As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] old thread is old

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    However, even though it wasn't mentioned here, the other game that gets mentioned in regards to a "reskin" is called Endless of God, and it's actually much closer! There was a moment when I was like "oh, this might actually be something." Mostly because they designed it to be a mobile clone of D3. However, it's super janky and pretty much what you would expect from someone just trying to copy as much as they can without actually adding any substance. So maybe it's a reskin of that? Fortunately, it's not. Diablo Immortal is clearly much smoother. It looks to have some actual substance and it's clear that the quality is much higher, even at this early stage of development. If it were something as simple as a reskin it would be pretty obvious in the gameplay videos.

Blizzard has also specifically stated it is a new game being built from the ground up. I mean, don't believe it or whatever, but can we stop pushing these two theories here? Leave it on the Diablo subreddit.
    What evidence was it that it's not a reskin? It can be a reskin and still play smoother, it's not mutually exclusive.

As for actual substance, also curious why you're saying that, given that those who played it said it was clear it was still early and that most of the features aren't working yet and most of the characters are definitely not done yet. Can tell that even by looking at the character breakdowns on their promo website.

I am asking because I am curious and if I missed something, I want to read it....I just don't see where you're pulling a lot of your assertions from. The main one I have seen is that some people who played it felt it played too simple while others said they did have fun with it.

People get really hung up on individual words or specific games and argue about whether it's one game or another, whether it's a reskin or not.

Like to some people "reskin" means that it's the exact same game and they changed the textures and audio and maybe made some other minor changes. I don't think this is necessarily that lazy/identical, but people will go around in circles on this point.

But it seems fairly obvious that the company took one or more of their existing games/engines and retrofitted it with Diablo content, to some extent. It's not made from the ground up by Blizzard using a version of the D3 engine or anything like that. It has NetEase DNA.

What I'm getting at is that I don't think it matters whether it meets the specific definition of "reskin" that anyone holds. Everyone can probably agree on the basics.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Here's what I don't get. Like at all.

Diablo Immortal is, itself, very clearly still in early development. They are still prototyping a lot of stuff. Things like itemization, skills, augmentation, and all of that are still massively undefined. The game is at best probably 6 to 9 months away, but more realistically probably more like 15-20 months away. This is based on all of the "we don't know yet" and "we're still figuring that out" and "good question but we can't answer that right now" that went on during their Q&A panels.

This game is still in a very early stage.

So why couldn't they even drop so much as a peep about other projects? It's not like we're gonna be getting Immortal anytime soon. Might as well give something the fans want, even if it's just a name drop and a logo.

They've been quoted saying "we don't reveal things until they're ready" as a reason for not giving anything about Diablo 4. So why reveal Diablo Immortal? There's no real information at all in their reveal, and the interviews that followed were also empty of content. No confirmation on itemization, resource management, mtx, gems, runes, skills.. nothing.

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah. That's what I'm saying. The reveal of Immortal indicates that the game is still very early in development. And thus it violates their own rule of "don't show it till it's ready."

I am in agreement with Quin69 when he said that no announcement at all at this year's Blizzcon would have been better than how the Diablo franchise was handled.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    What I'm getting at is that I don't think it matters whether it meets the specific definition of "reskin" that anyone holds. Everyone can probably agree on the basics.
    I don't disagree with your general point, but I think there's a meaningful difference between "Took an existing game and swapped in some new 3D models/textures" and "Designed and built a new game that follows the company's established design principles and implementation techniques". I'm pretty sure that most people saying "it's a reskin" mean the former, but the impression I get is that it's closer to the latter. I think most people would find the former to be lazy and distasteful, but the latter is kind of... expected.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Like to some people "reskin" means that it's the exact same game and they changed the textures and audio and maybe made some other minor changes. I don't think this is necessarily that lazy/identical, but people will go around in circles on this point.

But it seems fairly obvious that the company took one or more of their existing games/engines and retrofitted it with Diablo content, to some extent. It's not made from the ground up by Blizzard using a version of the D3 engine or anything like that. It has NetEase DNA.

I agree totally, Sporky, but that was my point in the reply to Ky as well. If I wasn't super clear, I apologize, just dropping these in-between meetings, but it's clear it's definitely being adapted from other Netease products, so I didn't agree with his post due to that.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Dronus86 wrote: »

Diablo Immortal is, itself, very clearly still in early development. They are still prototyping a lot of stuff. Things like itemization, skills, augmentation, and all of that are still massively undefined. The game is at best probably 6 to 9 months away, but more realistically probably more like 15-20 months away. This is based on all of the "we don't know yet" and "we're still figuring that out" and "good question but we can't answer that right now" that went on during their Q&A panels.

So why couldn't they even drop so much as a peep about other projects? It's not like we're gonna be getting Immortal anytime soon. Might as well give something the fans want, even if it's just a name drop and a logo.

They've been quoted saying "we don't reveal things until they're ready" as a reason for not giving anything about Diablo 4. So why reveal Diablo Immortal? There's no real information at all in their reveal, and the interviews that followed were also empty of content. No confirmation on itemization, resource management, mtx, gems, runes, skills.. nothing.

But they do that all the time, historically.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Ya, they announced Diablo 3 almost 4 years ahead of release, and a bunch of the stuff they showed / talked about didn't even end up in the game.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    edited November 2018

I agree totally, Sporky, but that was my point in the reply to Ky as well. If I wasn't super clear, I apologize, just dropping these in-between meetings, but it's clear it's definitely being adapted from other Netease products, so I didn't agree with his post due to that.

I wasn't really disagreeing with you, or more replying to the sentence "what evidence was it that it's not a reskin?" Because people will have different definitions of that. I guess just saying the broad strokes are all that really matter because that's all we have for sure at this point. More reinforcing what was said.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Anyone enjoying D3 on switch? I am.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Dronus86 wrote: »

But they do that all the time, historically.

Yeah, and this makes me think that there's no other projects they have even remotely as complete as Diablo Immortal. And Diablo Immortal is very clearly not even a little complete.

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
    So this is just blowing up, now. A Q&A with Chinese reporters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOVfw5O5c1g&feature=youtu.be&t=125

I haven't watched it all, yet, but it's set to two interesting questions. Essentially, they're saying they're putting their best developers on mobile games and Immortal is not going to be a mature title. Even kids can slay the demons. Also, Blizz has more products in development now than in their history.

Some of that is going to be PR fluff, obviously, but...

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Man am I too! It almost feels like a new game somehow, though it's been quite awhile since I last played D3.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I am really having a great time with D3 on the switch.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    So this is just blowing up, now. A Q&A with Chinese reporters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOVfw5O5c1g&feature=youtu.be&t=125

I haven't watched it all, yet, but it's set to two interesting questions. Essentially, they're saying they're putting their best developers on mobile games and Immortal is not going to be a mature title. Even kids can slay the demons. Also, Blizz has more products in development now than in their history.

Some of that is going to be PR fluff, obviously, but...

It stinks in a way but also- it shouldn't be shocking given what immortal is. Widest possible audience ='s biggest possible profits.

Did you know they are making a PG13 cut of Deadpool 2 for xmass? It (or its predecessor) was one of the largest R rated movies ever.... but that is not enough money as the PG13 movie audience is that much larger.

Also Chinese mobile market would kill gore and skeletons right away anyhow right?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."

Also Chinese mobile market would kill gore and skeletons right away anyhow right?
    Unsure. I know that's a premise that's been around for years, but dunno.

And yeah, business wise, going into mobile makes sense. I'm not against it in a vacuum....just curious what gets sacrificed to it.

That and the line that most Blizzard devs have moved from PC games to mobile in their freetime would explain a lot.

edited November 2018
    DarkMecha wrote: »

Man am I too! It almost feels like a new game somehow, though it's been quite awhile since I last played D3.

I think last night with my friend doing the rift thing got me to the lead of all my PA friends. IIRC Wraith was always on top? Probably Wraithverge. But I am BEATING HIM I'm like the 5,500th best player.

LEADERBOARDS

Oh yeah also I got the ring that reduces your set requirement by 1, and also got gloves that increase my minions' attack speed by almost 50%, so that combo is pretty awesome when all the minions are already doing like +4000% and another 400% from Jesseth.

UncleSporky on
    I mean killing skeletons is like 50% of what I'm here for so it better not!

edited November 2018

And yeah, business wise, going into mobile makes sense. I'm not against it in a vacuum....just curious what gets sacrificed to it.

That and the line that most Blizzard devs have moved from PC games to mobile in their free time would explain a lot.

You can be totally sure- Its a cultural thing. Examples of Chinese wow client changes in spoilers with some explanations. Pretty fascinating cultural differences really....

mojojoeo on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I had a great time with some friends last night, went to their house and pushed some higher difficulty stuff though it was still a bit easier than my buddy wanted to do. I'm not quite as high up on gear and skill as he is.

He and his wife are playing together on one Switch and as PC players it's been a big adjustment for them, not just to console but the way it works locally. One player dragging along the other at the edge of the screen, or getting them teleported into the middle of a damaging area accidentally, fighting over who does the loot stuff in town...it's really unfortunate that they didn't find a way to let at least two players be in the menu at the same time. Imagine if you had access to all NPCs in town through one tabbed interface, get all your business done in one place without having to walk from salvage to storage etc. and it took up half the screen. Local multiplayer would be so much smoother.

But it was all still fun. While doing bounties, in the course of like 20 minutes I ran across two goblins that ported me to the Vault (this was across games, as we finished one set of bounties and remade, so it was a new Vault) and also another that ported me to Whimseydale. It was crazy luck. And my friend transmuted a Puzzle Ring he had for another Vault and also the Bovine Bardiche for the Not Cow Level. And then a few minutes later another Bovine Bardiche dropped so we went there again. It was rare zones over and over.

He also jumped my greater rift level up to 50+ now, he was ahead of me so I got to skip a lot. And I can still do them solo.

Oh local multiplayer on console is the best! Especially when there is a race to see who opens the stash first! Or who gets to the blacksmith first... Yeah, it is hilarious at the arguing that starts up. Then a "pecking order" eventually falls into place and everybody just waits their turn.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    I got a Moonlight Ward on my wizard last night. Having alot of fun with that, heh heh.

That and the line that most Blizzard devs have moved from PC games to mobile in their free time would explain a lot.

You can be totally sure- Its a cultural thing. Examples of Chinese wow client changes in spoilers with some explanations. Pretty fascinating cultural differences really....

https://www.techinasia.com/china-doesnt-censor-skeletons-the-truth-about-game-censorship-in-the-middle-kingdom

Even features a NetEase game right there.

edited November 2018

https://www.techinasia.com/china-doesnt-censor-skeletons-the-truth-about-game-censorship-in-the-middle-kingdom

Even features a NetEase game right there.

Good find!

Even mentions my Warcraft example as over censored to fly past the government :p

mojojoeo on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I played on Tuesday with a group of friends and picked up a cool legendary on my Witch Doctor that causes firebats to go fast and use a lot less Mana.

I pretty much just let my minions attack things and then firebat the whole screen.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Entaru wrote: »
    I played on Tuesday with a group of friends and picked up a cool legendary on my Witch Doctor that causes firebats to go fast and use a lot less Mana.

I pretty much just let my minions attack things and then firebat the whole screen.

Oh yeah, speaking of D3 I recently got invaded by a monster that said something like "Slayer of Phenyhelm". Was a tough fight but I got him - consider yourself avenged!

My wife loves diablo 3 (only tripple A game really) and witch doctor is her favorite because all of lifes problems can be solved by tossing a jar of spiders at them.

my best get this season on the necro is a pick that lets health funnel jump to multiple enemies and I removed the effect off of a spear that lets my bone spears cost more but do 700% more damage. pretty much killing things two screens over with bone spears before they even come on my screen.

Oh yeah, speaking of D3 I recently got invaded by a monster that said something like "Slayer of Phenyhelm". Was a tough fight but I got him - consider yourself avenged!

Oh right! The "Slayer" elites. They put that in a few patches ago where you can kill an Elite that "killed" a friend on your friend's list. Also have you guys got the "found a gift for ____" yet? I'm wondering if Blizzard left that in for the Switch. Where you "open" it and it sends a random legendary to your friend's mailbox.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited November 2018
    Betsuni wrote: »

Oh right! The "Slayer" elites. They put that in a few patches ago where you can kill an Elite that "killed" a friend on your friend's list. Also have you guys got the "found a gift for ____" yet? I'm wondering if Blizzard left that in for the Switch. Where you "open" it and it sends a random legendary to your friend's mailbox.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Nemesis_Kills

Both of those were in ps4 version over 2 years ago. The nemesis is the elite that raids your game.... And it adds names.... So if it killed peny and you- Both names now list for the third person and on and on..... But further.... the dead players can appear as shadow adds with the nemisis.
    The Nemesis form is similar to Diablo's (regardless of the actual monster that birthed it), and is always accompanied by one or more Shadow Clones of the dead players, representing their characters

This is one of the coolest additions ever.

You hear those drums/horns.... you see a nemesis with like more than a few names..... you question just what the hell you have gotten into.

Also..... You know when nemesis likes to happen? Usually right when you are racing the clock on a hard rift barely keeping up..... Then you hear the horns....

mojojoeo on
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I have no one on my friends list, so every so often a mini-Diablo and a few clones of my character show up and kick the shit out of me. Confused the hell out of me at first.

Betsuni wrote: »

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Nemesis_Kills

Both of those were in ps4 version over 2 years ago. The nemesis is the elite that raids your game.... And it adds names.... So if it killed peny and you- Both names now list for the third person and on and on..... But further.... the dead players can appear as shadow adds with the nemisis.
    The Nemesis form is similar to Diablo's (regardless of the actual monster that birthed it), and is always accompanied by one or more Shadow Clones of the dead players, representing their characters

This is one of the coolest additions ever.

You hear those drums/horns.... you see a nemesis with like more than a few names..... you question just what the hell you have gotten into.

Also..... You know when nemesis likes to happen? Usually right when you are racing the clock on a hard rift barely keeping up..... Then you hear the horns....

Dang, has it been that long now? I'll use the, "I'm old and time seems to go too fast" card to get out of this one. Hahahahahaha. Thanks for the correction though.

oosik_betsuni.png
    The console version of Diablo 3 has a few really great features that were intentionally never brought to PC. Blizzard has said on record that they want the two experiences to be different.

Console has:
    -Nemesis system
    -Gifts for friends
    -Strong Nephalem Glory
    -Roll on right thumb stick
    -Quick Equip with D-Pad

Unfortunately, there is at least one glaringly huge drawback to console - you can't trade items. They do this as an anti-cheating / anti-duping measure. It sure screws legitimate players hard, but apparently that was they only way they could find to protect the integrity of their ladders in Seasonal play. So you get all those great things I listed above, but you can't trade with friends.

The console version of Diablo 3 has a few really great features that were intentionally never brought to PC. Blizzard has said on record that they want the two experiences to be different.

Console has:
    -Nemesis system
    -Gifts for friends
    -Strong Nephalem Glory
    -Roll on right thumb stick
    -Quick Equip with D-Pad

Unfortunately, there is at least one glaringly huge drawback to console - you can't trade items. They do this as an anti-cheating / anti-duping measure. It sure screws legitimate players hard, but apparently that was they only way they could find to protect the integrity of their ladders in Seasonal play. So you get all those great things I listed above, but you can't trade with friends.

You can still trade with friends if you play non-seasonal.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Oh, I also forgot to mention - environmental traps are crazy strong on console. Drop a chandelier on some baddies, and it's almost always an insta kill. Even in higher difficulties.

Wait- do pc guys not get huge buffs on Nephalem glory?

Nephalem Glory totally sucks super hard on PC.

It's amazingly strong on console.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    My understanding is that Nephalem Glory on consoles is as strong as it is to make up for players doing less base damage/monsters having more base health. Is that not correct?

edited November 2018

I wonder if that travels through friend lists? Because my buddy and his wife keep dying and I'm fighting "slayer of phanya," is that what it was?

And my necromancer is named Phylocke. But I have died like twice ever now.

UncleSporky on
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Switch folks - to do co-op online I'd need the family plan instead of just the one switch online?

Not to start a "is it worth it" debate (please don't), just curious

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

I think Delduwath gets it here:
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I don't disagree with your general point, but I think there's a meaningful difference between "Took an existing game and swapped in some new 3D models/textures" and "Designed and built a new game that follows the company's established design principles and implementation techniques". I'm pretty sure that most people saying "it's a reskin" mean the former, but the impression I get is that it's closer to the latter. I think most people would find the former to be lazy and distasteful, but the latter is kind of... expected.

Basically, sure, it depends on what you constitute as a reskin. Looking at gameplay videos they certainly look similar, I would be entirely surprised if NetEase didn't pull up Endless of Gods as their example of how they would do Diablo Mobile during the initial meetings with Blizzard. Since, well, that was their attempt at Diablo Mobile. You can see that they're taking their experience making that game and applying it here. I'm not disagreeing with that, and I think the game will be better for it. I'm saying that the level of differences doesn't qualify it as a reskin, at least in my eyes. We know that there's more/completely different types of skills in Immortal (ie, EoG afaik doesn't have the movement type skills we've seen with the chains in the DI footage, etc). We know things like itemization aren't done yet so I'm skeptical that they're pulling any of that from EoG. There's a lot of systems that they're working on still. Will the end result look like an upgraded EoG? In a lot of ways, probably. But that doesn't make it a reskin.

This is like if a company made two FPS games that have very similar shooting mechanics, though the second one is obviously improved, but basically the rest of the game is different and saying they just reskinned the first one. Nobody would make that statement, they're only doing it now because it's a mobile game.

edited November 2018
    Noggin wrote: »
    Switch folks - to do co-op online I'd need the family plan instead of just the one switch online?

Not to start a "is it worth it" debate (please don't), just curious

Yes family plan.

This was not the case in mario kart- theres some debate if this gets fixed as ps4/xbox versions allowed 1 account all play online. And like i said so did kart.....

RE - Nephalem glory differences- Does that change how rifts feel on pc? On console its like you build as fast as possible and just use the boost to carry as much chain as possible and keep glory up. Race that clock.

How does that work with glory being no good?

mojojoeo on
    I actually mean the middle ground.

They took an existing game, swapped in some new 3d models / textures, and then began to improve / iterate on it. I strongly believe that's what they're doing because it would be stupid for Netease to do otherwise. I'd actually think less of them, especially considering how close the gameplay looks between the two, if they hadn't done that.

And that's fine.

I can see where you're coming from since you're focused on the end product being better than the Netease product everyone is looking at. It probably will be....but as a lot of the improvements / itemization / characters / pricing model isn't even done yet, it's currently disheartening.