet.)
    https://youtu.be/LPkYGM0q0YI?t=1m05s

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    God I love that Drobot bit so much

*click*

"Hey buddy it's Drobot."

You gotta get off that dro, Drobot!
    IMMA SMOKE TILL I DIIIIIE

"When I agreed to be your sponsor..."

Basically what we're getting at here is that they should put Drobot in Smash.

Mx. Quill on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

if this is real, man am I gonna spend a LOT of time on this thing

6F32U1X.png
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

It's real, Sakurai did a presentation in Japanese a few days ago where he went through classic mode and a bunch of Spirits stuff.
    https://youtu.be/4PRS0UHXJt4
    Starting at 17:19 he levels up Rondo of Blood Maria into Symphony of the Night Maria, and then immediately after that shows off that MGS3 Naked Snake->MGSV Big Boss clip.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I remember the Direct showing off advanced forms of spirits, like Groudon becoming Primal Groudon.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Stop, I can't be buying a Switch for myself this time of year and of all things it's the gacha in Smash tempting me to sin.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »

It's real, Sakurai did a presentation in Japanese a few days ago where he went through classic mode and a bunch of Spirits stuff.
    https://youtu.be/4PRS0UHXJt4
    Starting at 17:19 he levels up Rondo of Blood Maria into Symphony of the Night Maria, and then immediately after that shows off that MGS3 Naked Snake->MGSV Big Boss clip.

this is awesome, Ryu's Classic mode is stamina fights on Omega stages which is great, and Isabelle's first level is you against 4 villagers lmao

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    first you draw a circle
    then you dot the eyes
    add a great big smile
    and presto, it's time to kill god

BahamutZERO.gif
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Is that Steven universe game on the eshop worth the price or should I skip it?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Is that Steven universe game on the eshop worth the price or should I skip it?

Save the Light? It was very buggy at release but once they were all patched I think it was considered very solid
    I just bought it

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Save the Light is a good time

It still had the occasional weird bug

But you get Connie in your party and can fuse into Stevonnie so it’s like a 9 out of 10

Hmm. May bite the bullet payday

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I still need to finish it, but Save the Light is cool. I have some complaints, glitches aside, like the long trek to the Forge and Steven feeling a bit too giddy with how he's written. But the combat mechanics are rad and suit the show's themes of positivity and support, plus it's great to explore that world.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Request for friendship! Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697

I need fellow hu-mans to hunt monsters with in Diablo 3, and to smash properly next month.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular

I haven't played a smash since the original but have been eyeing this one- what does this even mean?

Is this in the single player only, or tied into other/all modes?

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It's hard to gauge because it's an entirely new thing for this game

6F32U1X.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »

I haven't played a smash since the original but have been eyeing this one- what does this even mean?

Spirits are a collectible thing, like trophies in previous games and stickers in Brawl.

There's a special spirits mode where you can equip them for powerups. There's a bunch of ways to power up spirits, like what is shown in that tweet.

There are no spirits in normal multiplayer or classic.

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

It’s largely for single player content but it is possible to use it for vs battles - though I don’t think we know if they’re enableable for online play

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular

I was going to say "Spirits are just the next iteration of Stickers and Custom Parts," but since you didn't play Brawl or Smash 4, that would be meaningless.

So far as we know now, yes, it's just a single-player system. You acquire and equip various Nintendo characters to your playable characters to improve their stats RPG-style. Multiplayer games (particularly online ones) are played without such modifications, and if precedent holds, the single-player modes that don't explicitly revolve around the system will let you play either way.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Request for friendship! Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697

I need fellow hu-mans to hunt monsters with in Diablo 3, and to smash properly next month.

Same for me, I'm not sure how much active multiplayer I'll be around for but I'm curious about this console nemesis system.

Friend Code: 0990-5228-8798

Ok that's still pretty cool to include it. As far as the "echo fighter" alternates, are those usable throughout?

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Yeah

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Ok that's still pretty cool to include it. As far as the "echo fighter" alternates, are those usable throughout?

They're just characters. Other than being very similar to another character, they aren't special in any way.

Yeah Echo Fighters are just how they're separating out what people would otherwise classify as clones--they're practically the same as the original fighter with very minor differences in movesets.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Also making it clear that these characters aren't taking as much time to create as normal ones so gamers aren't wailing and gnashing their teeth that they are "wasting a slot on a clone."

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Also making it clear that these characters aren't taking as much time to create as notmrmal ones so gamers aren't wailing and gnashing their teeth that they are "wasting a slot on a clone."

Yeah that seemed like at least partially a pretty canny marketing move to head off some of the more tedious discourse

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Sweet, thanks all.

I’m excited for piranha plant, looks hilarious.

Looking at Piranha plants they really get way more variations than troopas or goombas . I wanna say at least 15 in main series games alone.

The more I look at them the more obvious its selection is .

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Just confirmed that you can't play Diablo 3 seasons on the Switch while offline. Which, while not unexpected, kinda sucks!

This discussion has been closed.