As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Cooking thread] what is the internet but an enormous recipe book?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I just purchased a LEM vertical sausage stuffer

.... a very expensive sausage stuffer

I am NOT allowed to buy any more food stuff this year! You all need to stop me!

edit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWZ6AEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fun fact, you can buy an attachment for that which allows you to make churros as well.

You've just killed a man.

I've never actually had a churro so I'm not in any danger

they're basically just straight cinnamon twists right?

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    They are delicious pillowy cinnamon sugar donuts when made well.

that does sound like something that would kill me slowly

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I believe they're usually served with very thick european style hot chocolate, for the dipping.

V1m wrote: »
    I believe they're usually served with very thick european style hot chocolate, for the dipping.

Either that or dulce de leche, yeah.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    The only reason I know that is because my favorite restaurant has a window to the kitchen and one time I was sitting next to the window one of the prep cooks was stuffing the thing full of dough and then extruding churros the length of her hand to fill up a tray. The link posted looks pretty similar to the one they were using so I guess it can do any number of special purposes.

steam_sig.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    People who use metal equipment on coated cookware needs to be thrown in a fire.

Casually Hardcore on
  • ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    People who used metal equipment on coated cookware needs to be thrown in a fire.

My Mum does this, and I also caught her using a partially broken, jagged knife to move stuff around in a nonstick pan. She did not understand why it made me so angry.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    What I don’t get is that I know a couple who’s all about organic and shit because of toxins and crap but here they are, scrap scrap scrapping Teflon into their food. I explain to them that once Teflon is in you, it ain coming out, and they should use the appropriate tools. The just shrug their shoulders and continue to scramble their eggs with a metal fork on a Teflon coated pan.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    My new santoku knife is so sharp I accidentally cut spacetime. Sorry, guys.

I'm making Tacos tonight!

Celebration Tacos!

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I've recently come around to realize just how good mushrooms can be in a sandwich. For dinner tonight I made myself a sandwich with some chopped and sautee'd mushrooms, browned onions, and cheese, and it was delicious. Didn't need any meat at all for it to be filling and to get a nice meaty taste to it. I think I'm gonna experiment more with mushrooms when making lunches for myself in the future, because it's such a good ingredient. Pretty light, too.

My brother hates mushrooms, so all the more for me, I guess.

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    My new santoku knife is so sharp I accidentally cut spacetime. Sorry, guys.

i see you went with the subtle knife model

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

Xaquin wrote: »
    I'm making Tacos tonight!

Celebration Tacos!

Well, they turned from celebration tacos into I hate this god damn administration tacos, but they are really really good anyway

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I'm making shepherd's pie for dinner. Sort of.
    I'm using left over mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes, and some left over cubed steak that I've chopped up instead of the more common ground beef, and the only vegetables I had on hand were som frozen peas, so in they go.

Worst case scenario: I'm out of leftovers and have learned a valuable lesson regarding substituting not potatoes for potatoes.

But it's smelling pretty tasty, so, fingers crossed.

Edit:
    Turned out really tasty. I may have left it under the broiler for a bit longer than I should have, just wanted to get a little bit of toastiness on top.
    xi5d92cs8sh5.jpg

Think I'll consider this one a success.

see317 on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I recently started putting peas in my lamb and eggplant shepherd's pie. It's a good move.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Got my pancetta fridge holding 55 degrees with around 60% humidity

Hopefully this turns out well in a couple weeks!

y5uowr12md33.jpg

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Does anyone know a good pepper grinder (just for black peppercorn)?

Like the only one I've got is one of those ones that comes on top of those small McCormick spice bottles

what a happy day it is
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »

Like the only one I've got is one of those ones that comes on top of those small McCormick spice bottles

Oxo makes good stuff

edited November 2018
    Got my sausage stuffer, 2.5 lbs of venison, and a half pound of pork fat. Sausage this weekend!

edit: hopefully anyway

I have to work all Sunday, so it may have to wait till next week

Xaquin on
    My wife, in typical my wife fashion, wants to go to a pig butchering class for her birthday. So we're doing that.

winner winner chicken pork dinner!

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

I bought this one a couple of years ago and it is still doing a good job. I googled articles of top pepper grinders while I was in a Bed, Bath & Beyond and they had this one in stock.

https://www.amazon.ca/COLE-MASON-Derwent-Pepper-Grinder/dp/B003OICYZO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1541708970&sr=8-8&keywords=pepper+grinder

steam_sig.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I bought this one for my father a few years ago. He loves it*.

c7fwny9o6m8y.jpg

*Probably nothing to do with it's grinding qualities though.

Got invited to a Friendsgiving next weekend! I'm bringing tiramisu and two loaves of bread, one of Rose Levy Beranbaum's basic sandwich loaf and one of her cinnamon spiral bread. Since I moved into town from the sticks, I should be able to get them from oven to table in ten minutes flat.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I made 6 thoroughly mediocre chicken pot pies tonight. The only reason I'm even mentioning it is because though I needed more seasonings and more cream, I NAILED gluten free crust! It was light, flaky, and delicious and I'm proud of myself

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Update on the low carb shepherd's pie I mentioned above.
    It was even better the second night.

Sadly, I am now out of shepherd's pie. But, it was easy and tasty enough to make again.

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Thanks for the recommendations, I'll probably go with OXO 'cuz I've got some of their products and they seem alright

what a happy day it is
    I've never been bummed that I bought an OXO utensil. They are remarkably consistent in quality.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I ended up buying Peugeot mills because I wanted the wood look, but all of the Oxo stuff I own also rocks so do that.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Thanks for the recommendations, I'll probably go with OXO 'cuz I've got some of their products and they seem alright

If you haven't ordered yet I got this one after reading pepper grinder reviews. I've loved it so far. Fresh ground pepper has been an amazing change.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDY8RNC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I ended up buying Peugeot mills because I wanted the wood look, but all of the Oxo stuff I own also rocks so do that.

I love my Peugeot pepper mill (and the adjustable grind setting) but apparently I lived up to my namesake one day and dropped it and the wood trim at the bottom cracked into two pieces. Been meaning to epoxy it back on but it still works fine. 5/5 grind quality, 5/5 looks, 2/5 durability.

I've had this pepper mill for 20 years (or one very similar to it)

it's a good pepper mill

iqto0t8zb587.jpg

it is actually wine bottle sized and holds a goodly amount of peppercorns

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I don't have a pepper mill

Also I don't really like black pepper

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

That's unimaginable to me. I need it like a Navigator needs The Spice.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    V1m wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

That's unimaginable to me. I need it like a Navigator needs The Spice.

I mean I won't say no to it if someone offers it or a dish has it. It adds something. But I can usually take it or leave it.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    A little late to the party, but I really recommend that whichever mill you get use a ceramic burr grinder rather than steel. They are much less prone to corrosion (which is something you need to be wary about with steel, especially if you grind directly over a steaming pot). Also you shouldn't use pink or green peppercorns with steel burrs, again due to the moisture.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    my pepper grinder has a coarse setting and it's the only one I use

it doesn't grind the peppercorns so much as convince them to split into quarters, and I love it

This discussion has been closed.