As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

As cool as winter, as hot as summer Dresden and other Books-Cinder Spires 2 is out!

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    The whole electronic thing always felt like a cheap copout to keep Harry from just using google, smartphone and gps to solve like 70% of his problems.

Rivers of London has similar(ish) magic ruins technology thing going, but done so much better, instead of just being an excuse to hamper the main character, it becomes an occasional plot point and has simple workarounds for day to day use.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Technically, none of that clears it up completely, either. Could be a mix and match like Polaritie said.

Full series:
    And it really should be as she was bullshited into taking the mantle against her will practically. If she loses her soul over it that's a crap deal. But then maybe it just will be, that be something for Dresden to feel guilty over.

Nah, Dresden knows
    about the best times of year for removing/exchanging mantles, and has been personal witness to several transitions of Faerie Court mantles.

It's practically Chekhov's Gun.
    hell he maybe can get santa to help him out

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    instead of just being an excuse to hamper the main character, it becomes an occasional plot point and has simple workarounds for day to day use.

I mean, Dresden Files does that, too? (Minor whole series spoilers)
    Like, wizards have lots of ways of doing long-range communication, there are a couple of times where Harry messing up technology becomes plot-relevant (including the USB-drive-with-sensitive-data bit) ...

Re: Finesse (whole series spoilers):
    We don't see it directly in the books, because watching Harry stand around practicing spells would be kinda boring, but Harry's improving finesse is brought up in several different ways:
    1. He mentions it straight out when discussing how he had to relearn some stuff when teach Molly, in that several things he hadn't been able to do at all before were now at least possible
    2. The creation of mini-Chicago
    3. His magical artisanship in general, where his second set of shield bracelets was much better than his first - blocking all kinds of things instead of just bullets or punches, though it takes a bit more energy
    4. Etc.

So, compared to the real magical heavyweights (e.g., Ivy, who basically took the equivalent of a single deep breath of magic and kept a bunch of Denarians on the run for minutes), he's still got a long way to go, but he's come a long way from the start, too.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Weren't there also indications that younger wizards are less incompatible with newer tech? Like, really old wizards had problems with milk curdling and physical devices. Dresden's generation is okay with mechanical stuff, but has issues with electronics.

Like as the technology seems less magical to the wizard, it's less incompatible with magic, or something.

No, it’s just that the definition of “modern tech” adjusts over time. A long time ago, magical people curdled milk. Or prevented radios from working. Nowadays, 1950s cars work okayish, but modern computerized cars shit the bed around the magically talented.
    That's literally exactly my argument? You just replaced the word newer with modern I guess?

You seemed to be tying it to the age of the wizard, rather than the state of the world. McCoy and the Merlin would be screwing up cell phones, too, not curdling milk. McCoy drives a 1940s-ish truck, not a horse and buggy.

Ah, well it does seem to be a bit both. Part consensus reality and part the wizard's own prejudices. Harry still can't use fancy electronics, but
    Molly and Butters seem fine with electronics. And I forget what that group of minor hedge wizards were called, but don't they have like, a UseNet group or something?

I don't think that's entirely right, at least not the examples. Skin Games spoilers
    Butters is not a wizard. He's not even like, a minor "hedge wizard." At best he's maybe trending towards that at the very end of the series with Bob's help, but even that's implied to not really be Butters having any magic himself.

I don't think Molly uses any electronics until she gets Winter Lady'd, and then she can, but it becomes a bigger deal. Her apartment had some electronic security or something maybe? But that was definitely the svartalfs, not her.

Skin Game (and after via Short Stories)
    Butters (and the other Knights) do not have any issues with Tech at all. He sorta screws around a bit with Bob but doesn't have any wizard magic himself and mostly just has Bob relay information. Bob is just a spirit and they don't seem to have the same issue that Wizards do.

Similar with Molly. I think when she was being crazy Bag Lady there was a reference to a cell phone that she kept powered down and even then had to replace it often.

The spooky net folks are all fairly weak so apparently don't have that issue.

Have the Alphas ever shown any trouble with technology?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Re: @DevoutlyApathetic 's spoiler:
    Nope - the Alpha's don't have any issues at all. In fact, they at one point had a really, really awesome high-tech, new-model SUV ...

... until they let Harry borrow it.

"The door is ajar."

instead of just being an excuse to hamper the main character, it becomes an occasional plot point and has simple workarounds for day to day use.

I mean, Dresden Files does that, too? (Minor whole series spoilers)
    Like, wizards have lots of ways of doing long-range communication, there are a couple of times where Harry messing up technology becomes plot-relevant (including the USB-drive-with-sensitive-data bit) ...
    In Rivers, wizards are perfectly fine using laptops, cellphones and pretty much any other modern technology as long as they commit to some simple precautions (though they can still break them by using powerful magic near them in an emergency).
    Dresden seems to break technology just by existing near it for a period of time.

Yes, Dresden Files does use the techbane in the story, but it always felt like a way to hamper characters for easier writing first and foremost.
    Like having poor cellphone reception or having everyone instantly scatter in a horror movie.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Weren't there also indications that younger wizards are less incompatible with newer tech? Like, really old wizards had problems with milk curdling and physical devices. Dresden's generation is okay with mechanical stuff, but has issues with electronics.

Like as the technology seems less magical to the wizard, it's less incompatible with magic, or something.

No, it’s just that the definition of “modern tech” adjusts over time. A long time ago, magical people curdled milk. Or prevented radios from working. Nowadays, 1950s cars work okayish, but modern computerized cars shit the bed around the magically talented.
    That's literally exactly my argument? You just replaced the word newer with modern I guess?

You seemed to be tying it to the age of the wizard, rather than the state of the world. McCoy and the Merlin would be screwing up cell phones, too, not curdling milk. McCoy drives a 1940s-ish truck, not a horse and buggy.

Ah, well it does seem to be a bit both. Part consensus reality and part the wizard's own prejudices. Harry still can't use fancy electronics, but
    Molly and Butters seem fine with electronics. And I forget what that group of minor hedge wizards were called, but don't they have like, a UseNet group or something?

PARANET.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    It was much earlier when Storm Front set the rules, remember cells weren't ubiquitous in 2000, but I believe Butcher totally copped to it being an excuse to avoid having cell phones solve too many problems.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    It was much earlier when Storm Front set the rules, remember cells weren't ubiquitous in 2000, but I believe Butcher totally copped to it being an excuse to avoid having cell phones solve too many problems.
    Problem with long running book series that are not period pieces, the "normal" changes so fast.
    Remember when youtube was not a thing?
    Remember when Altavista was?

• SleepSleep Registered User regular

To be fair...i won't give my D&D players ubiquitous sending stones for the same reason.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Problem with long running book series that are not period pieces, the "normal" changes so fast.

"Has nobody in this town heard of Google?"

steam_sig.png
    Sleep wrote: »

To be fair...i won't give my D&D players ubiquitous sending stones for the same reason.
    That said, those are not sold in every town for 20 to 50 coppers.

edited November 2018

I remember the time before the internet, when Bulletin Board Systems ruled the land and people were connected 300 baud at a time. When running a BBS required 20 land lines and a bank of modems in a closet. A time when IRC was but an infant.

I remember the ancient times of 1997, when Geocities ruled the social spaces, and every grocery store would include a free AOL CD with your purchase. A time when AOL Instant Messenger was used by all to chat. A time when Google was but a babe in the woods, and Internet Explorer was king.

I remember the olden times of 2003, when MySpace was the most popular social media platform and AOL had tens of millions of users. When YouTube was first born.

I remember the middling times of 2007 to 2010, when the upstarts slew the elders. Facebook declining offers in the billions of dollars crushes MySpace. Twitter becomes a source of breaking news. When Microsoft launched Bing in an attempt to kill the king of kings, Google.

I remember the recent times of 2011 and on, when the few remaining elders and the many upstarts made of themselves the Kings of the Internet. And ware anyone who would attempt to dethrone a king, for these kings shape the world.

I remember these times because I am old and decrepit at only 41 years of age. And soon, you too shall remember the dead fads of generations ago and wonder at the marvels of this Modern Area...this Information Age.

Heffling on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I can totally see the paranet looking like a geo cities web ring to discourage the non magical folk looking too deep. They're just like thousands of other "weirdos" who like the paranormal a bit too much and blend right in.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

I remember the time before the internet, when Bulletin Board Systems ruled the land and people were connected 300 baud at a time. When running a BBS required 20 land lines and a bank of modems in a close. A time when IRC was but an infant.

I remember the ancient times of 1997, when Geocities ruled the social spaces, and every grocery store would include a free AOL CD with your purchase. A time when AOL Instant Messenger was used by all to chat. A time when Google was but a babe in the woods, and Internet Explorer was king.

I remember the olden times of 2003, when MySpace was the most popular social media platform and AOL had tens of millions of users. When YouTube was first born.

I remember the middling times of 2007 to 2010, when the upstarts slew the elders. Facebook declining offers in the billions of dollars crushes MySpace. Twitter becomes a source of breaking news. When Microsoft launched Bing in an attempt to kill the king of kings, Google.

I remember the recent times of 2011 and on, when the few remaining elders and the many upstarts made of themselves the Kings of the Internet. And ware anyone who would attempt to dethrone a king, for these kings shape the world.

I remember these times because I am old and decrepit at only 41 years of age. And soon, you too shall remember the dead fads of generations ago and wonder at the marvels of this Modern Area...this Information Age.

I used to remember a bit more than you, but at the severely old age of 51 I can barely remember my name.

I do miss BBS’s. I used to be on one where we had weekly meet ups !

50433.png?1708759015
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

I remember the time before the internet, when Bulletin Board Systems ruled the land and people were connected 300 baud at a time. When running a BBS required 20 land lines and a bank of modems in a close. A time when IRC was but an infant.

I used to remember a bit more than you, but at the severely old age of 51 I can barely remember my name.

Yeah, I fondly recall the days of 8086's and how excited my parents and their friends were with the releases of the 8088's. And the massive speed up of games in going from an 80286 to an 80386 (286 to 386).

I've always wondered if maybe Harry's fear of technology was all him, and all other wizards can use cell phones.

For a modern gaming perspective, I love that in Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition that vampires can't use cell phones without expending blood to make their fingers live.

Yeah, I fondly recall the days of 8086's and how excited my parents and their friends were with the releases of the 8088's. And the massive speed up of games in going from an 80286 to an 80386 (286 to 386).

I've always wondered if maybe Harry's fear of technology was all him, and all other wizards can use cell phones.

For a modern gaming perspective, I love that in Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition that vampires can't use cell phones without expending blood to make their fingers live.
    As long as that's only for smartphones and not easy to use granny models, that's kinda awesome.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I remember being able to differentiate what baud we were connecting at by the sounds the modem gave. "Crap, hang up, try again, we got the 28.8 line".

Also, ringing up a simply unreasonable long distance bill accidentally by calling out to BBS's that were out of town (not international or anything, but not local either).

Mistakes were made.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!

As long as that's only for smartphones and not easy to use granny models, that's kinda awesome.

Correct. BlackBerry was shut down by vampire hunters.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    But... there are gloves that work with the screens.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

By letting your normal finger effect through.

Phoenix-D wrote: »

By letting your normal finger effect through.

Oh, is that how they work?

• EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    Huh, so what is [Current Year] in Desden Files?

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    EvilOtaku wrote: »
    Huh, so what is [Current Year] in Desden Files?

It's a bit timey whimey because some of the earlier dates don't quite work. But around 2013.

• LeeksLeeks Registered User regular

Wouldn't a stylus be just as effective?

Leeks wrote: »

Wouldn't a stylus be just as effective?
    Most of those still rely on you to work.
    You could probably find some device that does the job though, provided the storyteller/gm/whatever is a reasonable person.

edited November 2018
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I could swear it's not about 'us' so much as a material that manages to complete the circuit.

I don't know the full science behind it, but could accept that a 'dead' hand wouldn't have the same conductive properties as a 'live' one. In setting, I'm cool with that.

I'm pretty sure a stylus has nothing to do with relying on 'us'. It's just a material that has the right conductive properties to work with the screen. That could be a good workaround for vampires who can't be bothered using a resource to make a call, but I could also see it being a matter of, much like normal people, many find it a nuisance to have to use it at all.

I get that some people like them, and have seen remarkable art done with one, but if I'm just phone posting or wiki'ing something, the last thing I want is to have to poke at letters with one of those.

Even if I were immortal, I can't see that annoyance go away.

Though now I'm imagining the wiki that the Paranet must have going, and the running battle with edits that would occur as other beings/their minions try to change things up, insert false information, etc.

I have to assume that the Dresden Files RPG probably touches on some of these elements. I have the first 2 books, and I think the 3rd is just outright about the Paranet. (Fake edit: it is)

Real edit: well that's annoying; it's available on Amazon.com, but not on .ca. Might be able to avoid shipping by checking local gaming shops, but DFRPG isn't exactly a huge name that I'd expect to find easily on shelves either.

Forar on
    Jim Butcher announced that Evil Hat Productions had the Dresden Files license in December 2004 and that they were due to launch the game in Summer 2006. Evil Hat started recruiting playtesters for The Dresden Files in late 2007, starting external play-testing in January 2008 and playtesting continued through 2008 and 2009. The game was opened for preorders in April 2010 and released in June 2010, to coincide with Origins 2010.

Announced in 2004, aimed for release in 2006, actually released in 2010.

It's... basically the Dresden Files in a nutshell at this point. :-P

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Forar wrote: »
    Though now I'm imagining the wiki that the Paranet must have going, and the running battle with edits that would occur as other beings/their minions try to change things up, insert false information, etc.

I have to assume that the Dresden Files RPG probably touches on some of these elements. I have the first 2 books, and I think the 3rd is just outright about the Paranet. (Fake edit: it is)
    I'd really like to read the Paranet wiki on the Red Court vampires.
    Just pages on pages of lore and information on location and movements and assorted strengths and weaknesses crossed out, the only annotation: Nevermind, Dresden was here.

see317 on
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Just pages on pages of lore and information on location and movements and assorted strengths and weaknesses crossed out, the only annotation: Nevermind, Dresden was here.

Weakness = angry wizard.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Hey so spoilers, guys. Pretty damn big spoilers @kaid @see317

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Sorry about that Ket.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

Luccio's a wizardly computer geek in the novels - she enjoys reading about programming and computer science, even though she's said she can't actually use them.

(Now I'm wondering if there actually are any wizard programmers in the setting. Write your incantations out in longhand, pass them off to a muggle to implement...)

KetBra wrote: »

I don't mean to be an ass, but Changes came out 8 years ago. OP only has restrictions on Skin Games, which at this point is still 3 years old.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

I don't mean to be an ass, but Changes came out 8 years ago. OP only has restrictions on Skin Games, which at this point is still 3 years old.

Ok, I only said that because there was someone reading through the books for the first time a few pages back, and people have been spoiling most important things in the thread

But you do you

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Hey so spoilers, guys. Pretty damn big spoilers kaid see317

The OP wrote:
    Also, use spoilers for major events or twist. If you are discussing the new book put everything in spoilers for the newest book, some folks gotta work for a livin'. For older books try to keep it to minor stuff unspoiled and major stuff spoiled.

I'd say that's a major event

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I have a feeling that this long of a break between books is really gonna hurt the popularity of the series going forward, especially with what, like eight more books planned?

I remember when that RPG was going to be a big deal and the TV show was supposed to be a big deal and that all has more or less passed, then almost another decade before the next book.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I could swear it's not about 'us' so much as a material that manages to complete the circuit.

I don't know the full science behind it, but could accept that a 'dead' hand wouldn't have the same conductive properties as a 'live' one. In setting, I'm cool with that.

I'm pretty sure a stylus has nothing to do with relying on 'us'. It's just a material that has the right conductive properties to work with the screen. That could be a good workaround for vampires who can't be bothered using a resource to make a call, but I could also see it being a matter of, much like normal people, many find it a nuisance to have to use it at all.

I get that some people like them, and have seen remarkable art done with one, but if I'm just phone posting or wiki'ing something, the last thing I want is to have to poke at letters with one of those.

Even if I were immortal, I can't see that annoyance go away.

Real edit: well that's annoying; it's available on Amazon.com, but not on .ca. Might be able to avoid shipping by checking local gaming shops, but DFRPG isn't exactly a huge name that I'd expect to find easily on shelves either.

Capacitive touch screens (the type on phones and tablets and such) rely on the thing touching it not only being conductive but also being grounded. Humans are pretty much always relatively grounded and human flesh is a decent conductor. Holding a copper rod with an insulating glove will make said rod not work as a stylus but holding it in your hand will. The stylus that you can buy for various devices uses conductive rubber that effectively makes contact with both the screen and your hand, again relying on you being grounded and conductive.

Dessicated flesh probably wouldn't work with a phone (leather is not a great conductor, for example) and Vampire: the Masquerade, at least last time I played it, never really delves into how...moist...a vampire is at any given time so I could see potential for needing to freshen up your animate corpse a bit to use a touch screen, even with a stylus.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian

My attempt on that:
    On XX/YY/ZZZZ, the entire Red Court died. How this happened remains unclear. Rumors suggest it may be related to Warden Commander Harry Dresden assuming the position of Winter Knight the day before. What is clear is the totally of the event - no vampires of the Red Court are known to have survived, and all institutions known to be controlled by them (and many only suspected) were plunged into chaos. The remainder of this article is being preserved as historical record.

I like to think the Paranet wouldn't have known right away what happened. At least not until the White Council put the word out that the war was over. I would expect they would announce the Red Court had been slain in its entirety, but they wouldn't mention anything of how. At most, acknowledging that an assault on the Red Court had been executed, and that there was little chance any member of the court had escaped. Truthful while implying a far superior position than the Council actually had (the assault actually being a desperation move... though I suppose Ebenezer's involvement makes it easy to claim it was totally sanctioned, if perhaps too successful). No mention of Winter's involvement, though the Paranet would have known Dresden had taken the mantle of Winter Knight since Mab advertised that to the whole Nevernever.

I'm curious how much the Paranet was told about the war - I'm sure the White Council was just fine with publishing an official guide to red court vampires and how to avoid them, and Dresden would have told them how to keep their heads down in that fight anyways. I doubt it went much further than that though.

• RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

My attempt on that:
    On XX/YY/ZZZZ, the entire Red Court died. How this happened remains unclear. Rumors suggest it may be related to Warden Commander Harry Dresden assuming the position of Winter Knight the day before. What is clear is the totally of the event - no vampires of the Red Court are known to have survived, and all institutions known to be controlled by them (and many only suspected) were plunged into chaos. The remainder of this article is being preserved as historical record.

I like to think the Paranet wouldn't have known right away what happened. At least not until the White Council put the word out that the war was over. I would expect they would announce the Red Court had been slain in its entirety, but they wouldn't mention anything of how. At most, acknowledging that an assault on the Red Court had been executed, and that there was little chance any member of the court had escaped. Truthful while implying a far superior position than the Council actually had (the assault actually being a desperation move... though I suppose Ebenezer's involvement makes it easy to claim it was totally sanctioned, if perhaps too successful). No mention of Winter's involvement, though the Paranet would have known Dresden had taken the mantle of Winter Knight since Mab advertised that to the whole Nevernever.

I'm curious how much the Paranet was told about the war - I'm sure the White Council was just fine with publishing an official guide to red court vampires and how to avoid them, and Dresden would have told them how to keep their heads down in that fight anyways. I doubt it went much further than that though.

On the other hand...
    On the other hand the Paranet has a guy who tracks how often boats are rented and uses it to claim that dark forces are on the rise. And he was right.