As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] old thread is old

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    It's so nice to be able to hop into D3 and run a rift on my lunch break at work.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Noggin wrote: »
    Switch folks - to do co-op online I'd need the family plan instead of just the one switch online?

Not to start a "is it worth it" debate (please don't), just curious

Yes family plan.

This was not the case in mario kart- theres some debate if this gets fixed as ps4/xbox versions allowed 1 account all play online. And like i said so did kart.....

RE - Nephalem glory differences- Does that change how rifts feel on pc? On console its like you build as fast as possible and just use the boost to carry as much chain as possible and keep glory up. Race that clock.

How does that work with glory being no good?

In PC you basically just ignore Nephalem Glory because it is literally so bad that it isn't worth it to even care.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Switch folks - to do co-op online I'd need the family plan instead of just the one switch online?

Yes family plan.

This was not the case in mario kart- theres some debate if this gets fixed as ps4/xbox versions allowed 1 account all play online. And like i said so did kart.....

RE - Nephalem glory differences- Does that change how rifts feel on pc? On console its like you build as fast as possible and just use the boost to carry as much chain as possible and keep glory up. Race that clock.

eh not really, once you're geared up all neph rifts are just 2-3 minutes of zooming and looting

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

You just never factor Nephalem Glory into your life, on PC. If one pops out and you pick it up, cool, fine. Otherwise, I think most people still try to make builds that let them move through the rift as quickly as possible while still one-shotting everything and then speed through, but not because they're trying to maintain a timed buff; rather, it's because the most efficient way to gear in D3 is to just iteratively do content as fast as you possibly can.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I actually mean the middle ground.

They took an existing game, swapped in some new 3d models / textures, and then began to improve / iterate on it. I strongly believe that's what they're doing because it would be stupid for Netease to do otherwise. I'd actually think less of them, especially considering how close the gameplay looks between the two, if they hadn't done that.

And that's fine.

I can see where you're coming from since you're focused on the end product being better than the Netease product everyone is looking at. It probably will be....but as a lot of the improvements / itemization / characters / pricing model isn't even done yet, it's currently disheartening.

I mean, I'll give you that. There's a lot of stuff we don't know since the game isn't anywhere near done.

I mean, I personally have no idea if the game will be worth giving it my time. Based on impressions I think it'll be a fun mobile game, but that only goes so far for me.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

Not clear what you are asking, but if you mean whether you need two switch online accounts for two people playing on the same switch, connecting to other randos on the internet, then I believe the answer is "yes."

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular

Not clear what you are asking, but if you mean whether you need two switch online accounts for two people playing on the same switch, connecting to other randos on the internet, then I believe the answer is "yes."

Yes, this is what I meant. Thanks all.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018

Aroo? So both accounts need to have that Nintendo thingy to play online with someone else? Or just the main account and the local second account can leech off of that?

Edit: Oh I think I get it. Both need to have Nintendo accounts and not just the local one.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Wrong thread

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    To be crystal clear- Couch Coop while online requires each player to have a Nintendo online (a family plan covers)

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I am not sure what would happen if one player was season and the other wasn't. If they could even play together. I know for a fact there is some way to play local, where at least one is a season player, without both needing an account because my friend was doing that before I added him to my family group (his wife was already in the group, now they are taking up two slots).

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • hushhush Registered User regular
    you can't mix leagues, unless they changed something fundamentally for console

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
    I am not sure what would happen if one player was season and the other wasn't. If they could even play together. I know for a fact there is some way to play local, where at least one is a season player, without both needing an account because my friend was doing that before I added him to my family group (his wife was already in the group, now they are taking up two slots).

You can't mix Season and non-Season but you also don't need an online account to create a Seasonal character.

You only need the online account if you are playing over the internet with other people. Local play is fine and Seasons are fine.

edited November 2018
    hush wrote: »

Hmm. There may be special allowances for that...I mean you can't trade at all on console anyway so it wouldn't really break anything. When I went over we all have season players with Switch Online, but we played locally between the two Switches for a better connection, which popped up messages about not being considered for leaderboards because we were all playing offline.

Are there any differences between season and non-season, other than lacking the rewards you can earn? I'm specifically thinking of Diablo 2 where the advanced runewords don't work unless you are playing a ladder character.
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    You can't mix Season and non-Season but you also don't need an online account to create a Seasonal character.

You only need the online account if you are playing over the internet with other people. Local play is fine and Seasons are fine.

Oh ok, that must've been it. Two season characters restricted to playing offline locally together.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I have literally never paid attention to Nephalem Glory on PC.

Health globes on difficult content, definitely.

• WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular

Hmm. There may be special allowances for that...I mean you can't trade at all on console anyway so it wouldn't really break anything. When I went over we all have season players with Switch Online, but we played locally between the two Switches for a better connection, which popped up messages about not being considered for leaderboards because we were all playing offline.

Are there any differences between season and non-season, other than lacking the rewards you can earn? I'm specifically thinking of Diablo 2 where the advanced runewords don't work unless you are playing a ladder character.

Oh ok, that must've been it. Two season characters restricted to playing offline locally together.

Not that I'm aware of. Also: I am an Alt-oholic so I keep expanding my roster, but you moved FAST into Grift 50+. Looks like the race is on!!

The only differences are the rewards you can earn and access to "season" specific things like seasonal ladderboards and challenges. Season characters are also isolated from non-season characters so you can't like, share your stash or anything. Imo, there's almost no reason to touch non-seasonal characters but that's just me, heh.

Not that I'm aware of. Also: I am an Alt-oholic so I keep expanding my roster, but you moved FAST into Grift 50+. Looks like the race is on!!

I don't actually really care about leaderboard stuff, I was mostly BSn'. :P I don't know if I'm good enough to keep it up, I'd have to really grind out some good upgrades and learn the roll dodge more and stuff like that. Plus I want to get more generic fun achievements. Like Pink'd, kill all the bosses while in full pink armor.

Oh yeah, earlier I did the key bosses and got the stuff to craft the whatever ring from Squirt. She also sold some patterns that from what I read online are super hard to utilize now? Like the rings were made for level 60 players before the expansion so now to get the parts to craft them, you must go kill the key bosses at levels 60-69 only? Not that I would need to make them. Though I wonder if there's an achievement for it.

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Ignore the lvl 60 ring, it's pointless and I actually don't think you can craft it anyway. The level 70 Hellfire ring and the amulets have their places tho, the ring less so, but the amulets are used in many builds.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    Also, Sporky, if you're doing the in game achievements, then get started on a HC character once you're comfortable with the game. There are kill quests that require you to kill a ton of named purple mobs. The hardcore version of the achievement can only be done in HC mode, but you can also complete the softcore version while in HC. It's more efficient and less trouble over all. That's if you're worried about getting 100%. Also do as many bounties as you can stand every day :P

Your seasonal characters remain seasonal even when playing without an internet connection. They can only play with other seasonal characters.

There is some way to transfer items between players in non-seasonal. You won't run into it if you+ friends are all seasonal.

Please help me make a decision!

zA9jtkP.jpg?1

The old level 58 one has worse stats. However, it already has a socket and has 14% more of a bonus. If these bonuses are multiplicative, and my minions are doing 4400% more damage due to my sets, then isn't that like...616% raw damage better than the other ring? Or am I thinking about that wrong?

If I should go with the new ring, which stat should I reroll for a socket? Vitality or life per hit?

• E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Do you have the mats to re-roll the 70 ring?

E.Coyote wrote: »

Do you mean just replacing a property or some kind of cube recipe I haven't explored yet, like a full reroll?

I have mats for replacing a property.

edited November 2018
    Do you have jewelry cubed? Krysbins is great to extract because then you’re getting 100% or 300% bonus.

Neither are particularly good because neither can get a crit stat and socket at the same time. (Edit: but dont get me wrong, either ring is better than any other legendary because of the bonus. But if you had a generic ring with better stats and your extracted jewelry power free, this could go there and you can wear the generic with better stats)

Also, a note on multiplicative damage: Rathma and Jesseth are not added together. Rathma multiplies your damage by up to 41x, and Jesseth by another 5x when active. Krysbins at 100% is double damage to slowed and quadruple damage to stunned/frozen/etc.

Noggin on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Talk to the enchantress ot whatever her name is in town to reroll a Stat. You might be able to get a socket.

urahonky on
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    I was thinking the full re-roll, but noggin brings up a good point with extracting.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Sporky, if you want, try this:

https://d3planner.com/

it's a really powerful character planner and should let you model your character and check damage of skills (including all those wonderful bonuses) to see if something actually is an upgrade or not.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Ya, they announced Diablo 3 almost 4 years ahead of release, and a bunch of the stuff they showed / talked about didn't even end up in the game.

I remember when they were saying runes would be something you had to find and level up

And barbarian had a stoplight instead of just a fury orb

Edit and the gloriously honest days when it was just gonna be Offensive Power instead of strength/dex/int

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    str/dex/int made more sense when the game was supposed to be about trading.

Kinda pointless now with the smart loot and all.

• fortyforty Registered User regular

Hmm. There may be special allowances for that...I mean you can't trade at all on console anyway so it wouldn't really break anything.
    The main reason they can't be mixed is because otherwise, someone with a non-seasonal character that they had been playing for years with Plvl 3,000 and insane gear could just drag a Seasonal character on day one through T13 rifts, level 100 Grifts, etc.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

Do you mean just replacing a property or some kind of cube recipe I haven't explored yet, like a full reroll?

I have the answer- Pull the legendary effect out of the 70 ring. Then you have it pocketed in the cube. And it Should pull at the max amount for that skill too. and now you need a new ring and get same benifit If its not satisfactory- re roll the lower ring to 70. win win

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    Agreed on extracting to cube, but a rerolled level 58 item will still be level 58.

I have the answer- Pull the legendary effect out of the 70 ring. Then you have it pocketed in the cube. And it Should pull at the max amount for that skill too. and now you need a new ring and get same benifit If its not satisfactory- re roll the lower ring to 70. win win

Right now my cube power is from the Oculus Ring, it makes circles on the ground I can stand in to do 85% more damage, but that's a lot more situational than Krysbin. I could swap the two, though my remaining Oculus is only 80% rather than 85%.

Also I must still not be fully understanding how all the damage and on hit stuff works in this game. I have a legendary gem, Wreath of Lightning, which has a 15% chance on hit to give me a lightning damage/movement speed buff. But it isn't happening constantly as my skeletons hit, so it must only apply to hits I make myself? I guess I'm using regular hits often enough for it to kick in but still I thought my "on hit" was my minions' "on hit." I mean, my damage is my minions' damage, right? Oculus's "damage is increased by 80% while standing in the area" applies to my skeletons? It's confusing.

I have another legendary gem called Iceblink that says "your Cold skills now apply Chill effects and your Chill effects now Slow enemy movement by an additional 6.6%." Are my Skeleton Archers a cold skill because they deal weapon damage as cold? Is my Ice Golem a cold skill? Command Skeletons with Freezing Grasp? And then Krysbins would apply to every enemy all the time?

Yes, on hit is your hits and not pets, unless specified by a skill like that one necro passive.

I believe Oculus ring applies to pets from you standing in it, not them.

I don’t think iceblink works with cold pets, but can confirm that the freezing skeletons will trigger the maximum effect of Krysbins for that specific enemy, until they “thaw”. I.e. once unfrozen, it’s back to the base effect of Krysbins if you’ve slowed them with bane of the trapped, decrepify, whichever else.

edited November 2018
    It feels so arbitrary, that damage I deal comes from pets but on hit does not, and cold pets aren't cold skills. I would assume using the ice golem's cold blast would count as a skill (since it's clearly like casting a spell and is on cooldown), but commanding the skeletons isn't? And yet some things in the game are really clear on that point like Inarius's set says "...increasing the damage they take from the Necromancer by 3750%" and you know that doesn't mean pets.

Anyway on a different note...I was trying to do the season challenge to beat a torment X regular rift in 6 minutes and kept getting terrible maps with stretches where you'd walk for 5 seconds with nothing at all. And somehow on one map there were like 7 treasure goblins clustered together which was insane! It wasn't the blue one that splits, there was a green one and a white one and a red one and a bunch of gold ones. I don't know if it was incredible luck or if that's a programmed thing that happens rarely.

UncleSporky on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Treasure goblin hordes are a thing, you just got lucky is all

Its usually tough as hell to get all or even most of them down

2x39jD4.jpg
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Treasure goblin hordes are a thing, you just got lucky is all

Its usually tough as hell to get all or even most of them down

I think I got them all, because torment 10 is a little easier than what I should be doing I guess, but just wanted to meet the challenge requirement. But yeah I didn't do that one in 6 minutes, there was so much to pick up!

Having my pet DHs @Betsuni and @zerospace195 along make clearing those goblin packs much easier. I don't know if it's a bug or something that just happens to me, but no matter what class I play I usually have 2 minions that clear rifts for me (ie I get carried like a boss lately cause they're quality people, but I'll never tell Betsuni that)