As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MLB] The Stove is HOT

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

Even though they lost, they still made it to the World Series two years in a row. While 27 other teams didn't make it that far at all either year.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but they were expecting to make the World Series those years. They have had the roster for years to win it. They keep not putting it together. I think if anything you give him next year and then move on.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    It's very difficult to make it to the World Series no matter how good your team is and the Dodgers lost those two series to extremely good baseball teams. And the year before, they lost the NLCS to an extremely good Cubs team. He made some mistakes this year, but the Red Sox won because they...played much better baseball

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    hire a co-manager who only takes over when they get to the World Series

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Fire all managers replace them with robots

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fire all managers and replace them with dogs.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Lance McCullers is having off season TJ surgery.

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular

I'm a big fan of bill james trying his best to ruin his reputation a little more each year.

• Options
    Angry wrote: »

I'm a big fan of bill james trying his best to ruin his reputation a little more each year.

He deleted it already, what'd it say?

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    lpj9v8a1q41y.jpg

• Options
    Yeah. I'm sure watching a bunch of beer gut softball dads would be just as entertaining as watching Javy Baez and Mike Trout.

• Options
    What a total asswipe

• Options
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Boston going from charming everymen and underdogs fifteen years ago to a universe of shitbirds brings me a little joy.

Also I think the Yankees are out on Machado if Harper is willing to move to first base.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    .. what?

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    ESPN has a report saying the Cubs are open to trading Kris Bryant. Theo Epstein has largely shot that down. I'm sure there's a hypothetical trade package that makes that make any sort of sense, but ultimately it feels even less likely than when the big rumor this season was that the Nationals would maybe trade Bryce Harper. Like...the reasons why they shouldn't are pretty obvious, right? I don't need to type all of them out?

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    .. what?

• Options
    HOT STOVE

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Mauer retired :(

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    People are salty that Ohtani won AL ROY over Andujar. Yeah he spent some time on the DL, but even looking past the dual role hype, Ohtani had a 77% higher WAR despite playing only 70% of the # of games Andujar did. Higher on base percentage and slugging too. They were both great, but most arguments against Ohtani seem to be 'he didn't play enough' despite still playing in 104 games.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I'm okay with Ohtani as rookie of the year. The part where I got annoyed was people counting Andujar's defense against him when Ohtani never played more than 9 games on defense. But he was definitely worthy. I'm shocked the NL side wasn't closer between Acuña and Soto.

Goose! on
  • Options
    I was all in on Andujar for ROY over Ohtani until I really dug into the numbers a bit and realized that Ohtani is the pretty clear winner

• Options
    Wrc+ of 152 to 128.

The only thing Andujar does well is hit and he wasnt even close to as good as Ohtani.

2.8 fwar to 2.7 fwar in 240 less at bats. The reason Andujars defense is held against him is because he might be the worst defensive player in the league and it costs him a ton of value.

THEN you factor in Ohtanis pitching, something no one has done in the MLB for a hundred years..

There's no argument for Andujar that's based in reality.

• Options
    I'm fine with Acuna getting ROY but it should have been close. What Soto did as a 19 year old hitter was insane. Recency bias no doubt played a big role in the votes. Acuna had a monster last 2 months and Soto struggled a bit.

Acuna is definitely the better all around player though. Soto needs a lot of work on his defense.

• Options
    On the surface Andujar looks better but as soon as you do any digging that veneer falls apart really quickly.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The argument I'd heard against Ohtani winning is that "someone who has been the face of Japanese professional baseball for years shouldn't count as a rookie."

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    The argument I'd heard against Ohtani winning is that "someone who has been the face of Japanese professional baseball for years shouldn't count as a rookie."

That's the dumbest argument of all.

• Options
    The Nippon league is equivalent to mediocre triple a and he was 23 years old to start the year so that argument holds no water.

• Options
    That's the bullshit line of thinking that cost Matsui ROY

• Options
    Degrom and Snell Cy Youngs.

Both the correct choice. I guess I wouldn't have been upset at Verlander and Nola either.

• Options
    Hey! They actually got the Cy Young right this year

• Options
    Take the text off and it'd be good. As is it's garbage

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    It looks fine with a black background but contrasts horribly against that white.

Need to see it on actual jerseys.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    d0dc3cca-4722-4636-b6ye07.jpeg

The M one looks a lot better

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    That’s actually both really classy and really miami

• Options
    Okay yeah, that black background one makes so much more sense.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Carson Cistulli from Fangraphs is joining the Jays pro scouting staff in a newly created role.

Very cool.

This discussion has been closed.