As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Modern Horizons spoilers happening now!

jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
edited May 2019 in Social Entropy++
Magic: the Gathering is a fantasy trading card game from Wizards of the Coast that has been in continuous production for over 25 years. You can check out the official website for more information on the franchise as a whole, including articles on game design, strategy, and lore. The game is played in a variety of formats, from those that can include nearly every card ever printed, to formats that only use sealed product for deck building, to formats that only use common cards. You can find information about all of the official formats here, and both a quick-start guide and the comprehensive rules here. There are also tons of unofficial formats that are supported by communities both online and at your local gaming store.

Arena is the latest digital version of the game, utilizing a free-to-play model and currently only supporting the Standard format and current limited formats, as well as some occasional digital-only formats/oddballs. You can download the game here. Magic Online is the original digital Magic platform and is still the primary official way to play non-Standard constructed formats online. They also run cube and chaos drafts on MTGO. You can download the client here.

If you're interested in competitive play, you can find information on the various levels of paper competitive play here. In addition to Wizards' own high-level tournaments, Star City Games runs their own national tournament series with large monetary prizes and Invitational, you can find information on their tournaments here. There is also an eSports series based around Arena, you can find information about that here.

Some other resources:

TCGPlayer.com can help you find the market values of cards before you make a purchase or trade. They also have an iPhone/Android app that allows you to scan cards and find their value/catalog them.
Gatherer is the official card search engine from WotC, featuring up-to-date oracle text, errata, format legality, and important rulings for every card in the game.

Recent and Upcoming News:

- Ravnica Allegiance was released on Jan. 25th, and the next expansion, War of the Spark, releases in paper May 3rd. Paper prerelease for WotS is April 27th-28th, it releases on Arena on the 25th. War for the Spark concludes the ongoing story arc surrounding Nicol Bolas, features "something crazy" that has never been done before.
- Modern Horizons was announced last week, it will be a 254 card expansion that "skips Standard," being legal only in Modern, Legacy, Vintage, and other formats that do not use the Standard-format card pool. It'll feature brand new cards and reprints of cards not currently legal in Modern.
- The 2019 Challenger Decks have been announced, and will be available April 12th.
- MagicFest Kyoto is this weekend, March 22nd, featuring a Standard-format Grand Prix.
- The first Mythic Championship concluded February 24th, with Autumn Burnett taking the title of first Mythic Champion, as well as becoming the first non-male Pro Tour/MC winner, first trans + non-binary winner, and first English winner.

jgeis on

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Oh, thanks OP! Answered my Q! Was wondering what this UMA thing on reddit was...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    4-0 at FNM tonight with Selesnya tokens! And I ended up with three copies of the promo Conclave Tribunal, so I can bling out my deck some

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    So I feel like the obvious conclusion is that Ultimate Masters is the next masters set, and these are promo versions of cards already in the set. And you get these either by:

A) Opening them like masterpieces, which would be fine as long as the normal versions are in the set
    B) Buying a box. Which is kinda boring and completely irrelevant to someone like me who never buys boxes, but would triple the supply at least. This seems like the more likely option given the "Box Topper" labeling.

Also the art on some of these is really great. Like, here's the old art for Dark Depths, and here's the new art. Same scene, different angle!

• Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    Pauper is fun on arena except when you’re collection is much lower on commons than you thought. I’ve scored some decent card prizes at least.

Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    Opened the vault for the first time since MTGA went open beta. Didn't take quite as long as I assumed, but it's also not a huge reward.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Ultimate Masters stream is happening now, it's a full 254 card Masters set coming December 7th. The Ultimate Box Toppers are promo packs that will come with boxes of Ultimate Masters, there are regular frame versions of the promos in the set.

Edit: The set will be priced at $335.76/box MSRP from your LGS, big box retailers will have 3 pack blisters for $34.99. Only full booster boxes come with the Ultimate Box Topper pack.

Karn Liberated was the last unknown box topper promo.

This the last Masters set "for a while."

jgeis on
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Wew lad. $14 per pack? Really?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    pretty standard for Masters sets

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    It really isn't! The first was $7! Then they bumped it to $10 and people were grumbling THEN!

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    It is quite a bit, although the EV seems to at least be higher than the last few Masters sets. Won't know for sure until the whole spoiler is released of course.

• Options
    never seen a masters sell for msrp

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I saw Masters 25 blisters at Target pretty regularly.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    All of the BAB promos are sweet but the crappy manlands are kinda crappy

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    The announcement article on the mothership states that "we're shelving the Masters series for the foreseeable future. We are instead focusing on other products that will also include reprints."

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    The announcement article on the mothership states that "we're shelving the Masters series for the foreseeable future. We are instead focusing on other products that will also include reprints."

Read: Battlebond, Conspiracy, etc.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I will take all of the Conspiracy sets they would like to print, please.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    conspiracy and battlebond are much better ideas than masters sets

i really wish wotc would just reprint everything and destroy the secondary market, at this point

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    i really wish wotc would just reprint everything and destroy the secondary market, at this point
    Wait, I need to find and sell my dual lands, first.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    eat the capitalist

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    eat the capitalist

That's it, I'm voting Republican tomorrow because of this attack.

And I live in Arizona.

/s

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    conspiracy and battlebond are much better ideas than masters sets

I wish I cared about any of the supplemental stuff like Battlebond or Conspiracy.

I wish I still knew what it was like to experience fun.

• Options
    a median standard deck costs like $200 so i don't know if this is the hobby for that meme

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    a median standard deck costs like $200 so i don't know if this is the hobby for that meme

I mean a product with a $335 MSRP was announced today so...

• Options
    This Standard format is pretty affordable all things considered. The mono-blue deck Gabriel Nassif took to 2nd place at GP Lille averages $73 to build from scratch. Even the most expensive decks aren't as bad as some historical ones, we're talking like $5-600 tops. The mean cost of a deck in the top 8 of GP New Jersey was $450.

• Options

I mean a product with a $335 MSRP was announced today so...

i know and i respect people who are frustrated that price of things go up

but also this is such a nakedly, transparently capitalist game that i struggle to raise my eyebrows at this particular product

like why would they not

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I actually think it's possible that $335 is still low enough to turn a profit on singles. It'll depend on the full set list and whether or not it affects single prices in any significant way, but there are a lot of really high value cards in the set.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Ancient tomb has dropped by ~$8 since the box topper was spoiled, been looking to pick up another copy for edh.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    Ancient tomb has dropped by ~$8 since the box topper was spoiled, been looking to pick up another copy for edh.

Where are you looking at pricing? There are hardly any sold eBay listings since the box toppers were first opened on Friday one sold for $26 and another mint one was BIN'd for $41. MTG Goldfish's tracker doesn't show a sharp decline yet.

Edit: I bought 4 last month for between $36 and $40 for minty ones.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    For once I hate this "And it's out tomorrow!" gimmick. I'm already trying to budget for Christmas... and Smash Bros... But I CAN'T sleep on this chance to buy my Noble Hierarchs.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Was looking at the lowest current ebay BiN prices, saw $32 earlier. Last time I was looking they were ~40 listed.
    edit:looks like that one was re-listed for 32.99.

E.Coyote on
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    I actually think it's possible that $335 is still low enough to turn a profit on singles. It'll depend on the full set list and whether or not it affects single prices in any significant way, but there are a lot of really high value cards in the set.

Talking to LGS in NZ, it's looking like that's going to translate to roughly ~$600 NZD per box (~1.25 PS4 consoles), and most are not looking at selling single boosters at this time, so I'm guessing uptake from retailers here is going to be limited.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Wait this set has 20 mythics? Is that how Masters sets work?

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    collectible card games are just as bald-faced gambling as loot boxes are and should be legislated as such

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    collectible card games are just as bald-faced gambling as loot boxes are and should be legislated as such

This take burned off my eyebrows

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Wait this set has 20 mythics? Is that how Masters sets work?

Nope, 20 I guess. The last couple had 15 but I guess they upped it.

jgeis on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Whippy wrote: »

This take burned off my eyebrows

hope you enjoy going to the card store and spending three hundred dollars on 4 slices of teferi cardboard

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    LCGs should be the standard, but it won’t happen.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    LCGs should be the standard, but it won’t happen.

the biggest LCG just died

granted it was licensing, but rip

This discussion has been closed.