As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Great! That's how we had played her I just wanted to check.

So it's hard to fit Luke/Wedge and either Thane or Norra and give supernatural reflexes and outmaneuver and torpedoes and etc to everyone. So maybe just a Red Squadron Veteran? Or maybe I just don't need all these torpedoes?

It's also hard for me to not put like, Ion Turret and Veteran Turret Gunner on Norra so I can threaten like 50% of the battlefield at once with double attacks but that's probably too many dang points to spend on one damage and an ion token unless I have interesting plans for the ion damage, right?

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Ion let's you know where they're going to end up, and limits them to only a focus action, so it could be pretty useful if you can land it reliably.

• Options
    I went. It was kind of what I expected, but it was still fairly fun. I would say I was the worst part of the event, I would say my list was really, extremely bad.

Games!
    The first game off the bat absolutely established 100% of my fears. He was running a shuttle, Redline, and a TIE Defender. His set up was to enable Redline to go nowhere and immediately first turn bump into the shuttle. No idea why you would do that, but it let me know "Hey Hat, this guy is doing calculus while you're learning to add." He cah-rushed me. Wedge died on round two and the rest of it was me being very sad. He completely wiped me out in about 30 minutes and I got ZERO points. Hoooooray.

Game 2 was much, much more fun. The guy was newish, he had played some 1.0 and was back for 2.0. He fielded 3 X-Wings, Luke, Wedge, and Biggs. I managed to crush Biggs pretty quickly and the game was very close. It basically came down to one turn. His Wedge was in a bad position, he had that crit that gives you an ion token so I knew exactly where he'd be with two health remaining. I did a K-turn with my Wedge and had him fucking dead to rights at range 1. Felt so good. Four dice let's do this: 1 hit. My Wedge would then be killed by his Luke, and on the following turn my Luke was in a perfect spot for his Wedge. This came down basically to the end and I at least felt good about it.

Game 3: Sabine/Luke/Wedge. Sabine seems like a fun ship. Wedge disintegrated on round 2 AGAIN, with just crazy fucking odds. On round 1 Wedge and Sabine were close enough to get pot shots on each other, trading a shield. I lost another shield and at some point. Wedge then fires at Sabine, does some good damage. Then I think it was Sabine at range 1 obstructed through debris rolling four dice. All hits for him, all blanks for me. No rerolls. Dead. Pretty horrible game from that point forward. I do claw my way back into this one a bit and get one of his X-Wings off the table and points off the other two.

Game 4: Soooo. I was pretty on tilt mode and I kind of felt like I should have just bailed but hey, I need the practice. He runs Lando, Sabine, and Wedge. I pour torpedoes into Lando and get him off the board pretty quickly. I feel like this was a mistake and maybe I should have been trying to get rid of Sabine and Wedge who are actual threats. He just seemed like an easy to hit target to not fuck up. And it was! My list slowly gets worked over until I get just down to Luke and realistically I should have just conceded a long time ago but I was like "might as well make him work." I do manage to work my way into getting some points off Sabine and Wedge.

My terrible list and ideas
    Norra needs shit to do. I learned a lot but I think I learned plenty in the first two games and I really wish I could have changed my list halfway through. I think if I did something like move the torps to the Y-Wing and made it Dutch with the target lock astromech I would have done much better.

Alternatively, putting torps on Norra and proton bombs would have been good. I don't think I needed expert handling. I didn't barrel roll too much. It is cheap though. I thought Norra would have been kind of a dogged pursuer, being tanky and shooting shit but she does little damage and she moves slowly. The X-Wings kind of shot out ahead of her and she struggled to keep up. I didn't put torps on her because I was like "she'll be in range 0-1 of shit" but 1) there will be at least one turn while she closes and 2) that doesn't mean she can't torpedo other shit.

Alternatively, I think she needs a turret at least. The Y-Wing is so fucking slow and dumpy that it's hard to come back around to get the primary weapon to bear and a lot of time I would have people hounding her. Ion turret would let her threaten more area and set up the X-Wings to light shit up. I would need to downgrade the X-Wings for it and that's a tough proposition. Luke frees up a ton of points just innately and by cutting supernatural, but he's very fun to fly. Given the opportunity to do it again, I might do something like this.

I think going tankier with some Astromechs might be helpful but that also feels like maybe I should just fly better and not get shot at. I feel like I'd rather spend points on shit that blows shit up good.

Lastly, I think 3 X-Wings would have been fine if a little more boring. I think there's a potential XYY that would be fun to run with Norra, Dutch, and maybe Wedge? I would really love to have Swarm Tactics, I saw someone use that in the Wedge/Luke/Biggs and it made Biggs pretty damn strong. I need a TIE Reaper for it. I'm glad I didn't run the TIE swarm. Would have been a fucking nightmare to run for four matches over six hours and I'm definitely not good enough. When it's firing on all cylinders you feel like a fucking champion but it's too easy to fuck up and get a TIE instagibbed by a torpedo or something.

TL;DR: mostly what I thought it would be. Still had fun. Got a promo Proton Torpedoes so got what I wanted.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Anyone know if there are medium bases for sale anywhere? Don't want to spring for the scum conversion but have 2 IG2000 I'd like to run.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Other random observations:

I really need a very small token solution. I brought the thing that I brought ALL my tokens in and it's just way too fucking big. I just need something that is like, maybe phone sized in terms of length and width to hold a few tokens of each type and the dice.

Same thing with a maneuver template holder. It's too awkward to fumble around for your templates and having them at the ready, spaced out so I can look at them and eyeball it better would be very nice. I also had to bring a separate container for them anyways since the damn range rulers are too big to fit in anything. You'd think like a telescoping or hinged range ruler would be a thing.

Lastly a better ship box that could keep them on the bases would speed up setup time but probably isn't strictly necessary. Setting that part up doesn't take forever and my plano is fine although if I DID have one of those foam things so they didn't rattle around that would be nice for my piece of mind in terms of durability. I've seen like, the feldherr mini and stuff like that on Amazon but they all have specific cutouts for the big ships and I don't know what (if any) big ships I would use so it seems like a waste.

So ideally, tiny token box, template holder, and then a plano for ships, cards, and rocks?

I also have no idea with regards to any strategy on obstacles and I feel like I could probably stand to look for a few articles on that but even then I'd have a tough time. I'd have to be able to easily synthesize not only what my list wants to do (or probably accurately, what it doesn't want to see) and also how to fuck with their list which is difficult since I don't even really know what half of their shit does.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are medium bases for sale anywhere? Don't want to spring for the scum conversion but have 2 IG2000 I'd like to run.

You'd need the conversion kit to get the tokens and cards for the IG2ks, though ... ?

• Options
    @ChaosHat

It's a bit bigger than phone size, but I use one of these:

https://go7gaming.com/product/bit-box-001/

... to carry my X-Wing tokens around. I'm generally bringing tokens for a couple of people, though, so it might be a bit too big for your tastes.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    When it comes to obstacles I've found if you list is:
    Quick and agile-> Evenly spaced around the board but close enough together that you can exploit the area vs a bigger/slower ship
    Big and slow-> Keep them rocks far apart if you can, or maybe off to an area?

I liked this breakdown: https://medium.com/186th-squadron/on-the-rocks-a-guide-to-asteroids-in-x-wing-f2fa7595fbfc
    A lot of this referenceds 1.0 stuff, but the basic concepts still apply.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @ChaosHat

It's a bit bigger than phone size, but I use one of these:

https://go7gaming.com/product/bit-box-001/

... to carry my X-Wing tokens around. I'm generally bringing tokens for a couple of people, though, so it might be a bit too big for your tastes.

That does look pretty good. I'm going to poke around at Michael's this week because someone there had one that looked perfect and he mentioned getting it there but it was hard to find. If I can't find it, I may go with that. The six compartment one looks good.
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    When it comes to obstacles I've found if you list is:
    Quick and agile-> Evenly spaced around the board but close enough together that you can exploit the area vs a bigger/slower ship
    Big and slow-> Keep them rocks far apart if you can, or maybe off to an area?

I liked this breakdown: https://medium.com/186th-squadron/on-the-rocks-a-guide-to-asteroids-in-x-wing-f2fa7595fbfc
    A lot of this referenceds 1.0 stuff, but the basic concepts still apply.

That's very helpful.

I'm poking around and Imperials seem to have very uninteresting 2.0 list options. I was trying to see what cool options I would have with a Reaper, and it seems like a Reaper + four TIE aces or more shitty ones would be optimal. You could do like, Vader/Reaper/Howlrunner but that seems...underwhelming. Maybe I'm putting too many points on Vader but he innately costs 70 so that seems to lean towards "I might as well give him the tools to do whatever." Stele is probably also fine, but then I'm losing Vader crap to pick up like one more ace or so. Ehhhh.

Maybe I need to fly the advanced more? It just seems pretty underwhelming for the cost for a ship that still does two damage dice.

I guess a Vader Double Reaper thing could be interesting? I doubt that I would use two reapers enough to justify the cost.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

I don't run IG2000s so I could send you mine.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    ChaosHat:

I know you mentioned going a bit on tilt by your last game, but I wanted to say how awesome it is that you stuck it out. There really is no substitute for playing a game, even if you are losing. In fact, I tell people who get into my games that they're likely going to lose for a bit to begin with. Thing is - now you know what isn't working, and what to build on.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    ChaosHat:

I know you mentioned going a bit on tilt by your last game, but I wanted to say how awesome it is that you stuck it out. There really is no substitute for playing a game, even if you are losing. In fact, I tell people who get into my games that they're likely going to lose for a bit to begin with. Thing is - now you know what isn't working, and what to build on.

The reason I was pretty tilty was just because at that point I pretty thoroughly knew the list was garbage and I felt that in a lot of respects there was no point in playing. I figured worst case scenario I could just try some shit though and still gain some experience with flying and gauging the templates. I fully expected to lose most if not all of my games going into it, I just felt like the lesson was pretty well hammered in at that point. I should just get in more reps in with like TTS or something.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

You'd need the conversion kit to get the tokens and cards for the IG2ks, though ... ?

I don't play competitively, never had the skill or desire, so just keeping the app around for the cards and using whatever tokens I have from 1e are fine with friends. Just don't have the bases.
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I don't run IG2000s so I could send you mine.

That'd be amazing!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    PM your shipping details then.

• Options
    So I got a TIE Reaper. Is it weird that I want to fly like five of them now and pretend they're Cylon Raiders?

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    So I got a TIE Reaper. Is it weird that I want to fly like five of them now and pretend they're Cylon Raiders?

Yes, because SW >> Bab5.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Yes, because SW >> Bab5.

True, but BSG > SW

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Yes, because SW >> Bab5.

True, but BSG > SW

And yet somehow Bab5 > BSG.
    I don't know how that works, but I read it on Facebook so it must be true.

• Options
    Wow, how'd I mess that one up?

I shall hang up my sign of nerd cred in shame ... :D

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Yes, because SW >> Bab5.

True, but BSG > SW

I read that ST > BSG.
    Also SW > ST.
    So doesn't that make SW > BSG?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Wow, how'd I mess that one up?

I shall hang up my sign of nerd cred in shame ... :D

And now you must relive the most heartbreaking moment of all of Star Wars: The Jedi Council shunning of Anakin's status as Jedi Master:
    9x2beo.gif

• Options
    I love all y'all.

• Options
    I saw all the new posts and was hoping there was new.

I wasn't disappointed at all :P

Also there's news! https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/11/7/advanced-terror/

• Options
    Fantasy flight keeps making these extra things I wasn't going to buy way more interesting. I really love the design of Longshot, extra die at 1 and 3 is a fucking cool idea.

Fly static with the shuttle and coordinate to focus and target lock every turn to blow shit up. Even the guy who takes a crit to give a crit had a shield so you can do it one time relatively free.

• Options
    So there's just the TIE Fighter up for pre-order on the FFG page and the resistance gets two ships, the T70 and the resistance A-Wing. I'm not going to get six, slightly different TIE fighters. I might have gotten like, two or three to run with other shit.

If the preorders on FFG's website metric is anything to go by I'll be pretty disappointed that there aren't more GCW era ships because 1.0 players have a hojillion options. Like I wasn't expecting all the ships at once but now it's like "Oh hat you have so many ships to choose from. I mean you can only use two at a time, and we pick the two but you can pick from any of these sets of two. Or this faction that has just one."

And then if they release the next wave with the Separatist/Old Republic crap without support for the old factions... Seems like too many factions too fast.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think the Old Republic stuff is too soon when they need to rerelease so much GCW stuff for 2.0 players.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Are there any EU ships that haven't been modeled yet that anyone would want to see?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Some of the scum stuff from SWG is about all that's left without getting into the million one-mention TIE variants and shit.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Are there any EU ships that haven't been modeled yet that anyone would want to see?

Uglies.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

The experimental TIEs from X-Wing Alliance, maybe?
    The Aleph fighter from the Vong era of the old EU might be interesting.

If they're able to do something interesting with the Droid star fighters for the Confederacy Systems ships, I think it'd be cool to see that brought over to the Imperial side with the TIE/Droid.
    And, if they bring in the TIE/Droid, then bringing in a smaller World Devastator as a huge ship might be doable. Or bring them to Armada.

As long as I'm dreaming, the Chiss Clawcraft could also be fun to see on the table.

I'd like to see Uglies as well, but I still don't know how you could model their oddness in a tabletop game without adding a whole lot of opportunity to break the game.

see317 on
  • Options
    Q1 release!

• Options
    That's a lot of ships.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    This means there has to be more ships in wave 2 than they've shown right? Otherwise the Empire ship allotment is wave 1: TIE Fighter and Advanced v1, wave 2: nothing, wave 3: TIE Striker. I can't fathom a world in which striker is printed before Interceptor or Bomber.

• Options
    I'd be surprised at this point if wave 2 had more. That's supposed to be out next month I think.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I'd be surprised at this point if wave 2 had more. That's supposed to be out next month I think.

It has to. There have to be more wave 3 ships too. Otherwise there are ZERO additional Rebel ships in waves 2 or 3. And Scum is going to get at least one ship in every wave! Even if you want to argue Rebels already pseudo have an extra ship's worth of cards via the X-Wing in Saw's Renegades, they'd still be behind and that doesn't do anything for the Imperials.

On one hand I can see the waves being WAAAAY too fucking big unless they're really leaning into "Just pick one faction and get their shit." On the other hand it's hard to really sell that when you're going to go two entire waves without a single Rebel ship. What's to keep you interested as a new Rebel player? Striker isn't even like...the third most interesting ship I would have picked for Imps. Interceptor, Bomber, Defender, or even the dang Shuttle. And neither of your "main" two factions has a single large base ship.

Unless they fucking love scum and hate everyone else there has to be more. They're going to sell people into buying into the First Order entirely on the back of TIE FOs and no other ship variety? Again it seems like a totally fucking insane ask and amount of content to dump out but I can't see it working any other way. Maybe wave 2 is two Resistance, two First order, one Imp, one Rebel, one Scum? That seems doable.

I wonder if there won't be a little starter kit for FO/Resistance like there is for Separatists and the Republic.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    I agree with you.

But if they were going to add more to them, they would be announced already and up for preorder months in advance, like all this new stuff is already. That's the part that doesn't make me hopeful.

• Options
    With 5 factions, FFG is either going to have to make huge waves of 5 ships each or stagger faction releases. It's a lose-lose scenario in my opinion. When it was just Rebels/Empire, 3/4-ship waves were fine and within the realm of purchasing them all. 5 ships base though? Yeah, that'd be too much for me if I was still playing.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    With 5 factions, FFG is either going to have to make huge waves of 5 ships each or stagger faction releases. It's a lose-lose scenario in my opinion. When it was just Rebels/Empire, 3/4-ship waves were fine and within the realm of purchasing them all. 5 ships base though? Yeah, that'd be too much for me if I was still playing.

Yeah, my second thought after "wow all this stuff is so cool!" was "ow my wallet".
    I imagine there will be more than a few people asking "well what about re-releases of 1.0 ships?"
    It wouldn't surprise me if more stuff than they originally led on was in line with Z-95/Y-wing/X-wing/Fang, where they get new paint jobs/sculpts/movable parts. I imagine that could cause some delays in their pacing.

Edit: that z-95 is slick. They're doing the right thing giving it a new paint job I think. I kinda want one even though I literally have all the other components that come in it, and don't really need another Z.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    What they should have done was release the Resistance conversion kits with the Republic/Separatist new faction shit in wave 2 with more GCW ships. Then, old players get to play with their old stuff. Die hards will buy that AND the new faction stuff. New players can 1) buy into a new faction 2) expand their existing factions 3) do some combination of both!

I get why old ships are problematic: If you offer an Interceptor and it has identical cards to the conversion kit, you're probably not going to move them to your old players which is probably the bulk of your player base. If you give them new cards that aren't in the conversion kits, well now you might be asking them to buy the ship all over again for a pilot card or two, even if they don't actually need anymore models which may anger them. If you sell Old Republic stuff you can sell that to both and everyone can be happy with the purchase since both new AND old players won't have any of it.

FFG seems to be in a tough spot. Seven ships a wave seems like both too many and not enough. It's too many to get them all, but if I only care about one faction it's a slow drip feed. Further, staggering the factions in each wave feels bad, although I'm sure it's a good way to get people to buy shit because it's new and there aren't any other ships in my faction available right now, so why the hell not. It seems nightmarish for LGSs to stock.

The hilarious thing is I would buy a lot more ships right now but the conversion kits are so cost prohibitive I'm not going to buy a whole bunch of ships AND the kit. Maybe they should have done it as boosters per ship? Then you can buy the 1.0 ship and pay 5 bucks for a little booster pack for the ship.