As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Unions] Time to get Fired...up?

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Huh?

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I think what Bowen meant is that the law had been the law for a while, so it's kings dumb to not know about it.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Ah got it

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Amazon has had their anti-union organizing video leaked, and it's impressive how terrified they are of union organization:
    Each of the video’s six sections, which the narrator states are “specifically designed to give you the tools that you need for success when it comes to labor organizing,” take place in an animated simulacrum of a Fulfillment Center. The video’s narrators are clad in the reflective vests typical of the real-world setting. “We are not anti-union, but we are not neutral either,” the video states, drawing a distinction that would likely be largely academic to potential organizers. To expound on what non-neutrality might look like, the video adds in plain language (emphasis ours):
    “We do not believe unions are in the best interest of our customers, our shareholders, or most importantly, our associates. Our business model is built upon speed, innovation, and customer obsession—things that are generally not associated with union. When we lose sight of those critical focus areas we jeopardize everyone’s job security: yours, mine, and the associates’.”

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Here are a few of the (extensive) examples “that can indicate associate disengagement, vulnerability to organizing, or early organizing activity,” according to the video:

Use of words like “living wage” and “steward”

Distribution of petitions and fliers

Associates raising concerns on behalf of their coworkers

Wearing union t-shirts, hats, or jackets

Workers “who normally aren’t connected to each other suddenly hanging out together”

Workers showing an “unusual interest in policies, benefits, employee lists, or other company information”

Increased negativity in the workplace

“[A]ny other associate behavior that is out of character”
    So everything indicates union activity?

Couscous on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Basically, be happy you’ve got jobs and that we can’t replace you with robots yet peons.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Amazon has had their anti-union organizing video leaked, and it's impressive how terrified they are of union organization:
    Each of the video’s six sections, which the narrator states are “specifically designed to give you the tools that you need for success when it comes to labor organizing,” take place in an animated simulacrum of a Fulfillment Center. The video’s narrators are clad in the reflective vests typical of the real-world setting. “We are not anti-union, but we are not neutral either,” the video states, drawing a distinction that would likely be largely academic to potential organizers. To expound on what non-neutrality might look like, the video adds in plain language (emphasis ours):
    “We do not believe unions are in the best interest of our customers, our shareholders, or most importantly, our associates. Our business model is built upon speed, innovation, and customer obsession—things that are generally not associated with union. When we lose sight of those critical focus areas we jeopardize everyone’s job security: yours, mine, and the associates’.”

We're not against unions, but we will imply that you will not be making an union's here if you want a pay check.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Pitchforks and You: A primer on avoiding a peasants rebellion.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

The video is gone now, it seems. But I will say that it doesn't seem any more harsh than the one I watched while working for Shaw's/Supervalu.

Not that it makes it ok, just standard practice. Which is bad.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I'm not sure the video was ever linked, but the Gizmodo link is here now: https://gizmodo.com/amazons-aggressive-anti-union-tactics-revealed-in-leake-1829305201

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    You all might have heard about Amazon announcing the other day in the face of a prolonged campaign from workers, Senator Sanders, and others that it would be raising the company wide minimum wage to $15 an hour.

Well,,,,,

That's what comes from wanting things, peasants.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Monthly bonuses and stock are kind of a weird compensation for hourly workers. I'm surprised they had them in the first place.

Edit: not that those things should be taken away.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'm cool with monthly bonuses etc going away if (and only if) the workers are paid right in the first place instead. Eg. tipping vs paying waiters a livable wage.

However, I'm pretty sure Amazon has done maths and found that paying their workers more and cutting the bonuses saves them money.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I'm cool with monthly bonuses etc going away if (and only if) the workers are paid right in the first place instead. Eg. tipping vs paying waiters a livable wage.

However, I'm pretty sure Amazon has done maths and found that paying their workers more and cutting the bonuses saves them money.

I wouldn't count on that, at least as a direct equation, though it's entirely possible as a side benefit. The workers might actually be better off, and the cutting of bonuses just helps Amazon subsidize things.

What it DOES do, is get people off their back, both socially and legislatively, and that might mean a better stock price and/or revenues in the long term.

When you've got a shitty reputation for exploitation, people aren't as happy to give you money. Nike stock took a dive when the child labor shit came to light. Maybe Amazon is wanting to getting ahead of this, as cheaply as possible.

Still craven, but can't expect corporations to give a shit in our current economy. Hope? Sure. Expect? Nope.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Any RSUs they would have gotten are going to be less than what they're gaining in a lot of areas, and come with a lot less weirdness and risk, and also reduces the chances that people do harmful things to hold on exactly long enough for things to vest.

It sucks that they aren't getting even more of a benefit from all of this, but it still looks like a real benefit in most cases, and without the strings attached.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Also depending on how they do bonuses, do away with those and replacing them could be better for the bottom line in a less intuitive way.

If they actually base bonuses on merit, that means having to have someone track performance. Look at numbers and the figure out who gets a bonus and how much. They might not lay those people off because they could always have those people focus more on quality control and figure out where things are under performing. Granted they could cut those people and not have to have those positions around anymore.

Even if they do it the laziest way, there is probably still a certain level of number crunching and hour tracking. So again that's either human resources that could be refocused on something that does more for the bottom line or cut as a cost savings measure.

Plus, 15 dollars an hour is more reliable than either bonus or stocks. That could reduce employee stress and make them happier. Non-stressed and happy employees tend to be more productive. Also given that Amazon is a retailer, a better paid workforce is likely to benefit them in that it either buys more goods from them or those increased earning help to cause waves that result in move money going towards non-amazon employees, who then buy more through amazon.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Mill wrote: »
    Also depending on how they do bonuses, do away with those and replacing them could be better for the bottom line in a less intuitive way.

If they actually base bonuses on merit, that means having to have someone track performance. Look at numbers and the figure out who gets a bonus and how much. They might not lay those people off because they could always have those people focus more on quality control and figure out where things are under performing. Granted they could cut those people and not have to have those positions around anymore.

Even if they do it the laziest way, there is probably still a certain level of number crunching and hour tracking. So again that's either human resources that could be refocused on something that does more for the bottom line or cut as a cost savings measure.

Plus, 15 dollars an hour is more reliable than either bonus or stocks. That could reduce employee stress and make them happier. Non-stressed and happy employees tend to be more productive. Also given that Amazon is a retailer, a better paid workforce is likely to benefit them in that it either buys more goods from them or those increased earning help to cause waves that result in move money going towards non-amazon employees, who then buy more through amazon.

Is this only in case on the lower class workers? Because I'm fairly sure Amazon's upper management has the typical bonus bullshit corporations have and unless I'm missing something I'm not seeing anything in the news about them losing benefits or lowered salaries.

edit: Bezos early for Amazon is getting the entire scary of an average worker every 10 seconds, there's absolutely no reason the average workers can't be properly compensated for their labor aside from greed.

http://time.com/money/5262923/amazon-employee-median-salary-jeff-bezos/
    Well, let’s put it this way: According to MONEY’s calculations, it takes him just under nine seconds to earn what Amazon’s median worker does in a year.

This revelation comes courtesy of a new federal rule that requires public companies to disclose the pay ratio between their employees and executives. It’s led to some shocking disclosures in recent weeks, and Amazon is no exception. The commerce giant confirmed in an SEC filing last month that its median worker — the person who makes more than half of the staff and less than half of the staff — earned $28,446 in 2017. For comparison, Bezos’ annual compensation last year was over $1.6 million.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    No idea, how any of that impacts management (probably not). I actually work at a company, where most of the people are hourly and they do merit bonuses for a decent chunk of people. My employer is a medium sized company and they need at least 2-3 people putting in considerable time tracking and calculating that shit and that's with a setup that requires everyone to submit a time sheet of what the hell they did during the week. I'd imagine if Amazon did something like that, that would be a sizable chunk of people involved. Would probably still be a sizable chunk of people if they did the lazy way of "if we make X, then everyone that qualifies will get Y," because a smart company would still want to make sure the bonuses only go out to people that contributed, since they'll get cases where a division does really well and people get pissed when Joe, who is a shit employee that only work 3 days, gets the same bonus that everyone else did for the month/quarter.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Also the whole thing is a smokescreen.

Because what a lot of people were most angry about, the people pissing in bottles instead of taking bathroom breaks and sleeping in cars and being run ragged for peanuts in all the "Amazon is basically a step up from slavery" articles? Those are all 1099 contractors and they are, apparently, not affected by this decision.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Also the whole thing is a smokescreen.

Because what a lot of people were most angry about, the people pissing in bottles instead of taking bathroom breaks and sleeping in cars and being run ragged for peanuts in all the "Amazon is basically a step up from slavery" articles? Those are all 1099 contractors and they are, apparently, not affected by this decision.

Source?

• Options
    There is I admit relatively little concrete on it, but the Philadelphia Inquirer reports:
    The change, which will go into effect Nov. 1, will affect 250,000 workers with Amazon and Amazon-owned Whole Foods, the company said, including full-time, part-time, and seasonal employees, as well as those hired by temp agencies. The raise does not seem to effect independent contractors such as the Amazon Flex drivers who deliver packages from warehouses to your doorstep.

I have less solid information on the warehouse workers and so on being independent contractors.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    There is I admit relatively little concrete on it, but the Philadelphia Inquirer reports:
    The change, which will go into effect Nov. 1, will affect 250,000 workers with Amazon and Amazon-owned Whole Foods, the company said, including full-time, part-time, and seasonal employees, as well as those hired by temp agencies. The raise does not seem to effect independent contractors such as the Amazon Flex drivers who deliver packages from warehouses to your doorstep.

I have less solid information on the warehouse workers and so on being independent contractors.

The warehouse workers aren't 1099s.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Amazon's stock options were silly to begin with. They vest after 1-2 years of working for them. Most employees don't last that long. And the bonuses were based on how well you did based on the goals set by management. So lots of pee bottling is encouraged of course.

This is a net positive because there's a real good chance you weren't getting that $200 monthly bonus for being a top performing hub and you weren't staying long enough to vest the stock options. Which is still only a few hundred dollars.

Bonuses like that are kind of garbage benefits and don't really work IRL unless you're an upper management worker where they actually want to keep you because you bring a net benefit to the company and not just some cog they can drop in until they get their robots working. You also can't (shouldn't) budget around them either.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    They actually did something similar at the company I work for 4 years ago just after I started, previously every employee has a bonus but as things tanked they did something that for me personally was completely fine. They took your total possible bonus, divided it by 2 and added that to your base salary. That worked fine for me as I had been in Education before that and there was no such thing as bonuses. I got the first one this year after being moved into management, and while I am certainly happy to get more money thrown at me I'd rather have the certainty of it showing up on the pay cheque even if it's less.

Of course with Amazon, I assume they did something shitty to balance it out, like organ harvesting or something.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    hawkbox wrote: »
    Of course with Amazon, I assume they did something shitty to balance it out, like organ harvesting or something.

The fact that this is the standard response to giving people a raise is a good demonstration that they really needed to do this.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And in follow-up on the Amazon anti-union video, Warren and Sanders are demanding answers from Amazon:
    While initially reporting on the video, Gizmodo reached out to Amazon for comment repeatedly and was rebuffed, only receiving comment after publication of our story that accused us of “cherry picking” quotes from the training video. We asked the company to provide the full footage of the video, so that the anonymity of our source would be maintained. We received no reply. Now both senators are asking that Amazon, “provide the full video, and its written script, reported by Gizmodo on September 26, 2018" and as well as “any other materials distributed to Whole Foods ‘team leaders’ relevant to organizing activities, or ‘warning signs’ of such activities.”

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    https://theintercept.com/2018/10/23/border-patrol-union-killing-free-speech-video
    THE NATIONAL BORDER Patrol Council, the union representing Border Patrol agents across the country, is featured in a new video that includes white nationalists and anti-Muslim extremists. The video, titled “Killing Free Speech,” was endorsed by the union and recently shown by agents at a private screening in San Diego. The video is also expected to be shown in Texas, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., according to union representative Terence Shigg, president of the San Diego chapter of the NBPC.

The nearly hour-and-half-long video refers to Democrats as “dark and evil” and features a bevy of American and European far-right, anti-Muslim white nationalists who make a correlation between gang rapes, Islam, and immigration. The documentary also features members of the Proud Boys, a hate group designated by the Southern Poverty Law Center, that often aligns with white nationalists and are known for being misogynists and anti-Muslim.

In a press release, the NBPC describes “Killing Free Speech” as a “powerful spotlight on the terrifying assault on liberty in America today. A country heading down the road toward Orwellian control of information by a small but powerful cabal.” The release also invites viewers of the video to “dissect the daily propaganda used by the mainstream media who will stop at nothing to mislead the public and discredit and demonize those who risk their lives protecting America’s borders.”

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    https://theintercept.com/2018/10/23/border-patrol-union-killing-free-speech-video
    THE NATIONAL BORDER Patrol Council, the union representing Border Patrol agents across the country, is featured in a new video that includes white nationalists and anti-Muslim extremists. The video, titled “Killing Free Speech,” was endorsed by the union and recently shown by agents at a private screening in San Diego. The video is also expected to be shown in Texas, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., according to union representative Terence Shigg, president of the San Diego chapter of the NBPC.

The nearly hour-and-half-long video refers to Democrats as “dark and evil” and features a bevy of American and European far-right, anti-Muslim white nationalists who make a correlation between gang rapes, Islam, and immigration. The documentary also features members of the Proud Boys, a hate group designated by the Southern Poverty Law Center, that often aligns with white nationalists and are known for being misogynists and anti-Muslim.

In a press release, the NBPC describes “Killing Free Speech” as a “powerful spotlight on the terrifying assault on liberty in America today. A country heading down the road toward Orwellian control of information by a small but powerful cabal.” The release also invites viewers of the video to “dissect the daily propaganda used by the mainstream media who will stop at nothing to mislead the public and discredit and demonize those who risk their lives protecting America’s borders.”

The irony on that last part is amazing.

It's meta propaganda.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    At first they made it sound like the video was against the killing of free speech, but it sounds like it is more of a instructions manual on how to

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    At first they made it sound like the video was against the killing of free speech, but it sounds like it is more of a instructions manual on how to

This may not be the face-stomping, but it seems to be tying the laces of the boot.

• Options
    Hey, it's not precisely to do with union issues, but Scott Walker is getting the boot in Wisconsin.

• Options
    Hey, it's not precisely to do with union issues, but Scott Walker is getting the boot in Wisconsin.

I awesomed this, but I needed to awesome it again.

There are worse politicians. There are worse governors (Georgia and Florida are looking to be).

But Scott Walker has been a fucking canker sore on a relatively blueish state for WAY too long.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    cop unions remain the worst

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    That's a funny way to spell "legalized gangs".

• Options
    Doobh wrote: »
    cop unions remain the worst

WA just voted to curtail cop legal immunity.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Here's another teachers' union strike that I guess went under the radar (or I just missed it because of other stuff going on): this time it's charter school teachers in Chicago. They were seeking higher pay and smaller class sizes, among other concessions, and have succeeded. Teacher strikes work. Not much time left in this year but I hope there are more next year as needed.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Here's another teachers' union strike that I guess went under the radar (or I just missed it because of other stuff going on): this time it's charter school teachers in Chicago. They were seeking higher pay and smaller class sizes, among other concessions, and have succeeded. Teacher strikes work. Not much time left in this year but I hope there are more next year as needed.

Yup. As long as it's made clear what they're fighting for, and exposing just how shit their lives are, they usually get massive support.

I wish they didn't have to get to the point of desperation, and then be forced to strike, to get movement toward what they should be owed (both in terms of reasonable working conditions and better pay), but that's where we are. And it f'n sucks.

I considered going into teaching, but decided against it. Took a job in security. Less stress. Less unpaid work. Less dealing with assholes. And no crippling debt before my first day on the job.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Monthly bonuses and stock are kind of a weird compensation for hourly workers. I'm surprised they had them in the first place.

Edit: not that those things should be taken away.

Probably 'Employee of the month' style bonuses.

An annual bonus wouldn't convince me to piss in a bottle, for example.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

That's the first charter school teacher strike, at least that I'm aware of. And given that the entire point of charters is to break the unions, an interesting development.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Yeah, considering how unregulated charter schools in general are, that's surprising.

This discussion has been closed.