As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    shryke wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I wouldn't count the game out yet... Destiny 2 appears to be faltering, if its inclusion as a free game for PS+ members this month is anything to go on. (the free games tend to be MUCH older than Destiny 2 is now.) That could make room for Anthem to pick up an audience.

...or maybe all the Destiny 2 people are playing Fortnite now and will ignore Anthem. Whichever.

They're giving away Destiny 2 in order to sell Forsaken. Other companies do very similar things, giving away the old Forza just as the new comes out, that kind of thing.

The problem with that theory is there's a LOT of Destiny 2 to play before you have to buy an expansion. Granted the hope is that they eventually buy, but this really smacks of a bit of a desperation move, especially as popular as Destiny 1 was.

It's an MMO with DLC as the subscription. That's basically the model. And lo, a new expansion is coming out as we speak.

They are giving it away for free now, actually like almost a week early since it's a September free game that dropped in late August, because they just dropped a big pre-patch for the next expansion and they are trying to get people to log on, get hooked on the new changes and then buy the new expansion. It's just a marketing exercise.

That somehow never got done with the better-performing Destiny 1.

They are learning. The point of an MMO-style game is always to sell the latest content. It's why a lot of games even let you skip past all the previous stuff.

If they're learning, the teacher seems to be poor performance. Someone in the other thread said Best Buy sent him a free copy of Destiny 2 when he bought a copy of Spider-Man.

Back on topic, I have no idea if this will give Anthem more breathing room or essentially poison the market. "Eh, I played enough Destiny, I don't want something that looks similar."

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I wouldn't count the game out yet... Destiny 2 appears to be faltering, if its inclusion as a free game for PS+ members this month is anything to go on. (the free games tend to be MUCH older than Destiny 2 is now.) That could make room for Anthem to pick up an audience.

...or maybe all the Destiny 2 people are playing Fortnite now and will ignore Anthem. Whichever.

They're giving away Destiny 2 in order to sell Forsaken. Other companies do very similar things, giving away the old Forza just as the new comes out, that kind of thing.

The problem with that theory is there's a LOT of Destiny 2 to play before you have to buy an expansion. Granted the hope is that they eventually buy, but this really smacks of a bit of a desperation move, especially as popular as Destiny 1 was.

It's an MMO with DLC as the subscription. That's basically the model. And lo, a new expansion is coming out as we speak.

They are giving it away for free now, actually like almost a week early since it's a September free game that dropped in late August, because they just dropped a big pre-patch for the next expansion and they are trying to get people to log on, get hooked on the new changes and then buy the new expansion. It's just a marketing exercise.

That somehow never got done with the better-performing Destiny 1.

They are learning. The point of an MMO-style game is always to sell the latest content. It's why a lot of games even let you skip past all the previous stuff.

If they're learning, the teacher seems to be poor performance. Someone in the other thread said Best Buy sent him a free copy of Destiny 2 when he bought a copy of Spider-Man.

Back on topic, I have no idea if this will give Anthem more breathing room or essentially poison the market. "Eh, I played enough Destiny, I don't want something that looks similar."

Much like the devs probably also played destiny, you can't expect to attract people who have never played in the genre.

Like games in the cod fluence understand a big part of selling their game is saying "hey if you're bored with CoD..." I mean even Overwatch was like an evolution of say Team Fortress. Hell WoW was originally aimed at the MMO market in general having stripped all the good parts and left the shit ones behind.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2018
    Though didn't Overwatch draw in a big chunk people who weren't already playing shooters? It sure seemed to anyway, though I don't think that's something that could be easily proven. Fortnite sure is drawing in new crowds. Cross-pollination can happen.

Though it could be a tougher sell to draw in people in it mainly for the narrative, considering how walled-off and limited it seems to be. I suspect the game's success (or not) will rest mainly on how well the missions are.

Huh. Do you HAVE to do narrative stuff if all you want to do is shoot things? If yes, I could see that turning off a lot of people on the other side of plot interest.

cloudeagle on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    And it was the Storm frame I was thinking of, the wizard elemental frame that uses flight more. Like when they sprint they just hover over the ground. I think that'll be my starting main frame, just because being able to drop lightning on things is always my jam.

Obviously with a large enough group, there'll be overlap. I think there's at least 6-8 of us who are likely to get the game, so a lot of doubling up on 'main' frames is likely to occur (at least in terms of focus of time and resources), but knowing my crew, I'm striving to keep my mind open and likely try to fill whatever gap we might end up with. Likely support of some sort, if by frame or focus on other elements of the game (I'm assuming it'll even be possible, that is).

Edit: interesting, I didn't know this. From the wiki: "By default, the Ranger is the first javelin obtained by The Freelancer. The others can be earned in non-sequential order within the first quarter of the main story."

Yeah makes sense I believe the ranger is the jack of all frames, so as far as a default tutorial that synchs up. I mean you'll have all frames and much like destiny it'll probably be smart to level and use them all just to fill gaps. And really I shouldn't commit till I actually play a frame and go "oh yeah this is my jam."

From the trailer,
    it looks like each Javelin will be associated with a different crew member

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Of potential interest to folks here, Bioware has announced the ways in which people will gain access to the demo/early play, by platform.

3dcjcdsyx6pe.jpg

Full details found Here.

So, I'm sure some will be frustrated that access seems to be locked (for now at least) behind a substantial paywall, but the silver lining is that there will be at least 3 weeks worth of reviews and experiences available from a multitude of sources before it goes fully live for everyone.

I'd hoped for a free demo as well (I have pre-ordered so it doesn't impact me either way, but I think it's a good thing to have), so I guess we'll have to wait and see for certain.

Given the hopes many have pinned on this redeeming Bioware for the ME:A fiasco (or at least what elements of it can be laid at their feet) or the risks of doing further damage to their reputation, hopefully they are fully ready for the wider world to get their hands on this, even part of it, in ~4 months.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It's not Watch_Dogs, but come on with this stuff.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Three weeks is a long time to be rolling out these staggered betas and whatnot. I hope they don't over-share - and if the game is good, I hope people don't just get tired of it - over the course of that month.

I remember that Destiny showed a bunch of its first two locations during its beta, even though it only let you level up to lvl 8 or so. It felt like a perfectly sized tease...... until the retail game launched and it turned out that this was about a third of the content.

Basically, I'm hoping that Bioware has learned how NOT to handle a launch from Bungie. We'll see.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Early access helped strangle Mass Effect Andromeda in its crib, it's impressively stupid to me that a EA won't stop using it as a marketing gimmick.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    If I get it

I will buy it after it comes out

and download it right then and there

no more preorders

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I've been so nervous about a game launch before.

I mean everything I've been seeing about it and everything that has been coming out of Bioware the last couple of months and what the Devs (former and current) have said does not fill me with hope.

Then at the same time I'm torn between "Do I want to see Bioware go out on a somewhat decent note or continue on as a tortured mockery of their former selves?". Basically, if Anthem doesn't live up to EA's expectation I think I'd rather they just give Bioware the axe quickly instead of prolonging the death.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it's just a lowkey way for them to smooth out launch issues; rather than have your whole userbase trying to log in in a three hour window on a friday, you can spread it out over a couple weeks

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Yeah the launch looks fine to me? Then again everything coming out about Anthem has been pretty positive for me as well, so I don't see the outrage beyond the usual "BIOWARE IS DOOMED!!!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Eh, they’ve been bleeding talent like crazy and plenty of former Bioware Devs have talked about the less than stellar atmosphere at the studio.

Both are not good signs.

That coupled with Bioware throwing away the one thing that makes their games great and entering an already crowded market. Not good.

All of this with EA, a company who does not suffer under performing studios, yet demands unrealistic numbers.

Not to mention a February release date, a notorious Dump Month (along with January), does not instill confidence.

Edit- Hell, even current Devs have talked about how they feel that this game is make or break for them.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Yeah the launch looks fine to me? Then again everything coming out about Anthem has been pretty positive for me as well, so I don't see the outrage beyond the usual "BIOWARE IS DOOMED!!!"

It's the angry nerds on the ickier parts of the interwebs going "IT'TH NOT MASS EFFECT I WANT MORE MASS EFFECT!" I mean, it's a game with power armor, flight, giant cool robots to kill, Macross Missile Spew, co-op, and a loot treadmill/pinata; if this was any other studio than BioWare, people would be losing their shit.

I don't consider february a bad release for video games. I mean This jan, feb, march is crowded with games if anything.

And Destiny and maybe warframe/division is not exactly a crowded market? Especially with Destiny in its boom bust cycle.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Eh, depends what you're into. There's been a bunch of stuff coming out, but from my POV, there hasn't been a launch I've been remotely interested in except maybe the Switch MHGU. Which I didn't buy, since "what's a spare time"? I feel like "bad timing" is starting to need to be measured by genre/segment; it's not like Madden is going to step on Halo or a new JRPG for most people.

Well if you measure a game against all games its a crowded market, but against like looter shooters there are only 3 or 4 in the genre in total, and one has a sequel coming out a month after anthem, one had a well regarded expansion but was struggling prior to that, and one is warframe which just keeps on chugging. There is plenty of room for Anthem in that market. There is no WoW style game sucking air out of the room.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Of potential interest to folks here, Bioware has announced the ways in which people will gain access to the demo/early play, by platform.

3dcjcdsyx6pe.jpg

Full details found Here.

So, I'm sure some will be frustrated that access seems to be locked (for now at least) behind a substantial paywall, but the silver lining is that there will be at least 3 weeks worth of reviews and experiences available from a multitude of sources before it goes fully live for everyone.

I'd hoped for a free demo as well (I have pre-ordered so it doesn't impact me either way, but I think it's a good thing to have), so I guess we'll have to wait and see for certain.

Given the hopes many have pinned on this redeeming Bioware for the ME:A fiasco (or at least what elements of it can be laid at their feet) or the risks of doing further damage to their reputation, hopefully they are fully ready for the wider world to get their hands on this, even part of it, in ~4 months.

I have Origin Access Basic, so that's pretty cool.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I have access to the basic version of Origin, does that count?

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    there aren't really 'dead months' anymore; even if there were, why would you wanna release the same weekend as some other A list game?

we also see this trend in the film industry, with 'summer' blockbusters releasing in mid-april and serious dramas dodging the oscar rush by releasing early in the year (american sniper etc)

NREqxl5.jpg
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    tbh I'm a little annoyed the super-do preorder version doesn't include anything early access.

I mean I guess I can do the pay $5 for fancy Origin and then cancel it dance again but at the same time please to be fucking off with this shit EA.

I wouldn't say Bioware is doomed, but it's clear the studio's future depends on Anthem doing well.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Glad there's a demo at least. It'll help me decide if I want the full game.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I'm actually glad that other people will have access to the game early, because it increases the chances that some kind soul will make a comprehensive list of what each javelin can do, which powers each can equip, etc.

Whether or not I purchase this game will be hugely contingent on how varied the build options are. In previous Bioware games, I always managed to find some build I really loved, wether it was my Puppet Master Shepard, my Necro-support Inquisitor, or my Enginfiltrator Ryder. Other loot games also give me build options to latch onto, like my Bodyguard Nyx build in Warframe and my Mass Confusion Witch Doctor in Diablo 3.

Anthem releases in four months, and we still have only very vague descriptions of what each javelin does. That seems like a big red flag to me.

I'm actually glad that other people will have access to the game early, because it increases the chances that some kind soul will make a comprehensive list of what each javelin can do, which powers each can equip, etc.

Whether or not I purchase this game will be hugely contingent on how varied the build options are. In previous Bioware games, I always managed to find some build I really loved, wether it was my Puppet Master Shepard, my Necro-support Inquisitor, or my Enginfiltrator Ryder. Other loot games also give me build options to latch onto, like my Bodyguard Nyx build in Warframe and my Mass Confusion Witch Doctor in Diablo 3.

Anthem releases in four months, and we still have only very vague descriptions of what each javelin does. That seems like a big red flag to me.

Eh I wouldn't be that concerned by that. Freaking RDR 2 comes out in less than a month and we haven't heard much about the gameplay outside of people who've played it. Designers keep this stuff closer to the chest, especially for a multiplayer title where they are probably still tweaking things.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

Eh I wouldn't be that concerned by that. Freaking RDR 2 comes out in less than a month and we haven't heard much about the gameplay outside of people who've played it. Designers keep this stuff closer to the chest, especially for a multiplayer title where they are probably still tweaking things.

That's true. And even if I don't like any of the javelin powers they have at launch, they might add more interesting powers or even whole new javelins at any point in the future. A lot of my favorite builds in other games like this one weren't available at launch, after all.

• Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular

An engine that already savaged one major release, doing something that has only been done satisfactorily, from a technical perspective, once, with a notoriously ill-mannered engine like frostbite? The fact that folks have been jumping ship for a whole year now? The fact that it focuses like a laser around the areas of design that Bioware have been conspicuously bad at?

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Legion of Dawn Edition doesn't sound bad, actually. An extra armor suit for every class, some other bits and bobs, as well as the soundtrack.

At least they know not to go overboard with the excessive amount of versions, "no game" special editions, and physical items.

sig.gif
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Came across this.

BioWare Details Every Javelin Ability You’ll Find in Anthem at Launch

The "big" thing is that the Ranger, Interceptor, and Storm classes can use every weapon type except Heavy Weapons, while the Colossus can do so.. but can't use Pistols or SMGs. Seems like a decent trade off to me.

sig.gif
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the first Javelin I roll will be a Ranger. Looks like it's the 'Warmachine' Javelin.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Ranger will be the first Javelin everyone rolls. The others will be choices unlocked at certain level milestones (was originally going to be tied to missions, but they decided to just make it a choice at certain levels). No indication though how long until the first unlocks yet though.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Came across this.

The "big" thing is that the Ranger, Interceptor, and Storm classes can use every weapon type except Heavy Weapons, while the Colossus can do so.. but can't use Pistols or SMGs. Seems like a decent trade off to me.

That kind of trade-off reminds me of Tribes. I loved Tribes and how they handled kit customization. From what I've seen, I'm probably most excited for the Interceptor class.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Came across this.

Other then the loadout differences between the Colossus and the rest it reads alot like Destiny to me. Which ain't a bad thing. I'm still hoping it will be a bit more ability-focused ala Mass Effect but we don't know much on that front right now.

Looks solid all around though. Nice chunky feel to the abilities in those videos with the sounds and animations.

shryke on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Came across this.

Other then the loadout differences between the Colossus and the rest it reads alot like Destiny to me. Which ain't a bad thing. I'm still hoping it will be a bit more ability-focused ala Mass Effect but we don't know much on that front right now.

Looks solid all around though. Nice chunky feel to the abilities in those videos with the sounds and animations.

I hope you mean Mass Effect 1, because the later games using the global cooldown pretty much nixed that.

If it wants to hold my interest it better be closer to Warframe than Destiny in terms of ability use (that is, you have multiple and fire them off a bunch and they're more meaningful than some form of damage).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited November 2018
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Came across this.

I hope you mean Mass Effect 1, because the later games using the global cooldown pretty much nixed that.

If it wants to hold my interest it better be closer to Warframe than Destiny in terms of ability use (that is, you have multiple and fire them off a bunch and they're more meaningful than some form of damage).

Nah, the Mass Effect 2 and 3 setup was way heavier on good ability usage and comboing. Rather then something like, say, Destiny where most of the time on most subclasses you are gonna be shooting.

shryke on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Came across this.

Nah, the Mass Effect 2 and 3 setup was way heavier on good ability usage and comboing. Rather then something like, say, Destiny where most of the time on most subclasses you are gonna be shooting.

Mass Effect 2 was a cover shooter where you pushed a power button on cooldown. Then you had a teammate push the power button that combo'd with it, on cooldown. Repeat until enemies are dead. Switch out teammates depending on enemy defenses, I guess, but... yeah, basically everything felt like "push for damage/CC".

The difference between an adept and a soldier was the flavor of the button. Except soldiers got bigger guns. Adepts did not feel like mages after 1 because of the global cooldowns limiting them to using their abilities no more often than the warrior type. They could disable a bit more, but... death is best CC anyways, and you were just going to combo to detonate whatever it was anyways. Hope you didn't mainly level a CC and then run into a boss immune to it.

Compare that to the first, where you could unload multiple things in succession to lock down an area, even though your guns were weaker. Also, final bosses being in ragdoll the whole time because actual biotic god. And then taking forever because biotic god mode is all CC no damage.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Came across this.

Mass Effect 2 was a cover shooter where you pushed a power button on cooldown. Then you had a teammate push the power button that combo'd with it, on cooldown. Repeat until enemies are dead. Switch out teammates depending on enemy defenses, I guess, but... yeah, basically everything felt like "push for damage/CC".

The difference between an adept and a soldier was the flavor of the button. Except soldiers got bigger guns. Adepts did not feel like mages after 1 because of the global cooldowns limiting them to using their abilities no more often than the warrior type. They could disable a bit more, but... death is best CC anyways, and you were just going to combo to detonate whatever it was anyways. Hope you didn't mainly level a CC and then run into a boss immune to it.

Compare that to the first, where you could unload multiple things in succession to lock down an area, even though your guns were weaker. Also, final bosses being in ragdoll the whole time because actual biotic god. And then taking forever because biotic god mode is all CC no damage.

This sounds nothing like the games I played. ME1 was boring as shit and the abilities were dull. Plus, Adept broke the game.

ME2 you had interesting combos between abilities. The difference between how you played an Adept or a Vanguard or an Infiltrator was huge.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Came across this.

This sounds nothing like the games I played. ME1 was boring as shit and the abilities were dull. Plus, Adept broke the game.

ME2 you had interesting combos between abilities. The difference between how you played an Adept or a Vanguard or an Infiltrator was huge.

And ME3 had insanely short cooldowns anyways, so you could fling powers out like none other.

...well, after around level 13-15 or so in multiplayer anyways.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Most of the best classes in the ME3 multi were power/combo oriented; there were a couple that did more shooting but only on account of receiving large buffs to guns (or melee)

Destiny 2 always seems kinda dull to me (mostly shooting, but fairly boring shooting) so hopefully anthem is less fun-oriented

NREqxl5.jpg
  • doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Most of the best classes in the ME3 multi were power/combo oriented; there were a couple that did more shooting but only on account of receiving large buffs to guns (or melee)

Destiny 2 always seems kinda dull to me (mostly shooting, but fairly boring shooting) so hopefully anthem is less fun-oriented

i think you typoed there at the end

what a happy day it is
This discussion has been closed.