As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    If you're real new with lights I'd recommend using one with a long range weapon like an er ppc and shooting from cover or over cover with jump jets until you're more comfortable with the piloting in a general sense.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Warehouse. Found it.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    If you're real new with lights I'd recommend using one with a long range weapon like an er ppc and shooting from cover or over cover with jump jets until you're more comfortable with the piloting in a general sense.

Yeah, this strategy works well for flanking as a new pilot, but you still have to always be moving. You pop up, put some damage on, and then reposition. Being successful with this strat also relies heavily on map positioning. You need to work hard to find those killer spots and exploit the hell out of them when you do. Also you don't want to get too far from your team either, cause you can easily get wolfpacked by enemy lights if you're way out of position.

Another option for light mechs is to play something like the kit fox in a nearly pure support role; Triple AMS + ECM. You provide a missile bubble for your assaults and either wait to pick off weakened mechs, or focus on long range sniping.

Edit: Third Option - Artic Cheetah.

Dark_Side on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I'm at the point now in my WHM-6D where we can lose, but since I did 800+ damage I still get bumped in rating.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Hmm. I'm thinking about what my next mech is going to be.
    LBX-nipple Warhammer or 3xRAC2 Marauder 3R.

I'm leaning towards tripple RAC2 marauder. Those Ballistic slots are so nice.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hmm. I'm thinking about what my next mech is going to be.
    LBX-nipple Warhammer or 3xRAC2 Marauder 3R.

I'm leaning towards tripple RAC2 marauder. Those Ballistic slots are so nice.

It also gives you some flexibility on loadouts. For example:

1) 3xRAC2
    2) 2xRAC5
    3) 2xL.Gauss
    4) 2xLB10X
    5) Heavy gauss
    6) AC20/UAC20/LB20X

All are good fun!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Wow so battletech fooled me. Here I thought this was going to be a battle about the royal family. Maybe it still will be, but I was pretty surprised at the end of mission 1.

On the first real mission and getting a bug where after loading my game it just gets stuck. Didn't notice there was a turret generator at the end and got shredded by the turrets. I swear I looked for one too when I first started attacking. As soon as I do any real movement it just locks up. Hoping a PC restart does something. Pretty cool game though. Pretty sure I'm bad.

Question. I decided to change up my mech before taking my first contract and it is going to take 36 days. Is there any way to just skip time or am I going to be down a mech?

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Question. I decided to change up my mech before taking my first contract and it is going to take 36 days. Is there any way to just skip time or am I going to be down a mech?

You start with 5 mechs, so it means you will have to use the locust on your mission, until your Blackjack is ready again.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Also, is this game like XCOM where you are going to lose pilots and mechs as you go along?

Also, is this game like XCOM where you are going to lose pilots and mechs as you go along?

It's a lot harder to lose mechs&pilots than it is to lose guys in XCOM. But at some point there will be that lucky AC20 headshot that decapitates one of your mechs, killing the mech and pilot in one fell swoop.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"

It's a lot harder to lose mechs&pilots than it is to lose guys in XCOM. But at some point there will be that lucky AC20 headshot that decapitates one of your mechs, killing the mech and pilot in one fell swoop.

Well in my first real mission one of my light scout mechs just got blasted. Pretty sure they were one shot. The CT was destroyed and the pilot is out for over 100 days. I have 2 mechs not recieving repairs, and pretty sure the others are still going to go past the travel time for my next bounty. I could buy 2 more light mechs.

Did I already lose this game? LOL!

Well in my first real mission one of my light scout mechs just got blasted. Pretty sure they were one shot. The CT was destroyed and the pilot is out for over 100 days. I have 2 mechs not recieving repairs, and pretty sure the others are still going to go past the travel time for my next bounty. I could buy 2 more light mechs.

Possibly. Maybe not. The first mission is tough. Mainly because your mechs are paper-armored. In the first mission you should play very conservatively, and post-mission you should rebuild most of your mechs so that they have near-maximum front armor and at least 25 points of rear armor on each torso component.

Also, in the mechbay you can manage the repair queue, because it only repairs one mech at a time (so place those quick repairs at the top).

Possibly. Maybe not. The first mission is tough. Mainly because your mechs are paper-armored. In the first mission you should play very conservatively, and post-mission you should rebuild most of your mechs so that they have near-maximum front armor and at least 25 points of rear armor on each torso component.

Also, in the mechbay you can manage the repair queue, because it only repairs one mech at a time (so place those quick repairs at the top).

Ya I think one thing I shouldn't have done is I thought this was a mission with a test of sorts. I thought I was on a clock with the escaping convoy, so I sent my fast mechs out ahead to trash the convoy, while my two mediums dealt with the two mechs. I now see that this isn't actually what you're expected to do.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I think most people lose Dekker and the Spider their first go out. Its a bad mech in Battletech.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I'll always have a bit of affection for the awesome art used on the cardboard [stand] of the Spider in the old 4th Ed Battletech starter box, but it really doesn't seem viable in most any game system.
    4goh03itmawd.jpg
    Granted, it's a bit too super robot for the general Battletech aesthetic, but man does it look cool. It's practically a robot version of Ultimate Spider-Man.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    That's basically what happened except it wasn't dekker because I had put the defender person in dekkers old mech I believe.

Need to look through my saves, might see if I have an older one before I completed the mission.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    There’s a let’s play I’ve been following for Battletech that managed to keep Dekker alive, he’s currently in a Banshee with arm mods and a bunch of small lasers

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I'll always have a bit of affection for the awesome art used on the cardboard [stand] of the Spider in the old 4th Ed Battletech starter box, but it really doesn't seem viable in most any game system.
    4goh03itmawd.jpg
    Granted, it's a bit too super robot for the general Battletech aesthetic, but man does it look cool. It's practically a robot version of Ultimate Spider-Man.

Spider-Man, you say?
    celebrity_endorsement.jpg

It actually would't be that hard to convert a normal Spider model to look like the cardboard standee; just trim off the lower back fins, and add some mandibles up from the shoulders and some greebles on the legs.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Oh look, a preview of Career Mode for Battletech 1.3!

Here it is!

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I don't think I lost a single pilot in my first playthrough but that definitely involved some reloading of saves. I hate recruiting new people in any game so I just go with the first set of dudes.

That said, the game can be pretty harsh and if you're after "realism" then yeah it's expected to probably lose one or two through the missions.

It's good to have a few in the stable to mitigate injury downtime too.

Watching that career mode video and it seems like there is a time cap of 1200 days. I hope that gets modded out day 1.

I'm gonna need at least 25,000 days.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    You can play past the 1200 days. That's just how long you have to accumulate a career score.

Ah, I still don't think that's enough :)

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    The tutorial is pretty poor at telling you much of what you need to know. A game isn't sunk after a poor start, but it might be worth restarting after that first mission with some lessons learned. You can skip the tutorial and go right to that first mission as an option in the custom campaign startup.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Iolo wrote: »
    The tutorial is pretty poor at telling you much of what you need to know. A game isn't sunk after a poor start, but it might be worth restarting after that first mission with some lessons learned. You can skip the tutorial and go right to that first mission as an option in the custom campaign startup.

Oh that makes it an easy decision ! I did not know this!

I think maybe I should hold of replacing the AC/2 on my starting mech until after a mission? Seemed like it was taking forever, and maybe it wasn't a good idea anyways. Removed 2 m lasers, 2 jump jets and a heat sink for 2 AC/5. Just know the ac/2 seemed like they were worthless.

2-3 AC2s can be pretty brutal at long range stripping armor and hunting for crits but on the starter Blackjack I usually replaced them with an AC5.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    There’s a let’s play I’ve been following for Battletech that managed to keep Dekker alive, he’s currently in a Banshee with arm mods and a bunch of small lasers

In my first campaign not only did I keep Dekker alive, but I brought him to the final mission piloting an Urbanmech and had him deal the final killing blow.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    2-3 AC2s can be pretty brutal at long range stripping armor and hunting for crits but on the starter Blackjack I usually replaced them with an AC5.

Yeah, they can be effective, but you have to work to get the situation where they're effective.
    You've got to have someone in a scouting mech to get vision on the target, then you have to navigate around to get line of sight on the target for your AC/2s (or get lucky with the terrain), then you have to time things so that the target mech doesn't leave that nice kill box to get under cover. And, if you manage all of that to line up perfectly with your turn, then you're still just plinking away with a handful of the lowest damage weapons in the game.

AC/2s have a place, but I think they'd really do better in a larger scale game where you don't have to devote 25% of your mechs to running recon for your AC/2s. Like, if you had two lances under your control, then sure, setting up one of your mechs as a high speed scout to target for a couple AC/2s boats isn't going to be too bad. But when you've only got 4, it's a tough call between scouting for AC/2s and "Let's just walk up a bit closer and slug them with an AC/5 or AC/10".

Unless you're running into SRM carriers, or something else you want to deal with from a distance, AC/2s are a bit more trouble to play with than they're worth.

My first campaign kept dekker alive too. Dekkers reputation is entirely based on the spiderdeathtrap that he's piloting at the start.

I usually ran an lrm boat, a long range fire support and two brawler to mid range fighters but that was several patches ago.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »

In my first campaign not only did I keep Dekker alive, but I brought him to the final mission piloting an Urbanmech and had him deal the final killing blow.

That should be an achievement.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    The real achievement was finding the god dang Urbanmech I tell you hwat.

In pretty much every turn-based battletech game AC2s are worthless for anything but potshotting helicopters, almost always outperformed by the far more weight efficient AC5s.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

Oh that makes it an easy decision ! I did not know this!

I think maybe I should hold of replacing the AC/2 on my starting mech until after a mission? Seemed like it was taking forever, and maybe it wasn't a good idea anyways. Removed 2 m lasers, 2 jump jets and a heat sink for 2 AC/5. Just know the ac/2 seemed like they were worthless.

In the early game before you get upgrades to your mechbay, changing equipment does take a long time. It will get faster as the game progresses, but in general, try to plan mech refits around the weeks of downtime you'll have during travel between planets.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Yeah, weapon load out is almost irrelevant at the start. Well, not irrelevant, but not usually worth the time for all those multi-move repairs.

Time is the enemy at the start of the campaign. Top priority is upping armor because then your mechs spend less idle, nonremunerative time getting internals repaired and more time on the battlefield generating C-bills.

Suboptimal weapon loadouts are easily compensated for in the first six months by tactics and focus firing down the enemy. Once you ditch the spider and locust (and hopefully get a + weapon or two), then you can worry more about loadouts.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    In pretty much every turn-based battletech game AC2s are worthless for anything but potshotting helicopters, almost always outperformed by the far more weight efficient AC5s.

Is one AC/5 a good tradeoff for two Ac/2's? I'm thinking I should have kept the lasers on my joker and maybe just put one AC/5 on.

Is one AC/5 a good tradeoff for two Ac/2's? I'm thinking I should have kept the lasers on my joker and maybe just put one AC/5 on.

AC5+lasers is indeed better than 2 AC2s in Battletech.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Dekker literally died to a headshot in the first move of the first round of the first game during my campaign.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

AC5+lasers is indeed better than 2 AC2s in Battletech.

Using the weight savings to up the armor on the family Blackjack has some merit as well.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png