As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Just played that 2nc mission again and still lost a light mech. This time from all the tanks. The mech didn'[t even hit me I don't think. This time pilot was KIA too. Time to try it again I think.

RickRude on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I think the only light mech worth using in general that can take a hit is the Jenner. Anything tougher tends to be pretty junky in another way.

Keep them as spotters or throw a bunch of LRMs on them, but move away from that as fast as you can. Any medium is better.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Just played that 2nc mission again and still lost a light mech. This time from all the tanks. The mech didn'[t even hit me I don't think. This time pilot was KIA too. Time to try it again I think.
    Vehicles are super vulnerable to melee attacks. Don't bother trying to shoot them with something like a Spider. Just run over and soccer kick them.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I think the only light mech worth using in general that can take a hit is the Jenner. Anything tougher tends to be pretty junky in another way.

Keep them as spotters or throw a bunch of LRMs on them, but move away from that as fast as you can. Any medium is better.

Are you dissing the firestarter? In vanilla battletech the firestarter is absolutely insane.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    Are the missions not in the same order? I reloaded a save off the end of the first mission. Went to the second and it's totally different. My first merch job was taking out a convoy. This time it's destroying someone.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Are the missions not in the same order? I reloaded a save off the end of the first mission. Went to the second and it's totally different. My first merch job was taking out a convoy. This time it's destroying someone.

My understanding is that they're randomly generated except for the key story missions.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    That explains it. This one was ridiculously easy and worth more money. Had to kill 3 tanks and one mech.

Going into my next mission, my blackjack is outfitted but has some damage. Sending him unto battle anyways as if not I'll just have 3 mechs, and I'm going broke quick heh.

Ok, I don't know what happened, but my first 2 missions I accepted this time were extremely easy. Before my first one had 3 different requirements for victory, there were 2 mechs and like 6 vehicles.

ANd I was trying to smash them with my feet but lights don't stomp good. I didn't know about jump jet smash though until this past restart.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

Not the Cicada!

edited November 2018
    Ok , one last question and I think I"m good to set off on my merch experience.

So I got a mission for an unamed benafactor. I'm guessing this is a story mission. As such, I'm guessing it doesn't go away so if I wanted to merc around, I could still accept other contracts correct? And with that it's just a matter of time and repairs lining up.

Or should i just do this story mission to unlock better missions since it coincided with the reapir of a mech?

Also, I just noticed I can speed up time while chilling in space. I'm guessing htis is bad for the books but besides that, doesn't affect anything?

RickRude on
    Battletechs phases also means that mechs at the lower end of their weight class are heavily penalized compared to those at the upper end.
    This is especially true of the Cicada, where the equivalent speed mechs in the light class have better or almost equivalent free tonnage in addition to their advantages of avoidance bonuses and higher initative, but it's fairly true when comparing mechs like the Quickdraw and Dragon to mediums such as the Shadowhawk or Hunchback. Big Heavies like the Grasshopper and Orion also compare favorably to Assaults until we get to the Stalker and Highlander.

This effect is sort of mitigated in Roguetech, since certain mechs that were crippled by single heatsinks and inefficient engines are much more capable.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Ok , one last question and I think I"m good to set off on my merch experience.

So I got a mission for an unamed benafactor. I'm guessing this is a story mission. As such, I'm guessing it doesn't go away so if I wanted to merc around, I could still accept other contracts correct? And with that it's just a matter of time and repairs lining up.

Or should i just do this story mission to unlock better missions since it coincided with the reapir of a mech?

Also, I just noticed I can speed up time while chilling in space. I'm guessing htis is bad for the books but besides that, doesn't affect anything?

If it's a campaign story mission it won't go away. You can grind other missions to your heart's content.

The story missions do come with a good cash payout usually, though, so sometimes it's a good way to jumpstart your operation. Also if you are really early in the game and still getting half and one skull missions, there can be an advantage to taking some story mission to get up to two skull missions and start collecting medium mech pieces.

But no rush!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Ok, did 2 side missions, took no damage in one and only have 7 days repair on another from the second. All but one mech should be ready by the time I hit the story mission.

On the other hand, my light mech I'll be running sucks, need to see what's going on with my other one, but I may buy the last piece I need (I believe) for the light scout that comes with a ppc. I don't like short range weapons on them because they are fragile.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Pulled the trigger on the WLF-2 and started working on learning it and skilling up.

First match, got some assists, but no kills.
    Second match, got some assists, but got caught out on a portion of the map I'm not familiar with and killed.
    Third match, took some unnecessary damage while scouting, then cored the Hunchback IIC that was damaged and was trying to flank. Two Locusts tried to hunt me down, and in a running gunbattle I took both out. Last enemy mech, a Huntsman, stood on top of a hill and just took potshots at heavies, so I got up behind him and removed his central torso.

Gonna keep at it, but man Lights are just pure adrenaline.

edited November 2018
    Is this a bad build for a Centurion?
    (battletech)
    AC/5
    PPC
    LRM5
    LRM5
    AC/5 Ammo
    2X LRM ammo

2 Jump Jets

RickRude on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Its a fine general build, but usually I just boat all my LRMs on one mech and let the others build for other stuff. Depending on the variant the Centurion can be a functional lrm carrier.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Its a fine general build, but usually I just boat all my LRMs on one mech and let the others build for other stuff. Depending on the variant the Centurion can be a functional lrm carrier.

I was just htinking the LRM's might be better elsewhere as this mech should be up in the mix shooting stuff. Might switch it to SRM or lasers. b

Its harder to do early on but I think Battletech rewards specialization more than building for general combat.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    That said, I love having a big LRM20 on a split fire Atlas/Highlander. It allows me to pummel someone that has been unbalanced, while directing the rest of the firepower at someone in closer range.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    That Centurion sounds like it runs kinda hot, but then I only touched on the game a tiny bit after their big weapon rebalances so maybe PPCs aren't as cumbersome anymore with heat

I'd personally use a Large Laser instead of a PPC, the debuffs you lose are kinda minimal tbh
    Current build would be decent for stripping evasion pips but yeah LRM/SRM choice would be up to you. Beauty of the Centurion is that it can be many things. SRMs would make it a brawler beast (but I'd definitely switch to LL if you pick SRMs because you'd be running it hotter than with LRMs and iirc LLs don't suffer as much in closer ranges?) If you stay with LRMs you have decent fire support for days.

The one downside is that compared to some others around its weight class the Centurion can be a slow-ass mech. Less of a big deal if you're putting damage in at range, expect to use sprint a lot if you need it to close the distance.

BRIAN BLESSED on
    It's the first Centurion you get in the game after the first story mission. Think right now I went with

AC/5
    PPC
    MLaser
    SRM 4 + (has plus to crit)
    SRM ammo
    AC/5 ammo

4 jumpjets? I was also looking at heat sinks, can't remember if I got any. Gonna have to load it up to see what my final build was. Those hard points make it hard to load out how I want to.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I was going to say at low skull missions you don't need two tons of LRM ammo for LRM 10. Now that is moot. :)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Is this a bad build for a Centurion?
    (battletech)
    AC/5
    PPC
    LRM5
    LRM5
    AC/5 Ammo
    2X LRM ammo

2 Jump Jets

I would either switch the PPC to an LL or the LRMs to SRMs.

Actually I personally would make both changes, because I love the LLs and you can probably cram more SRMs in that way.

Alternatively, Wang it out.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    In-game shots of the Vapor Eagle
    d8068691a02b040523c49402a5680df8.jpg

56aabba0f3c9915359d80fc97abf691a.jpg

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    That's one anime looking mech

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

It kinda looks like an up-sized Cheetah.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

It looks like it's been de-anime'd by about 25% from the art on Sarna.
    http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Vapor_Eagle_(Goshawk)

• Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    In-game shots of the Vapor Eagle
    d8068691a02b040523c49402a5680df8.jpg

56aabba0f3c9915359d80fc97abf691a.jpg

*Uuuunnf*

Soon.

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
    see317 wrote: »

It looks like it's been de-anime'd by about 25% from the art on Sarna.
    http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Vapor_Eagle_(Goshawk)

Its a testament to the power of fan base recalcitrance that sarna still uses those atrocious wire frame drawings.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    We really should do a full Vapor Eagle lance on the Oosik night after launch

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular

I'm down.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    BattleTech: Somehow missed this earlier, but new developer diary:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/developer-diaries-6-the-making-of-a-hatchetman.1127078/

Concept artist talking about designing the new in-house 'Mech. Includes pretty pictures.

Switchblade hatchet is pretty cool

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

I'm down.

we get it, you all vape

5gsowHm.png
    Syngyne wrote: »

I'm down.

we get it, you all vape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p99a6K81zqM

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I'm not going to be on tonight. So run around in a light for me.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I never noticed that the BT Hatchetman has headlights on his knees.

That's, um...that's a thing, eh.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

Makes it a lot easier to catch deer.
    You got to keep your mercs fed, after all's said and done.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

How else is a Medium mech supposed to kick an Assault mech in the head for a one hit kill in the dark?

Oh, you thought it was going to use it's Hatchet? Somebody wasn't watching the preview livestream!