As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    They initially came with every issue of the Imperial Herald, but they kind of fell by the wayside and became increasingly infrequent as the game went on.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    We just got in our S3 kit!

goddamn. Wooden role markers, "Ability" tokens, a single Tears of Amaterasu mat, and just a TON of awesome cards. Oh, and the scorpion plastic favors.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I just bought all the L5R stuff. New cards, novella, RPG, GM screen, the whole shebang. They pleasantly threw in 3 full-art Miya Satoshis too.

Tested out a Phoenix denial deck with Support of the Scorpion. 5 more influence of Scorpion cards gets you some good stuff. Wrecked a Crane and a Unicorn, both with dishonor but I had commanding positions in both games.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    How do learn to play style events work for this game at bigger events? It was on the radar for my wife and I to try at pax unplugged. Since then the schedule has filled quickly with other stuff but I want to make an effort to give it a try if there is time

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

EDIT: Also a Lion event spoiler from their AMA: Hand to Hand.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    THIS. IS. ROKUGAN!

... yay more attachment hate!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ...I just realized it's basically Standoff, since it keeps going until someone doesn't blow up a attachment.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    The spoiled card is bonkers too.

gheyDoUh.jpg

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I honestly can't say if that is unplayable jank or super op.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I honestly can't say if that is unplayable jank or super op.

For a faction that thrives on cycling through attachments? I love it, especially as it has the potential to screw over my opponent as well. I, as a Unicorn player, like to sit around 15-20 cards in my hand. It's why I hate that damned "discard down to 4" province of theirs.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Oh hey, there's the updated tournament regulation document.

Article up talking about some of the changes:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/10/17/the-path-of-knowledge/

The new End of Round stuff seems to be in there, too. 65-minute round timers, if no one concedes at that point they keep going until the end of the next regroup phase or the timer hits 75 minutes. At 70 minutes, last-call for slips. After that point, anyone who turns in a slip and loses gets modified loss. At 75 minutes, hard stop and you use the tiebreaker rules to get a modified win.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    I’d post a link to the Crane “letter,” but I try not to handle fecal matter with my bare hands.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Well, that was fun. Ended up going 1-3 tonight (actually had enough to go four rounds, which was cool). Slammed into my worst match-ups against 2 Crane and a Phoenix, which... sucked. But I *did* have Most Honorable all four games, so moral victory: me. Voice of Honor/Against the Waves would always show up at the worst possible time to hose me.

Did take three provinces in one turn against a Dragon player, though. toot toot.

Definitely wishing I had taken the time to update my deck with the new personality from the Scorpion pack, though.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Article up talking about Role selection...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/10/22/the-role-of-player-choice/

And that when picking roles, you cannot get either of the roles that you currently have.

...and also mentions that Feast or Famine will be going on the Restricted list shortly after worlds.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Was just coming to post this.

While I love Feast or Famine as a trap card, my playstyle just needs Charge. Though... FoF to some wussy card like a Force of the River token is always fun to do to my opponents.

• Options
    The role vote process seems really stupid. If 40% of people want Keeper of Water, and 30% each want Seeker of Fire or Seeker of Void, the clan end up with Seeker of Water which no one wanted?

Roles continue to be a huge Albatros around the neck of this game.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    40% of people wanted it I don't see how you can say nobody wanted it. Seems better than the guy who forefited Dragon Hatamoto trying to win worlds as Scorpion so he could hate pick their role.

Otherwise I still think it's kind of cool that doing well at worlds has a mechanical effect on the game.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    40% of people wanted it I don't see how you can say nobody wanted it. Seems better than the guy who forefited Dragon Hatamoto trying to win worlds as Scorpion so he could hate pick their role.

Otherwise I still think it's kind of cool that doing well at worlds has a mechanical effect on the game.

Not quite, there's a big difference between Seeker of Water and Keeper of Water which this current voting method doesn't really take into account. It's definitely weird when you break it down like that.

I do like that Worlds performance leads to changes in the game, but I also do feel like role restriction is a big frustration for competitive play.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Not quite, there's a big difference between Seeker of Water and Keeper of Water which this current voting method doesn't really take into account. It's definitely weird when you break it down like that.

I do like that Worlds performance leads to changes in the game, but I also do feel like role restriction is a big frustration for competitive play.

Ohhh I didn't notice the change there. My baaad. Yeah that's weird.

• Options
    edited October 2018

Fire Chicken clan letter is up.

And a spoiler, Sage of Gisei Toshi.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Surprise! Terrible defensive Crab card with way too many restrictions for a poor effect!

The devs have learned nothing.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That art is fucking terrible. How do you draw a firing ballista, two armored soldiers, and a demon and make them all look completely motionless?

• Options
    Scorpion letter's up.

The accompanying spoiler...

And also a holiday fiction, Small Mercies.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Oh yeah, and in case anyone's at Worlds this weekend and happens to snag one of the silver Yoritomos, I'll totally buy one off you. Let me know in a PM and we can talk price.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Oh hey, the rare weekend article is up, talking about the next Kotei series.

And also a new fiction leading into it, Imperial Gifts.

EDIT: There's also a article in there, Imperial Treasures, talking about the prize support for the next Kotei series.

Man it feels weird seeing the False Ring icons again.

EDIT DEUX: One for the Elemental Challenges prize support as well.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    And it sounds like Crane took Worlds.

Story choices:
    Crane: Seeker of Fire, Kakita Kaezin

Scorpion: Seeker of Air, Yogo

Dragon: Seeker of Void, Kitsuki

Crab: Keeper of Water, Yasuki

Phoenix: Keeper of Air, Asako

Lion: Keeper of Earth, Kitsu

Unicorn: Seeker of Water, Moto

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought for sure Scorpion had it, I know Shen is a great player, but Crane somehow managed to pull it out. Good for them!

• Options
    I'm actually kind of excited to be able to run a water role, there's some interesting stuff in there.

Plus it means I get to cram more Mantis in my deck.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Hmm. Most of the story choices were made targeting the last family, the one that was kind of the weird/wild choice. :)

• Options
    A couple of spoilers got released from FFG France from Children of the Empire.

Nice to see that Yakamo remembers how to d-d-d-d-duel.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Speaking of story and story choices, I'm reading through the fiction in order to prep for an L5R RPG campaign. I found a helpful post on the FFG forum that lays out all the fiction chronologically and also includes some PDFs that aren't on the fiction webpage for some reason. I missed out on a few and so I've decided to read them all again from the start. That being said, I'm not seeing the reason behind the conflict at Toshi Ranbo (other than its name is literally "City of Violence")? My understanding is that it's a city that fluctuates between Lion and Crane control, but I'm having trouble reconciling how that is possible in the structure of the Empire if war between clans is illegal, or at the very least requires Imperial sanction. Is there a certain point where small-scale violence becomes war and a lot of gray area in-between for clan politics? I get that it's one of the ongoing mysteries as to why the Imperial August Majesty Hantei the XXXVIII (infused with the righteous power of heaven) is allowing the conflict to continue, but I'd like to know what factors surround this decision. Is this simply part of the scheming to prevent any single clan from becoming too powerful? What does Toshi Ranbo represent to the Lion and Crane? Is the Lion in a powerful enough state to have war on two (or potentially more) fronts as well as endure potential imperial censure and still function as a great clan? Hopefully a lot of this material is explored in the upcoming setting book.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble reconciling how that is possible in the structure of the Empire if war between clans is illegal, or at the very least requires Imperial sanction. Is there a certain point where small-scale violence becomes war and a lot of gray area in-between for clan politics?

This has always been a weak point of the setting. It doesn't make sense to have a country with an all-powerful monarch which virtually everyone is loyal to and a bunch of regional competing military powers. AEG never figured out how to balance this so always had to keep coming up with reasons for the Emperor to be missing, dead, incompetent, stricken with illness, etc. Maybe FFG will be able to do better.

I don't believe that there's an explanation for the current continuity. In the old canon, it was said that the Imperials tolerated/instigated a certain amount of fighting between the clans because samurai are gonna samurai and keeping the clans divided made it easier to maintain Imperial dominance.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Toshi Ranbo apparently lies along an important trade route. In addition, you have competing claims to the land based on its history (think about anything in the middle east and how different people claim it as their rightful home). What we've seen so far is more skirmishes than outright war - if it escalates too significantly, then yes, the Emperor steps in, but otherwise it isn't worth their time. It's kind of Bushido writ-large - for the Crane to take the city from the Lion is an insult to the Lion's honor, and therefore they are allowed within their code of conduct to take it back, but then the Crane courtiers suggest that it was done improperly or there's a better reason for the Crane to take control and hence it's decreed back to them. Repeat ad infinitum, or until one side gets bored/stops caring/actual war breaks out.

• Options
    Oh hey, there was a spoiler from the Unicorn clan pack in today's voting article.

qIUldQJ.png

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    The question marks in the pack kind of reveal the clan pack's name: Children of the Wind.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    The question marks in the pack kind of reveal the clan pack's name: Children of the Wind.

I think they did that just to mess with people, since that’s not it.

It’s Warriors of the Wind.

Because it was just announced.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/11/28/warriors-of-the-wind/

And the novella to go with it, Across the Burning Sands.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/11/28/across-the-burning-sands/

Oh my god that alt-Art Shono is boss as HELL.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Hey.. Warriors and Children have the same number of letters! So whoever thought of that gets partial credit!

That said?

*DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL*

• Options
    The new stronghold is bonkers. 10 fate per turn !