As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Modern Horizons spoilers happening now!

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Which one? CK?

Oh, LCG, not LCS. Doi. Netrunner died? Or was there a more popular LCG than that?

Pinfeldorf on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Which one? CK?

Oh, LCG, not LCS. Doi. Netrunner died? Or was there a more popular LCG than that?

it was netrunner

license ran out and they couldn't get it renewed, so it is officially dead

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    The TWENTY mythics aren't even color balanced! 2 Blue, 3 Black, 1 Red, 2 Green, 0 White, 3 Multi, 2 Artifact, 4 other Colorless, 3 Lands. What had me excited about this set was the abundance of good cards but now, knowing we've only seen 18 out of 50something rares, I dunno. There's still a bunch of expensive cards, especially compared to the last few sets, but still.

I'm also concerned about the quality at lower rarities. Eternal Witness and Kitchen Finks are desperately in need of reprints and are iconic enough that it's not surprising to see them get the promo box topper treatment. But can you really say that, if Path to Exile, Inquisition of Kozilek, or even Lightning Bolt were in the set, they wouldn't be box toppers? So we probably won't see them.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Early artificers were hella sexist, huh?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    Early artificers were hella sexist, huh?

they still are, Kay.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Randomly decided to draft Dominaria in Arena tonight.

This deck was perfectly fair.
    45569200_2390225991007068_54637898175086592_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=5994594942c50eb581bd816de8264208&oe=5C87372E

One of the easiest 7-1s I've ever played

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Heh this ended the game in a hilarious way, and made quite the big stack
    https://scontent.fyyc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/46049475_1043416679164002_7859307242737106944_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc2-1.fna&oh=f6dd5f8100733dd1d665c760c3ee2608&oe=5C6CEC94

edit: went with link instead cause img just on the edge

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    LSV having a little fun at Jeremy Dezani's expense (PT Guilds of Ravnica semifinals footage):

https://clips.twitch.tv/RelentlessDeliciousScallionCoolStoryBro

Ever blow a draft, feel like you have basically a 0-3 deck , and then somehow 7-2 with it?

How did I 7-2 with this
    y3rfxg2tgqcc.jpg

Ever blow a draft, feel like you have basically a 0-3 deck , and then somehow 7-2 with it?

How did I 7-2 with this
    y3rfxg2tgqcc.jpg

I in fact did that exact thing with dimir 2 days again

"oh this is gonna win 2 if I'm lucky"

7-2

• AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular

How did I 7-2 with this
    y3rfxg2tgqcc.jpg

Disinformation campaign, with repeatable surveils. Card draw, evasive creatures, some with lifegain stapled on?

I mean, it's not bomb heavy, but looking at that list, you would have ground out of basically anything, and pretty much always known some number of draws ahead.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    you also have two plaguecrafters which seems PRETTY GOOD, severed strands whips ass too

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I drafted a dominaria deck a while back which was basically nothing but bounce, counter and homarid explorers and was like "haha, this deck is so bad but if I can get a win out of it I'll consider it worth it"

It got 6

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Oh man oh man. My friend created a Cube Draft and we ran it last night with ten people. It was so much fun.

It was a conspiracy draft with an "information matters" theme of just like every decent morph card. It was a total blast. I managed to draft mono black "control" with various huge bomb win cons. So exciting. We had 4 Cogwork Librarians go off, as well. So many monarch plays. What a blast.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Conspiracy Cube is one of the best

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    New draft method

Grab all healer hawks and maniacal rages, throw in random r/w to fill, watch opponents tilt into your fastest 7-0 ever

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

How did I 7-2 with this
    y3rfxg2tgqcc.jpg

Most drafts that I feel are an 0-3 go 7-2, and drafts where I'm like "yeah 7 wins easy" go out in 3 wins or something. That's MtG for you.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I know this is basically coming into the lion's den but since alternative distribution models were just being discussed

I went to a Keyforge prerelease this past weekend and Keyforge is basically everything I like about this game (intricate faction system, clever uses of tapping cards for specific goals, smart card interactions), none of the things I don't like (CCG, deckbuilding, interrupts, an endgoal of just punching each other), and several new things I like significantly more than Magic, namely the distribution model which greatly evens out the meta, the cards you see getting used, and the time you have to spend to be able to play the game

I hope everyone here gives it a shot because even past the release model I think it's just a super fascinating, really well-designed game, that I would greatly like to hear more people try out coming from Magic, cause most of the people I know trying it are coming from Netrunner

6F32U1X.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I know this is basically coming into the lion's den but since alternative distribution models were just being discussed

I went to a Keyforge prerelease this past weekend and Keyforge is basically everything I like about this game (intricate faction system, clever uses of tapping cards for specific goals, smart card interactions), none of the things I don't like (CCG, deckbuilding, interrupts, an endgoal of just punching each other), and several new things I like significantly more than Magic, namely the distribution model which greatly evens out the meta, the cards you see getting used, and the time you have to spend to be able to play the game

I hope everyone here gives it a shot because even past the release model I think it's just a super fascinating, really well-designed game, that I would greatly like to hear more people try out coming from Magic, cause most of the people I know trying it are coming from Netrunner

Wasn't Keyforge also designed by Richard Garfield? I've been hearing good things.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Keyforge seems very interesting as sort of a card game experiment but also very much not for me.

However their randomly generated card name system has apparently led to some interesting conclusions. "Wang the Suddenly Bruised", "The Boy who Badically Headbutts Heaven", and "Titanflayer, the Farmer of Racism" are all cards that people have gotten in their decks.

• Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed keyforge but the random decks can lead to the bad feels. My deck was great for fast starts but once my opponent had a board presence mid game I was toast. I will need to buy a second deck if I’m going to play again.

Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    One of my reservations about Keyforge is that the random nature of the deck system creates a sensation of "Okay, I didn't like playing that. Was that just the deck strategy though? Do I need to go buy another deck? To figure out if I like the game or not?"

liEt3nH.png
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Also, if my friend and I buy decks, and we find that one is suited to beat the other consistently, our option is more gacha pulls, not any sort of directed mechanism for change.
    If they manage a competitive scene for it I'll be shocked, either best decks will be found and chased, or it will have to be a new sealed deck each player each tourney, which isn't a format most competitive players would like.
    Basically I'd rather have a known balanced two player card or board game with set cards, or I want some control over those cards.
    Living card games and standard board and card games fill those niches much better than "here is a deck, good luck with getting something you want to play and something reasonable to play against!"
    Keyforge also seems designed to prevent the sort of play I really like of guessing what your opponent has and how to bluff what you have, making it instead just the broader deck archetypes from knowing each faction they have. Multiple plays with the same person can get around this, but that's only if you have that person willing to use the same decks over and over.

This is not to say keyforge is bad or no one is having fun. It may be good and people deffo are having fun! It's just such an in betweener product that is so explicitly not for me. I think I've ended up bristling a bit at the hype as a former netrunner player and MTG player that I'm supposed to love it, but from the get go it lost me with the model.
    And the game itself sounds good! Put that together like codex or netrunner or even yomi style set decks, and sell me a set and I'm down!

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    There is a handicap system for a power disparity between decks (you draw to a certain number of less cards at the end of each turn, which is huge in this game), and the main format is "you play a set of three, the second game you swap decks, and then if the same deck wins twice you bet handicaps to play the winning deck for the third game"

And at least so far, the algorithm and individual cards are extremely well-designed in making sure that you can have interesting combinations and strategies in every deck, and nearly every HAND, if you can build up a good hand of a decent number of cards of one house

but I ain't here to hijack this into a Keyforge thread, proceed

6F32U1X.png
    Massdrop has Ultimate Masters boxes for $255 shipped. Tax is only collected if you're having them shipped to California or New Jersey.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mtg-ultimate-masters-booster-box

I'm driving all the way out to Vegas just to play in the SCG Legacy Classic this weekend pray for me this is dumb

Also, if my friend and I buy decks, and we find that one is suited to beat the other consistently, our option is more gacha pulls, not any sort of directed mechanism for change.
    If they manage a competitive scene for it I'll be shocked, either best decks will be found and chased, or it will have to be a new sealed deck each player each tourney, which isn't a format most competitive players would like.
    Basically I'd rather have a known balanced two player card or board game with set cards, or I want some control over those cards.
    Living card games and standard board and card games fill those niches much better than "here is a deck, good luck with getting something you want to play and something reasonable to play against!"
    Keyforge also seems designed to prevent the sort of play I really like of guessing what your opponent has and how to bluff what you have, making it instead just the broader deck archetypes from knowing each faction they have. Multiple plays with the same person can get around this, but that's only if you have that person willing to use the same decks over and over.

This is not to say keyforge is bad or no one is having fun. It may be good and people deffo are having fun! It's just such an in betweener product that is so explicitly not for me. I think I've ended up bristling a bit at the hype as a former netrunner player and MTG player that I'm supposed to love it, but from the get go it lost me with the model.
    And the game itself sounds good! Put that together like codex or netrunner or even yomi style set decks, and sell me a set and I'm down!

yeah this is my primary holdup with the whole concept

some decks are going to be, by nature, better than other decks

so what will happen is that people will either by a shitload of decks to find the best ones, or they will test play decks before registering and create a secondary market anyway

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Big Brain Keyforge plan:

Don't find the best deck possible, find the worst deck possible and learn how to pilot it the best you possibly can.

Lose first game because deck is garbage and intentionally pilot it bad.

Win second game because opponent's deck is good.

Bait opponent into overbidding keys for their good deck third game and beat them.

(This is probably a terrible idea and also I don't like keyforge's model at all so this is a joke post.)

guys the artifact nda is up and it looks genuinely more exploitative than mtg lmao

liEt3nH.png
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I got to play some of my Rashmi EDH deck today and it can do some absurd hot bullshit. Flashing in creatures and countering stuff and drawing cards, then tutoring for big beefy boi craterhoof and overrunning opponents is nice. I should probably be running some more tutors and just go for infinites/locks, but it's already at about the right power level for the people I'm playing.

One of my plays was to cast Nissa for X = 9, bounce and then flash in my own llanowar elves with Rashmi on the stack, and use Momir Vig to put craterhoof on top so I cast him for free and then killed three people at once! It was awesome!

I ate an engineer
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    guys the artifact nda is up and it looks genuinely more exploitative than mtg lmao

exploitative?

exploitative!

liEt3nH.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    like the business model

BahamutZERO.gif
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    the business model?

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    The business model!

X22wmuF.jpg
    vy1c7tsb9bq01.jpg
    ?

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Got me curious so started poking around r artifact for deets.

So, $20 buy in for the game and you get some starters and boosters. (228 total cards)

$2 for additional card packs. 12 cards, one guaranteed rare. Can get you dupes. Apparently can get you dupes that include hero cards that you can only have one of in your deck that everyone gets from the $20 buy in starter packs (Kriparian apparently got 6 additional of one of these starter heroes).

You can also buy and sell individual cards on the market (with Valve taking its cut on top, naturally).

To play in any of the "expert" modes requires a ticket or tickets, which are a dollar. Phantom draft and Expert Constructed are 1 ticket. Two losses and you are out. 3 wins and you get a ticket back and break even. 4 wins is ticket and 1 pack. 5 wins is a ticket and 2 packs. Note this uses MMR for all of these from the first match to try and keep you as close to a 50/50 win/loss chance as possble.

Keeper Draft requires 2 tickets and 5 packs to enter (so... $12 buy in per play, but you do keep the cards from the 5 packs?) 3 wins for 2 tickets 1 pack, 4 wins 2 tickets 2 packs, 5 wins 2 tickets 3 packs.

No way to earn the ability to play the expert modes via playing the game and earning a non-premium currency. No way to earn more tickets than the tickets you entered with. No way to earn cards besides buying them or doing well in the expert modes. You have to do 3 wins in every expert mode to keep going, the second you drop that you'll need to buy back in with more tickets.

This sounds like dog shit.

Inquisitor on
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    $2 for additional card packs. 12 cards, one guaranteed rare. Can get you dupes. Apparently can get you dupes that include hero cards that you can only have one of in your deck that everyone gets from the $20 buy in starter packs (Kriparian apparently got 6 additional of one of these starter heroes).

so if everyone gets the starter heroes and you can only have one in your deck, why would they be in the booster packs at all? They're literally worthless to everyone.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Got me curious so started poking around r artifact for deets.

So, $20 buy in for the game and you get some starters and boosters. (228 total cards)

You can also buy and sell individual cards on the market (with Valve taking its cut on top, naturally).

To play in any of the "expert" modes requires a ticket or tickets, which are a dollar. Phantom draft and Expert Constructed are 1 ticket. Two losses and you are out. 3 wins and you get a ticket back and break even. 4 wins is ticket and 1 pack. 5 wins is a ticket and 2 packs. Note this uses MMR for all of these from the first match to try and keep you as close to a 50/50 win/loss chance as possble.

Keeper Draft requires 2 tickets and 5 packs to enter (so... $12 buy in per play, but you do keep the cards from the 5 packs?) 3 wins for 2 tickets 1 pack, 4 wins 2 tickets 2 packs, 5 wins 2 tickets 3 packs.

No way to earn the ability to play the expert modes via playing the game and earning a non-premium currency. No way to earn more tickets than the tickets you entered with. No way to earn cards besides buying them or doing well in the expert modes. You have to do 3 wins in every expert mode to keep going, the second you drop that you'll need to buy back in with more tickets.

This sounds like dog shit.

haha holy fuck, what an actual crock of shit

it's like they looked at the complaints for Hearthstone and MtG Arena and said "hold my beer."

I feel like there's an expanding brain meme that starts with MODO basically directly replicating the paper secondary market/tournament entry system and ends with Artifact's BS.

This discussion has been closed.