As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    It works very very well for taking up enough shelf space to advertise, but not make the store owner not want to stock you, and a good job holding all the parts while still in un-useful decks and un-punched cardboard form. After you OPEN everything, well, that's not really their problem.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUJTn35nCMA
    hey this oddly lovable dork has done his thing for this game if anyone is not aware yet of how it plays

6F32U1X.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Just found out tonight that Betrayal at House on the Hill Legacy is a thing coming out this Friday.

Pretty excited to get a copy.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Just found out tonight that Betrayal at House on the Hill Legacy is a thing coming out this Friday.

Whoah! That is so much sooner than expected! What a pleasant surprise!

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Everyone has a board which tracks your current money, basic income, and VP (that's right, Space Base is just a race to 40 points instead of the weird build condition). It also has slots for the numbers 1-12, which players will slowly fill up with cards they buy. The trick is that each slot only holds one card at a time before they get knocked off into the lane above it ... however this is just a clever way to handle the "my turn VS your turn" effects of each card. When you purchase it it goes onto your board and that's what you get with that number on your turn. When you purchase a new card for that slot it flips and goes into a stack above the slot, and you'll get the combined effects of all cards there on your opponents' turns. Perhaps the nicest thing of all is that any time someone rolls the dice all players get to choose individually if they want the sum rolled or the two individual numbers (so a 2, 2 result could be great for one person invested in 2 [since they get it twice], as well as someone who has built up 4).
    There's a bit more that I don't think needs to be covered, but it creates some nice risk-reward systems in the race to the finish. Overall the game has a much better engine building feeling since you're less restricted by the dice, and you pretty much always have the option to get something every turn. There's also only a handful of "fuck-you" cards compared to MK's huge volume of red cards.

Someone coincidentally brought this to the last meetup. I have to say that even though I lost I really enjoyed the game.; Now the only problem is not owning it vs. my friend owning Machi Koro. Still if I can't think of what to buy this game is on the list. It feels so nice to not lose to being screwed over again and again. I had really high income at the end of the game but the guy who won had a really crazy plan of buying a high VP 12 card and swapping it to the two slot triggering it constantly to eventually push him to 47 by the end of the game. It felt like the kind of crazy plan I'd try in Machi Koro only to be undone by cafes.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I played Space Base for the first time last weekend. I did... well.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Ugh, Masquerade for the first time last night.

I can objectively give the subjective verdict that it was in the top 5 most miserable board gaming experiences I've had.

(someone also thought it was a good idea to play in a noisy brewery with 10 people at a long table where the ends couldn't see or hear each other)

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Played Clank for the first time last night

Clank is really really fun!

I really like the whole thing of “one player decided the game needs to end, so get the hell out of dodge right now if you want to even be in contention to win”

6F32U1X.png
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »

I can objectively give the subjective verdict that it was in the top 5 most miserable board gaming experiences I've had.

(someone also thought it was a good idea to play in a noisy brewery with 10 people at a long table where the ends couldn't see or hear each other)

Masquerade is a great game for 7-10 people in a private space that all actually want to participate in the game and understand how much attention it requires.
    I really do like the design, but it's certainly got a high bar player prerequisite that makes it hard to bring out with any serious expectations.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »

Whoah! That is so much sooner than expected! What a pleasant surprise!

Right? It is pretty awesome to find out about it and then find out it comes out a few days later.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    I finally got to play Gloomhaven!!

My girlfriend and I have been super busy the last few weeks, but she got an accepted job offer and is moving down, so more games will definitely be played. But, another friend has moved back into my neck of the woods, and he wanted to play GH. So, we set a date of 11/7 (that's tomorrow!), but I hadn't read the rules or anything since I bought it (kickstarter 2nd edition backer....so...). So, I set up scenario 1 for 2, and my partner and I smashed through it on easy to learn rules.

I really liked it. A great, meaty puzzle. I can't wait to play more!

Also, my PAX Unplugged ticket things arrived! I'm super stoked. We've been making a little spread sheet blocking out all the different events we're interested in going to, but so many overlap. It's going to be a tough series of decisions to figure out what we actually wanna go to. For anyone who went last year, are there any specific things that aren't on the schedule we should look for? Anything on the schedule we can't miss?

We're definitely looking into a lot of the mini-painting events, and I'm interested in the PA/SUSD events (she's not particularly), but I'd also just like to play some games somewhere, and I don't know how that works!

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    MrBody wrote: »

Masquerade is a great game for 7-10 people in a private space that all actually want to participate in the game and understand how much attention it requires.
    I really do like the design, but it's certainly got a high bar player prerequisite that makes it hard to bring out with any serious expectations.

That was another thing I forgot to mention: half the people had never played before. I think it took 15 minutes for the turn to go around the table the first time.

I had already mentally checked out by the time I learned it was a memory game. The noise and constant stopping for "what does this role do again? who were you at the start?" were just more nails in the coffin.

Luckily, halfway through round 2, someone who had played before sat down next to me to watch.

"Hey! Do you want to play? You can take over for me!...you will? THANK YOU THANK YOU!"

*runs off in puff of smoke, leaving loony toones outline in the wall*

MrBody on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Don't that kill you on Masquerade entirely. In smaller groups (4 or 5) the effort barrier is much lower. And it's much more about bullshit bluffing and ballsy gambles than memory, or at least it is when we play!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Speaking of PAX, anyone interested in sharing a room? The person I was sharing with cancelled. I currently have the Marriott across the street booked 29-2nd.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Okay, filthy Americans, its time for school
    https://youtu.be/9pSlTemyfQg

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wait, but wasn't Asmodee the thing that was buying everyone else?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

welcome to capitalism

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    JustTee wrote: »
    I finally got to play Gloomhaven!!

My girlfriend and I have been super busy the last few weeks, but she got an accepted job offer and is moving down, so more games will definitely be played. But, another friend has moved back into my neck of the woods, and he wanted to play GH. So, we set a date of 11/7 (that's tomorrow!), but I hadn't read the rules or anything since I bought it (kickstarter 2nd edition backer....so...). So, I set up scenario 1 for 2, and my partner and I smashed through it on easy to learn rules.

I really liked it. A great, meaty puzzle. I can't wait to play more!

Also, my PAX Unplugged ticket things arrived! I'm super stoked. We've been making a little spread sheet blocking out all the different events we're interested in going to, but so many overlap. It's going to be a tough series of decisions to figure out what we actually wanna go to. For anyone who went last year, are there any specific things that aren't on the schedule we should look for? Anything on the schedule we can't miss?

We're definitely looking into a lot of the mini-painting events, and I'm interested in the PA/SUSD events (she's not particularly), but I'd also just like to play some games somewhere, and I don't know how that works!

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday but my experience last year was that most of what I wanted to do was booked so I ended up parked in the free play area for a long while. I'm hoping things are a little freer this year.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Yes, but most people figured it was for this exact reason. Build a portfolio of valuable properties, THEN go up for sale as a bundle, receive $$Texas$$ and be on your merry way.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I can only assume that prices will go up as the new owners attempt to get their value out of it.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I can only assume that prices will go up as the new owners attempt to get their value out of it.

pffft. value from profits is such a 20th century way to look at business

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Another new Catacombs kickstarter, this time for a sweet new edition with neoprene playmats! I'm excited for the mats! For anyone else who has considered getting it before, I would say this is the edition for you.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    JustTee wrote: »
    're interested in going to, but so many overlap. It's going to be a tough series of decisions to figure out what we actually wanna go to. For anyone who went last year, are there any specific things that aren't on the schedule we should look for? Anything on the schedule we can't miss?

Many of the vendors have game demos, and there will be games they've brought from Essen in First Look. Make sure you have time to sit down and play the unreleased stuff. Also, there are a ton of games available to borrow, so you can try something new as well.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Another new Catacombs kickstarter, this time for a sweet new edition with neoprene playmats! I'm excited for the mats! For anyone else who has considered getting it before, I would say this is the edition for you.

So I just saw the susd let's play last week and put this on my wishlist.
    I have a 7 year old son and he will love this.
    Thanks for pointing it out.

steam_sig.png
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    psyck0 wrote: »

As someone who backed the third edition and got this shitty thin box I'm kind of irritated that now they're providing a non shitty box when it should have been fucking obvious that they should have given us a non shitty box from the start.

Box + mats is very tempting but $122 (+shipping) buys a lot of other games and I don't even play Catacombs THAT MUCH. On the other hand, I feel like one problem with Catacombs is that not all of my boards lay completely flat. If there was a $60 option that just replaced the mats I might get on board with that, it seems ridiculous if I just want to upgrade my mats there's no option to do that without getting more mats and also an expansion. In fact, if I just wanted the box and the mats for the base game, it would be cheaper to just rebuy the base game.

So I guess where I'm at is maybe I should just get rid of my copy of Catacombs before the value of it plummets and I'm stuck with an inferior version.

ChaosHat on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    mascarade owns and is only improved with alcohol

liEt3nH.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    My experience with Catacombs is only a couple of plays but it was utterly miserable and we all sort of agreed that it leaned heavily on the DM pulling their punches to give the players a fighting chance.

Very pretty though

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    mascarade owns and is only improved with alcohol
    Having seen a game of Masquerade end on the second turn someone could take a non-swap action (the first action put enough coins in the bank for the judge to win immediately), I don't really believe this statement. At the very least, if you want something to play intoxicated you can find better candidates. Coup springs to mind as a case with much less setup, fewer things to track and fewer hoops to jump through if you just want to shout accusations at other people. <_<

see the good thing about games that end suddenly is that you can just play it again

liEt3nH.png
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    My experience with Catacombs is only a couple of plays but it was utterly miserable and we all sort of agreed that it leaned heavily on the DM pulling their punches to give the players a fighting chance.

Very pretty though

Hmm not going all in than haha

steam_sig.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I am a little surprised at the people who think of Mascarade as a game that demands intense reasoning and memory. The whole point is that it provides you with too many branching decision points and obliterates certainty, especially at higher player counts. It dissolves into a swirl of chaotic bluffing and reads, IMO. That's the joy of it; you're not trying to figure it all out, you're just casting about for one chain of exchanges you can track so you can get the cards you want or make the claims you want.

see the good thing about games that end suddenly is that you can just play it again
    Right. And my point is that Masquerade has a bunch of setup between games. If you don't have to guide 5-10 people through that process every time, then you've successfully created a group capable of playing Masquerade, which is the massive hurdle to the game to begin with. It's probably not a great drinking game in situations where people aren't already familiar with it.

to attend the mascarade is to know true zen release

liEt3nH.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Very pretty though

It definitely requires the heroes play way more conservatively and strategically than it looks like it would. To have any kind of chance at the default setup the heroes have to have a solid plan and also execute their flicking well. If they just run out of cover and goof around they will get utterly annihilated, which is a weird disconnect because it looks like a game where you're just going to goof around flicking stuff. You can also very easily manage the difficulty by playing less rooms and using easier monsters, without the overlord having to play suboptimally.

Ah_Pook on
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Masquerade has a bunch of setup between games.
    That doesn't sound right. Reset to 6 coins, shuffle, and deal.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    JonBob wrote: »
    Masquerade has a bunch of setup between games.
    That doesn't sound right. Reset to 6 coins, shuffle, and deal.
    That's the setup for Coup, minus 4 coins.
    The setup for Masquerade is that, plus everyone scan the table for the cards you care about ... okay now flip them over. Okay now the first 4 people swap-cards-maybe with someone else. Okay now the game starts.

My argument has always been there are more approachable games for this. Coup, Cockroach Poker and Skull, off the top of my head.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It's hard to beat Skull.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Pina Pirata is all about drinking

This discussion has been closed.