As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Want to sell a rare book with a high listing price - What would be a fair price?

LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascismRegistered User regular
So I have had this book for a number of years and I figured it might be best to sell it instead of just keeping it on the shelf.
As you can see, the price for this book is pretty steep. I do have a potential buyer who is interested but also says that the price going online is a bit high. I would be willing to find some middle ground, but have zero experience in reselling rare books and got no idea what would be a fair price for the buyer that also does not make me feel like a chump who sold the book for far less than it is worth.
This is an academic title, so I am aware the potential readership isn't big.
Anyone with bookselling experience who can give me an idea on how to work out a reasonable price?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Don't negotiate against yourself. You offer the online price, and then ask what they are willing to pay.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Check abebooks or places like that if you want a somewhat broader range of prices, from various used books places:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=&tn=attending+daedalus&kn=&isbn=

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The book is available in PDF form through Cambridge University Press

But if you find someone willing to pay $600 for a physical copy, go ahead

Platy on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »

Yea but someone who wants a rare book is probably in it for an actual physical book and not a pdf

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Quality is a huge factor here, have you looked into having it officially graded?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Quality is a huge factor here, have you looked into having it officially graded?

Yeah, you absolutely need to get this thing appraised. If you have any universities nearby, look into their library to see if they have a preservation department or someone with conservation training, they'll give you a fairer shake than a book seller. Here's some simple stuff that you can evaluate on your own:

- Is there foxing on the pages (brown stains on the pages and edges, looks a bit like mildew; the way you know it isn't mildew is that it isn't confined to the edges)
    - Are the corners weathered (bent inwards, or have some separation of the binding from the boards)
    - What kind of condition is the binding in
    - Is the spine broken (i.e. does it curve inward into the text block when you open the book)
    - What is the overall condition of the print in the text block, and that of any engravings or pictures
    - Is there any pest damage present (old books are good eating for a lot of bugs)

Abe is the standard for selling rare books online, so if there's a pricing structure for different grades of book, you can trust it.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

Rare books are almost always public domain. People don't buy a rare first edition to read it any more than they buy a last of its kind classic car to drive it to the store or a Carson City quarter to do their laundry.

OP: absolutely do the work to get it graded. If it's a high grade, you'll never get it's true worth without some proof of it, and if it's a mid or low grade, you can still pull it a couple price tiers out of the gutter if it's been graded. A common idea in many collector circles is that if it's not graded or appraised, it's the lowest plausible grade - a buyer would pay you as such and then get it graded themselves, probably upgrading their investment substantially in the process.

Hevach on
  • Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    Alright, I will contact the local university about it. Do you have any idea how much it will cost me to get a book graded?

• Options
    That'll be up to the person doing the work. I don't know a single librarian who is also an appraiser, so chances are it'll be an unofficial thing (conservators and people with museum training tend to wear a lot of hats, so ymmv). If they can do it in an official capacity, well, how much you're willing to pay will depend on the worth of the book. I'd go up to 20% of the price you can get for selling for an official appraisal. If it's informal I'd offer $20 because an unofficial evaluation could be conducted in like 10 minutes at the most.

Or they might just tell you to go to a seller. It is a mystery.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I would also spend some time researching what these have actually sold for, when, and how often. You should be able to do that on most common online markets. Truthfully, those prices might be severely inflated based on algorithmic nonsense. This isn't to say it's not valuable but to temper expectations a little.

Doing that research might help with the potential buyer - if you can find listings in similar conditions that sold for a comparable price you can state what you want for it since the online prices do vary considerably (Abe is showing $160 - $1,000 listings, which is a huge variance).

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Rare books are almost always public domain. People don't buy a rare first edition to read it any more than they buy a last of its kind classic car to drive it to the store or a Carson City quarter to do their laundry.

OP: absolutely do the work to get it graded. If it's a high grade, you'll never get it's true worth without some proof of it, and if it's a mid or low grade, you can still pull it a couple price tiers out of the gutter if it's been graded. A common idea in many collector circles is that if it's not graded or appraised, it's the lowest plausible grade - a buyer would pay you as such and then get it graded themselves, probably upgrading their investment substantially in the process.
    My aunt drives a classic 1960s thunderbird to the store and to run errands. My dad finds it amusing.

• Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    That'll be up to the person doing the work. I don't know a single librarian who is also an appraiser, so chances are it'll be an unofficial thing (conservators and people with museum training tend to wear a lot of hats, so ymmv). If they can do it in an official capacity, well, how much you're willing to pay will depend on the worth of the book. I'd go up to 20% of the price you can get for selling for an official appraisal. If it's informal I'd offer $20 because an unofficial evaluation could be conducted in like 10 minutes at the most.

I am an actual librarian, you make it sound as if I could just do an informal appraisal myself.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Regardless of what the appraiser says, your best sale is likely the person already interested. Any money is more than you have now, and you have someone willing to purchase.

Delaying to track down a mystery appraiser seems like a bad call here when you already have the min-max threshold of what the book is worth. You aren't selling a Gutenberg Bible, for an under $1k sale I'd probably try to see what you can get from your interested buyer.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also value does not equal sales. My dad has probably 10k in rare architecture books and has yet to have anyone offer more than a few hundred for them.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Librarian wrote: »

I am an actual librarian, you make it sound as if I could just do an informal appraisal myself.

I always thought you were an Earth Pig born!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

My aunt drives a classic 1960s thunderbird to the store and to run errands. My dad finds it amusing.

Your aunt rocks.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Jazz wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »

Your aunt rocks.
    She had to sell her Harley because her legs couldn't take it anymore.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Librarian wrote: »

My apologies, I wasn't sure if your username was your job title or not.

aTBDrQE.jpg