As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

As cool as winter, as hot as summer Dresden and other Books-Cinder Spires 2 is out!

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Working on my own re read and I love just how easy these books are to read. Just a real pleasure.

Anyway, Proven Guilty questions.
    Do we know who was driving the big Chrysler that tries to run Harry off the road super early in the book.

Also, do we know who were the forces that attacked Arctis Tor? I want to say they were supposed to be Outsiders under control of the Nemesis, right? That's how Mab got infected? Or was it was it the Denarians since there was Hellfire present?

Finally, what's up with Leanansidhe, Mab, and the three person faerie ice sculpture? I think it's supposed to be that Leanansidhe was originally infected with Nemesis during Grave Peril or something? So Mab restrains her for some reeducation at Arctis Tor?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Can't recall the first two, but the last one:
    Yeah. Leah got infected from the dagger she got from the vampires it seems and Mab (who was never infected, that was Maeve) purged her by freezing her.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Working on my own re read and I love just how easy these books are to read. Just a real pleasure.

Do we know who was driving the big Chrysler that tries to run Harry off the road super early in the book.

Also, do we know who were the forces that attacked Arctis Tor? I want to say they were supposed to be Outsiders under control of the Nemesis, right? That's how Mab got infected? Or was it was it the Denarians since there was Hellfire present?

Finally, what's up with Leanansidhe, Mab, and the three person faerie ice sculpture? I think it's supposed to be that Leanansidhe was originally infected with Nemesis during Grave Peril or something? So Mab restrains her for some reeducation at Arctis Tor?

I don't know/remember all of the answers, but I can help some. This contains spoilers for the whole series.
    Mab never got infected. If she did, that would possibly be the end of the world, literally.

Thorned Nathaniel (I forget if that's his name exactly) was stated to be the corrupted Denarian who attacked Arctis Tor. We don't know who else was part of that attack, but probably more Nemesis minions?

Yes, Lea got infected due to the gift from Bianca, which in turn infected Maeve. Mab was able to purge and cure Lea somehow with the freezing, and would have been able to cure Mab if she submitted willingly, but she didn't.

The three-person statue was I think mostly a statue. But also possibly Mab pretending to be (part of?) the statue. Maybe. Not sure. Because it's Mab and who knows what she's thinking half the time :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

The attack on Arctis Tor was by a mix of people infected by Nemesis, including Denarians. Mab never got infected. Maeve was.

Lea was presumably infected by the dagger she was given at the vampire ball, yes. She's powerful (and useful) enough that Mab decided to fix her rather than destroy her. By shoving her into the literal heart of Winter until the corruption was purged by the torrent of power. It's not so much reeducation as it is purging contamination, since the natural impulse of Winter fae is to obey Mab. Also punishment, of course. But as punishments go it's pretty mild for crossing Mab.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    Hey so spoilers, guys. Pretty damn big spoilers kaid see317

I don't mean to be an ass, but Changes came out 8 years ago. OP only has restrictions on Skin Games, which at this point is still 3 years old.
    The OP wrote:
    Also, use spoilers for major events or twist. If you are discussing the new book put everything in spoilers for the newest book, some folks gotta work for a livin'. For older books try to keep it to minor stuff unspoiled and major stuff spoiled.

I'd say that's a major event

We constantly get people discovering or reading the series for the first time.

The don't be a dick and don't be a goose rule always apply to every thread. Including this one.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Because I had to check, Skin Game is actually over 4.5 years old now (released May 2014).

That aside, personally I always assume I'm playing with fire wandering into the thread for a show, movie, book series, or game that I haven't played. I think it's laudable that an effort is made here, and yet at the same time, it feels like an extensive statute of limitations. I see it less as dickery, and more a matter of how annoying it can be to wade into a thread that's chock full of spoiler tags (especially with a new book of short stories out there intermixed).

PA Comic related to spoilers, which spoils both Kong and The Passion.
    lo1n19o7j8lg.jpg

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    I know it's practically a thread meme at this point, but I never cease to be disappointed seeing double digit new posts in this thread only to realize there's no news on the new book.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    abotkin wrote: »
    I know it's practically a thread meme at this point, but I never cease to be disappointed seeing double digit new posts in this thread only to realize there's no news on the new book.

It's even worse when you realizes that a significant portion of those posts are retreading the "How far back do we spoiler tag spoilers" debate, and that it's entirely your fault.
    So, yeah, sorry about that.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Since I'm doing my re-read and having to look through my short story collections myself to see what books they fall between in their timeline so I can make sure I get everything in the right order, I'm starting to wonder if someone has already set up a reading order list to make this easier. I may just go search that out for myself.

Edit: I found something, but it is even missing things from the first side story collection. May be easier just to keep track of it myself...

Nitsua on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    @Nitsua and anyone else who's wondering, this is the list I used last time I re-read (well, re-listened to the audiobooks)

https://old.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/comments/7xt2d9

• Options
    Thanks. I appreciate that. I'm working currently, so didn't have a lot of time to do a thorough search. That looks like it will work quite well. 😁

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    abotkin wrote: »

I mean, personally I'm waiting to hear what this show that Butcher is apparently working on is. If its not Dresden related I'm going to be sad.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I would honestly be super okay with a Codex Alera TV series. I like the story enough, it has a diverse cast, and it's already complete, so we wouldn't have to deal with the show outpacing the author.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    I would honestly be super okay with a Codex Alera TV series. I like the story enough, it has a diverse cast, and it's already complete, so we wouldn't have to deal with the show outpacing the author.

I would only be okay with it if Liam Neeson voices Arraris Valerian.

• Options
    Seems unlikely they'd do a Codex show over Dresden, but then Dresden already "failed" so I suppose anything is possible.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Finished Proven Guilty for the first time since my daughter was born and wow, kids really do change your response to fiction.

Those scenes with Charity, Molly, and Daniel Carpenter are just...woof.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Wonder if we'll see Daniel again. Last we saw:
    He was stabbed in the legs and then nothing since, right?

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Fox21 according to Wiki has produced for ABC, CBS, FOX, FX, A&E, and TNT primarily.

They also did the Soul Food series on Showtime.

I'm hoping it's not on Fox, because I don't think Dresden would do well in Prime Time 24 episode seasons.

I'm hoping for FX or Showtime.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Lastly, they're pairing up with Temple Hill which was the production company behind the Twilight series, Maze Runner series, the new Power Rangers, First Man, and Everything must Go.

They're kind of sparse on TV series but they did Mr. Mercedes.

I'm cautiously optimistic about it being Fox, but I do like they paired with a Studio that's got a lot of experience with novels. As long as they don't try a YA take on Dresden I'm in.

I mean I'm in regardless, but still... I don't want a 21 year old Harry Dresden, I want a 31 year old Harry Dresden that goes for seven seasons and ends with him getting beefier each season.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    It's gotta be FX or Showtime, yeah. I can't imagine Jim being willing to fuck around again after the reception the SyFy attempt received.

Dresden isn't really a "characters welcome" sort of work. It's more suited to a treatment somewhere between Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones, I'd say.

• Options
    And no hockey sticks - do it right or not at all... like Bob not being a skull for another point of contention I had. Too many things were just off, as if they didn't trust the source material would make a good show.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    And no hockey sticks - do it right or not at all... like Bob not being a skull for another point of contention I had. Too many things were just off, as if they didn't trust the source material would make a good show.

Most of the changes were fine. The hockey stick was a bit silly- a walking stick blends in much better- but the rest worked.

• Options
    Nitsua wrote: »

No argument on the magic hockey stick thing. You do a show about a wizard, that wizard should have a proper staff (knob on the end and all).

But, personally, I liked having Bob as a humanoid spirit that lived inside a skull. Having a puppet skull sitting on a shelf talking to Dresden would probably have looked worse. Having an actor portray Bob allowed him to emote and interact in ways that may not have worked for a puppet. Sure, it may not have been true to the books, but I think it was the better choice.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I was actually OK with Bob not being a skull, because it's a special kind of actor who can turn in a good performance while acting opposite an inanimate object. But I would prefer that they find that special kind of actor, obviously.

• Options
    Could have been computer animated. There was just too many off things to me. Made the show feel cheesy, like they were just throwing it out there. Ancient Mai bothered me so much. Still, with Game of Thrones doing so well and other books to TV shows being done fairly accurately, I hope they do something different and actually stick to the material for the characters.

I do believe that Dresden works well for a slice of life show though. All the things that can go on and the characters and how they interact with each other, they don't need to just follow the books in regards to storyline. Have those in there, but there is a lot of downtime between when the books take place that a show can fill in easily.

• Options
    A thought as I'm continuing through my Fool Moon re-read: If they do the lycanthrope subplot, Michael Rooker would be the absolute best choice for the leader, Parker. I can practically hear Merle Dixon's voice when I read these lines.

• Options
    That article is a month old, hopefully accurate. Isn't Fox21 going to end up with Disney too? That's...something. Hopefully they throw money at it!

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Yeah the show really needs a big budget. There are a lot of characters.

Budgetary restrictions probably can't help but drastically shrink the world's characters and lore.

I just worry about the form it will take.

"Three vampire courts? Well there's only enough room in the budget for one. Also no bat-monsters - just humans with fangs. Same with the Denarians. We'll put some monster-of-the-week make-up on their faces, it'll be fine."

I don't want it to turn into Supernatural, is what I'm sayin'

"Also what if we merged some characters? Susan and Elaine are basically the same, right?"

RT800 on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I mean, there's always room for the show to escalate like the books do; we don't need to even see the Denarians for a couple of seasons and if the show survives that long it would have earned a bigger budget. I'd picture the first season mostly focusing on the Red and White courts, and maybe some monster-of-the-weeks. Red court vampires spend most of their time in human form so they're not all that expensive, we just need a little bit of CG early on to establish "This is what they look like underneath". White court vampires are super easy to do because they're just pretty people and their powers are basically mind-control, which doesn't need any flashy special effects. Likewise Mab and the other Fae are basically just humans in funny outfits.

The most expensive special effects would probably be Harry's magic, but even that can be accomplished by some cheap pyrotechnics. This could be done on a budget and still be better than the SyFy incarnation, is what I'm getting at. Not super thrilled at Fox being in any way involved, though.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    The single most important question is whether Disney will be involved. Because if so, then

(Skin Game spoilers)
    Butters can have his Sword.

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »
    The single most important question is whether Disney will be involved. Because if so, then

(Skin Game spoilers)
    Butters can have his Sword.

I can only hope the series is good enough to last that long.

• Options
    My top 5 scenes that I need to see in TV or movie format some day:
    1. Sue. Obviously.
    2. "Game over, man! Game over!"
    3. "I saved the girl. I won the war."
    4. The Loup-Garou at Special Investigations
    5. The battle for Demonreach

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    1. Sue. Obviously.

Remind me of the second? Is that
    the climax of Skin Game?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    1. Sue. Obviously.

the climax of Skin Game?

I think it might have been
    at the horror movie convention in Proven Guilty?
    When Molly accidentally summoned the Phobophages and one of them looked like the xenomorph from Alien.

I'd like to add "Charity Carpenter suiting up to kick ass" as one of the top scenes I'd like to see. Or her taking out the Gruff with a ball-peen hammer and a nail gun.

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    1. Sue. Obviously.

the climax of Skin Game?

That's the one.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I need to see
    "For my next trick, anvils."

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I personally only made it about 1/2 way through the first Episode of Dresden Files. I’m old and can’t wrap my head around changes that, to me, seem to be made for silly reasons when you can just recreate it the way it was. I think I quit out when Karrin showed up. Was just to far off for me to handle. And I actually like Blackthorn as an actor!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Seems unlikely they'd do a Codex show over Dresden, but then Dresden already "failed" so I suppose anything is possible.

This doesn't necessarily have to be mutually exclusive. Networks can do multiple projects simultaneously (Arrow-verse, Altered Carbon spin-off, the two Star Wars tv shows etc) and/or it could go to a different network altogether.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I saw the TV show before reading any of the books and thought they were pretty enjoyable. Bob was a definite improvement since Book Bob is kind of a weak personality and Show Bob could work as a 'this is why you don't do black magic' warning with added quest dropping skills and stuff. Plus I thought the actor was pretty good there. The hockey stick didn't bother me, but I also think that having Dresden wandering around Chicago looking like a half-assed LARP participant isn't great.

Ancient Mai on the show didn't bother me at all, she's barely a third string player for most of the books. She's old, she's scary, she's on the council... bah. There's no personality there. Even The Merlin has more development, even if it's mostly just 'Grrrrr... Dresden sucks...'.

The vampires would be cheap, relatively speaking. White court just needs hawt actors/actresses and some funky contacts, and the Black can get by with some quality corpse makeup. Red court is tougher, but you show them fully transformed in good lighting once and you can probably get away with darker and more jumbled shots going forward, at least most of the time.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!